Is This Your Homework Larry? Seedsman Skunk #1 In Soil

Well today was a blessed day. Not only did I get the best surprise from Newty, I got one from @SeedsMan too, thought they were seeds but instead I got a nice assortment of swag. Cloth bags, grinder, stickers, sunglasses pouch, rolling papers, joint filters, and a few small smell proof ziploc test baggies.

View media item 1647364
Of course this great decal went up next to my 420 Mag decal, as part of the photo backdrop in the tent.
View media item 1647365
So, with the joint filters, as I know Newty prefers those...I rolled up some of her Moby Dick and used a Seedsman filter. What an amazing floral sweet smell from that bud, totally taking me back to the 90s. That was some good weed back then and so is this.
:goodjob:
View media item 1647366
Edit:
I got around to giving my soil a drench with H2O2. The. Sprayed the surface with safers. Fungus gnat larvae should be dead. Most adults should be dead. Sticky traps up. Will spray a few more times to try and get more adults. We will have this under control before flip.

I added 100ml the H2O2 to 4000ml of water and tested the ph. It was at 7.4. I lowered it to 6.8. The high end of acceptable for soil as I understand it.

I also raised my net to its highest setting. Some of the tops need to grow back into it but now I have easy access to the understory.

Found some clear thoughts between bong rips to calibrate my ph pen and run some tests.

I ran multiple tests of my storage water, tap water, and some bottled water. Surprisingly they were all pretty high and pretty consistent with each other (the master test kit for aquariums and the calibrated ph pen) , so by these readings and making some assumptions we can postulate I have been feeding my plants, babies, and seedlings a ph water of around 7.5 to 8.

View media item 1646960
View media item 1646959
That would definitely explain a lot of your issues. Not sure your living situation Urb, but it doesn't take much to collect a little rain water. I can't tell you how much of a difference switching to the rain water has made for us!

That would definitely explain a lot of your issues. Not sure your living situation Urb, but it doesn't take much to collect a little rain water. I can't tell you how much of a difference switching to the rain water has made for us!
Yeah it is pretty easy for me to collect spring water and other natural sources. We will start taking the ph issue more seriously.

Yeah pretty much. Maybe the odd aerated compost tea. But there are no holes or ways for water to escape out the bottom. It’s a big black storage bin.

Ok so i read this and went “hmm”, so I’m sharing my experience.. in college I had a 600w hps in a closet and had like 15 clones in a tote with holes in the bottom and put it inside another tote... all went really well for the first month or two, but then started having issues, turned out I should have pulled totes apart and emptied because they weren’t drinking all the water and was causing root rot..... so you may want to consider a hole or two in the bottom and put it inside a tray of some sorts.just my .02 my friend! :passitleft:

Ok so i read this and went “hmm”, so I’m sharing my experience.. in college I had a 600w hps in a closet and had like 15 clones in a tote with holes in the bottom and put it inside another tote... all went really well for the first month or two, but then started having issues, turned out I should have pulled totes apart and emptied because they weren’t drinking all the water and was causing root rot..... so you may want to consider a hole or two in the bottom and put it inside a tray of some sorts.just my .02 my friend! :passitleft:
It’s certainly a consideration. Not 100% I want to continue using the bins. A smart pot set up like Bobrown14 may be better. My fabric geopots are also an option to go back to.

Although overall I like the bins. Lots of soil and lots of life going

I watered with the H2O2 mix again, ph balanced to 6.4, as I wanted to make sure we got all the soil treated. I also wanted the roots to get some of the water.

I used a small hand watering can and did it slowly. Yesterday it was about 4 litres, or a gallon, and I did the same today. That was spread out over the two bins.

Should be good now, there were less gnats on the surface today. I spray the surface with the safers insecticide mix periodically to keep the adults down.

Do you have an oscillating fan you could have blowing under the canopy and over the soil? Gnats are terrible fliers and it keeps them from getting where they want to go. Since I started doing this I havnt needed anything other than a couple sticky traps. Worked better than neem oil, safers soap and nematodes combined.

Do you have an oscillating fan you could have blowing under the canopy and over the soil? Gnats are terrible fliers and it keeps them from getting where they want to go. Since I started doing this I havnt needed anything other than a couple sticky traps. Worked better than neem oil, safers soap and nematodes combined.
I had pretty much wiped them out with mosquito dunks. But I had the soil in multiple containers and locations. So I must have missed some.

I have a small hurricane fan, but it’s fixed. I dropped it down to cover as much of the soil surface as possible. Still some adults kicking around but I will keep spraying the safers soap.

These bastards never really get a good foothold here. Too many weapons lol

I had pretty much wiped them out with mosquito dunks. But I had the soil in multiple containers and locations. So I must have missed some.

I have a small hurricane fan, but it’s fixed. I dropped it down to cover as much of the soil surface as possible. Still some adults kicking around but I will keep spraying the safers soap.

if you pick up your pots there underneath so I spray the floor and underneath everything the walls to it really helps!

bugs...? I hate bugs! If I were just cleaning the tent and know that my plants/ roots will have zero contact then I use bleach. For the equipment I used Flying Skull, Bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide, and 3 weeks of dark. Everything is dead.

