Maelasae

420 Member
Is this an actual tip that works? I googled it, seems as though it helps with web-looking mold growth around the base of the plants and keeping the roots healthy, is this true? Also, what is the mold growing around the rim of my pots? I've been cleaning it up every time I see it, so I haven't gotten a picture yet.

Hey Maelasae,

Yes please- we need to see a photo.…

theres a white mold that can attack the main stem, (at least from the version I’ve seen) it’s typically fatal to the plant if it takes hold.

theres also a whispy white mold or fuzz, thats some type of mycellium or mychorrize it’s a beneficial. This usually grows on top of the soil, but may disappear with exposures to light & watering.

H2O2 will defs sterilize the soil killing pretty much all of your beneficials, but it will also temporarily oxygenate your soil in the process. If you decide to nuke your soil with peroxide may want to redose with mycos & bokashi a day or 2 later.

hope this helps, but yes please drop some images and we can better advise

I use H2O2 regularly, either spraying on the surface or a small amount from the bottom to re-oxygenate the bottom of the pot - just don't overdo it, 0.5-1% is enough

Also, what is the mold growing around the rim of my pots? I've been cleaning it up every time I see it, so I haven't gotten a picture yet.
As mention a photo will go a long way to helping to figure out what is going on.

theres also a whispy white mold or fuzz, thats some type of mycellium or mychorrize it’s a beneficial. This usually grows on top of the soil,
People will spend good money for products that will add these Mycelium or Mycorrhizae to their soils. We often see messages where a grower removes this Mycelium thinking it is bad only to find out it was beneficial for healthy soils and now wants know how to get it back.

In the meantime, as @013 brings up, there is a chance that a mold growing on the stem can be a problem that needs attention. Other than that, it is a safe bet that any mold on the soil surface or in the soil itself is OK and maybe even necessary to having a healthy soil. Molds or anything that looks like mold on the old or new leaves and stems on the plant itself is a different story.

White molds and even yellow, blue or red colored molds are often signs that the various organic materials in the soil are still slowly decomposing and breaking down. Eventually these molds will go away on their own unless the grower is doing something wrong. One suggestion is to just stir the stuff back into the soil.

Back
Top Bottom