Icemud's How To Make Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

Hey TheFertilize!

Yea I still am using Earthjuice and still pretty happy with it. I was sold on earthjuice for 2 reasons, 1 was the amazing side by side study here on 420 magazine... A top nutrient study: Which is the best? Produces most?

and the other was a buddy from Norcal that does both indoor and outdoor. He had some of the most amazing blue dream I had ever tasted so I started asking him what he was using and sure enough it was earthjuice...

So ever since my 1st grow here at 420 mag Ive been sold on earthjuice and so far its produced amazing results. I do use the original 5 part line, and make teas which are bubbled for 48 hours which usually brings the PH right to the perfect range, so adjustments aren't necessary.

I do use other products as well, but earthjuice always has made my plants happy.

Pretty much for the full grow I use:

40-80ml of grow (per 5 gallons)
40-80ml of bloom (per 5 gallons)
40ml of microblast
40ml of catalyst
40ml of meta K

generally in bloom I do 80ml of bloom, 40ml of grow, and reverse it for veg. I also sometimes will use microbe products, enzymes, hydrolyzed fish, humic acid and some other additives, but EJ still remains my go to.

Tangie is an amazing strain, very very potent terpene smell and flavor which is why its favored by a lot of extract companies and has won numerous awards because of the flavor. Basically it ranges from a more pungent orange rind smell to a more buttery sweet citrus orange smell and is a hardy plant. I definitely will be using it in the near future for breeding :)

Hmm, I'll have to work out the math on that later... 80/5... That sounds like about 4 or 5 teaspoons, yeah? I mix my nutrients into gallon jugs, never really work with large plants or very many of them so it works well so far. I got the traditional big 5 plus OilyCann and Bloom Master. I'm not sure that OilyCann or Bloom Master are totally organic like the rest of their line?

I never noticed my pH go up after bubbling for 48 hours though, it was strange. I ended up just adding their "natural up" stuff too. I was doing...

2 Tablespoons Grow
1 Teaspoon Bloom
1-2 Teaspoons molasses
1 Teaspoon Catalyst
1 Teaspoon Meta-K
1 Teaspoon Micro-Blast
1/4 Teaspoon OilyCann (with humic, whatever that means)

I basically found this recipe on their website, and there was a similar one on another forum somewhere someone was using for cannabis so I went for it.

Sadly, I hate to admit it, I had a Tangie clone recently. I tried to clone it straight into a solo cup of soil though, and it didn't work out. Lost a UW as well :(

I've got some pretty good strains I'm going to be working with though. Platinum Girl Scout Cookies x Cherry OG, Blackberry Kush, Panama x Malawi, Bangi Haze, and F1 Golden Tiger. Also got a single feminized Romulan a buddy gave me.

I basically switched from using General Hydro Flora Nova because I found it was way too salty, and I would have to flush out the soil in my pots every few weeks. Well, what would actually happen is I'd forget I needed to flush and wonder why my plants looked like crap. So I was hoping EarthJuice would be a little more friendly to the soil too, because I'm trying to use Mykos and Azos probiotics.

Hmm, I'll have to work out the math on that later... 80/5... That sounds like about 4 or 5 teaspoons, yeah? I mix my nutrients into gallon jugs, never really work with large plants or very many of them so it works well so far. I got the traditional big 5 plus OilyCann and Bloom Master. I'm not sure that OilyCann or Bloom Master are totally organic like the rest of their line?

I never noticed my pH go up after bubbling for 48 hours though, it was strange. I ended up just adding their "natural up" stuff too. I was doing...

2 Tablespoons Grow
1 Teaspoon Bloom
1-2 Teaspoons molasses
1 Teaspoon Catalyst
1 Teaspoon Meta-K
1 Teaspoon Micro-Blast
1/4 Teaspoon OilyCann (with humic, whatever that means)

I basically found this recipe on their website, and there was a similar one on another forum somewhere someone was using for cannabis so I went for it.

Sadly, I hate to admit it, I had a Tangie clone recently. I tried to clone it straight into a solo cup of soil though, and it didn't work out. Lost a UW as well :(

I've got some pretty good strains I'm going to be working with though. Platinum Girl Scout Cookies x Cherry OG, Blackberry Kush, Panama x Malawi, Bangi Haze, and F1 Golden Tiger. Also got a single feminized Romulan a buddy gave me.

I basically switched from using General Hydro Flora Nova because I found it was way too salty, and I would have to flush out the soil in my pots every few weeks. Well, what would actually happen is I'd forget I needed to flush and wonder why my plants looked like crap. So I was hoping EarthJuice would be a little more friendly to the soil too, because I'm trying to use Mykos and Azos probiotics.

Your EJ mix sounds about the same as mine, I go a little heavier on the grow but otherwise the ratios are about the same. I've learned that even though earth juice is organic, its a good idea to give the soil a plain water or compost tea every other feeding to help the soil EC from getting too high which also adds the beneficials into the mix.

