How much Calmag do you feed?

GrowThings

420 Member
I was just wondering how much Calmag people use for their Coco grows?

I previously used 0.5ml/L for the first 3-4 weeks then 1ml/L throughout the entire grow & bloom phase..

I hear some people do 1ml/L throughout, some go up to 2ml/L a week into flowering..

What're your thoughts? (I am now using RO water by the way)

From day 1. They were clones though. Never coco form seed so that may differ.
I only grow from seed at the moment because I like new flavours every time, I'll just slowly work them in from 0.5ml starting during the 2nd week and ease them into 2ml/L at the first sign of pistils! :) Thanks.

I give it when the plants ask for it.
I grow hydro and sometimes I need it sometimes I don't. Not really sure why.
Tap water is only 50ppm and I rarely use any before late veg. I buy soft water nutes, not sure if that makes a difference but i really don't use much calmag at all.
Maybe 10 shots of 0.5ml/l per grow in coco. Bit more in a reservoir but that's because I get iron Def in the res so buy calmag with added iron for that reason.

I give it when the plants ask for it.
I grow hydro and sometimes I need it sometimes I don't. Not really sure why.
Tap water is only 50ppm and I rarely use any before late veg. I buy soft water nutes, not sure if that makes a difference but i really don't use much calmag at all.
Maybe 10 shots of 0.5ml/l per grow in coco. Bit more in a reservoir but that's because I get iron Def in the res so buy calmag with added iron for that reason.
I should have mentioned, I am using RO water now, but even before I would suppliment calmag.

My tap water is like 320ppm as standard, got it down to 20 ppm with a dirt cheap 3 stage RO kit off eBay.

once they were settled from seed i usually mixed ro+cal mag to about 180-190ppm give or take. never had issues
was 1ml per litre, just started new one though which is more concentrated, can reach same ratio with 7ml per 10l.
seems all good still

Im honestly baffled as to why so many people use so much of the stuff mate.
I generally use less per grow than most folk round here use in a week.
Don't use it at all untill late veg.
Dutch pro a&b(soft water) I use, got absolutely no idea what's in it but been using them 4 years now.
Dutch pro contains 3.1% CaO and 1.2% MgO that might be why you use less supplemental cal mag.

Dutch pro contains 3.1% CaO and 1.2% MgO that might be why you use less supplemental cal mag.
And there we go, would make a lot of sense.
Bet you 90% of people could get away with only using a fraction of what they do though.
It's wierd, I've pointed this out a few times. Every weed forum has some sort of strange rumour that's gotten out of hand and taken as gospel.
Everyone on groweasy thinks everything is TMV.
Everyone on GC thinks autos are tiny and can't be trained.
And the vast majority of people on here use mass amounts of calmag the full grow without knowing why they do it.
Not having a dig, just something I've noticed. The amount of people I've seen cracking seeds in 300ppm of calmag is mental.

I used it consistently on my first crop but afterwards I wondered why and since then I've only needed/used it for a couple specific plants that seemed to need more calcium. That's coco plus led too. Usually run tap (well) water that's around 90-100ppm.
Yeah I use a lot of Coco and blurples which apparently both mean I'll need more but it doesn't make a difference.
People just assume they need loads and never question it.

This is what it looks like if I forget my cal mag lol.
20190531_213029.jpg

I am on my first grow, and so very limited experience. In coco, with LEDs. I did pre-buffer the coco with a pretty strong dose of cal/mag, given the ion exchange (coco has a lot of salt from sea water. Cal/mag pushes that salt out of place, and replaces it with calcium ions).

I started out at 0.3 EC of cal/mag with each watering. Very quickly my plants developed signs of calcium deficiencies on the leaves. I steadily increased the cal/mag and found 0.5 EC was the right dose for my situation.

So while I agree that using any nutrient (especially at double rates) is wasteful, and could be dangerous to the health of the plant, for me high levels of cal/mag have been successful. And, no, I haven't tried backing off those levels, as it seems to be working, and I don't want to mess with damaged leaves and weakened plants at this stage.

This is what it looks like if I forget my cal mag lol.
20190531_213029.jpg

Interesting... my problem was brown spotting on the leaves. Calcium deficiency for me. Perhaps yours is a mag shortage? Not sure, as this is all still quite new to me.

Interesting... my problem was brown spotting on the leaves. Calcium deficiency for me. Perhaps yours is a mag shortage? Not sure, as this is all still quite new to me.
It is a mag issue.

Back
Top Bottom