Kitty's First Grow Spring 2017: LED & CFL & Sun

Omg guys... I think I underestimated the power behind this Mars 1200. It's fucking HUGE! Amazing! It's seriously brand spanking new! It was a beautiful drive to go pick it up as well! She is a massive beast. Still can't believe I got it for 200!!!! Still waiting on the tent to set her up properly. I think the seedlings will be fine in the veg closet a little longer. Tent should be her mon-tues. gonna transplant my larger seedlings before then tooLots to do lots to do...
420-magazine-mobile1365365564.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1034164444.jpg
420-magazine-mobile260976366.jpg
420-magazine-mobile669663175.jpg
420-magazine-mobile406379143.jpg
here is my Mars2 1200!!!
420-magazine-mobile1636303645.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi Kitty... I saw your post about your leaf issue and thought I'd stop by to see whats what here.

The 1200 is a big light. It will work fine for your tent, its the only lamp you will need in there.

It will get hot if you keep the doors shut, so think about air filter/fans.

You girls look fine you need to transplant into larger pots - much larger pots for many reasons. You are running REG seeds meaning they are not sexed. You will get more males if you let them get root bound at this stage....so give them a nice large space to get a root ball going.

I did the cfls to add heat and light. They are just the type you buy for light not grow lights.
You said your were getting some cfls that are for growing?
happy growing

That lights a beast. Im Ordering the baby version in the morning - the 300w.

Happy growing .

Sent from my A0001 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The Mars 300w is great for my seedling/early veg space! You can see I supplement with cfls and the girls really seem to like that. I loved it so much I got the 1200 for flower when I was originally considering a 600w hps. I also live in Italy where electricity is verrrry costly. LED was really the only way to go for me... Thanks for stopping by!!! I wish you green thumbs and happy growing!

Hi Kitty... I saw your post about your leaf issue and thought I'd stop by to see whats what here.

The 1200 is a big light. It will work fine for your tent, its the only lamp you will need in there.

It will get hot if you keep the doors shut, so think about air filter/fans.

You girls look fine you need to transplant into larger pots - much larger pots for many reasons. You are running REG seeds meaning they are not sexed. You will get more males if you let them get root bound at this stage....so give them a nice large space to get a root ball going.

Thank you! Both for stopping by and calming my fears on my discoloration. I am going up to 6.5 liter squares (just under 2 gallon) on the larger 5 plants today. I had some issues early on getting seeds to crack so my plants are all different ages (sprouted over the course of 5 or so days). I don't think the smaller ones are ready to transplant just yet. I bought my pots before I bought my 1200 and tent... so they are smaller than what I would have bought had I known I would have more light but they will do for now. Wishful thinking hopes I might see sex in these pots but rate of growth is telling me otherwise... I will have one more transplant to do.

So since they are going into a fresh pot of biobizz allmix they have more soil with nutrients to consume.... so I won't be doing ADDED nutrients yet. I AM doing all organic... with the biobizz line of soil and nutrients. Also my tap water is a around 315 ppm (sometimes my pen goes up to 345) so I feel like there are a good amount of solids in my water already... hence me not reaching for the calmag. My tap ph is about 6... raises a bit upon sitting out to dechlorinate. Nonetheless with all organic... and soil... ph isn't my BIGGEST worry in this grow.

Does that all sound right?

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

xxKitty

I did the cfls to add heat and light. They are just the type you buy for light not grow lights.
You said your were getting some cfls that are for growing?
happy growing

The CFLs with the word 'grow' on them ARE the same CFLs you buy at your local store. Companies have found that when you add the word 'grow' in front of something they can charge you a SHIT load more money. When looking at CFLs for supplementation you want to pay attention to two things... ONE: The ACTUAL wattage... not what it compares to. Companies have to put they actual draw wattage of their bulbs on the pack. I have two 30watt, one 60 watt in my grow now. I also have two 150watts on their way (labeled for photography use but like I said that does not matter). None of these bulbs I have are specified for GROW but like I said that doesn't matter. The second number that is important is the bulbs color temp which is measured in Kelvins. For Veg you want Higher Kelvin... something close to 6500. For Flower you want lower Kelvin... as close to 2700 as you can get. That ALL being said... never sacrifice wattage for kelvins... in that if you see a great bulb for your grow for a great price and it is 30 watts but 3700 kelvin... that bulb will work. Wattage is more important than kelvin IMO.

Hope that helps!

xxKitty

Phew... I got them transplanted! That was a LOT more work than I anticipated! I wasn't expecting this many of my plants to get this far so the last little guy is going to have to wait until the tent arrives this week.

I am literally using every inch of space I have until I get the Mars1200 hung up and running in the new tent. This is a quick pic... taken about 15 hours post transplant. No sign of shock and they seem to be perking up. I'm sure they will love all the num nums in that fresh BioBizz all mix!

Also... these 6.5 liter (just under 2 gallon) pots don't look very big but they are. I really hope I will get to sexing before having to transplant again because it's sooo much soil. I guess this is where people tell me feminized seeds cut out the need for so many plants... hence cutting costs later down the line. Oh well... at least they are all looking happy and healthy in their roomy new spots!

Looking good Kitty... yes those pots are perfect for transplanting seedlings into. In the states thats very similar to a #2 nursery pot and that it the size I use for this stage. I also much much prefer square pots.. they take up less space for same amount of soil.

If I grow auto plants they stay in them to the end. Larger plants I go up another step to 7gal (26 liter) pots.