Basically I use for all their products about 8-10ml per gallon with the exception of grow and bloom which I double based on if I'm in grow or bloom.

Yea I've used some general hydroponic products in the past, actually it was general organic but after they were bought out by scotts who is also the marketing company for roundup and monsanto I decided to not buy their products anymore, which is a shame cause I liked some of them... but I just couldn't support big ag getting into our industry, especially one with the history it has. Unfortunately they also have recently bought botanicare, and gavita, and many other product lines from our industry so I try not to support any of them. Sad but true.

You have some nice strains going... I definitely dig that you have some landraces going. I would love to get some malawi and some good south american and central american landraces... in time I will but have too much right now in my garden to keep track of...LOL (great problem to have BTW) :)

If you try bubbling the EJ in a 5 gallon bucket with a good strong pump and airstone, you should see the ph come up... it may take a little longer than 48 hours depending on how much of each you put in but generally right around the 2 day mark mine creeps up from under 4 ph to around 6 to 6.5.

I also will add yucca extract to it.

Cool, I might up the grow amount then too, kind of not sure if my problem-plant is undergoing nitrogen def or sulfur def right now.

I have been bubbling mine in gallon jugs with an aquarium pump rated for 5-15 gallons, but it doesn't really seem to be a very strong aeration compared to an old pump I use to use on a bubbler cloner.

IMG_20170331_222300.jpg
IMG_20170329_154612.jpg

Hi Icemud, good info here. Do you mind answering a couple short questions? I haven't been able to read this whole thread yet.

Have you harvested seeds from the CS method before? If so how many have you grown out? Have you had any males at all or 100% female so far from the CS seed method?

Thanks and I'll be following along for this upcoming grow.

Cool, I might up the grow amount then too, kind of not sure if my problem-plant is undergoing nitrogen def or sulfur def right now.

I have been bubbling mine in gallon jugs with an aquarium pump rated for 5-15 gallons, but it doesn't really seem to be a very strong aeration compared to an old pump I use to use on a bubbler cloner.

IMG_20170331_222300.jpg
IMG_20170329_154612.jpg

Hey Fertilizer! sorry for the delayed response.... I subbed to your journal.

Hi Icemud, good info here. Do you mind answering a couple short questions? I haven't been able to read this whole thread yet.

Have you harvested seeds from the CS method before? If so how many have you grown out? Have you had any males at all or 100% female so far from the CS seed method?

Thanks and I'll be following along for this upcoming grow.

Hey RickyBBobby! great screen name by the way! I don't mind at all answereing what I can... sorry for the delay...

Yes, I have harvested seeds from the CS method in the past... I have attemped it 2x so far, one time was successful, the 2nd time the pollen sacks formed, but had no pollen in them.

I personally haven't grown any of my F1's or S1's yet, but I have about 4 people right now running them for me in all kinds of methods from soil to hydro, indoors and outdoors. So far I have yet to have a male or hermi and all seeds popped so far are female. I did have issues with my Fire OG x BCS cross, as the parent Fire OG had some odd leaf issue, and this trait passed over to the offspring F1's. So far 100% of those seeds did have very weird leaves, but as they are getting older they are growing more normal. Now I have not run all of my F1s and have few crosses yet to be germinated, and I have not popped any S1's, and will not be giving those out at all, so I don't know as far as all of the seeds yet, and only have had maybe 2 dozen sprouted, and only 1 has actually finished which is my black and tange cultivar so there may be flaws later down the line, but so far all people testing have shown amazing results.

So so far, its safe to say that 100% of the seeds so far have been female although only about 20 or so have been run.

Hey everyone....

So I will get photos up later, but I want to let everyone know.... seed project 3 is underway...

Today makes day 1 of flowering, as last night the lights were flipped to 12/12, and the GDP was sprayed with colloidal silver. So I was deciding between a few different cultivars to hit with the colloidal silver and it was between GDP, Trainwreck, Tangie, and harlequin, and based on the results of my last flowering grow, and a few other factors, I decided my next plant to get reversed with CS will be my GDP.

I absolutely love the flavor of GDP and think it will make some excellent S1 selfed seeds but also when you look at it in relation to other strains on the phylos galaxy you can see that its definitely distant from a lot of other cultivars of cannabis. So I'm excited to say that GDP will be the next seed run "bruce" as it was dubbed in the feminized seeds thread :)

So not much else right now to report on but I will be spraying the GDP with colloidal silver 40-50ppm each and every day until I see the female flowers turn to male pollen sacks :) so we have about 21 days of this until we start to see changes :)

Very excited though :)

The strains involved will be:

GDP: reversed with CS to become pollen source

Female Cultivars:
GDP
Mendo Grape Kush
Tangie 3
Tangie 5
Racefuel OG
Ogiesel
Harlequin
Black Cherry Soda
Candyland
Trainwreck
Gorilla Glue 4

So all of the above will be hit with the GDP pollen!!!!!

