I am not fond of chemical stuff either. I tried out a really nice home spray pest mix, using half an onion, a garlic clove, some water, blend it up, and filter out the solids, then mix a few drops of something like Dr Bonner's liquid castille soap in and spray it on. I found it worked great for the mites that were troubling the plants at the time but not sure against snails or slugs, but at least it shouldn't harm anything else. But I read copper tape is supposed to stop snails/slugs from crossing it, so that also sounds good.

Aging and eyesight, it's a bummer of a combination. As a kid I used to tie tiny flies for trout fishing, I think even with glasses I'd struggle with that now.

I am not fond of chemical stuff either. I tried out a really nice home spray pest mix, using half an onion, a garlic clove, some water, blend it up, and filter out the solids, then mix a few drops of something like Dr Bonner's liquid castille soap in and spray it on. I found it worked great for the mites that were troubling the plants at the time but not sure against snails or slugs, but at least it shouldn't harm anything else. But I read copper tape is supposed to stop snails/slugs from crossing it, so that also sounds good.

Aging and eyesight, it's a bummer of a combination. As a kid I used to tie tiny flies for trout fishing, I think even with glasses I'd struggle with that now.
That sounds like something I could try.
The soap for a wetting agent?
Could I substitute yucca extract in its place?

Getting old is nothing like the brochure promised :rofl:

That sounds like something I could try.
The soap for a wetting agent?
Could I substitute yucca extract in its place?
Yes the soap acts as a wetting agent but also it can work well on some pests, maybe aphids but I can't remember off hand, but the main thing as a wetting agent.

No signs of life in the tent yet.

IMG20220518115945.jpg

I've decided to name the outdoor girl 'Winter Queen', since it's going to be winter soon.
I've been fussing over her today and I noticed a lot of mycelium growth under the mulch, unfortunately I didn't think to get pics before I top dressed. Sorry. Next time.
I spread one cup each of 4-4-4 and 2-8-4 under the mulch and then covered it back up again.
I trimmed her up to concentrate growth on 4 main stems, staked her down, turned her around, and wham, bam, thank you ma'am, she's done :rofl:
Anyway, thanks for watching.

IMG20220518135305.jpg

IMG20220518135321.jpg

IMG20220518140118.jpg

IMG20220518142624.jpg

It's been 10 days since I dropped the zkittlez seed that Trala sent me. She's a no show. I think it may have been damaged in transit as well.
I don't think it's going to happen, so I dropped one of the other zkittlez seeds I got from a mate. I thought I'd try the pale seed since Stunger had a good result with immature seeds.
I put it in some water last night and it will be planted if it cracks open.

The Winter queen is still alive, no doubt she is slowing down in the cold weather though.

IMG20220523093944.jpg

IMG20220523093743.jpg

IMG20220523093725.jpg

I’m really sorry Joe.

I should have thought more about packing.
It's not your fault, well it kind of is :rofl:
I'm disappointed I couldn't grow it for you, but it's not the end of the world...yet.
Your kindness in sending me seeds meant I talked to a friend about it, and he gave me zkittlez seeds because he could see how excited I was, and how much I talked about it.
I could have dragged the winter queen inside and been a good deal closer to flower since she's already established, but I wanted to grow a zkittlez for you to show you my appreciation. You didn't have to help me, but you did.
That means a lot. More than you know.
Thank you T. Luv ya darl'.
:thanks:

Now please stop apologizing and watch the show...

The situation has changed... again.

I'm not having much luck popping seeds at the moment, so I decided to bring the Winter girl back inside.
I figured I might as well make the most of what I already have growing.

I gave her a 5ltr drink with organic acids and yucca extract.
I also adjusted the light intensity so that I have around 800 ppfd at the tops. I'll keep an eye on her and adjust again if needed.

I'm not sure why the seed didn't do anything.
I have 2 zkittlez seeds left now.
I'll try again after Winter girl is finished.

IMG20220528121905.jpg

I top dressed today with 1.5 cups of 2-8-4, and 2 cups of worm castings mixed together. Then I watered it in with 1 gallon of water mixed with yucca extract and a few drops of superthrive. She seems to be adjusting to the light quite well.
The temperature outside is between 3°c and 15°c. Temperature inside is between 20°c and 25°c. Humidity is around 50% give or take.

IMG20220529115708.jpg

I didn't realize that winter queen was already being used (sorry Bill), so I'll have to come up with another name.
How about 4 head? It'll probably change again tomorrow :rofl:
Anyway, I top dressed with frass meal this morning, to help with the soil biology.
She's looking healthy and happy.
I turned the light up again, ppfd is around 900 now.

IMG20220531110004.jpg

IMG20220530172446.jpg

Back
Top Bottom