And 3 weeks later, I'm growing again. This all started the beginning of October for me. Popped my first seed just before Halloween.

On my way to B's to try the new Ultra Lemon Haze vs. Haze Extreme. Do you like black licorice?

bugs...? I hate bugs! If I were just cleaning the tent and know that my plants/ roots will have zero contact then I use bleach. For the equipment I used Flying Skull, Bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide, and 3 weeks of dark. Everything is dead.

And 3 weeks later, I'm growing again. This all started the beginning of October for me. Popped my first seed just before Halloween.

On my way to B's to try the new Ultra Lemon Haze vs. Haze Extreme. Do you like black licorice?
Love the lemon haze, not a big fan of black Licorice. Newty sent me some liberty haze that I loved, so pretty stoked to flower that out. Excited to see what that skunk ends up like too.

I did a good tent clean and dark period for a few weeks. I may have reintroduced the bugs by adding some soil/clay that was sitting on the shelf. Trying to get all the random bags of soil together.

Took a couple phone pics today, not quality, but good enough to see what I saw.

Zero five hundred.
View media item 1648833
Zero nine hundred approx.
View media item 1648834
Couple other random thoughts.

I am finding my joints don’t stay lit when I use the filters, as well as my non-filtered joints. I find I can taste the strain more though.

I have invested a lot of time, money, and effort in building my soil and amassing all my amendments. However, I am going to be trying different things as I move forward.

Next photoperiod round will be with an autopot system, with the reservoir gravity feeding the bottom of the pots. I didn’t think watering would be an issue, but between the size of the bins, the good drainage I have, and then the scrog net...it’s an issue. My plants will thank me.

I think eventually I will try another medium or grow method. Top feed, dwc and top feed, who knows. I ought to understand other folks perspectives and experiences. Science beeeyotch.

All auto run in the bins next?

I also fed the plants tonight, some of remos magnifical, phd to 6.4.

Lots more of the little fungus gnats on the soil. I will do another H2O2 soil drench in a few days. Once the top is dry enough I will dust it with DE again. They hate that shit. Need another fan, only have one blowing over one bin.

Took a couple shots of the sick looking skunk with the good camera. As a pre-calmag photo, I will wait a day or two and take a few more and see if there is improvement to the skunks colour and visible stress.

:high-five:

Took a couple phone pics today, not quality, but good enough to see what I saw.

Zero five hundred.
View media item 1648833
Zero nine hundred approx.
View media item 1648834
Couple other random thoughts.

I am finding my joints don’t stay lit when I use the filters, as well as my non-filtered joints. I find I can taste the strain more though.

I have invested a lot of time, money, and effort in building my soil and amassing all my amendments. However, I am going to be trying different things as I move forward.

Next photoperiod round will be with an autopot system, with the reservoir gravity feeding the bottom of the pots. I didn’t think watering would be an issue, but between the size of the bins, the good drainage I have, and then the scrog net...it’s an issue. My plants will thank me.

I think eventually I will try another medium or grow method. Top feed, dwc and top feed, who knows. I ought to understand other folks perspectives and experiences. Science beeeyotch.

All auto run in the bins next?

I also fed the plants tonight, some of remos magnifical, phd to 6.4.

Lots more of the little fungus gnats on the soil. I will do another H2O2 soil drench in a few days. Once the top is dry enough I will dust it with DE again. They hate that shit. Need another fan, only have one blowing over one bin.

Took a couple shots of the sick looking skunk with the good camera. As a pre-calmag photo, I will wait a day or two and take a few more and see if there is improvement to the skunks colour and visible stress.
good luck with your gnats!

I have been watching my mailbox like a hawk for some seeds. Still expecting some free Bruce Banger, Alaskan Purple, and Bubba Kush. My luck has been pretty good with winning seeds.

But, instead, I get this big fat parcel. I recognized @newty handwriting. Thank you very much for such a kind and generous care package. I’m all fucked up on the liberty haze. That bud smells like the old killer buds from the 90’s. Well done, you grow some killer cannabis.

Plus all those snacky snacks are going to make for some fun times.

I can never say another bad word about the rough riders lol. Thank you Sis. I am stingy with my hugs, it gives them more power :hug:
Omg! I totally missed this!! I’m sorry I haven’t been around here much, busy bee. I’m so glad you like my stuff! Omg comparing my stuff to the 90’s is about the best compliment a grow girl can get!! I need to send you this blue dream once it’s cured. The terpene profile is OUTRAGEOUS! So much so I can taste it in the cookies I made last night! Cray

Your beautiful garden looks great as usual! You made my day today brother:)

Omg! I totally missed this!! I’m sorry I haven’t been around here much, busy bee. I’m so glad you like my stuff! Omg comparing my stuff to the 90’s is about the best compliment a grow girl can get!! I need to send you this blue dream once it’s cured. The terpene profile is OUTRAGEOUS! So much so I can taste it in the cookies I made last night! Cray

Your beautiful garden looks great as usual! You made my day today brother:)

Thanks Newty :) I am inches away from copying your exact grow set up to grow some of that tasty bud! I am hoping my Skunk1 comes close to that amazing profile I got from both the Moby Dick and Liberty haze. Dying for some of that funk.

Back
Top Bottom