I can't wait to get my pollen chuckin on!

Hey everyone....

So I will get photos up later, but I want to let everyone know.... seed project 3 is underway...

Today makes day 1 of flowering, as last night the lights were flipped to 12/12, and the GDP was sprayed with colloidal silver. So I was deciding between a few different cultivars to hit with the colloidal silver and it was between GDP, Trainwreck, Tangie, and harlequin, and based on the results of my last flowering grow, and a few other factors, I decided my next plant to get reversed with CS will be my GDP.

I absolutely love the flavor of GDP and think it will make some excellent S1 selfed seeds but also when you look at it in relation to other strains on the phylos galaxy you can see that its definitely distant from a lot of other cultivars of cannabis. So I'm excited to say that GDP will be the next seed run "bruce" as it was dubbed in the feminized seeds thread :)

So not much else right now to report on but I will be spraying the GDP with colloidal silver 40-50ppm each and every day until I see the female flowers turn to male pollen sacks :) so we have about 21 days of this until we start to see changes :)

Very excited though :)

The strains involved will be:

GDP: reversed with CS to become pollen source

Female Cultivars:
GDP
Mendo Grape Kush
Tangie 3
Tangie 5
Racefuel OG
Ogiesel
Harlequin
Black Cherry Soda
Candyland
Trainwreck
Gorilla Glue 4

So all of the above will be hit with the GDP pollen!!!!!

I can't wait to get my pollen chuckin on!

Nice, I've always liked Grand Dad Purple any time I've smoked it. My first CS attempt appears to be unsuccessful, so far I guess... I sprayed with what I thought was at least 60 ppm of CS ( now not sure because it turns out my TDS meter wasn't calibrated ) for about 3 weeks, but my Blackberry Kush just kept flowering as if it were normal, except super stunted. I'm still crossing my fingers it will start putting out pollen sacks, but I think I'm going to have to try again :/

What's this "phylos galaxy" you mentioned? I bet GDP x Tangie will make some epic smoke.

Nice, I've always liked Grand Dad Purple any time I've smoked it. My first CS attempt appears to be unsuccessful, so far I guess... I sprayed with what I thought was at least 60 ppm of CS ( now not sure because it turns out my TDS meter wasn't calibrated ) for about 3 weeks, but my Blackberry Kush just kept flowering as if it were normal, except super stunted. I'm still crossing my fingers it will start putting out pollen sacks, but I think I'm going to have to try again :/

What's this "phylos galaxy" you mentioned? I bet GDP x Tangie will make some epic smoke.

look up "phylos galaxy" on the net... its a tool that a company in the pacific northwest made, its free to see all the different cannabis strains that they have genetically scanned. Its called a phylogenetic tree so they made a graphical galaxy showing so far what they have scanned and there are a couple thousand cultivars so far. It allows you to search for different strains so you can see how they would relate when bred.

I used it to choose for future breeding, and GDP was not only a favorite, but also was pretty distant genetically to a lot of other cultivars... so I chose it as well as trainwreck based on their genetic differences to a lot of other strains such as kushes, hazes and all.

Its a pretty fun tool to explore...

Yea I was disappointed my 2nd attempt worked, but failed. I got pollen sacks to form, but they never developed pollen. I am currently on day 3 of spraying CS and right now only using 20ppm until my 240 ppm gets dilluted with distilled water. I'm hoping it works out ok this time as I would rather stay away from using STS (silver thiosulfate) which is slightly more troublesome to handle. Only time will tell :)

I'm still trying to find out what frequency, and amount of spraying is best.... my first run I did the same as the 2nd, spraying the whole plant from the 1st day of flowering on... and they both worked technically as both runs developed pollen sacks.

There is a brand that I have used both times, which can be bought on azon... and its called BioSilver by Silver Mountain Minerals. The first 2 runs I used their 50ppm silver and I just ordered their 240ppm which I plan on dilluting. (it was almost the same price..so why not spend a little more and get 4x as much..lol)

We will see how it does this run but so far the brand worked on my previous 2 runs... even though my 2nd never developed pollen (which I seem to think is more the plants fault).

look up "phylos galaxy" on the net... its a tool that a company in the pacific northwest made, its free to see all the different cannabis cultivars (strains) that they have genetically scanned. Its called a phylogenetic tree so they made a graphical galaxy showing so far what they have scanned and there are a couple thousand cultivars so far. It allows you to search for different strains so you can see how they would relate when bred.

I used it to choose for future breeding, and GDP was not only a favorite, but also was pretty distant genetically to a lot of other cultivars... so I chose it as well as trainwreck based on their genetic differences to a lot of other cultivars such as kushes, hazes and all.

Its a pretty fun tool to explore...

