Hempy Veg time for roots to fill pots?

SAMMIE786

Hello

My first and last grow was a bag seed that ended up being a male but I feel like I know what im doing now so on to the next one
Now I'm planning to grow in coco/perlite hempys in 5 gallon or 3 gallon hempys - 2m by 2m grow tent - I got 4 Mars 2 led 1200w (actual watt 595w) will be vegging under 2 then adding the other two when on 12/12. 6 plants under each light 24 altogether

i know the answer to my question is dependent on lot of variables but IN YOUR EXPERIENCES assuming good conditions how long would I have to veg to fill the 5 gallon and the 3 gallons to get a good root mass?

by the way anybody know of any heavy yielding strains head high 8 week flowerers good genetics something hazey or cheese? I like to LST so maybe a strain that responds well to training.

if any of you tried Blue Cheese let me know how it went.

I wonder why no one took a pass at this...

Your basic question is how long to veg. This depends on what size you want the finished plant. When you go 12/12 indica dom plants will stretch very little while sativa dom plants will stretch up to 3 times their start size. What strain? If you are going to purchase genetics to fit your description look at indica dom plants

Good Luck

Last summer I made Hempys out of 3.5 gallon Rubbermaid "bathroom" waste baskets. The strain was Holy Grail Kush. I veged for either two or two and a half weeks. With that size container, I really should have veged for a month.

With a heavy Indica strain, as Buckshot was saying, zero veg in a 2 Liter is almost ideal. Still thinking of an Indica dominant strain, I think one week/per gallon of container seems to be the magic number for veg times.

I'm getting ready to flower out my former HGK mother plant. She's been in a 5 gallon Hempy for around three months, but is around 8 months old. Her stalk is as big around as my wrist. My point is, there is not an actual "carved in stone" time to veg. There are so many variables...I think the strain genetics are one of the most important.

If you establish a mother plant you could take clones and figure out exactly what that strain likes. I've never had an issue with root bound with Hempys, even with a heavy Sativa A Train strain that took 89 days. They ended up near 6' tall. That was in a 2 Liter Hempy.

Best of luck to your future endeavors.

There are way too many variables in order to answer your question directly. Growth rates of plants depend on so many variables. It's the reason this awesome site exists. A good rule of thumb I have heard is to assume that for every foot of plant height you'll need a gallon of soil. If you are skilled at controlling the height and shape of your plant as much as possible and know the strain genetics then you can plan for the height and know what size container you'll need. I like to make sure I have plenty of room for the roots so I make sure I have more container gallonage than I will have in plant height.

It'd be cool if there were clear pots with a removable outer light blocking shell. You could periodically check if the roots are hitting the edge then transplant when exactly needed.

I hope this helps Sammie

Back
Top Bottom