How are you guys and gals drying your flower?

they sweat cause the cardboard is pulling it out. that is exactly how it works. cardboard is a million miles away from the fridge method, unless you are putting the box in the fridge lol.

there's nothing wrong with using it if you are facing high ambient humidity. it's how you get a proper hang in if you have a steady 70% or greater ambient rh. ambient rh is the atmospheric rh outdoor.
Yeah, horses for courses - whatever works!
:Namaste:

Yeah, horses for courses - whatever works!

you have to adapt to your conditions. most of us don't have the luxury of perfect natural conditions or can afford a climate controlled drying area.

i'm fortunate that i only have to adapt for dry now. i previously lived where i could face both too dry and too humid depending on time of year.

I have recently finished my first grow, and I did the wet trim of all the buds, laid them out on double-ply paper bags until the stems almost broke when you bend them, and then put into the jars and burped every day… I could not hang dry even if I wanted to because I had other plants in the tent still needing light. The wet trim is tedious, but it’s nice because you are pretty much done except for the drying and burping…

86BD799C-8C15-4550-B07C-A74C57F2D38F.png

I have recently finished my first grow, and I did the wet trim of all the buds, laid them out on double-ply paper bags until the stems almost broke when you bend them, and then put into the jars and burped every day… I could not hang dry even if I wanted to because I had other plants in the tent still needing light. The wet trim is tedious, but it’s nice because you are pretty much done except for the drying and burping…

86BD799C-8C15-4550-B07C-A74C57F2D38F.png

you might wanna try a foldable hang drying mesh bag. air circulates all the way around. the box method is best in higher rh. if you don't catch it at the right point the paper pulls moisture and will ruin the bud.

turkey bags are a far better alternative usually to paper, unless using the tried and true low and slow fridge method.

there are entire web pages devoted to warning against the paper bag drying method. paper bags used to be used to rush a harvest to market. it wasn't used for a proper dry or cure. realdirt has an entire podcast on it.

I think the advice to dry till the stems almost snap is misleading. I have stripped a plant after 2.5 weeks then rehung the carcass. The branches took another 3 weeks before the tips would snap. I hang at 65RH 70deg. for 2-3 weeks. When I pull the bud away from the main stem and it snaps off, it is dry. Jar and burp 10 minutes a day for 1 week. Burp twice in week two. Once in week three. Then once a month.

I hang wet leaves By string, usually about 5/7 Days with 2 Large rotating Fans . then My trim group comes over with their Fiskers and 6 Of us Trim for usually about 2 Days. then a full day Outdoors on newspaper of Bud. Then Jar it and I throw in a Small Orange Peel. 3/4 goes to Ounces and the shake is strained very Fine Powder to make hash Pucs in a childs Press found in Most Hobby stores. Takes maybe 2 Min of heat each with a hair dryer........very Popular. 10 Bucks each. their about 1 inch round. Just takes a fine screen and a square made from 2in wood. super simple. I've had Mine for 20 Years.
Good Luck.

DRYING IN 2021.jpg

CAT 11737 A MARIJUANA DRYING SCREEN.jpg

I hang wet leaves By string, usually about 5/7 Days with 2 Large rotating Fans . then My trim group comes over with their Fiskers and 6 Of us Trim for usually about 2 Days. then a full day Outdoors on newspaper of Bud. Then Jar it and I throw in a Small Orange Peel. 3/4 goes to Ounces and the shake is strained very Fine Powder to make hash Pucs in a childs Press found in Most Hobby stores. Takes maybe 2 Min of heat each with a hair dryer........very Popular. 10 Bucks each. their about 1 inch round. Just takes a fine screen and a square made from 2in wood. super simple. I've had Mine for 20 Years.
Good Luck.

holy shit. that really is old. i remember most of that from the 70's.
you have to be growing outdoor.