Yea I was disappointed my 2nd attempt worked, but failed. I got pollen sacks to form, but they never developed pollen. I am currently on day 3 of spraying CS and right now only using 20ppm until my 240 ppm gets dilluted with distilled water. I'm hoping it works out ok this time as I would rather stay away from using STS (silver thiosulfate) which is slightly more troublesome to handle. Only time will tell :)

I'm still trying to find out what frequency, and amount of spraying is best.... my first run I did the same as the 2nd, spraying the whole plant from the 1st day of flowering on... and they both worked technically as both runs developed pollen sacks.

There is a brand that I have used both times, which can be bought on azon... and its called BioSilver by Silver Mountain Minerals. The first 2 runs I used their 50ppm silver and I just ordered their 240ppm which I plan on dilluting. (it was almost the same price..so why not spend a little more and get 4x as much..lol)

We will see how it does this run but so far the brand worked on my previous 2 runs... even though my 2nd never developed pollen (which I seem to think is more the plants fault).

Yeah that's the same kind of CS that I got, the Silver Mountain stuff. I really don't know what went wrong, but my plant just decided to keep flowering like normal. Except, well, maybe not "normal", it's pretty stunted, but I don't feel like it's gonna flip. Maybe if I had 't run out of CS... The one differing thing I did that it seems no one else has is that I used normal tap water.

It's interesting it didn't develop pollen. Did the flowers open and everything?

Well, bummer I checked out that phylos thing but it says my brower doesn't support WebGL.

Yeah that's the same kind of CS that I got, the Silver Mountain stuff. I really don't know what went wrong, but my plant just decided to keep flowering like normal. Except, well, maybe not "normal", it's pretty stunted, but I don't feel like it's gonna flip. Maybe if I had 't run out of CS... The one differing thing I did that it seems no one else has is that I used normal tap water.

It's interesting it didn't develop pollen. Did the flowers open and everything?

Well, bummer I checked out that phylos thing but it says my brower doesn't support WebGL.

I think that the tap water may definitely have something to do with it. I definitely am far from a chemist but I do believe that it may bond with something like chlorine in the water and become insoluble but I'm far from the understanding of it all to really know if it would, and if it did would it effect the CS... I would definitely suggest using distilled water next time as I do think that may be why. The first run and 2nd run I did I bought the 50ppm version and used it right out of the bottle, into a small cobalt misting bottle.

Also from what I have read, is that colloidal silver can degrade quickly in light.. again I don't know enough to say whether there is truth to that or not, but I keep mine on the bottom shelf of my fridge.

It could have been that you ran out too... its hard to say as there really isn't much info out on it other than our thread on fem seeds here and a few other forums but the info is pretty much general. I just read all the info I could and pretty much most of it said the same things that worked.. spraying each day from day 1 to pollen sacks... some say spraying 2 or 3 times a day works... I usually spray mine 2x a day for the first week and 1x a day from there on... this time I am trying just 1x per day from day 1 flowering.

Some people have sprayed like just a couple times and had success too that I have read... so we I guess all still need to compare our methods to come up with the best solution. A lot of others say STS(silver thiosulfate) is the way to go as it only takes like 1 or 2 applications and has a high rate of success. I personally live in a small apartment with nowhere to mix that stuff and so I would rather stick to less harsh methods but if you have the space to work safely with STS you may want to look into it as many here use it and swear by it.

Yea... So my Ogiesel... the plant developed flowers as normal, well preflowers as normal and then over the next week instead of pushing out more pistils, the white pistils would turn amber burned looking and the bottoms of the white pistils would start to turn green instead and start to swell. Over time the white pistils went away and instead was little grass like blades forming with swollen bottoms which then swelled to form seed pods, in clusters... (its in this same journal if you look back a few pages which shows photos of the process). I spraye then until the clusters formed nicely and stopped, and the clusters continued to grow, but as they started to open, which usually pollen is released...nothing was coming out. I waited way beyond where they should have produced and they never did... it was unfortunate... as Ogiesel is by far one of my favorite strains I have.

Well everyone!!!! I finally have started my 3rd seed project!!!!!!!

WOOOO HOOOO!!! LOL...

Sorry for the delay everyone.... working with different projects and tent rotations to keep alive all my genetics takes a lot of planning so my apologies for the wait...

So what strain did we choose to reverse with Colloidal silver?

Well after a lot of thought, I decided that my GDP will be next to spray with colloidal silver, and create pollen with. I love the flavor of GDP and rate it up in my probably top 5 flavored strain favorites and even though its not the strongest compared with todays hybrid cookies and kushes and all it still can hang in terms of terps and high in my opinion. I've had about 3-4 other clone suppliers fail on me in terms of correct GDP genetics so finally I am happy to say I do have the real deal after finishing my last harvest :)

Its got a squatty indica dom structure with tight branching and large long bladed leaves and the smell and flavor is amazing. Its almost like a grape soda smell with a deep rose type floral smell to it and a skunkyness as well. Its that Purp smell if you know what I'm talking about :) So anyhow, after finally finding the correct genetics and verifying it myself, I decided I better keep them around and make feminized seeds which took priority over my other choices I was considering.

