Hi from a happy senior, finally legal in Michigan this week

vtwin906

I used to grow about 25 yrs ago but collected too many other responsibilities and it was just easier to buy street weed, but now I'm retired and times sure have changed. I am awestruck at what I've been reading about the genetic development of weed.....omg auto-flowering seeds??? Sounds almost too perfect for the short outdoor growing season here on the shores of Lake Superior. I have a great southern exposure for my garden-to-be (tbd as soon as the snow melts) I will post some questions and other comments in other threads.

Lol, my vtwin is actually not a HD but I do have a cousin named Davidson who rides a Road King.

I may eventually check out some journals but imo growing weed is way over-thought. I used to collect seeds from from street weed and save them in a quart jar. I'd sort out the best looking ones, germinate a handful in a glass of water, pick our a couple dozen of the best looking quick-sprouters and had wonderful results.

I'm saturated with indica ... now with the all the choices online I am going to focus on sativa and see if I can spend more time upright... lol.

Welcome.
I'm from the midwest and it seems like all there ever is for sale is indicas. I'm not sure if I've ever had a sativa. I've probably had a hybrid though.

Congrats on the legalization!

Lol, my vtwin is actually not a HD but I do have a cousin named Davidson who rides a Road King.

I may eventually check out some journals but imo growing weed is way over-thought. I used to collect seeds from from street weed and save them in a quart jar. I'd sort out the best looking ones, germinate a handful in a glass of water, pick our a couple dozen of the best looking quick-sprouters and had wonderful results.

I'm saturated with indica ... now with the all the choices online I am going to focus on sativa and see if I can spend more time upright... lol.
Got rid of the road king and bought this chopper with an S&S 113 cu ,it burnt me out after having one that had rubber motor mounts , got tired of working on it. So while I was sitting at the stop sign got hit from behind, my helmet and I went into the front seat of the car and the bike went into traffic and totaled by a bobtail truck. Got scratches on both shoulders and that was it !

I used to grow about 25 yrs ago but collected too many other responsibilities and it was just easier to buy street weed, but now I'm retired and times sure have changed. I am awestruck at what I've been reading about the genetic development of weed.....omg auto-flowering seeds??? Sounds almost too perfect for the short outdoor growing season here on the shores of Lake Superior. I have a great southern exposure for my garden-to-be (tbd as soon as the snow melts) I will post some questions and other comments in other threads.
You are so lucky ...I live in a red state...its not gonna happen here...but god I pray it does...getting up in age...feel fortunate..

yes sir been to scared to even say my hands were green......that was unheard of.....never spoke about it...so bear with me as the shock of all this wears off.....just shaking my head still.....lol.......been reading my hemp history.....this is well thought out and orchestrated....i am really impressed.......

Congrats on the legality! I am happy too!!! We made the first step in Missouri on Dec 6... once they get everything in place, medical use and home growing will be legal for registered patients.
Good luck in your first grow in the 21st century! I too like autos for outside so I am not a slave to the season, but I hate them inside where I have total control.

:welcome:

I’m and old guy who grows.This is a great forum, if you have a question it’s likely somebody has experience to share, and it’s helpful and positive (the moderators do a great job too).

It will be some months before you can grow outdoors there. If you start some autoflowers on April 20 you might harvest your first by July 4. Sativa autos won’t quite bring you back Thai stick, but you can definitely get some nice buds. You’ll probably find some growers right around your area.

Indoor growing is easy now too. You’ll pay for an inexpensive setup with The first grow. As @Emilya said, autos are better for outside but less advantageous for indoors.

As an aside about sativa, commercial growers prefer hybrids for the short flower time and dense buds. Scraggly sativas that get harvested after 15 weeks of flower aren’t economical.

Good luck, I hope growing turns out to be as enjoyable and rewarding as it is for me.

:welcome:

As an aside about sativa, commercial growers prefer hybrids for the short flower time and dense buds. Scraggly sativas that get harvested after 15 weeks of flower aren’t economical.

Great description. Back in the days I worked, one of my computer network group names was 'Scraggle', created after I grew a particularly lucky batch of street seeds.

I think maybe the younger folks like the indica body buzz better than potential paranoia. The growers I know are 30 yrs younger than I but that may change soon with the new legalization.

It is still illegal here to buy or sell weed except for the regulated medical stuff so interesting times ahead. We can grow up to 12 plants but only posses up to 10 oz, so more than 3 plants could make me a criminal (again).

The older growers like yourself still tend to keep their heads down. They've seen what happens.
I agree with the earlier sentiments the reason we see so much indica/hybrid is pure economics. There's more harvests and more money with shorter flowering times.

The laws are not outdoor grow friendly. They do allow for a nice indoor rotation though. 4 babies 4 veg 4 flower. 3 babies 3/6 veg 6/3 flower etc. But a couple outdoor monsters easily puts you over the limit. Hopefully the lame duck legislation they introduced goes nowhere. Be a lot of pissed of people if they strip the ability to grow at home.

well words i am hearing is i can finally come out of the closet...i learned a great deal on the big island but forced to shelve it. We get hammered harder than anyone around which is such miscarriage of our justice system..i abandoned any thing to do with it because wanted to see my kids grow up..Now i am seeing avenues sprouting up....wealth of information...people helping people....i am truely honored and humbled by this...it just warms my heart and my mouth waters....considering a move to pursue my talents and hopefully ya can teach this old dog a few new tricks to add and pick up where i left off so long ago

Back
Top Bottom