Icemud's aka Muddy Genes Beans Test Grows: Seed Genetics Trials

Hey Everyone, Happy Friday!!!

My apologies I haven't updated in a while... My job has had me mentally drained lately so by the time I get home I make food, and hit the bed... I have to say I love parts of my job in the aerospace industry but other parts of it are the most stressful job I've ever had.

So as for the Muddy Genes Test grow, all things have come to an end. I culled both plants on March 6th, which is day 67 of flowering from the flip to 12/12. This grow went fairly well for the most part. I didn't defoliate so some of the large fan leaves late in the grow have crumpled up and dried up so the pics dont look as pretty as they would have if I would have pruned and defloliated.

I am quite impressed with both strains that finished this grow. Both are extremely frosty, have very strong terps and are dense buds. The Classified OG (Ogiesel x Apollo 13F4) finished very quickly and could have been culled about 2 weeks ago but I was trying to harvest both of them at the same time to use my tent for a drying area to minimize smell. The (GDP x Deep Chunk) x Alien Antifreeze on day 67 probably could have been run another week or maybe even too, but i didn't want to delay the Classified too far where it degraded.

One of the changes I made this grow was I purchased plant pot risers which are waffle like plastic inserts that the pots sit on and it give them about 1" of rise to allow the draining feedings to drip into the tray and keeps the pots from sitting in the water. Definitely helped me with better watering practices.

Both plants were cut at the stem base, and hung upside down in my grow tent. I have a small vaporizer in the tent set to a humidity of 60% RH so hopefully it will keep the RH high so they dry slow, and I set the extraction fan to low to minimize them drying out quickly.

I'm going to dry the plants out over the next week or 2 weeks and then will trim them up and take some photos....

The terps on both plants are really strong but its hard to tell what exactly the smell is.

The Classified OG has a very dank skunky kush smell with hints of something else like a coolwater cologne smell.
The GDPXDeep ChunkxAlien also has a very complex terp profile, mixes of armpit bo, skunk, kush and grape

Since My last post was day 25 of flowering I will post some of the photos along the way in the following posts.
I’ve always heard we’re growing buds not leaves so as long as your buds are healthy. I sure don’t mind. I just love to see your pictures. I’ve watched a few of your grows.

Hey DreKoola!

Glad to have you come through! Sorry I sort of neglected my updates but I will be continuing on with a new grow after this one is complete with all new genetics I made and haven't tested yet... STill deciding on what I will run next.
Glad I could help! I love to see your work. You do great work…good that you getting back to it. I’m here to stay 😝

Hey Everyone.. I'm still alive and well... work has had me extremely burned out lately that all I want to do is come home, eat, flip on the tube and pass out... but hey.. weekends are nice to blaze a little and enjoy some relaxation right :)

Happy Friday everyone....

So here is a much overdue update on my Muddy Genes Test Grow 1.....

To dry the buds this time I used a humidifier inside of my tent. I hung the plants upside down, turned my extraction fan to very low as I wanted to keep a higher humidity, turned off the circulation fan and added a humidifier set to 60%. The plants took about 2 weeks to fully dry and even at 2 weeks the Purple Chunky Alien was a little moist inside....

I picked up a $20 Mason Jar sealer off Ammmazon, and what a well spent 20 dollars. Its a tiny rechargable "cup" that goes over the top, pumps out the air and seals the jar. Its not perfect and takes a few tries to get it to seal sometimes but when it does the lids are pretty tight. Anyhow after trimming the dry buds, i popped them into mason jars, sealed them and threw the jars in my fridge. Never tried fridge curing but wow.. I definitely like how it kept the terps fresh and how it cured the buds to a spongy feel, vs a dry dense feel in warmer jars from prior grows. Every few days I would pop the jars open, let them breath for an hour or so, and re seal them. Did this for about 2 weeks and then the bud was ready to try...

Here is how it smoked:

Classified og
Ogiesel x Apollo 13F4

20% Skunk 10% black liquorish, 20% pine and 50% kush to the nose when bud squished. Terps pretty strong…would say 7.5 Out of 10. Definitely a half Mason jar half full open is enough to stink up a room quickly. Buds are pretty dense and grow a lot like og kush with very little trimming needed and large chunky dense buds separated by long internodes.

