I say, what in the h e double hockey sticks!

Chucklesmoke

Team, my propagation of a certain feminized seeds from a random seed bank (starts with S ends with man) is more than flawed. 2 strains, 6 seeds. 24 hour bowl soak in RH water then straight to paper towels in the dark.. Next day, boom, tails on more than half, 2 of each strain to be exact.. everything still nice and moist. Stoked! Plant 4 cubicles in my chamber using Fox Farms Ocean forest, lightly watered, seeds down roughly 1/4", light soil on top. 4 days later. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. My current 15+ year old bag seed slayed it with the exact method (old sativa grow linky at bottom) So guys, what in the helllll is my major issue! TIA!

I'd carefully excavate and see what's going on. Sometimes they take a couple of days longer than expected.
I thought about doing that. I also realized where I may have blown it. I grabbed my soil out of my current grow tub. That particular plant is on week 12 flower nutes.. wonder if this would have hindered the process? Odd for sure.

Absolutely - some wait until the tails are 1/2 inch long before transplanting into the media. Personally I soak for 24 hours in water & liquid kelp but skip the paper towel and pop them into soil or a rapid rooter right away so when they appear the tails are already adapting to the grow media and have exposure to the nutrients in the soil mix from the get-go. I do utilize a light seedling soil mix at first….

I like rapid rooters…. also need to be sterile clean when handling tails but I avoid handling sprouted tails in the first place.

Sorry I should've used the grin emote, I was sort of joking since everyone is so sensitive about that particular random vendor.

eta: I definitely think week 12 flower nutes is enough to cook a freshly opened seedling.
Ha, no worries! I found out about the sensitivity the hard way! Lesson learned:D And yeah, I think your totally right, I realized my blunder, trying again with some fresh soil this time:rollit:

Absolutely - some wait until the tails are 1/2 inch long before transplanting into the media. Personally I soak for 24 hours in water & liquid kelp but skip the paper towel and pop them into soil or a rapid rooter right away so when they appear the tails are already adapting to the grow media and have exposure to the nutrients in the soil mix from the get-go. I do utilize a light seedling soil mix at first….

I like rapid rooters…. also need to be sterile clean when handling tails but I avoid handling sprouted tails in the first place.
After reading your response and finding many others use the same bowl of water technique, I decided to give it a try with the only seeds I have left from that order..White Widow.. I've always done the traditional paper towel method, with no problem, but repeating the same thing for different results is well...insanity! I'll pick up some fresh seedling soil and give this all a fresh round 2! Thank you for your help! :Namaste:

Problems with paper towels are:

Chemicals used to make the paper towels white
Chemicals to kill bacteria added to paper towels
Chemicals to scent the paper towels

These are all detrimental to seedlings.

I use peat pellets for seedlings not soil with fertilizers added that will be too strong for the seedling.

Not sure when that paper towel thing started but I know I used it first time back in the 70s before I knew better. I get better result with peat pellets and some seed @ $20/seed its kinda important I get good result.

Problems with paper towels are:

Chemicals used to make the paper towels white
Chemicals to kill bacteria added to paper towels
Chemicals to scent the paper towels

These are all detrimental to seedlings.

I use peat pellets for seedlings not soil with fertilizers added that will be too strong for the seedling.

Not sure when that paper towel thing started but I know I used it first time back in the 70s before I knew better. I get better result with peat pellets and some seed @ $20/seed its kinda important I get good result.
Bo, you ain't kidding! I burned up $60 worth of seeds so far and the only ones even remotely coming to life are the "freebies" they gave me. I use peat for all my normal veggies, why not for my favorite veggie?? Like you said, always did it with a paper towel, always worked. But needless to say, I'm digging my bag of pellets out right now! :Namaste:

Well guys, the water bowl trick ended up being the bees knees. Went straight from the bowl into seedling soil. So far 2 for 2. 1 more yet to surface. Appreciate all the tips!!

IMG_20210914_165127_Bokeh__01.jpg

blame the education system .. :p

from the 60's forward paper towel method was taught in grade school lol ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

think it was grade three or four when part of the curriculum was to teach how plants grew. the whole class sprouted seeds - non cannabis obviously - on the window sills of the classroom in either paper towel, or towel and glass method, so the class could see the moment a seed sprouted and the tap root.

We learn, we learn.....:rolleyes::D
I have the nutrient and amount listed in 3 different spots on each of the 7 jugs and 2 spray bottles I have. Never want to fuck that one up. I use i49 seeds btw. Always banger. Sorry guys and gals. I know it's not a sponsored bank either

I have the nutrient and amount listed in 3 different spots on each of the 7 jugs and 2 spray bottles I have. Never want to fuck that one up. I use i49 seeds btw. Always banger. Sorry guys and gals. I know it's not a sponsored bank either
Haha, right! I'm that way too. But it didn't even cross my mind as I scooped up spare soil from the big girls box.. expensiveish mistake. Luckily the free White Widows that came with my order are 3 for 3 thanks to everyones help. Def will check out I49 seeds, thanks for the suggestion!!

blame the education system .. :p

from the 60's forward paper towel method was taught in grade school lol ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

think it was grade three or four when part of the curriculum was to teach how plants grew. the whole class sprouted seeds - non cannabis obviously - on the window sills of the classroom in either paper towel, or towel and glass method, so the class could see the moment a seed sprouted and the tap root.
I so remember this. Using the terrible Brown paper towels from the boys bathroom. But, it worked. Lol..

Back
Top Bottom