Icemud's LED Overkill - 3x Advanced LED XTE 300s - Blue Dream - University Hills OG

Re: Icemud's LED Overkill - 3x Advanced LED XTE 300s - Blue Dream - University Hills

im using 2-150's and 2-100's in a 4x4 space

Re: Icemud's LED Overkill - 3x Advanced LED XTE 300s - Blue Dream - University Hills

Excellent updates! Loving the growth I'm seeing from these LEDs. Keep up the awesome work. Eagerly awaiting the finished product. Seeing your grow and the positive attitude of everyone commenting, has inspired me to do a grow journal of my next grow, which will be TGA Vortex, my favorite strain so far.

I haven't done a grow journal since around 2010. I currently have 3 Jilly Beans in flower and 3 Sativas of different strains in veg. If anyone is interested, I can start a short journal or post pics of their progress. Just one ?, how do you/ can you post pics from a smartphone on here??

Very nice setup!! I am happy that you started a grow journal...Make sure to put the link in your signature so others can follow. And feel free to drop by and share the link to your journal. Would love to see another Advanced XTE grow :) These lights do amazing things... those are the 400's your using right?

Very nice plants and garden, what strain?

In the veg tent I have 2 x 200 extreme veg and 2 x 400 XTE running only blue and whites right now. Honestly I need 2 more of the extreme veg lights. It would save me from always have to rotate them around to keep the growth even.

The strain is a Barney's Farms three letter word that starts with an L and ends with a D. hehe I also have a few Critical Kush mixed in there as well.

I'll get my journal up and going soonish. They are pretty much ready for the screen now but I'm being lazy.

First Grow Journal featuring Defoliation and SCROG!

AK Greenlovers Garden Featuring 2 x 400 XTE 5w LED Lights Top Genetics!

Here is a picture of my XML flower closet a day before harvest bro. I thought you might like it as you were wondering about how well the XML's do during flowering. I have 7 more pictures in my current grow if you want to check them all out. Personally I still like the XTE's though and that's saying A LOT considering how much win the XML's already are.

20150222_170003.jpg

Looks Great but when hasn't it :thumb:

Thanks Cronic!!!! :) happy Terpsday!

But it us cheaper to grow with LED. Significantly lower costs for A/C, ventilation, electricity, water, fertilizers, replacement bulbs, etc. when you calculate your actual annual costs instead of just the up front cost of the lights.

But, of course, I do understand that the initial sticker shock can be unnerving.

I agree... LED is a kind of "shocking" upfront cost, but when weighing in all the factors like you said, LED definitely is the way to Grow and save :)

Hey Ice! Stellar looking grow. Just wanted to say thanks for all the info that you share, and also I'm glad to get some validation on my choice of lights. I bought an XTE200 for my 3X3-ish space, and it's blowing away my 600 or so watts of CFL that I was using, plus got rid of my heat issues. I actually put some of the CFLs back in to help generate heat - it was that or a heater (might as well get the few extra photons)...anyway I plan to add one more XTE200 to the space for 4 plants (in my first Doc Bud run!) - I was debating on trying for a 300, and maybe using the 200 for veg, but I like your arguments for multiple smaller units, so I think I will get another 200 and use both for flowering. Do you think 400 watts would be sufficient in that space for 4 plants in 7 gallon containers? Do you think that 4 in 7s is too much for a space that size?

Hey Budfumo!

Thanks for the compliments and you are welcome for all the info... I tend to nerd out on lights and so I enjoy it quite a bit :) trying and testing new lights, reading and researching plant lighting relationships :)

Good that you are loving the XTE's! I definitely am very very happy with them :)

I would probably recommend for your next light getting another 2oo for the flower tent and I would recommend either the XTE's or the EXVEG for a veg area...the all blue EX veg is an amazing veg light.. I was very skeptical at first, but its growing my plants amazingly fast with very little wattage.

In all honesty for a 4x4 you probably could get away with 2x xte 200s, but adding a 3rd one wouldn't hurt either :) They are very bright but as most leds, they don't spread well unless they are hung 2+ feet above the canopy so if you have the clearance then 2 should be fine, if they are closer to the plants, you may need 3 to give better coverage :) But for 4 plants most likely 2x of the 200s should be sufficient I would imagine :)

Excellent updates! Loving the growth I'm seeing from these LEDs. Keep up the awesome work. Eagerly awaiting the finished product. Seeing your grow and the positive attitude of everyone commenting, has inspired me to do a grow journal of my next grow, which will be TGA Vortex, my favorite strain so far.