Smoking and high.
The high on this strain is a creeper where after a hit or 2 you feel it but almost in an unsettling way where you know you are high but questioning how strong it actually is. About 5 minutes later the high strongly intensifies and is very Trippy and euphoric where after only 3 or 4 hits you feel almost out of body and completely disconnected with time and space…it's very strange and I honestly haven't felt like this from weed since I stated smoking a long time ago. Strength I would say it's a 9 out of 10 or higher.. very amazing strain. Definitely a trippy heavy indicator smoke. Upon inhale terps at first are minimal and a minty kish flavor but light. After exhale is where the swell of flavor kicks in. Skunk, kushy, maybe a hint of sweet citrus/sour and a kushy bite to the flavor. Very delicius and complex. I think overall this is an amazing strain and if phenohunted, there is some real magic in this line. I think the one I got was very ogiesel heavy and I would like to see what other phenos have to offer within its seeds on future grows. Definitely one that would pair nicely with other like pine/kush flavor buds.

Chunky purple alien
Gdp x deep chunk x alien antifreeze

Terps on this are extremely strong. 9.5 out of 10 for terps. Nose on bud is about 35% “norcal purps” terps, 35% naval orange citrus, 10% new shoes terps, and about 20% Skunk dank terps…

Smoking and High

Upon inhale the terp profile is overwhelmingly strong On exhale and the blend of flavor is similar to how the bud smells…naval orange, purps and a shoe leather with hints of Skunk Weed and bits of armpit inhale is very smooth and enjoyable. Upon 2 hits…the high hits you right in the forehead..right in the 3rd eye and immediately Uou know you are high. Focus seems clear but heavy in the eyebrows, a thinkers high where thoughts run wild quickly but functionally clear and concise. Definitely heavy where additional hits could be overpowerfully strong. High strength probably a 8.5 out of 10 or higher. Also a creeper where over time the high intensifies. 20 minutes in the high seemed to intensify more where a full body relaxation came into effect but the head and thoughts feel fairly scattered but racing and eyes feel tired but wide open with heavy eyebrows. Later in the high this becomes very indica heavy and its great for long mid day naps. Puts you in an almost dreamlike state as the energy fades to deep thought. Very delicious and absolutely would love to make more of these seeds.

Thanks everyone for bearing with my long internodes between posts.... I appreciate everyone who followed along and contributed to this grow! I hope all of you are well and happy growing!

I have started my next Muddy Genes test grow and have some new and exciting crosses that I made which are being put to the test.

Hey Everyone... I'm back!!!!

Lets get started!!!!

. Next Grow coming soon!!!!

***This is an obvious spacer in my journal to separate the last grow from this one...

More Obvious spacing! lol

Hey everyone!!!

____________________Welcome to Icemud's "Muddy Genes Beans" Test Grow #2_______________________

Originally I was going to do a new journal for the next grow, but I reached out to 420 Mag staff and they were kind enough to change my journal title to make this thread and ongoing journal for all of my test grows instead of just grow #1, so thank you to the hardworking staff here at 420 Magazine for always being frigging aweseome!

So I've been working like crazy lately so I haven't had much time lately to post, but I started my 2nd Test grow around April 6th, 2024. I decided to choose 5 new strains that I made in my past projects and test them out. I figured I would run 3 of each strain (if possible) which should hopefully give me a female of each at least, but past grows have shown this is not always the case. Lets cross our fingers for a lot of females.

I have so many strains that I made to choose from, it was very hard to select which ones I wanted to run, as they all are exciting and new...

So here are the strains I selected: (all made by me in past open pollination projects)
***also listed in order from left to right when looking into my tent __for reference
  • GG#4 (Original clone I had for many years) x 88G13HP (Hazeman)
  • Chocolate Thai (Hazemans originally DrawOH) x Harlequin (Clone I had kept for many years)
  • Orange Fruity Pebbles OG (Obsoul33t ) x Birthday Cake S1 (Cannarado)
  • Private Reserve OG (Clone) x 88G13HP (hazeman)
  • Ogiesel (Clone I had for many years, originally SocalDam Genetics) x Sour Grapes (Hazeman)
  • Gotham Limited = (Trainwreck (original clone I had for many years) x 79’ Xmas Bud (Hazeman Pine Tar Kush F2)

Soil:
Promix HP (no additives or amendments)

Lights:
3x Budmaster lights (I custom swapped the mods from 2 different series to give me 2 white cobs and 2 "blurple" modules on each light. I can flip the switch for each when needed. In veg only running 1 mod on each light 300w, in flower depending on temps and situation I will run at either 300w or 600w total.

POTS:
On this grow I am trying some new pots. I haven’t used fabric pots in a long while, so I picked up 3 gallon fabric pots but they are the width of 2 gallon pots and much taller.
Also I picked up plastic plant risers last grow and I really like them as they lift the pots out of the trays and allow them to drain better and get better airflow, and not as saturated.

