Icemud's How To Make Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

Well I hope everyone had a great holidays!!!!!! and here is to a amazing New Years!!! (flicks lighter, inhales as I slowly hold the flame to some lime green buds, hold in the smoke and exhale) smile :)

That time has finally come!!!!! I hope I still have an audience for the feminized seed project. I apologize that it has taken this long but we are finally ready to get started!!!!

So today is the last day of 18/6 and after a long 12 hour night tonight, tomorrow will officially be day 1 of flowering :) Time to get started on the seed project!

So in case you are joining now and want to know how to make feminized cannabis seeds, then go to the very 1st page of this journal and you will find step by step instructions with photos on how to do the entire process. As we start this process I will describe each step as it comes but if you want the quick rundown, page 1 is the key :) At the very end of this journal I also will do a video on how to do this too, so will be taking photos almost every 2 days and some video along the way :) If you have questions, ask and I will try to answer them not only in the thread but also the videos along the way for others to learn. If I don't know the answer, with time allowing I will try to get the answers too relating to breeding and making seeds.

Well, even though today technically isn't day 1 of flowering yet with a long night still approaching after lights out, I decided to prep my Ogiesel (the one which will be used to create pollen) for the process of creating pollen. Since a little bit of pollen sacks go a long way, and to reduce the chance of pollen spreading outside of my tent, I usually trim all branches off except for 1 or 2 main stems. Pretty much a serious lollipopping. The reason is the more branches and leaves on the plant that will be turning male, the more colloidal silver it takes, and the more pollen sacks that will develop upping the chances for pollen to get everywhere. I found on my 1st seed run, that a little pollen really spreads easily, so by reducing the sack quantity, the pollination can be more controlled. This is not necessary but highly suggested in the process.

I decided that even though tomorrow will officially be day 1 of flowering, I would give the Ogiesel a spray of colloidal silver. ***VERY IMPORTANT!!!! DO NOT SMOKE OR INGEST ANY PLANTS THAT YOU HAVE SPRAYED WITH COLLOIDAL SILVER, THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU AT ALL!!!!! DO NOT DO IT!!! now I searched and searched for the reason why not to, and didn't find any reason, but many many sources say not to do it, so I take that as a good idea don't! LOL

It is important that you remove the plant you will be spraying with colloidal silver, far away from your other plants as #1 as mentioned above, you don't want it on any plants you will be smoking, and #2 you don't want the CS to get on the other plants as it may cause issues in preventing them from flowering properly.

Colloidal silver basically blocks the hormones that allow for a plant to flower which causes the plant to develop male pollen instead.

So I removed the Ogiesel from my tent, and sprayed the leaves (top and bottom) with colloidal silver, and also made sure to coat the bud nodes. Once the plant was sprayed I put it carefully back into my grow tent with the other plants. I set my clock to 12/12 schedule also to put the plants into flowering.

For the 1st 7 days (1 week) you want to spray the plant you are creating pollen with, 2x per day. I recommend 1x in the morning with lights on, and 1x before lights off in the evening. Make sure each time to coat the entire plant leaves top and bottom and all nodes where buds will form.

**there are other methods of doing this, some people only spray 1 branch but I am only going to instruct you on the way that I know works perfectly and is easy that you will nail it your first time. feel free though if you know other ways to share them in this journal as this is instructions for anyone who wants to learn.

So really for these first 7 days, I will be doing exactly the same process. Take out the ogiesel, spray it entirely, put it back in the tent (2x per day).

As we get further on I will describe the rest of the process as we do it and watch the plant flower and then change.

For all other plants that will be remaining female and eventually receiving pollen, just do as you always do with flowering plants and just care for them as needed, water as usual, and be sure not to get any colloidal silver on them. At this time you also can leave any circulation fans on as you usually would, or you can turn them off it there is a chance it may blow CS into your tent. Nothing needs to be done to the other plants outside of the norm at this time. You will want to turn off all fans though around day 14 of flowering before pollen starts developing or you will have it everywhere.

Make sure to keep your grow area clean and tidy which will allow for easier pollen cleanup to prevent it from getting everywhere later down the line.