I also like that when I looked up GDP on the phylos galaxy (look it up, its cool!) it was pretty genetically different from many other common strains like kushes and hazes so I thought it may make for some interesting crosses and variations in what the offspring produce. So the choice seemed right... GDP it is!!

So what day is it? How old are the plants?
The plants are on day 3 of flowering (from the flip to 12/12) and the GDP has received 1x spray of 20ppm colloidal silver every day. (until I dilute my 240ppm by 4x to around 50ppm. I will continue to spray the GDP (Spray only the plant you want to make produce pollen, and DO NOT spray any plants you will be smoking!)

The plants I will be crossing it with range from about 3-4 weeks veg to 3-4 months or so of veg. Even though I would have liked to have things more even in size, I had to get the project moving forward so I decided this was the right time to do it despite the optimal conditions I would have preferred.

What are you feeding the plants?

I am feeding the plants mostly Earth Juice (5 part bloom, veg, micro, catalyst and meta k) making EJ teas and feeding the plants about 1x per week when needed. I am also adding beneficial bacteria with Kangaroots, and Mammoth P, and also using BioZyme enzymes in each tea along with a few drops of yucca extract. I rotate cal mag products depending on veg or bloom feedings, generally using a higher 5-0-0 calcium nitrate magnesium nitrate product in veg, and trading off to a much lower or 0 nitrate cal mag during flowering.

Every so often I also will brew a light feeding/compost tea to break up the heavy feedings and give the soil a good rinse as well as adding a bunch of beneficial bacterias.

What strains/cultivars are you crossing GDP with?

I will be not only making S1 seeds by backcrossing the Reversed GDP with another replica clone from the same mother plant, but I will also be crossing the GDP with:

Black Cherry Soda (very excited about this cross with GDP)
Trainwreck (also a very genetically diverse strain so very excited about this one too)
Harlequin (hopefully can make a higher cbd version of GDP, also the blend of terps would be amazing)
GG#4 (this also is going to be a very interesting cross and hopefully I can get some of those amazing frosty trichomes in a GDP type plant :)
Tangie #5 My Tangie #5 pheno is more of an indica type plant with a very tight structure, long massive colas develop, extremely resonous and has a extremely pungent smell of orange peels and almost a garlic... should make a very interesting cross with GDP)
Tangie #3My Tangie #3 is my most potent fragrant strain I have even in early veg smelling like ripe oranges and orange peels, with a garlicy spice to it. The buds on this develop with very little leaves and more of a crowning bud structure. Very frosty as well.
Racefuel OGThis one has a lot of true OG characteristics with the lanky structure pine cone shaped dense buds, low leaf to calyx ratio on the buds and this has a light kerosene gas smell to it... should also prove to be good :)
Mendo Grape KushThis plant really surprised me as it grow unbelievably well, very branchy and thriving large plant with very large buds on it, but no grape smell. More of a citrus rind orangy smell to it, like the grapefruit parent. It does share some lineage with GDP so hopefully the characteristics of the flavor will come out more in the cross :)
OgieselI can't say enough good things about this strain, no matter what the circumstances this plant always comes through fantastic, dank, extremely fragrant and potent! A cross of another indica dom plant like GDP may be very interesting with this one :) exiting!
CandylandWell Candyland let me say is a pain in the you know what to grow... It shares a common trait with cookies which is one of its parents, and that is it hates being topped a bunch of times... top it more than 2x and it seems to lose direction of which way up is, and starts growing like a vine and very weird.. its also extremely temperamental to soil extremes of any kind and out of probably 30 strains I have grow, other than cookies its the hardest plant to keep happy. I haven't yet flowered this out yet but figured since I was able to save 2 clones before the mother died, lets run it and see what happens while we veg out the other.. Its parents are GSC and GDP so basically I am back crossing it to one of its parents, which hopefully will add more indica structure to the plants stretchy behavior!.

What equipment are you using?

I'm using a combination of 3 and 5 gallon round and square pots... (using what fit to make all these crosses possible) and the soil is a 4 way blend of (4 parts promix to 1 part ocean forest, 1 part coco coir, worm castings). I also blended in some of my 3 year old recycled soil and added blends of organic nutrients. I also am using a time release synthetic pelletized product called osmocote in small amounts to do a synthetic and natural/organic blend.

I'm growing in a 2x4 hydrohut growtent, which actually measures closer to 2.5'x5'x7' and using a 6" fan with scubber and manual speed controller set to medium low.

For lights I am using the Budmaster HPS-6 (2 of them) which each rates around 240w draw.

For making teas and bubbling my earth juice I am using a 2 output air pump, with 2 large round airstones in a 5 gallon bucket.

Ph is checked with the color drops and I don't use a ppm meter.

