Iwltfum's Recirculating Coco GH Journal - Harlequin - Blackwater OG - China Jack

That's encouraging. I hope you can get rid of them completely and keep them out. It sucks being parasitized. I was looking at my plants last night thinking how grateful I am not to have mites. I feel like I have a bit of PTSD from the mite episodes. Like I hardly even dare think 'mite' without knocking on wood or something in case 'they' somehow hear me.

Damn that garden's looking great! :thumb: +reps

The DE will work better if you add it to water and spray it on the undersides of the leaves good. That's where the mites like to hang out a lot. Just shake the sprayer a lot as work to keep the DE in suspension. Tends to wear out sprayer parts pretty fast so use a cheap one or one of those ones that have a hand pump on them and use air pressure to force the liquid out.

You might want to do some bud washing on the plants when you crop them after using DE in flowering tho it will get in the resin glands and you won't get it all off. Pretty harmless as long as you're not breathing in the dry stuff. Washing should remove all the bug poop too.

:peace:

Damn that garden's looking great! :thumb: +reps

The DE will work better if you add it to water and spray it on the undersides of the leaves good. That's where the mites like to hang out a lot. Just shake the sprayer a lot as work to keep the DE in suspension. Tends to wear out sprayer parts pretty fast so use a cheap one or one of those ones that have a hand pump on them and use air pressure to force the liquid out.

You might want to do some bud washing on the plants when you crop them after using DE in flowering tho it will get in the resin glands and you won't get it all off. Pretty harmless as long as you're not breathing in the dry stuff. Washing should remove all the bug poop too.

:peace:

Hey OMU thanks for stopping by and for the reps. back at ya! (EDIT: apparently I have given you too many rep points OMU! They won't let me give you any more until I give some out to other people. So I tried +repping WC and Roach and then tried you again, but it STILL didn't work. So I'm off to bestow some random acts of reputation on people on your behalf.)

Fortunately the plants that have DE on them in the pictures don't actually have any signs of russet activity, and I stopped putting the DE on them in week 3 of bloom (a week after those pictures were taken) because I didn't want to coat any trichomes with it. The diversity of crops that I have growing right now seems to be keeping the russet mites on the tomato plants, for the moment they don't seem to be migrating to the cannabis. I'm assuming they are tomato russets and not hemp russets by how much they prefer those tomato plants. I will try combining the DE with water in a spray with those and see if I can rid myself completely of these critters.

Nice looking garden! Some of those plants look to be yellowing up quite nicely, so a harvest should be approaching..

Interesting info on the DE spraying; I hadn't seen someone apply it to the leaves before. Hopefully it rids you of those terrible critters!

Thanks jojo!
I dropped the PPM down to 250 in week 7 out of 8 with those yellow ones and I think it was a bit too low for the week before flush, but they seemed to finish earlier than normal and I didn't want them to shoot out crazy fox tails. I guess I'll just flush a little earlier next time that happens.

In other news:

I might be getting a new job in a different part of the state and might have to move out of my current house. It would be a little bit of a transition since my current landlord is awesome and basically just leaves me alone as long as I pay rent. I would hate to give that up, but with this new job, I wouldn't feel the need to grow as much of my own since the new place grows organically anyway (I hate smoking the weed I grow for my current employer :shhh::laugh:). Anyway, I am driving over there for the interview in a couple of days. Should be interesting!

I got the job!

jojo- I definitely do not like trimming around fox tails. Dry trimming bud with fox tails is even worse than wet trimming. I used to grow for a recreational grower in Denver. But I'm happy to say that I put in my two weeks notice today and now I'm working in the organic produce industry!

EDIT: Not that I don't like growing cannabis, I just don't like growing it for other people that don't compensate you nearly as equally as they compensate themselves...you don't even want to know what kind of car my current, or should I say previous, employer drives.

THE UGLY DUCKLING
IMG_022336.jpg

Hey guys, I haven't posted anything grow room related for a second so I thought I'd share a picture.

Speaking of fox tails...

Foxtails are a bit of a PITA but I just nip them off and toss them in the hash pile. Nothing goes to waste. :)

L8r

Nothing getting wasted on my side of the screen either OMU! I'm pretty sure those got smoked as is, but they might have ended up in the hash bucket. That particular fox tail was due to heat stress. 100%.

That is a nice avatar iwltfum, I knew you looked like a cowboy

haha thanks roach

That IS quite the foxtail, thanks for sharing.

Congrats on the job, man! I assume you'll still grace 420 with your presence, even if you move and stop your personal grow?

And I didn't know you were a dry trimmer... I knew there had to be something wrong with you! :)

I hope so. My life will be hectic in the next month or so, but I think I'll still be able to sneak a peak at everyone's journals from time to time until things slow down. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to keep growing at my new place. I'll have to feel things out first.

I've trimmed wet and dry. I'm probably quicker at wet trimming, but I've noticed that more leaf comes off when I dry trim and it ends up making the bud taste better in return. Most of the "caregivees" (I hate calling them patients...I'm not a doctor) that I've had over the years would have a fit if I ever gave them any wet trimmed bud. It's a little bit of a hassle, but well worth the effort in my opinion and those of several other growers that I know.

I've probably got almost 1000 hours of trimming under my belt. SO happy to know that I won't be doing that as much anymore.

Awesome avatar picture :thumb: Congrats on the job too. Sounds awesome! Dry trimming hey? Hmmmm... Always more skills to learn, but I can't say I've enjoyed any dry trimming I've done. Not that I enjoy the wet trimming too much either...I was going to ask you to go into more detail about dry trimming but then figured you've probably got lots on your plate right now to keep you busy, so I'll do a little googling.

Ok I've made you guys wait long enough. These are all processed and gone now, so we'll start with the china jack.

I tried to take these pictures so you could see how some branches were woven through the screen and some branches were just left to do their thing (no supper cropping on this plant) --

IMG_064327.jpg

IMG_064426.JPG

IMG_064633.JPG

This picture doesn't do the frostiness justice, but I had to try
IMG_064736.jpg

Awesome avatar picture :thumb: Congrats on the job too. Sounds awesome! Dry trimming hey? Hmmmm... Always more skills to learn, but I can't say I've enjoyed any dry trimming I've done. Not that I enjoy the wet trimming too much either...I was going to ask you to go into more detail about dry trimming but then figured you've probably got lots on your plate right now to keep you busy, so I'll do a little googling.

I'm not opposed to answering a question about dry trimming. What were you curious about?

A couple of years ago, my family was coming to Colorado for Christmas, but to a different part of the state and I had to go meet them and hang out for a couple of days. Just so happened that my harvest came down about 5 days before I had to be 9 hours away so I just brought my entire harvest with me and trimmed it during Christmas family time. It was pretty fun. Got the whole family involved (they are not familiar with the legality of it here so it was an absurd amount of fun for them). Anyway, we only had two pairs of kitchen scissors between the six of us at this rental house and so I taught my whole family how to dry trim with just a stem (about the size of a toothpick). That was a memorable Christmas. I guess sitting here watching a bit of a blizzard happening outside made me think of that.

Back
Top Bottom