I fed the girls 2 days ago when I got back from my holiday vacation. I gave them each 2 cups of R/O water mixed with botanicare pro gro, and calmag. I noticed my mendo grape kush was still struggling as well as my tangie 5, so I took both of them to my tub, and for each pot ran 5 gallons of water through it to flush out the soil (which is a result of the recycled soil). It worked for both my GG #4 and Harlequin in the tent which now are thriving in the old recycled soil so hopefully it will help these plants make it through this grow :)

Other than that I turned the Budmaster HPS LED's on full power since now at 12/12 they require more intensity and am ready to see the magic happen :)

At this time there isn't much else to describe in the process so how about some photos :)

20161228_190603.jpg
20161228_190616.jpg
20161228_190609.jpg
20161228_182520.jpg
20161228_182528.jpg
20161228_182549.jpg
20161228_190552.jpg
20161228_190554.jpg

Update time!!! Day 6 flowering (from the flip)

So today is the 6th day of flowering since I flipped the lights to 12/12 and I have been spraying my Ogiesel with colloidal silver 2x every day, once in the morning around lights on and 1x at the end of the daylight period before lights off. I haven't seen any flowers pop yet on any of the strains but I know about any day I should see them all pop, so soon we get to the exciting part :)

Other than that, some of the plants needed some water as they were a little saggy so I gave the ones that needed water just plain r/o water, with some co-enzyme, mycos/bacteria blend and cal/mag. I wanted to space out actual feedings of NPK because I think that is what was causing issues with the plants that were still in my old soil blend. Next feeding they will get a full soil drench/earthjuice tea which will most likely be close to the weekend if not Sunday!

I hope everyone had a safe and happy new years 2017! I did :) not very exciting as I don't "party" anymore so I just watched some movies that I have wanted to catch up on and ate all my leftover holiday sweets so I can now focus on losing weight :) lol

Here are some of today's photos :)
20170103_181556.jpg
20170103_181549.jpg
20170103_181542.jpg
20170103_181407.jpg
20170103_181359.jpg
20161228_190622.jpg

Hey everyone!!!

So the process has been going good, and things are looking as they should on day 9 (from the flip) of Flowering.

Each day for the first week I sprayed the Ogiesel 2x with colloidal silver, once at night before lights out, and 1x right after lights on. After day 7 now I am only spraying the Ogiesel once per day making sure to remove it from the tent and other plants with each spraying, letting the colloidal silver drips fall off, and then carefully placing it back into the tent..

In case you are just tuning in, do NOT spray colloidal silver on any plants you will be smoking! its best to spray in an area away from other plants to prevent any overspray.

The tangies are both showing the first flowers to pop and did so on day 7 of flowering and the others are just starting to show more pistil formations but still not a full flower set yet. Generally I find anywhere from now until day 12-15 is average for the full flower to pop from the flip to 12/12 so really any day the rest should pop. The ogiesel is usually one of the slower to show flowers so its just starting to form more pistils, but on the ogiesel that is being sprayed with colloidal silver, you can already see the pistils looking slightly more tightly clustered and fatter bottomed than the non sprayed females. :) Its very slight as far as the difference, but I can already start to notice it. Other than that, the Ogiesel that is being sprayed with CS, the leaves are quite spotty and almost resemble a spider mite attack with all the little spots. Its ok though, as this happened last time and the plant was fine through pollen production.

I am preparing a tea for the plants and decided to pull out my t & J bio mineral mix that I haven't used in a while, along with some biovam biological and bennies, some kangaroots which is beneficial bacteria and mycos, some cozyme which is enzymes, some mammoth p which is dedicated phosphorus microbes, yucca extract, maxicrop liquid seaweed and added a little azomite and gypsum. (trying to use up the rest of my azomite, as I am not to certain on its composition for future use). Its bubbling away and will most likely be used later tonight or tomorrow as some of the plants are looking a little saggy, others are good for a few more days.