It's pretty early for sexing the plants.. they will show soon enough. You plants look perfectly healthy, good job!

That 1200w lamp is a heavy one eh?? I've used a few of them to grow with. Got lots of big flowers... you should be overwhelmed in not too long ... plants will get big with that lamp.

350ppm from tap water is a lot... I'd be filtering it here in the states.. maybe in Italy they have better quality water??

KIG

Looking good Kitty... yes those pots are perfect for transplanting seedlings into. In the states thats very similar to a #2 nursery pot and that it the size I use for this stage. I also much much prefer square pots.. they take up less space for same amount of soil.

If I grow auto plants they stay in them to the end. Larger plants I go up another step to 7gal (26 liter) pots.

It's pretty early for sexing the plants.. they will show soon enough. You plants look perfectly healthy, good job!

That 1200w lamp is a heavy one eh?? I've used a few of them to grow with. Got lots of big flowers... you should be overwhelmed in not too long ... plants will get big with that lamp.

350ppm from tap water is a lot... I'd be filtering it here in the states.. maybe in Italy they have better quality water??

KIG

Hi! I really thank you for coming by and helping me with feedback... This... isn't the most exciting part of the grow journey I guess.... Sometimes I feel like I am talking to myself... but it is a journal after all ;)

When I was looking at the pots as empties I was worried they would be too small an increase... well not worried but rather concerned about wasting my time and having to up pot again in less than a week. Once I filled them up and saw just how much soil they hold... and how much WATER that biobizz allmix/perlite mix I make up soaks up in those big squares... I think they were the PERFECT size. Any bigger and I would have issues getting them to dry out properly before watering. I was scared about being late on the transplant but I think they were perfect. I have been really lucky so far.

I do plan on going up one more size... considering fabric pots for their final home. They are about the same prices... especially when you get to the real big plastic squares. I don't like the idea of 'airpruning' roots until the plant is in its FINAL home. So that is why I would make the switch in final transplant. Maybe I should just stick with the plastic squares. They seem to be fine. Instead of trays I replace absorbent 'pee pads' underneath my pots every 5-7 days. The kind I have are for kids (or adults) that wet the bed and they make the PERFECT surface for the pots to breathe on. Not to mention being able to throw away a messy pad after a big water or transplant. I know one of the key facets to keeping indoor gardening pest free is to keep everything as clean as possible. The pads are such a great way to ensure a clean dry surface that air can get to the pot holes through.

I know I know... its very early to be thinking about sex. I am just anxious. I am concerned about getting rid of any plants before that point because... say I judge them on their size, or structure, etc. One of those facets could be the identifying factor between my males and females. And so I want to give every plant a chance to flourish knowing that any one could become my most beloved Mama. (I think I will keep one mama plant for clones).

Where I live in Italy the water is sourced from the nearby natural springs in the mountains. If I had a traditional well or bad city water... I would be concerned but the high PPM count is due to natural solids in the spring water... all mineral based... not chlorine and pollutants... or overwhelming amounts of one mineral like the problems that come with owning your own well in the States. (I grew up with orange water from iron deposits in our well in southern Maryland). I think I should be okay... as long as I account for my ppm count when mixing nutrients later down the line... which is why I got the pen. Also.. when looking at the nutrients that are made for hard water... all say they are meant for use with ppm counts over 500. So... unless I see lock out issues... which I highly doubt as I am of the less is more mentality... I am hoping my mountain water will work. It tastes absolutely wonderful... so it can't be too bad right? lol (Maybe that is backwards thinking) Just because I like the taste of spring water doesn't mean my plants do....

Anyway... sorry for long winded writing. OH... after giving the transplanted plants about 48 hours of non stop light... I FINALLY figured out how to work my crazy ass light timer... so my girls are now on their 20/4 veg lighting. I am not doing this to save electricity. I would keep 'em on 24 hours a day (which I have been doing throughout the seedling stage) but I think they will be happiest with a little darkness... especially to avoid stress and 'push' for more females.

Blah didily blah blah blah. So that's it for now. Looks like my next update will be when I get my tent up this week. (It is due to arrive between Tues-Thurs.) Lets hope it comes quick because my girls need space SOOOO badly!!!

xxKitty

Wow your water sounds perfect.. probably wont need any nutrients it may be that good! Lucky you... I'm in PA, Philly so familiar with crappy tap water...we use RO filters for all the drinking and plant needs.

The only issue with the natural spring water is what's actually in it. I would get it tested for me just for peace of mind... I'm sure its fine specially if it tastes good right?

Sometimes I add in some Italian mineral water as a treat for my ladies when they are performing well!!

Not sure of what part of Italy you're in but there's some mighty fine water there and soil too.. probably some of the best in the world judging by the food and wine that is produced there.. lucky you. Take it all in and most of all enjoy the beautiful country. That's awesome...

Hi Kitty they look great. My baby is 1 in tall today plus I planted 2 more seeds and a bounus 1 of my Sour Diesle seeds cracked and I will plant it tonight. 4 totall. So I think I am about 4 weeks behind you. I will be along for the ride.
happy growing

eBay seller took their sweet time shipping my tent so girls are still basking in the veg closet. Happy healthy. This beautiful piece popped off when I was tucking some branches. So beautiful...
420-magazine-mobile1740235918.jpg

They are 3 weeks tomorrow so I'll do some headshots.

XxKitty

Back
Top Bottom