I haven't done a grow journal since around 2010. I currently have 3 Jilly Beans in flower and 3 Sativas of different strains in veg. If anyone is interested, I can start a short journal or post pics of their progress. Just one ?, how do you/ can you post pics from a smartphone on here??

Hey Nighthowl!

I too am awaiting the final product :) These LED's rock!

Definitely should start a grow journal... I've met some amazing people here at 420 magazine and had the help of tons of people to really help craft my skills :) best thing I could have done was started journals years ago :)

I haven't run vortex yet...almost had some clones a year ago but decided to go with something different, but I've heard really good things about TGA seeds :)

I definitely recommend you start a journal :)

Not sure how to post pics from a smartphone directly... I usually plug mine into my computer and copy the photo files to my computer, and then upload them.

In the veg tent I have 2 x 200 extreme veg and 2 x 400 XTE running only blue and whites right now. Honestly I need 2 more of the extreme veg lights. It would save me from always have to rotate them around to keep the growth even.

The strain is a Barney's Farms three letter word that starts with an L and ends with a D. hehe I also have a few Critical Kush mixed in there as well.

I'll get my journal up and going soonish. They are pretty much ready for the screen now but I'm being lazy.

First Grow Journal featuring Defoliation and SCROG!

AK Greenlovers Garden Featuring 2 x 400 XTE 5w LED Lights Top Genetics!

Thanks for your input :) I always like when people chime in with their personal LED experiences on coverage area :) makes us know more about the ideal setups for everyone :) Thanks :)

I love that particular strain "lucy" as we know it here :) I haven't had it in a few years but I remember it being very interesting, almost trippy kind of high and full of energy :)

Here is a picture of my XML flower closet a day before harvest bro. I thought you might like it as you were wondering about how well the XML's do during flowering. I have 7 more pictures in my current grow if you want to check them all out. Personally I still like the XTE's though and that's saying A LOT considering how much win the XML's already are.

20150222_170003.jpg

Very nice setup!!! looks like you are in for a heck of a show :) I have to honestly say so far the XTE's are the best LED's so far I have used and my plants really seem to love them as well :)

Hey everyone!!!

Day 19 Flowering update!!!!!!

So this week I have let the girls just do their thing and I already am starting to see trichome formation on some of the plants and the buds are really into full swing growth right now.

I mixed up some plain r/o water and gave them just regular water for 2 days this week and then today mixed up some plain water with a little bit of dogget and simpson bloom 1/4 dose to just help ramp up the flowering process. I will slowly dillute this over this week by adding more water every grow and will be doing a compost tea next to really get the microbes active in forces :)

So far everything is looking good in the flowering tent, even the supercropped branches are really starting to react as all the buds now are pointing towards the lights.

The veg tent is also looking good as usual, and I have a new addition to the veg tent. My UVH OG rooted and so tonight I put her in some premixed soil with some biovam on the roots and put a cut 2 liter bottle over her so she doesn't dry out until the roots establish. I gave the veg tent just plain r/o water and thats all for this feeding.

Well here are the photos :)
IMG_20150226_201755.jpg
IMG_20150226_201808.jpg
IMG_20150226_201821.jpg
IMG_20150226_201901.jpg
IMG_20150226_201907.jpg
IMG_20150226_201913.jpg
IMG_20150226_201937.jpg
IMG_20150226_201944.jpg
IMG_20150226_201959.jpg
IMG_20150226_202006.jpg
IMG_20150226_202014.jpg
IMG_20150226_202022.jpg
IMG_20150226_202030.jpg
IMG_20150226_202037.jpg
IMG_20150226_202044.jpg
IMG_20150226_202055.jpg

So I'm a couple weeks from flipping over to flowering, but am having an unforseen problem. The XTE300 and DS200 I hsve running in a 4x2x5 tent simply do not produce enough heat to cause rapid dehydration of the soil. With constant temp around 75' and humidity at 45%—50%, a one cubic foot pot takes over a week to require watering.

While this is very pleasing to know I don't have to fight heat and humidity, it leaves me unable to give nutrients twice a week according to the Fox Farm schedule I'm using (just the 3 part kit plus my own organic ammendments).

