Leaf Tacos - Strain Related

Puffinaway

420 Member
Hello all, question regarding my plants GDP autos.
2 of my plants seem to have some different genetics as the leaves are fatter and the plants arent growing as well as the other 2.
Everything is the same in all 4 pots. Im trying to figure out why the leaves are taco-ing. Maybe the cause of the taco leaves is the reason why these 2 plants arent growing as well as the others.

I added a stock photo from a seed website that also shows the taco leafs which got me to think maybe its a strain heredity and not related to nutes at all ?

Anyway, I was hoping to get some thoughts so I can learn from this grow. Thanks!

Dirt is Happy Frog and Ocean Forest mix 50/50
no nutes have been added
ph ~ 6.5
temp 81
rh 55%

Screenshot 2024-05-15 091245.png

IMG-6494.jpg

IMG-6487.jpg

This is one of the other plants growing good to compare.

IMG-6488.jpg

IMG-6495.jpg

Ok 50/50 mix and you are in a SIP, did you cut it with extra perlite?
Are you doing top water or filling the res?

About the GDP strain thing and leaves looking different. Seeds taken from a bud or pack of seeds do not grow identical plants. Each bean will grow a unique GDP plant that reflects the full range of its parental genetics.

As far as leaf taco could be too much light but worth mentioning autos can be finicky and soil looks overly saturated. The other thing is it takes about 2 weeks after transplant for the plant to convert from soil roots on wet dry cycle and adapt to water roots for sip/swick. Unless of course it was started as seedling on SIP methods

Right now biggest concerns are soil mix, for self watering setup like SIP & SWICKs you need an additional 40% extra aeration….

Some of them do that and some don't- I never have worried about it- some do it for a couple weeks, some their whole lives- it has never, however, caused any problems at all.
It seems to be an indoor/LED thing- never seen it on an outdoor plant..
When/if the leaves start turning funny colors, then you can start to worry- but, with a little luck that'll never happen.... :)

Are those plants in little SIP's?

it's a mild heat/light/rh reaction. if it gets worse i'd intervene. most plants work it out but keep an eye on it.

Ok 50/50 mix and you are in a SIP, did you cut it with extra perlite?
Are you doing top water or filling the res?

no perlite. I started top watering, but now it seems to be taking water from the res. Theyve all been watered and treated the same. They are 2 weeks old

Some of them do that and some don't- I never have worried about it- some do it for a couple weeks, some their whole lives- it has never, however, caused any problems at all.
It seems to be an indoor/LED thing- never seen it on an outdoor plant..
When/if the leaves start turning funny colors, then you can start to worry- but, with a little luck that'll never happen.... :)

Are those plants in little SIP's?

3 gal SIP's I've never grown in anything under 5 gal before, but wanted to do an experiment to see how these autos grow in the SIP's.

Are the effected plants by chance in the center portion of an oscillating fan's blow path?

Hot dry air in combination with high light can cause it, and a fan will exagerate it.

The center portion of an oscillating fan gets twice the time in the wind as the edges do.

Lowering the temps, or reducing the light, or upping the humidity, or a combination of those factors, should help.

I usually grow in 3's, but awhile back, I split the difference, and went with a 4 gallon SIP...
Not likely that I'll be going back to regular pots any time soon...
bg41-3.jpg

you can probably run them from about a half gallon to however large you want. depends how fast you flip and feeding frequency. plant size increases with bucket capacity and veg time.

no perlite.
You might not have deliberately added Perlite yourself but it does look like particles of Perlite showing on top of the soil. Plus Fox Farms does list Perlite as one of the minor ingredients in both their Happy Frog and the Ocean Forest potting soils.

Don't forget the fertilizers. Fox Farms recommends that fertilizing start after about 3 to 4 weeks. The longer the plant has been growing in the pot and the larger it gets the more additional fertilizer it will need. This becomes very important once your plants start to flower.

Are the effected plants by chance in the center portion of an oscillating fan's blow path?

Hot dry air in combination with high light can cause it, and a fan will exagerate it.

The center portion of an oscillating fan gets twice the time in the wind as the edges do.

Lowering the temps, or reducing the light, or upping the humidity, or a combination of those factors, should help.

Thank you for that info G

I did lower the light intensity to around 65% I must have bumped it, the dial was near 85% I also raised it to keep it around 15" away from the tops of the plants.

The temperature and humidity have been running steady at 80 degrees with 50-55% humidity. small fan is running inside the tent and an exhaust fan is on low to draw some fresh air into the tent.

You might not have deliberately added Perlite yourself but it does look like particles of Perlite showing on top of the soil. Plus Fox Farms does list Perlite as one of the minor ingredients in both their Happy Frog and the Ocean Forest potting soils.

Don't forget the fertilizers. Fox Farms recommends that fertilizing start after about 3 to 4 weeks. The longer the plant has been growing in the pot and the larger it gets the more additional fertilizer it will need. This becomes very important once your plants start to flower.

correct. 013 asked if I added perlite.

Supposedly, from what I've read, Ocean Forest is already a little hot, but short in potassium.

Speaking of nutes, back in the day I used a product called Rapid Grow, which apparently doesnt exist today. That shit rocked for growing outdoors, it was the only nute added to our plants and they absolutely LOVED it!

correct. 013 asked if I added perlite.

Supposedly, from what I've read, Ocean Forest is already a little hot, but short in potassium.

Speaking of nutes, back in the day I used a product called Rapid Grow, which apparently doesnt exist today. That shit rocked for growing outdoors, it was the only nute added to our plants and they absolutely LOVED it!
I did a quick google search using just the name Rapid Grow and there are several different fertilizers with that name or something really close.

Also one of the links mentioned a Rapid Grow fertilizer company that was bought out by a bigger company. Then the name was changed and after awhile it was discontinued.

Might want to do a similar search and see if anything that shows up looks familiar.

I did a quick google search using just the name Rapid Grow and there are several different fertilizers with that name or something really close.

Also one of the links mentioned a Rapid Grow fertilizer company that was bought out by a bigger company. Then the name was changed and after awhile it was discontinued.

Might want to do a similar search and see if anything that shows up looks familiar.

Thanks for the info. I found it but have no idea if its the same chemical makeup or is the same. Also, we used this on plants that were outdoors. We were hiking with milk jugs full of pre mixed water to the 'patch' ... bringing back memories. lol

stopped back by for a update :
I chalked up the leaf curling cause from light intensity. I backed off the intensity and raised the light to 18" above my plants and all is good.
All replies and assistance appreciated. Keep on puffin :blunt:

Back
Top Bottom