Landrace Genetics 101

The current Tikal isn't a lightweight. In fact, it has a fairly thick high to it.

Thais are probably the best low-THC strains, but they're not fun to grow. :straightface:

I do a lot of strain hunting, but I'm looking for potency, so I pass over a lot of interesting ones that I can't remember now. :laugh: I'll often find a strain that's been bred for color or flavor or something, and it will have THC under 15%, and of course, many of the pure landraces aren't very potent.

I agree. A Mexican that's been preserved rather than "improved" might be the best place to look.

Oh great better info on Tikal. As far as Mexican I might think of in seed form there is Mextiza by Cannabiogen which is NepalJam x Oaxaca, so nice mix of sativas, there are Jalisco IBL and Oaxaca by Eskobar, and there is Jarilla de Sinaloa. They say El Dorado from Nirvana has also a lot if genuine Mexican influence... but you'd be probably golden if you went to Mexico yourself and started collecting buds :laughtwo:

Oh, hey!, we forgot about the CBD strains.

It's getting easier to find a 1:1 THC/CBD strain under 10% each. A lot of us should start paying more attention to the physical benefits of CBD.

So I'd look at CBD strains that have been bred to favorite sativas. :slide:

[Edit] Yeah, what Keltic said ... :bongrip:

I'm an occasional smoker, and usually use a dugout one hitter. It would be nice to have a mild, "weak", strain of Sativa (around 5%) to rip once in a while. A little change in perception and slightly brighter colors is really what I'm looking for, but every time I toke off any of the strains offered today I find myself having to get into a street war with aliens. From a purely business standpoint, I think this is something that could be marketed and sold effectively... especially in recreationally legal states.

are ya looking for something you can smoke a ton of and still function. Or just a more mellowed not so overwhelming (and still sativa I get that).

Kind of both I guess. But mostly the first one. I think the second option is probably out there among the billion strains I haven't tried yet. But like everything else it's probably knock you on your ass strong.

Have ya tried a thc/cbd balanced? I dunno if that would help.

No - I'm working on that but my little CBD Therapy plant is only two inches high yet. Not sure what cbd/thc ratio I'll end up with as it varies drastically with that strain. The whole cbd thing is a mystery to me. I'm thinking maybe I could experiment and mix and match the Cbd Therapy plant with some of the stronger strains I have to end up with different ratios/effects....or something. (Not sure if that's a legitimate option but I'm curious to try it...)
Not what I meant in the original post but still very interesting.

i would almost bet there is a breeder like Ace that has sativa like that but maybe doesn't market it.

That's totally what I was thinking too. Their catalog doesn't really get into thc levels. I'll email them now and see if they have any ideas. I'll post their reply here if they have anything worthwhile to say.

It's funny- when I go shopping I'm as guilty as anyone of going for the high thc strains, even though it's sort of stupid because in many situations I like to smoke the weaker ones. I suppose it's just natural greed ;).

I really think there may be a market for a weaker strain. But probably only if it was clearly advertised as such, and was a high quality strain in all ways in spite of not being super high thc.

Thanks for all the awesome replies and suggestions! I'll investigate all of them.

Ok Luis from Ace got back to me in his usual prompt style. Here is some of what he said.
Yes, Honduras is what you are looking for, it's a soft sativa effect in strength but with great euphoric and energetic qualities:

Honduras Standard - ACE Seeds - Brands

Honduras allow you to smoke all the day and you won't feel tired, sedated, or with hangover,
on the other hand you will feel motivated and energetic to do things, and the head clear.
Kind regards, Luis - ACE Seeds -

So you found it, awesome! Yeah I myself like high THC strains less and less, mainly cause as I get older I want more medicinal effect in my weed from CBD, and after trying few landrace sativas I can definitely say THC is only small part of the game as they are around 10-18% usually, and the high they give you beats stronger hybrids most of the time.

Yep they call them World of Shit in Spain :laughtwo:

It's been mentioned on this thread before how the curing process in some places resulted in brown 'fermented' bud. The sativas I used to get when I started smoking were brown, not green. As was pretty much all the bud I got in places like Thailand and India. I never saw the harvest/curing process firsthand but I'm assuming it mostly wasn't always from any special process so much as hot and humid conditions.

Has anyone on 420 tried curing bud this way, or have any ideas or knowledge of how I could do it without ending up with a pile of mold?

There is a great thread, not on 420 but out there somewhere, on curing Malawi Gold bud the traditional way by wrapping it in banana leaf and burying it.
Actually there is a thread on that in 420 too but it's incomplete and not as good.
I live in a cold wet place. Everything goes moldy here given half a chance. Maybe it's the lack of air inside a banana leaf wrap that makes this work? :hmmmm:

image18923.jpeg

image18924.jpeg

image18925.jpeg

This Thai Stick plant is a discontinued landrace strain I got from Ace Seeds. The seeds of this strain were originally gathered in Nong Khai province (northeast Thailand) by some dude who calls himself Gypsy Nirvana. It was promoted to him by whoever he met there, as being the same basic strain that was used to make the Thai sticks in the old days. Ace got the strain from him and sold it for a while.
My conclusion after wrestling with this long flowering strain for the last year and a half is that it's just a regular sort of average Thai ditch weed. Small buds that take 16-18 weeks to mature. 'Regular Thai ditch weed' still a good thing and a nice clear smoke, but I've let go of the idea that it's going to recreate some sort of magical Thai Stick experience for me.
It goes without saying that it's going to be a much reduced plant when grown in a pot under a lightbulb and not in its natural habitat under the sun.
Anyway... I got some seeds from it which I'll save, but am going to discontinue growing the strain. I'll save the seeds in case somebody wants some someday.
If I have time and figure something out I will try to make brown bud with it. But how?

As far as I know most of their stuff is a knockoff. Their sativas are not worth growing as they have very little original genetics in them, but Afghan Special is supposed to be good indica, better than regular Afghan, which I grew and the smoke was nothing to write home about. If I was tempted by landrace indicas from their stock I'd probably try Ketama which is Maroc basically, and most likely imported from Morocco. Will be pain in the as to get a good pheno, but this is at least landrace.

I have grown WOS Colombian Gold and it was real close to the original I had in the late 70's.

Even the taste was close and it was among the smellier plants I have grown.

It is my #2 strain

Good to know, I never grew it myself, but always saw Afghan type of plants when others grew it.

Good to know, I never grew it myself, but always saw Afghan type of plants when others grew it.

she was definately on the sativa side. the buds were on the thinner side of what I normally grow, but they were pretty solid.

they look fatter in the pics than they dried to. you can tell a little better on the close ups

this one is from the mom, I had flash backs to the late 70's after smoking her for the first time.:smokin:
G24_Colombian_Gold_1c1.JPG

these are from her clone, grew her 11/13 from transplant
G25_CG_6_wks_flwr_11.JPG
G25_CG_6_wks_flwr_21.JPG
G25_CG_6_wks_flwr_31.JPG

she was definately on the sativa side. the buds were on the thinner side of what I normally grow, but they were pretty solid.

they look fatter in the pics than they dried to. you can tell a little better on the close ups

this one is from the mom, I had flash backs to the late 70's after smoking her for the first time.:smokin:
G24_Colombian_Gold_1c1.JPG

these are from her clone, grew her 11/13 from transplant
G25_CG_6_wks_flwr_11.JPG
G25_CG_6_wks_flwr_21.JPG
G25_CG_6_wks_flwr_31.JPG

I grew WOS CG; smokes great- but i never had it in the 70s to compare- i will ask a buddy if it is similar ;)...made CG seeds(and some other interesting mixes) with a CG male and CG female..

Back
Top Bottom