Colloidal silver will be 240ppm collidal silver (called Biosilver) by a brand called Silver Mountain Minerals and will be diluting it with my 0ppm reverse osmosis and deionized water.

What pest products are you using?
Currently none, but do have many organic and biological products on hand just in case.

For gnats yellow cards and stickys, BTi mosquito dunks, and spinosad
For thrips and spidermites: sns products, spinosad, bon neem, insecticidal soaps, neem oil... etc..
For fungus: copper spray, serenade, SNS Fungicide, Neem..

How to make seeds:

The steps:

First and foremost, you want to veg all of your cannabis plants to the size of choice.
I usually tend to veg mine until they reach about 18"-24", and usually I prefer to top them 1-2x to get more main tops that will generate seeds. This includes the plant you will be using to create male pollen, as well as all the female plants.

Once your plants are at a desired height and you are ready to start flowering set your light timers to 12/12.

On the very first day of flowering,
you are going fill up your small sprayer bottle with colloidal silver 50ppm. Take the plant that you will be converting to make pollen (this is called reversing) and remove the plant away from your other plants. Spray the entire plant, both top sides and bottoms of leaves, stems and all with colloidal silver.

****ONLY spray the plant that you want to "reverse" and take extreme care NOT to spray the plants that will be receiving pollen (the females)

******* especially take care to MAKE SURE NOT TO SPRAY ANY PLANTS YOU PLAN ON SMOKING WITH COLLOIDAL SILVER. (I have not found the exact reason why, however, every source I researched said to make sure you don't smoke any plants sprayed with CS).

Place the plant you sprayed with colloidal silver,
back into your grow area with the other plants you will be pollenating. (Make sure to do this ONLY if you want all the other plants in your grow area to get pollenated. Some people even keep the plant they will be "reversing" in another area, far away from any female plants. Pollen travels and last thing you want to do is get it on plants not intended for getting seeds.

For the entire first week of flowering (12/12) you want to spray your "reversed" plant 2x
, generally I do this 1 time in the mornings and 1x before lights out. Again, make sure to ONLY spray the plant with CS that you plan to reverse, and do this away from your other plants.

For the 2nd week you will continue to spray the plant
you are "reversing" with CS, but you only need to now apply the CS 1x per day. Make sure to coat the entire plant, both sides of leaves, nodes, and all green plant material including stems. ***ONLY spray the plant you are "reversing" and be very very careful not to get any on your other plants, especially if you plan on smoking them. YOU DO NOT WANT to smoke any plants sprayed with CS.

Around the 2nd to 3rd week
you will see all of your other NON sprayed plants start to flower as they normally do. The plant that you have been spraying with CS, may start to develop female flowers, but this is ok, as they will quickly start to convert to male pollen sacks. The pollen sacks look like clusters of oval football shaped pods and you will slowly start to see many many pods form, usually where the flowers would form. AT this point its a good idea to turn off any circulation fans in your grow area as even a slight breeze will knock loose pollen all over. Its much easier to control it before it forms, then to worry about cleanup later.

Once you see no more female flowers
(white pistils) and see large clusters of pollen sacks on the plant you are reversing, you can stop spraying colloidal silver (CS).

It should look like this:

9 Around week 3-4 of flowering
, you will notice the pollen sacs beginning to open up and this is when you will start to see a fine yellow powder starting to fall out of the pollen sacks, this is generally noticeable on the leaves below the pollen sacks as sometimes it will fall on the leaf and collect. This is Active pollen, and will pollinate any female plants in the area so if you have other plants around in flowering, that you DO NOT want to make seeds, be very very careful with the pollen.

**again a word of caution... do not have your "reversed" plant that is producing pollen anywhere near plants that you DO NOT want to create seeds... IT WILL GET ON THEM.

Spreading the pollen:

Now this step there are many ways to spread the pollen to the flowering female plants that you want to produce seeds. Since I do all of the above inside of 1 grow tent, I don't mind if pollen spreads however I still make sure to have all of my circulation fans off, and handle the "reversed" pollen plant very carefully, as even a slight shake or bump will create a cloud of pollen.

Now my personal process is to cut off one of the clusters of pollen sacks from the "reversed plant". Very carefully making sure not to bang it around while cutting it off, I remove it. Then I take this cluster of pollen sacks and slowly move plant to plant (Females flowering) and rub the pollen sacks on each flower of the female plants that I want to seed. Sometimes i will give the pollen sacks a little flick in order to help knock pollen from the sacks, onto the female flowers.

Now many people also at this point will collect the pollen in a sandwhich bag, or some even will wrap the entire "reversed" plant into a black garbage bag to prevent pollen from spreading where they don't want it. Some people will just collect the pollen inside a sandwich bag and use a paintbrush to spread the pollen onto the female flowers. All of these ways will work, as long as somehow the pollen gets onto the female flowers.

