Homer's Legal 4-Plant Max Perpetual Minimalist Garden In Ontario

I think thats so cool. Id love to see a start of flower to finish one. Of all the videos people post, this type of thing gets my fullest attention.

Glad you liked it, Baron. The camera is still running on this one and if it survives there will be a vid of it flowering.

Very nice video, new growth looks good. It could be overwatering like he said.

Thanks, Penny, I was figuring out things like color balance so it should be getting better. That is about the only culprit I haven't tested of the lists I have read so I am going to try and give her smaller waterings so it isn't so soaked.

The leaf curl started as early at 1:14 so it's been there from a very young age.

Yes and that is the part that I originally posted in a vid because it went so crazy moving because I watered it then. I think that is the first time I watered the whole pot with a full gallon. Before that, I did less than half a gallon so maybe it doesn't like being soaked because the leaves looked pretty much ok previous to that.

That video should be censored at the start... just sayin'...

At first, I was afraid I posted myself watering in my undergarments, lol. :oops: Then I looked at the start and figured out what you meant and was relieved. Funny both ways, lol...

My Sensi NL's are budding up nicely and it still seems that extra Calmag doesn't make any difference in bud size or quality as both plants seem pretty much the same.
21311.jpg

I think they have another week or so to go as I don't see any amber but lots of cloudy.
1232.jpg

231.jpg

Here are my Dr. Seeds 20:1 and Katsu x Pre98 with the 98 being comically small in comparison considering they are the same age.
2131.jpg

I bought a humidifier so have the humidity between 40-50% and the Pre98 seems a little less leaf curled but it still isn't normal. The humidifier worked miracles for my allergies. Odd the way my other plants are all doing fine but this plant is not happy here. Everyone else seems to be having good luck with Katsu's seeds so I don't know. I think I have just gotten really unlucky with some bad genetics/seeds. No big deal. The jars are full.

Here is the best synopsis of leaf curl issues I found here by a person called GreenDream. Why on earth do my leaves look like tacos? - Page 2 - New Growers - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums:

"There is a root cause to plant leaves "taco-ing" which is the plant not being able to draw up enough water to properly transpire.

This can, however, be due to 5 different problems, and any sort of combination of them to make it more severe. (IOW you may have three of them happening at a low level but they add up.)

Those problems are:

1> Too much heat. Plant can't transpire quickly enough to cool itself off.
2> Incorrect humidity. Plant can't transpire properly.
3> Too much nutrient. The osmotic balance in the root zone is off, preventing the plant from transpiring.
4> Too much light. Leads to problems 1 and 2
5> Nutrient deficiency. Mg def looks like this; (praying for magnesium), and Potassium deficiency directly affects the plants' ability to move water and transpire.
(Nutrient deficiency can be due to either incorrect pH or a simple lack of nutrients.)

Again, these are cumulative. For example, if you have a hot, dry room, and are feeding heavily, you will see the "taco" effect much sooner.
Conversely, you can see this happen in a cool, wet room because the plant is suffering a nutrient deficiency due to it not transpiring enough.
... This is what makes the taco effect such a b!tch to figure out sometimes.... it can happen in such a wide range of conditions.

Hope this helps!
tiphat.gif
"

Another one to add is any fans blowing directly across the tops. The warm temps and wind causes the leaf edges to curl up. Keeping the fans above the canopy prevents it obviously :)
Hey Sauga, nice to have you drop by. Hope all is well.

Funny you mention that because I actually stopped using fans on this grow because it makes the time-lapse look odd and also I realized how many amps they burn up. So trying without fans altogether. :p

Also, the plants are in the next room and the fans drive me batty and they don't last long.

Hey Sauga, nice to have you drop by. Hope all is well.

Funny you mention that because I actually stopped using fans on this grow because it makes the time-lapse look odd and also I realized how many amps they burn up. So trying without fans altogether. :p

Also, the plants are in the next room and the fans drive me batty and they don't last long.
Ya it's tricky to nail. I'm following a journal now and the guy's RH and temps are perfect(VPD Zone), lights are high and his feed program is sound so go figure.

Ya it's tricky to nail. I'm following a journal now and the guy's RH and temps are perfect(VPD Zone), lights are high and his feed program is sound so go figure.
Agreed. My Dr. Seeds plant growing alongside it has been happy as a clam all through its life under the exact same conditions so go figure. I suspect this is just a pheno that should have been culled.