Well here are the photos from day 9 flowing..
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_10_.jpg
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_1_.jpg
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_9_.jpg
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_2_.jpg

Here is the ogiesel sprayed with colloidal silver
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_3_.jpg
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_4_.jpg

Here is the ogiesel that is NOT sprayed, and female

Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_5_.jpg
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_6_.jpg

Here is both of the tangie phenos showing a nice flower already
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_7_.jpg
Marijuiana_seeds_LED_grow_8_.jpg

Hey Icemud

when do you start seeing the pollen sacks? I'm about 2 weeks in but not seeing any definite pollen sacks. There are barely any pistils showing as well. Been spraying 2x a day with 50ppm CS.

Hey Icemud

when do you start seeing the pollen sacks? I'm about 2 weeks in but not seeing any definite pollen sacks. There are barely any pistils showing as well. Been spraying 2x a day with 50ppm CS.

Generally around day 20-30 you should see a good cluster of pollen sacks. You may first see what looks like normal flowers forming but then they will show less and less pisils (white hairs) and you will see the flowers start to swell and the sacks start to form instead of pistils. Some strains take longer to flower than others. My tangies popped flowers within 8 days of flipping 12/12 while most of the other strains are just starting to show flowers on day 14 and some still have another few days to really pop.

Give it another week to week and a half of spraying, you can keep doing 2x a day or just do 1x per day. Just make sure you are getting all the budsites really well, especially the main tops. Also spraying the leaves doesn't hurt, I soak mine with CS both tops and bottoms.

You should see flowers within the next week, and within the next 10-15 days you should see pollen sacks form too :)

I will post photos of mine every 2-3 days to show the progress. Currently I am only spraying 1x per day but a heavy soaking.

Quick update

Day 13 of flowering from the flip.

The plants are all showing signs of flowering but still have yet to fully pop their flower sets. The tangies have been ready since day 8 popping very early but the others seem to be taking their good old time. I decided since my tangie 3 was not looking so hot to give her a good flush, follwed up by a compost/tandj tea 2 days ago. She seems to really look happy and perky today so just a little salt build up or something was keeping her ill but now all is good.

Other than that not much else to report on today.

I have been spraying the ogiesel 1x per day since the first week.

Here is the Ogiesel being sprayed with CS

20170111_003204.jpg
20170111_003223.jpg
20170111_003252.jpg

Here is the Ogiesel that will stay female (no spray)
20170111_003338.jpg
20170111_003348.jpg

Here are the full garden photos
20170111_003309.jpg
20170111_003315.jpg
20170111_003322.jpg
20170111_003327.jpg

Tangie 5
20170111_003355.jpg

GDP
20170111_003407.jpg

Today makes day 19 of flowering (from the flip) in my seed project garden and things are looking really good.

The Ogiesel that I am spraying 1x per day with colloidal silver is really starting to change from the female flower to looking like the pollen sacks are just starting to form. A very noticible difference when compared to the unsprayed Ogiesel clone that will be receiving the pollen.

You will see the difference in the side by side photos.

Other than just daily spraying of the Ogiesel, not much else to report on today.. so here are some pics...

Ogiesel that is being sprayed with colloidal silver and will develop pollen
20170115_183343.jpg
20170115_183348.jpg
20170115_183357.jpg
20170115_183409.jpg
20170115_183413.jpg

Ogiesel that is not recieving any spray and will remain a pollen to be pollenated...
20170115_183446.jpg
20170115_183449.jpg
20170115_183453.jpg
20170115_183458.jpg
20170115_183503.jpg

A few other female flower close ups...
20170115_183512.jpg
20170115_183319.jpg
20170115_183325.jpg
20170115_183336.jpg

Full tent views
20170115_183238.jpg
20170115_183246.jpg
20170115_183255.jpg
20170115_183305.jpg

New Update video using my brand new shiny new smartphone :) lol

supposedly shoots in 4k so the video should be really crisp :)

Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;P5jKQQ532n4]
[/video]

I can see the beginings of some male clusters on the one being sprayed. Things are going to be so interesting in the upcoming days....weeks....months! God I love this stuff! *smiles* Good to see that you're still keepin up and keepin on Icemud. As I've said before, you have a way about your journaling that just makes for a good read. Much props to you. Plants are looking good as usual and those lights....*whistles* what can I say about the lights? Been savings all my extras to hopefully have enough for one of them bad boys. But to decide wich one, sheeeesh! Would like one of each, and thought I had decided on the GOD model but now I see you rockin that HPS model and I really love the idea of being able to see and photograph my plants in real color. Easier to catch problems, and so much nicer when documenting, making a journal, or just showing off some bud shots! Good Stuff Icemud!

