How many days for seed to mature?

I do not leave pollination up to nature nor deliberately pollinate buds. But from having a few plants sprout some male flowers and doing the deed or from reading web pages it seems to be 4 weeks.

Just went on a google hunt and came across several thoughts and it seems 4 to 6 weeks is normal, with strains having an influence.

It has occurred to me based on what a couple of members here have said some of the time frame and mature size will depend on strain. It is not as easy to tell if a seed is mature by looking at the color or size. Apparently some breeders are producing small white seeds for sale through seed banks so trying to figure out the ripeness or maturity by looking for large or brown colored seeds might not be the best way to judge. Probably will have to collect them all, pick good samples based on size or color and run them through the "paper towel" method.

If you were to get 50 brown seeds and 50 white seeds then soak and sprout 5 of each pile. If 4 of the brown sprout then 80% germination of that test group. And, if 1 of the 5 white seeds sprout then figure 20% from that group.

The paper towel thing was not developed as a way to sprout seeds to be used for transplanting several days later. It was to figure the germination rate of a crop of seeds so the farmer would figure how many 50 pound sacks of seeds he had to buy to plant his acreage. Trivia for the day;).

Just wondering how many days a seed needs to reach maturity. Just incase I get lucky

Generally I flip my males and females at the same time.

The males usually will start dropping pollen (if not right away) within the 1st 14 days and it continues through flowering.
Right around day 14 through day 21 is when the females get their first burst of pollen from the males.

Usually I harvest around day 68-78 and by this time a good majority of the seeds are mature with tiger stripes.

So I would say given the timeframes in my grow from pollination you probably are looking at a minimum of 47-50 days for the first seeds to become mature.

Obviously this is strain dependent as some strains finish completely around day 55 and some strains like landrace thin leaves can go 100+ days even as long as 15 weeks or more.

Best way to check is to look for a seed pod and open it, and as the seeds mature the pods will tend to open up on their own and show the seeds.

Best way to check is to look for a seed pod and open it, and as the seeds mature the pods will tend to open up on their own and show the seeds.
Good point. The plant will drop the seeds when they are ripe even if there are still many flower buds that have not been pollinated yet.

The seeds ripen and then over the next week or so they pod material itself finishes ripening, starts to dry and then develops a crack. The seed separates from the plant and falls out.

In as little as 3 weeks a seed can be mature after successful pollination. What determines the actual speed i'm not exactly sure. Everyone says to give 30 days or more for seeds to mature before harvesting a plant that was pollinated, and that's good advice for a layman gardener or the average home medicinal grower, but the actual true answer to

how many days a seed needs to reach maturity

as little as 21 days. ive witnessed even faster speeds of a seed maturing, but 3 weeks is the safest statement. When everyone regurgitates "4-6 weeks for seeds to mature", that's one of those things the pros don't care if that bro science myth gets perpetuated cuz it aint hurting anyone. if anything it helps keep the drama and fighting down, but let it be known, if everything is right, seeds dont need that long....the plant may need a whole month to mature all the seeds, but an individual seed in an ideal situation is done super fast.
Did you know you can cut a branch from a flowering plant, put it in vase of water and mild nutes, pollinate it, and it will finish those seeds, even in 24/7 light schedule.

Back
Top Bottom