Buying my humidifier turned out to be a blessing because I thought I was developing an allergy to my plants because the last few months I have been stuffed up and sneezing and even getting red-eye and it ends up it was the dry air. :oops:

Because of the timing I also thought it might have been from the pollen from my reversing attempt but now that I know it isn't the pollen and was the dryness I will probably be trying more reversing. I can't see it in your journal @Old Salt so I was wondering how your reversing turned out?

My first attempt was a partial success, I got over 200 seeds. Candida S1, and Candida x Cream & Cheese F1
I'll know how my second attempt went by the end of the week.
Excellent news, Old Salt!! 200 sounds pretty darn successful to me. Thanks for the info. Very encouraging.

Today I harvested my two Sensi Northern Lights so tune in tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel for pics and weights and interesting results from the great MC Cal/mag experiment. :headbanger: :party:

Yesterday I harvested my two Sensi Northern Lights clones that I have been experimenting on using Mega Crop on both and Calmag on just one. I didn't expect much if any difference because they have pretty much looked the same so to find the one with Calmag had an extra wet ounce was a bit of a surprise but at only about a 4% difference I am hesitant to say it was statistically significant. But one thing I didn't anticipate was that the plant that got the Cal/mag seemed to have more dense buds and the one without seemed to have a lot more flarfy lower buds so I may be using it in the future.

One thing I found surprising is that the total bud I got weighed about 3 lbs but the trim I weighed up weighed only about 1.5 lbs. My total bud weight was 48.5 ounces wet so using my previous conversion rate of 27% dry that should be a bit more than 13 dry ounces. My NL mother to these had 10 dry ounces alone but it was in veg longer and had the light to itself self so I am happy with this.

-po1i9i.jpg

y7.jpg

Here is my Dr. Seeds 1:20 and P98 newly under the flowering MegaLight taking the place of the NL's. You may notice a bit of difference in size between the 1:20 and my nemesis the P98 even though they are the same age. Hopefully, despite being such a sickly dwarf the P98 might bud up decently but I won't be holding my breath.
-poq1i9i.jpg

Against my better judgment, I am going to make two P98's my next attempted seeds. Despite 2 not breaking ground and the third being the sickly dwarf you see here I have another shipment from Katsu of seeds I haven't tried yet and hopefully fourth time is the charm. So many people grow his seeds successfully I must just be having spectacularly bad luck with the seeds I have tried. I hope. I have got enough of a stockpile I can afford to miss a generation so I am jumping in with both feet again. Kind of reminds me of Charlie Brown the football Lucy held. :oops:

yui.jpg

This fall it became legal for each household in Ontario to grow a maximum of four cannabis plants. Since then I have had one crop completed and harvested and a second in the final weeks of flowering right now but this journal will concentrate on my newest and third generation of plants.

Growing like many hobbies is an endeavour where there is always a new doodad or toy to buy to improve your garden and a person can spend a small fortune if they don’t draw the line somewhere. But my journal will take the minimalist approach as I am going to try to grow the most bud I can with the least amount of equipment and expense and effort sacrificing as little in quantity and quality as possible.

The truth is I already know from my previous crops I can grow way more than I consume so I don’t really have an incentive to spend time money and effort on massive crops when I can grow way more than I need so let’s see how much I can streamline the process and make it as easy and affordable as possible and still have lot’s of bud.

My first crop produced about 9.7 ounces but that was with four plants so my aim now is to produce that much or more with only two plants budding at a time and the other two in the vegetative room. So the challenge is to make two plants as large as four with an equal canopy by training and vegging longer. I will be doing a quadlining on all my plants with probably some variation. So my goal is to be able to produce about 10 ounces every 10 weeks averaging about 1 ounce of week and since I go through 1 ounce in about eight weeks I should have plenty, LOL.

Originally I grew four plants under one 600 W LED light which actually only draws about 275 W of power. So I took them from seedling to the end of their life cycle under one light. But since then I have bought a second 300 W LED that I am using now for the veg cycle and will use the 600 W LED for the flowering cycle. I am going to do a double grow room for two reasons. Firstly, I think I can grow more because I will have my two young plants vegetating getting as big as I want while the flowering two are under the budding light. And secondly, this way I get a crop finished twice as often so it’s more fun but I also think with two lights I can produce more bud with four plants that if I had all four plants just under one 600 W light the whole time.

I will be using Mega Crop alone as my only fertilizer. A lot of members on this site have had a lot of success with it as have I and it is very cheap and very simple as it is a one part fertilizer. I have been using their Bud Explosion on my current budding plants but on this new grow I will just be using the Mega Crop. I am thinking on my next future grow I will try an experiment with identical clones using the mega crop only on one plant and Mega Crop and all their additives on the other but I can’t do that currently because I have different strains going.