Im out,
Sparks

I can see the beginings of some male clusters on the one being sprayed. Things are going to be so interesting in the upcoming days....weeks....months! God I love this stuff! *smiles* Good to see that you're still keepin up and keepin on Icemud. As I've said before, you have a way about your journaling that just makes for a good read. Much props to you. Plants are looking good as usual and those lights....*whistles* what can I say about the lights? Been savings all my extras to hopefully have enough for one of them bad boys. But to decide wich one, sheeeesh! Would like one of each, and thought I had decided on the GOD model but now I see you rockin that HPS model and I really love the idea of being able to see and photograph my plants in real color. Easier to catch problems, and so much nicer when documenting, making a journal, or just showing off some bud shots! Good Stuff Icemud!

Im out,
Sparks

Hey Big Sparks!!! aww man, I'm so stoked that finally... after pushing this back for months that we are finally at the pollen development stage and things are looking good. I'm also really happy to be preserving these Ogiesel genetics as they are truly fantastic and probably one of my favorite indica dom's I have ever grown. I really think that it will make for some amazing crosses too, so pretty excited about the project as a whole!

It's really hard to say which Budmaster I like the best as I like each one for different reasons. The GODs really seem to bring out those trichomes and extra zing on the terps but are extremely intense and need a lot of vertical room. I love the COBs for this reason as they are less intense and spread the light out more evenly so they can be run closer to the plants, and also the ability to see my plants in normal light. I also like the white full spectrum as its near perfect for cannabis anyways. The HPS I can't comment on too much as this still is the first run with it, but I have to say the plants seem really happy, and I can't wait to run an actual full flower with the HPS budmasters to see how well they do. (That will be my next flowering tent, featuring the HPS's). Really they are all good lights so any one I would recommend, but generally with the GODs they are so intense you really want to have at least 24" or more to hang them above canopy.

One of each isn't a bad choice either, because you can mix and match them as you see in the video above, or my other journal (link in the signature). I took 2 of the GOD-4 panels, and 2 of the COB-4 panels and mixed them up so each light features 2 god modules, and 2 cob modules. Now I can control the light for both normal white light viewing, or full power with the gods too. Also this helps even out the spread of the panels with less intensity with the gods spread out, and the cobs bring in that full spectrum and wider angle beam.

I can't wait until this seed project is done, because most likely Tangie will be the next one up to the plate to get CS sprayed and develop pollen. With such strong terps in the Tangies, I really think they may blend well with the others :)

Thanks again for your kind words and compliments on the grow and journal :) It makes it all worth it when others can join in the fun and enjoy the grow with me :)

Hey Icemud

Thanks for the updates. Are you using flowering nutrients to feed them? The CS sprayed ones

Hey Soloscanna!

You are welcome, I'm happy to share my grow with the community :)

I have been giving them grow nutrients up until this next feeding which will be their first set of bloom nutrients which will be an earth juice tea. I feed all the plants in the seed project tent with the same feeding, including the CS sprayed on. (I saw you typed "ones" but only 1 single plant is getting sprayed) :)

Thank you for tuning in and things will really start to get interesting from here on out :)

Alright everyone!!! Today makes day 26 of flowering (from the flip) however the photos I will be posting were taken yesterday (just a FYI).

Well tonight will be the last day of spraying the ogiesel with colloidal silver as now male pollen sacks have formed and now are maturing and should be ready to open within the next 5-7 days. Once you have a good solid stack of pollen sacks showing, you don't have to continue spraying colloidal silver as now the pollen is in full effect.