Within the next day or 2 after you have spread the pollen
from the "reversed" plant onto the female plants/flowers, you will know if they received the pollen because all the white hairs (pistils) will turn orange/brown. Make sure to look at each flower set on each plant to see if they have orange hairs/pistils, or if they are still all white. If the flower pistils/hairs have not changed orange, and are still white you will want to go back to step 10 and repeat this. At this point you should not be spraying any colloidal silver.

Your Female plant buds should look like this, once they have received pollen, notice the amber hairs early in flowering.

Once you have finished pollenating
all the female plants, and have seen the pistils change from white to orange, you are done with the "reversed" plant and you can carefully discard of it. Again, this pollen will spread very very easily so its best to move very slowly avoiding any bumps, wind or shaking as this will make clouds of pollen very easily, and you may want to wrap the whole plant in a garbage back, tighten the opening around the stem and cut the stalk at the soil level, which should contain any loose pollen. You can decide whether to keep some pollen for future use by collecting it in a small baggie, or you can just get rid of it all together if you don't want to keep it. I haven't tested the methods of storage yet, but a cool dry and dark place from what I read is the best to store pollen.

If you happen to make a mistake with your "reversed" plant
, and get pollen all over, you can use water to deactivate the pollen. I usually will wait a few days after I have pollenated my plants, the pistils have turned orange and then I will spray the entire tent down, including the walls, floor, plants and soil with just plain water to make sure any loose pollen is deactivated.

Now the last part of the process is the waiting period.
After all the female plants are pollenated, the "reversed" plant has been removed, all you have to do now is treat your plants with love, just as you would if you were flowering them normally and make sure they stay healthy. As the buds form, you will start to notice that within the buds, the calyx's (place where the hairs attach to the buds, looks like a teardrop shape) will start to swell. This is your seeds forming.

Notice on these photos, you can see the swollen calyx's with the seeds forming inside.
IMG_20160810_195252.jpg

When to harvest...
If you have so far followed this process to a T, then everything should work as planned, buds will form, thicken up, mature and you will notice seeds forming in the buds, as the calyx's swell. By now you should be nearing the end of flowering, but you want to make sure that you get those nice brown, tiger stripe seeds. Wait until you start to see the swelling calyx's which contain the seeds actually start to split showing the hard seed coat, which at this point usally will be an offwhite color. Within the next week to 2 weeks at this point you will seed the seeds go from a green/offwhite color to a light brown and then they will turn to a darker brown with black lines.. These are the tiger stripes! When you start to see most of your seeds turn this darker brown color, your plant is ready to harvest. You may even want to pull a few of these seeds/calyx's off, to check them to make sure the seeds are done, which will be all dark brown with black stripes (usually) some strains produce seeds that might not be dark brown but more of a tan, and I've even had some seeds not produce stripes, but its uncommon.

Notice on these photos how the calyx's have split and the seeds are showing through the splits, and most are a darker brown. This is when they are about ready.

IMG_20160822_224100.jpg

IMG_20160822_224123.jpg

How to harvest and gather seeds:

You treat your seeded plants/buds the same as you would harvesting a normal crop. Cut each plant from the soil, hang it for your preferred dry time.. Usually I go for 7-10 days until the buds are fully dry. I generally don't plan on smoking any of the plant material afterwords so personally I don't cure it or anything as I pretty much grind up everything with my fingers to remove the seeds.

How I personally remove the seeds:

Once your plants are dry, buds are dry I usually will take a flat surface with a lip on it, like a mirror or a picture frame and I will lay it flat, but on a slight 10-15 degree tilt. I use this as my work surface. I remove all the dead fan leaves, and most of the leaves I can just pull off, and put this in my compost pile. Then once I have just buds left, I remove 1 bud at a time, roll it between my fingers pulverizing the bud. The seeds at this point will drop out, and most of them will roll down the angled flat surface/mirror and get caught in the "lip" of the surface you are using, where the grinded/pulverized plant material will just fall down directly below my fingers. After a full bud is ground up and in a pile of grinded green, I sift through it with my fingers removing any other seeds that I find that are nice and mature. These get bagged up, labeled and stored for future use. All the immatture seeds, and ground up buds get placed in separate ziplocks and put in my freezer until I am ready to use them for edibles.

Seed storage:
Now this is something that I have only researched but not tried yet, so take this part with a grain of salt and you may want to do your own research on this part (storing seeds). The rest of the instructions if followed should work perfectly as they worked for me with 100% success.

If you plan on using your newly created seeds right away or in a short amount of time, then you don't need to really store your seeds in any specific way, but its best to keep them cool, dry and out of direct light. If you do plan on storing your seeds for long term, then I have read the best way to do this is to store them with less than 10% oxygen. So for this, if you have a food sealer, or canning jars with vaccum pump then you want to suck out all the air out of the food sealer bag/jar which will remove most of the oxygen. This helps the seeds stay fresh and active because water and oxygen are what allow the seeds to want to sprout, so if you remove both water and oxygen, then they will stay fresh for long storage. You also will want to keep them cool, and in a dark place, like a refrigerator, basement or cool closet.