Against conventional wisdom, I will also NOT be adjusting my pH as I am takings InTheSheds advice that alkalinity is what matters and not pH.

My soil is coco with some worm castings and vermiculite but I will be switching to Pro-Mix because the mixture I have been using is almost $20 per 5-gallon container and the Promix is apparently about four dollars per 5-gallon container.

So that is my plan and let’s get started. I started my two plants February 14 so there will be a little catch up. My first plant is a cutting of Cannatonic from Resin seeds which hopefully is a high CBD strain for my knees and the other strain is a White Widow seedling from Dinafem for my head, lol.
I will catch up on this journal...same goal quality medicine with continuous yield and quality improvements.

Hey, cr8grow! Thanks for stopping by.

It is a lot of reading so I will give you the highlights of my system and feel free to ask. I try and keep it simple and I am getting about an ounce a week production with 4 plants max.

I use Promix HP and MegaCrop. I don't adjust my water pH and use tap water. That is about all there is to it.

My garden certainly is a constant source of entertainment for me because something is always happening in equal measure it seems both good and bad. Having a good stockpile in the freezer makes the bads a lot easier to bear.

My Dr. Seeds 1:20 and my P98 have been under the Nextlight MegaLight for about a week and I am greatly relieved to announce the P98 has really rebounded back in the last week. It seems the problem was excessive humidity because since getting a humidifier which since flowering it I have blowing right on the P98 it has perked right up un-canoeing its leaves and growing again.
321.jpg
5254w.jpg

You can see here by the light and dark marks on this leaf how much it has opened up from the way it was curled up so long.
kij.jpg

That is how they looked a few weeks ago.
12345.jpg

P98 has become my white whale and it is a battle to the end; I refuse to let this strain defeat me. I finally got one plant of P98 to start flower stage after the first two seeds not breaking ground and now the next generation of two seeds of P98 it seems have cracked seed casing so it looks like they won't live. Here they are.
5854.jpg
jghyf.jpg
jgyfh.jpg

I doubt they will survive so I started two more today.

1212.jpg

Because the first two seeds I started for my next generation were no good I checked the rest of my P98 with the magnifier and the rest of this shipment are also cracked so it is do or die with this pack. I am just going to keep trying them all till I get some that work or none are left but I am hopeful and happy about the one in flower.
jgugh.jpg

IMG_0016Done.JPG

I took a pic of my Sensi NL and although it is not nug of the month quality I am pretty happy with it because with all the great help out here I was able to get to that level in about a year and some. 420Mag, what a place to grow.

It seems the problem was excessive humidity because since getting a humidifier which since flowering it I have blowing right on the P98 it has perked right up un-canoeing its leaves and growing again.
I'm confused Homer. If the problem was excessive humidity why would putting a humidifier on them make it better?

I'm confused Homer. If the problem was excessive humidity why would putting a humidifier on them make it better?
Ummmm... That was a typo; I meant to say the problem was excessive dryness!

Caught up, and besides :party: for the harvests, I was also confused by that! Thanks for clarifying.

Humidity: good for your allergies, bad for the P98. Got it. :thumb:
Hey Shed, nice to have you stop by. I certainly have made a muck out of this humidity thing with my brain fart of a posting. I know I made it as confusing as possible but actually, Humidity: good for allergies and good for the P98. It was too dry and buying a humidifier helped the P98 and my allergies. :thumb:

My Katsu P98 and Dr. Seeds 1:20 have been under the flower light for almost a few weeks. The 1:20 is healthy and growing nicely into one of my bigger better plants. The P98, which was a canoe leafed runt in veg, is much healthier since I have had the humidifier blowing on it in flower. I actually stopped filming it in timelapse because I didn't think it was worth it since it looked like it was so sick, D'oh!! :rolleyes:

IMG_00212.JPG

Since I have put my 1:20 and P-98 into flower I have been trying to start more of Katsu's seeds to little success. I am now up to trying to start 7 of his seeds and so far all I have to show for it is one sickly plant. I have three soaking in a paper towel of only one which looks like it is sprouting but for such little growth in that time, I don't have a lot of faith in it because a previous one like that died.

IMG_0025a.JPG
1fa.jpg

My freezer is getting so full of jars of tightly packed bud I can hardly get anything else in there so I can afford to lose time on these seeds but more than the frustration of not having them sprout is just the mystery why all 3 separate shipments I got from him seem the same poor quality and yet everyone else on this site has great success with them.

I think the natural conclusion is I don't know what I am doing but in my defense I seem to be able to grow every other strain I get. It truly has me baffled.

Back
Top Bottom