So what will happen from now on:

Once I notice pollen is starting to drop, which generally you will see sitting on the lower leaves, almost looking like a offwhite or yellow powder, I will take the plant and gently tap the pollen sacks over the top of each plant. Once the pollen starts to spread, this stuff is very fine and will fly anywhere a breeze will take it, so to prevent it going everywhere I turn off all circulation fans. I gently will tap the pollen sacks right above each female flower (on the other plants) making sure to cover each top terminal bud with pollen. Since I am pollenating a whole tent I am not too concerned with it spreading in the tent, but if you have any plants in flowering nearby, do not do this....

If you want to control the pollen, its best to cover each pollen cluster with a baggie and gently tie it off around the branch, or completely remove the male plant, away from any other females you don't want to pollenate and collect the pollen in a bag...once the pollen is collected you then can paint it on the buds with a small paintbrush, and some even mix it slightly with flour to help visually see where the pollen is spread to.

After 1-2 days of pollenating the female plants, the white hairs (pistils) will turn brown, and start to recede back into the bud. This is a good sign and shows the bud has received pollen. After all the buds on each of the female plants are showing they are pollenated, you can carefully remove the male plant from the room and destroy it. I've read that you can take the pollen and freeze it for later use, however I have to read more up on this to know how long it lasts, and proper ways to store it.

Once you remove the male plant, the whole tent, walls, plants, soil, pots everything can be sprayed with water, which will deactivate any pollen that happens to still be flying around the tent. Wiping down the walls and floor will help remove it as well so you don't risk it laying around and possibly pollinating plants on a future grow...

The other steps I mentioned I havent gotten to yet, but once I do I will show the process, as well as film the video version which will be edited after all said and done, and it will show the entire process start to finish...

Ogiesel with pollen sacks (sprayed with colloidal silver for 25 days)
20170122_214332.jpg
20170122_214341.jpg

20170122_214332.jpg

Female Ogiesel (no spray)
20170122_214347.jpg
20170122_214350.jpg
20170122_214354.jpg

Tangie Female
20170122_214401.jpg

Race Fuel OG female
20170122_214409.jpg

Gorilla Glue 4
20170122_214414.jpg

Trainwreck female
20170122_214422.jpg

Full tent view:
20170122_214456.jpg
20170122_214315.jpg
20170122_214321.jpg

Hey all!

Today makes day 28 of flowering from the flip (well actually photos and update are from wednesday) which actually was day 28. Technically today is day 30 of flowering but all photos are from wednesday.

Well should be any day now that the reversed ogiesel starts to release pollen :) very excited that this is the 2nd time that the colloidal silver worked, and we are well on our way to having feminized ogiesel seeds, along with about 9 different hybrid crosses :) very exciting.

I moved a few plants around to put the taller plants together and the shorter plants together so that I could lower the lights on 1 side to give more intensity. Not that it really matters as they are getting plenty of light as they already are, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I also did a bit of plant maintenance and removed any dead leaves that I saw on the plants.

Its especially critical during the cooler months to remove any dead material from your grow area, as this is generally the perfect time during the cooler temps that botrytis can form, and I've never had an issue with it before, but just want to make sure to keep everything tidy, as the best method of disease control is prevention.

Other than that I am very pleased to see some of the plants already getting very frosty, and the trainwreck is absolutely coated in trichomes already, and has the classic trainwreck smell, almost like a minty toothpaste. :) nice!

I do have some unfortunate news though, as when I went into my tent on wednesday, I noticed that 1 of the Budmaster HPS modules had gone out... Most likely a driver failed, which is the most common problem with LED failures, and when I did my unboxing video, I noticed that the drivers were running hotter than previous budmaster models, so this could possibly be the cause as heat is the killer of almost all electronics.

I emailed Paul at Budmaster on wednesday evening, but haven't had a response back yet, so hopefully over the weekend he will get back to me and get a new driver out to me. On a good note, I'm happy that Budmaster makes their LED's in a modular fashion, as even if 1 module fails, 5 out of 6 of the modules remain on, so I am not hindering my grow in any way, other than a slightly less intense light for the time being. With other "non modular" leds, the whole light would have to be removed, sent back or whatever, so its a very good design trait for LED lighting, and one I highly suggest people note when they purchase an LED>..go modular :) well I will update everyone once I hear back from Budmaster but I have no doubt that they will respond quickly and get a new driver out to me.