Plants look fantastic with no visible deficiencies. I know I was told to expect to use less nutrients, and as long as my plants thrive, I'm happy, but is there anything I should be doing to compensate for using less nutrients than a basic conservative schedule calls for? I'm all. For minimizing waste, and suspect that this is a good thing?

So I'm a couple weeks from flipping over to flowering, but am having an unforseen problem. The XTE300 and DS200 I hsve running in a 4x2x5 tent simply do not produce enough heat to cause rapid dehydration of the soil. With constant temp around 75' and humidity at 45%—50%, a one cubic foot pot takes over a week to require watering.

While this is very pleasing to know I don't have to fight heat and humidity, it leaves me unable to give nutrients twice a week according to the Fox Farm schedule I'm using (just the 3 part kit plus my own organic ammendments).

Plants look fantastic with no visible deficiencies. I know I was told to expect to use less nutrients, and as long as my plants thrive, I'm happy, but is there anything I should be doing to compensate for using less nutrients than a basic conservative schedule calls for? I'm all. For minimizing waste, and suspect that this is a good thing?

to combat this, I run a fan on the bottom of the tent, well 2 actually, this gets air moving under the canopy as well as helps to dry up the soil and lower humidity...

I have a tower fan in one corner and another that exhausts from the top if the space above the lights exceeds 80'F. But I've kept the tower on pretty low, so I'll increase speed and see if that helps. Thank you, kOncept

Chippy in my grow with 7 gallon pots I have a specific way I layer my pots. It helps them dry out faster due to the lower heat environment. I think you will like how I do it and I promise you will get ridiculous root growth as well! I also use fox farms as a nute line. I water twice a week with one being a feed.

Here is how I do it quoted from my current grow.

Growing Medium
I use a 50 / 50 mix of Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Humboldt. I put 6 gallons of each in a big tub. I then add two cups of flour lime, two cups of ground kelp, and 1 gallon of Growstone GS-2 mix. (soil aerator) I mix that all up really good. I don't really go above and beyond that. I keep it pretty simple.

Grow Containers
This is where I go above and beyond to ensure maximum root growth. I like to use the 7 gallon black Smart Pots. Before I pour any of my dirt into the pot I put a layer of the big chunky Growstone Hydroponic mix all across the bottom. I then put a 1 gallon scoop of dirt on top of the layer of coarse Growstone layer. On top of that dirt I pour 2 cups of the thinner GS-2 mix and spread it out evenly. I do another layer of soil mix, then GS-2 mix and soil until I reach the top of the pot. I then pick up the pot and drop it a few times just to slightly pack the mixture. I will now add the seedling or clone to the pot, and put a nice layer of the thicker Growstone Hydroponic mix to the top.

This is a method that I use to attain explosive root growth. Air and water flow freely in and through the mixture and the pot itself. The big chunky layer of Hydro mix on the bottom and top are essential. The bottom layer promotes the ultimate root aeration and the top keeps your top few inches of soil from drying unevenly. Both the GS-2 and the Hydro mix are a blown glass product that kind of looks like lava stone but is really light. I VERY MUCH love how it retains both WATER and AIR which is extremely important to your roots. The pots themselves just amplify this effect. Figure on 5 gallons of actual soil mix with 2 gallons of space being layers of GS-2 and the chunky Hydro mix.

Looks Great Brotha :thumb:
been kinda busy this week but I finally have time to go through some subs :high-five:

If anyone wants to know if Advanced LED XTE panels work......

Here's my answer...

IMG_20150301_181419.jpg
IMG_20150301_181428.jpg
IMG_20150301_181517.jpg
IMG_20150301_181620.jpg
IMG_20150301_181713.jpg

(GSC from last grow)

:)

So today would make day 22 of flowering...not much to report on today besides the girls are looking great.

I did some defoliating, cleaning up of lower branches and removing any dead leaves. I didn't go overboard but managed to remove any small branches that will never really develop anything worthy, as well as any large fan leaves that were blocking the light from lower budsites.

Here are today's photos :)

IMG_20150301_182058.jpg
IMG_20150301_182103.jpg
IMG_20150301_182115.jpg
IMG_20150301_182125.jpg
IMG_20150301_182156.jpg
IMG_20150301_182206.jpg
IMG_20150301_182218.jpg
IMG_20150301_182225.jpg
IMG_20150301_182239.jpg
IMG_20150301_182251.jpg
IMG_20150301_182259.jpg