Correct. why not....It's legal. 6 VERY OLD friends on My block are Long time growers also.Plant Clones in March and harvest usually in late Oct. Same Sour D variety every year, same amount and same Harvest. Traditionally yield about 6/7 Lbs X 6 Local Pardners.
25 gal smart Pots, Raised off the ground with Bricks. Ocean Forest. next year were gonna switch up and go with 1/2 Sour D and 1/2 Blue Dream.
PH to 6.1
First Month 3 TBS of Magnesium for every 5 Gal water,The Powder you soak in with sore Muscles ie. "epson Salts" Then Hydro Grow Liquid Nutes till flower, then Hydro Flower. with a taste of VERY old 60+ year old stuff called "Superthrive"
I do NOT trim except cutting the tips Of leaves about a month or so before Bloom. Heres My wife doing some trim a few years ago on a few 22footers.......Im just a old Hippie My friends. New Fangled stuff doesn't work for me. This will be My last post.....Have fun guys. Heres the OLD hippie playing drums 45 Years ago.

IMG_4365.jpg

ME.....jpg

concert 3 early 70's.jpg

the shake is strained very Fine Powder to make hash Pucs in a childs Press found in Most Hobby stores. Takes maybe 2 Min of heat each with a hair dryer........very Popular. 10 Bucks each. their about 1 inch round. Just takes a fine screen and a square made from 2in wood.
Just out of curiousity, have you ever weighed several of the Hash Pucks. If so, how much did they weigh?

Correct. why not....It's legal. 6 VERY OLD friends on My block are Long time growers also.Plant Clones in March and harvest usually in late Oct. Same Sour D variety every year, same amount and same Harvest. Traditionally yield about 6/7 Lbs X 6 Local Pardners.
25 gal smart Pots, Raised off the ground with Bricks. Ocean Forest. next year were gonna switch up and go with 1/2 Sour D and 1/2 Blue Dream.

nice job.

don't have quite the climate here but i do remember the outdoor grows. process is a bit different. ours have to survive a light frost or two, and associated bud rot that could come with.

little hope of wk2 in october, if you get to see any october at all. wk 2 of sept is the last safe one. you have to start early indoor and go from there.

haven't done outdoor in ages. all winter indoor now.

i like drums. looking for an e-kit (ugh) as my living sitch won't let me practice otherwise now.

you might wanna try a foldable hang drying mesh bag. air circulates all the way around. the box method is best in higher rh. if you don't catch it at the right point the paper pulls moisture and will ruin the bud.

turkey bags are a far better alternative usually to paper, unless using the tried and true low and slow fridge method.

there are entire web pages devoted to warning against the paper bag drying method. paper bags used to be used to rush a harvest to market. it wasn't used for a proper dry or cure. realdirt has an entire podcast on it.
The laundry mesh hanging bags? Sounds like a good idea!

I'll jump in here :) I'm fairly new to high-quality curing and drying. I'm off-grid in Hawaii in a very humid environment, and have an outdoor greenhouse grow. I'm doing multiple small harvests per year, using photoperiod lighting to control flowering. During spring and summer when the sun is heating up the greenhouse, I can quick-dry the buds by fully trimming when green and putting them in open brown paper grocery bags lying on their side (open end crinkled up a bit to keep it wide open). I close the bags at night and reopen in the morning for another day of drying. It usually takes about 3-4 days for stems to snap (break not bend). In fall and winter, I can't rely on this quick-dry method, and have lost buds to mold because of this.

I am about to start work on building a small drying room (closet size), and have acquired a small dehumidifier. Not only is our ambient humidity very high, we are surrounded by jungle, and there's a crazy amount of mold spores in the air. The drying room will be essentially air tight, with the dehum running and monitored by a standalone digital humidity meter. (Eventually I'll have an automatic humidity-activated outlet for the dehum.) I'll also have a small oscillating fan running in there. I plan on hanging the bud branches on cords, trimmed of all leaves except resinous sugar leaves. I haven't completely worked out my protocol for curing and drying yet (temp/humidity/timing), but will be using my reference books to get started.

I will also likely add a small air conditioner to the drying room, to keep the temp around 72°F, which is what I hear is optimum. Cool, slow drying I hear is the best to preserve terpenes. Regarding "rehydrating," I don't know anything about that. I like buds that are crispy dry, because they work in the grinder very well. I like a fine grind for use in my vape. My bulk storage is in 1 qt. amber-colored mason jars, and I add 2-3 small moisture packs per jar. Due to our high ambient humidity, I find the moisture packs to be essential, and I use various size small jars – not plastic baggies – to hold buds.

Back
Top Bottom