Well time for some photos:

Ogiesel showing male pollen sacks and ready to burst (sprayed with colloidal silver)
20170125_235503.jpg

Ogiesel Female
20170125_235513.jpg

Trainwreck
20170125_210525.jpg
20170125_210556.jpg

Other budshots:
20170125_235612.jpg
20170125_235616.jpg
20170125_235625.jpg

20170125_210550.jpg

Full tent views
20170125_235455.jpg
20170125_235532.jpg
20170125_235546.jpg
20170125_235552.jpg
20170125_235603.jpg

Hey everyone!

Day 32 flowering, from the flip..

Well I'm pretty much waiting to see pollen pop any day now as the sacks are getting fatter and fatter and the cluster is growing in size. I'm excited to get this going and really hope it doesn't take too long for the pollen to show...I think right about now last time was when they popped so hopefully soon :)

Not much to report on today besides some of the girls got some water with sul po mag and microbes and enzymes, some were still fairly moist and didnt' get any water yet.

Some sort of good news as today I looked into my tent and the module on the budmaster that wasn't working, is now working... I didn't get to opening it up this weekend so hopefully over the week I will get a chance to, maybe its a loose wire? maybe the driver? not sure... anyhow happy to see it working now.

Well here are todays photos :)

20170129_221951.jpg
20170129_221954.jpg
20170129_222006.jpg
20170129_222013.jpg
20170129_222027.jpg
20170129_222034.jpg
20170129_222046.jpg
20170129_222053.jpg
20170129_222102.jpg
20170129_222117.jpg
20170129_222122.jpg

Hey Mudz
have to take a look after weeks not being here. alot going on in Nuggetland recently. New lights new plants <3
i have a question i hope you can answer for me and others.

so i plan to do a colloidal silver seed grow in the near future when the indoor plants are harvested, but they are just 4 days after the flip so this is not really near future :D i have 4x Nebula and 3x Atomical Haze. All clones that will need some more weeks to root. i am still not shure if i want pure nebula seeds and pure atomical seeds or if i want to take the pollen from strain 1 and put it on strain 2 to create a really nice mainly sativa cross. then i can repeat this step and hopefully get a stable and useful strain for my needs.

now this is where the ?! starts.
i am not shure what the differences could be when i compare
- Atomical Mom gets "pregnant" from Nebula
and
- Nebula Mom get "pollensacked" from Atomical Haze.

maybe you know more or can tell me where i can find that info. thanks alot

Hey Everyone!

Well I have some not so good news...... I believe my Ogiesel is sterile...yes sterile!!! bummed!

I'm not giving up hope yet, but for being in late in flowering as it is, and already seeing some of the pollen sacks open, with no pollen in them, I don't think this will be a fairytail ending for this grow with seeds galore...

So I looked into this, and while this is rare, it is known to happen and is called Cytoplasmic Male Sterility, and while most of the information is quite above my head its a condition which seems that can either be inherited from parental lines, or possible from a chemical or environmental influence resulting in genetic changes. It can either cause no pollen to form at all, or if pollen does form, it will not pollenate the female.

Its actually used in hybrid breeding commonly for food crops.

So I'm going to give it just a few more days to see if maybe it was just the first of the pollen sacks to not produce pollen and hopefully some of the younger ones will.

IF it ends up that no pollen forms, then before its too late I may use some of my black cherry soda pollen to pollenate the plants, at least the ones that I don't have yet crossed with Black Cherry Soda.. which would still be fun. Unfortunately I may not be able to breed my Ogiesel which I love so much into itself, but oh well, at least it should make some killer crosses.

So I will keep everyone updated... but also to let you know... this is very rare to have happen and if you follow the process of colloidal silver as I did, and get to the pollen sack phase, most likely you will not have this problem as its rare and basically a genetic disruption. So the process of creating seeds does work that I used, but i just got unlucky in trying to make pollen with a sterile plant...which there is no way of knowing this unless you do this process.

Back
Top Bottom