Well that is the process, and if done right.. you will end up with this::: (seeds from my last project)
IMG_20160901_204640.jpg

So today or rather last night made day 3 of flowering...

I was moving the plants around to do some general maintenance on them and clean up some dead leave and noticed somethings strange.... I had mushrooms growing out of the bottom of some of my pots! So I looked them up and they are called Leucocoprinus birnbaumii and they are common to grow in indoor houseplants and greenhouses that have warm and moist environments and lots of organic soil. Well its good to know my soil seems healthy :) I removed the mushrooms because I don't know enough about them but I do know spores can be an issue and spread easily and I would rather get the problem out of their before it becomes a problem :) I couldn't find much about their toxicity but it seems to say they definitely can cause gastrointenstinal issues and some sources said even mortality is possible so if you have these growing and have kids or pets... might want to get rid of them too.
20170512_180801_HDR.jpg
20170512_180811.jpg
20170512_180825.jpg
20170512_181212_HDR.jpg
20170512_181223.jpg

I have been removing the GDP (front right small plant) every day and spraying it with a 20ppm colloidal silver as that is what I have on hand right now until my 240ppm arrived yesterday, and today I will be diluting it 4x to around 50ppm. The brand is the same as the 50ppm I used on my 1st 2 seed projects and so I figured I would stick with what worked, but since the 240ppm was only a few buck more and could make 4x as much, I bought the stronger concentration.

Other than that the girls received their last veg based feeding about 2 days before the lights flipped to flowering and now I will be slightly shifting gears over to a bloom based feeding. Not a whole lot is different between the 2 with earthjuice other than swapping the amounts of grow and bloom around... and really they could be used equally full cycle.

I will be getting a nice compost tea ready for them over the next few days to ease them over into flowering and boost up the soil activity :)

Other than that... here are some pics..

20170512_182432.jpg
20170512_182440_HDR.jpg
20170512_182447_HDR.jpg
20170512_182456.jpg
20170512_184339.jpg
20170512_184345.jpg

Heh I've seen those mushrooms grow on the top of pots but not out of the bottoms.

I have read time and time again not to smoke a plat sprayed with CS too, but like you I never saw the reasoning. I think this is just something people are repeating for no real rationale. If you look up the material safety data sheet for silver, it indicates that it's pretty darn non-toxic. I thought maybe it had something to do with the fumes, but it just said they could cause respiratory irritation. People do use this stuff as a dietary supplement. According to electro gypsy though, the stuff tastes so bad you wouldn't wanna smoke or eat it.

I think it would be great to have pictures of the pollen sacs forming gradually.

I've always thought GDP could be some pretty potent stuff, always liked the way the buds formed. But I actually didn't ever care for the taste.

Heh I've seen those mushrooms grow on the top of pots but not out of the bottoms.

I have read time and time again not to smoke a plat sprayed with CS too, but like you I never saw the reasoning. I think this is just something people are repeating for no real rationale. If you look up the material safety data sheet for silver, it indicates that it's pretty darn non-toxic. I thought maybe it had something to do with the fumes, but it just said they could cause respiratory irritation. People do use this stuff as a dietary supplement. According to electro gypsy though, the stuff tastes so bad you wouldn't wanna smoke or eat it.

I think it would be great to have pictures of the pollen sacs forming gradually.

I've always thought GDP could be some pretty potent stuff, always liked the way the buds formed. But I actually didn't ever care for the taste.

Yea I searched around many websites and everyone says don't smoke it but nobody gave a reason... so I figured might as well follow suit...LOL I did find a little mention of silver dust is bad to inhale but again it never really said why. I figure its best to just take their word for it and remove the plant each day to spray with CS and then put it back :)

Some people drink CS for health, I don't just because I've seen mixed "psudo science" on it but nothing really solid. Ionic silver does seem to be very great at killing anything living and protein based at a nano scale so maybe it does have some use too :) LOL

I actually wanted to do a video showing each day of the pollen sacks forming, more like a slideshow timelapse and so my last grow I took photos each day and then it didn't have any pollen, but maybe since its still early I could do that with this grow and then put it all together like a movie at the end :) I appreciate the suggest/reminder :)

Heya Ice...Heard nothing but good things about that black cherry soda. I'm down to watch this one play out.

Man the BCS is such a steller plant.. .the flavor is just a skunky grape and fruit punch... absolutely the best of taste combos in my opinion and the nugs develop nice and dense too :) It bred really well with my tangie (black and tange) and also bred extremely well with the Ogiesel (cherry float). Our buddy Curso is running the Cherry float now and wow is it looking great! I think the grape flavor with indica structure of the GDP should make for a great mix with the BCS :)

Back
Top Bottom