Nutrients:
  • I picked up some of the House and Garden series about 5 years ago when a local grow shop went out of business and got them for almost free. I have the Soil Part A and B, Top Booster, Bud XL and Nitrogen Boost. I am following the H&G feeding chart exactly as it is online.
  • Unsulfured Molasses 1 tbsp per 5 gal
  • Superthrive 2-3 drops per 5gal
  • Neptune fish and seaweed 30ml per 5gal
  • Jacks calcium nitrate dry 1/2tsp per 5gal
  • Bushdoctor Kangoroots (microbes) 20ml per 5gal
Using RO filtered water

Environment:

• 2x4x72 grow tent (actually closer to 2.5' x 5' x72")
  • 6" inline fan on speed controller on low/med
  • large carbon scrubber
  • humidifier set to 65% in veg
  • small 9" circulation fan (fixed)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Germination:

Seeds were germinated via R/O water on a warm surface for approx. 24-48 hour until cracked, then immediately placed in pure promix hp, no additives. Each strain was popped seperately 1 at a time, so the oldest growing is the gg4 x 88g13 HP (from left to right in the tent) and the youngest being on the far right, the Gotham Limited (TW x 79Xmas Bud)

Immediately after planting I topdressed the soil with some powdered rock dust and some organic powdered fertilizer blend from T&J Enterprises (BID recommended this to me a long while ago) and I still have some and like it for top dressing. Smells kind of funky, like a stinky belly button..LOL but works like a charm.

Early Veg
The first feeding after the soil dried out from the initial RO water only feeding I started on the House and Garden chart. Each week I have been following the chart.

Both of the 88G13HP crosses (gg4 and the private reserve og) seem to be very finicky and had a little rough start getting used to the soil. I think they were just really nitrogen hungry and since promix is rather plain when not amended, I think they were waiting for their food. Once I hit the H&G schedule they started to get healthier.

I love seeing my creations grow. Its really interesting seeing what traits come through as dominant, how the terpenes come through and just also the surprise of what happens makes my test grows a lot of fun.

Lets check out whats going on in the grow:

I invite everyone to follow along and join in! I will try to update as frequent as time and motivation allows but feel free to particpate however and whenever!!!

Also happy Memorial Day weekend to everyone!!!

April 6th:

Only the GG4 x 88G13HP had been popped and into soil and sprouting:

April 17th:
While looking into the tent (left to right)
  1. GG4 x 88G13HP (far left)
  2. Harlequin x Chocolate this (far left 2nd position)
  3. Birthday Cake S1 x Orange Fruity Pebbles OG (OFPOG)
  4. Private Reserve OG x 88G13HP

April 23rd
All seeds have popped so far.. added ogiesel x sour grapes to the tent

April 27th
Gotham Limited has been added to the tent. 2 out of 3 that cracked went into soil but only 2 sprouted. All strains and plants now have sprouted and are showing leaves. There is about a 2 week difference in age from the far left of the tent (GG4 x 88g13hp) rows to the far right rows (gotham limited).

Full Tent:

GG#4 x 88G13HP

Harlequin x Chocolate Thai

Birthday Cake S1 x OFPOG

Private Reserve OG x 88G13HP

Ogiesel x Sour Grapes

May 3rd:
All of the plants now are starting to take off. I believe this was the day of the 1st feeding I gave them with the H&G nutrients. You can see the rock powder and top dressing dry fertz as well on the top of the soil.

Full Tent:

GG#4 x 88G13HP

Birthday Cake S1 x OFPOG

Ogiesel x Sour Grapes

Gotham Limited (trainwreck x 79xmas bud)

May 11th:
Plants are really starting to take off now!

Full Tent:

May 18th:

Full Tent:

GG#4 x 88G13HP

Birthday Cake S1 x OFPOG

Ogiesel x Sour Grapes

And that brings us to today!
May 24th......

The girls this morning were looking pretty droopy and ready for a feeding so I gave them their Veg Week 2 feeding:

Each of the girls got 2 cups of nutrient water. I let the plants soil get pretty dry early in veg so those roots really stretch down into that deeper pot.

Hopefully I will get some robust buds at the end.

Topping:

The plants all at least on their 3rd and 4th nodes so I decided it was time to top the girls (most of them) which were ready to be topped. Although I would like to grow them out without any manipulation, being this is a test grow I want to top them, stress them a little to see if they hermi or have any oddities that I can note. Therefore I like topping as I have had it flip a few plants In the past if done too extreme.

Before Topping

After topping:

Ive been growing the plants mostly under the white full spectrum cob side of my LED panels, however the last week I flipped them instead to the "blurple" mods instead (same wattage as the cobs, just different spectrum). The plants really have responded to the blurple well in veg so I will continued to use it for now. I will probably flip back and forth a few times during veg to see how the plants respond and if any freak out or abmormal things occur.

Here are the plants individual shots as of today:

GG#4 x 88G13HP

Birthday Cake S1 x OFPOG

Ogiesel x Sour Grapes

Back
Top Bottom