Let's get a debate going!

i defol throughout the grow. not super aggressive tho. i lollipop as well to get rid of the undergrowth.

have done zero defol grows as well. no real difference in yields as far as i can tell. i defol mostly for me, not the plant. makes grow management much better.

Lollipopping is a entire other thing than pruning though
I agree. To call defoliating or trimming leaves off a stem the same as Lollipopping just confuses the issue and new growers.

What I wanted to mention is that some growers really get into defoliating big time. They have a fixed schedule that they follow. If I remember right it is for Hempy methods and they will go in and defoliate at/on day 28 of flowering and then again at a specific date. Not sure of the exact number of days but they have a rigid schedule.

What the heck, defoliating or no defoliating, if it does not harm the plant, does not cut the amount harvested and if it makes the grower happy then there is no problem.

Enjoy the new year.

Love the topic. I have seen some amazing results from defoilating. What I haven't seen is a clone experiment showing side by side results. That would make a believer out of me. I would like to see a side by side grow using bushy indicas. One not touched and the other heavily defoilated. If anyone decides to try it let me know I'll follow along. Happy New Year

Once at the flip for the needed areas. Then I try to let them be unless I have a humidity problem and need more air flow.
You know a lot depends on the type of growth and structure your plant gives you. Some you never have to touch and some won’t stop producing leaves. But removal of leaves certainly interferes with the plants overall synthesis.

Love the topic. I have seen some amazing results from defoilating. What I haven't seen is a clone experiment showing side by side results. That would make a believer out of me. I would like to see a side by side grow using bushy indicas. One not touched and the other heavily defoilated. If anyone decides to try it let me know I'll follow along. Happy New Year

agree 420 %

Once at the flip for the needed areas. Then I try to let them be unless I have a humidity problem and need more air flow.
You know a lot depends on the type of growth and structure your plant gives you. Some you never have to touch and some won’t stop producing leaves. But removal of leaves certainly interferes with the plants overall synthesis.

also agree 420 %

:cheesygrinsmiley:

happy new year from bluter guys. looks like everyone is home ok which is the first thing this year to be happy for.

IF growing in doors some defoliation is necessary - NOW the amount of is debatable - IF the leaf you remove the light gained needs to be at least 2x's that of your leaf you are removing, Now this is not taking into account that one should remove inside leaves - large fans leaves ect - and also when one should defoliate - 4th week in veg - some folks top the plant and flip to 12/12

Defoliating during flower? Does it help with yields. Help light penetration to help grow those lower bud sites. Or just cause more harm than good?

From what I have read the further into flower the less u wanna cut anything beside a leaf or two which block all the light. I have read as long as you be smart you can do minimal preventative trims but try to stay away from outright defoliation later in flower.

I deffoliated 3 of 8 at wk 2 or 3ish of flower....

We will see... so far looks like the non def. have bigger nugs but they also happen to get more light reflected to them via tent wall where defol. ones are not getting that bonus. (kinda y i did them more penetration with less reflection)

From what I have read the further into flower the less u wanna cut anything beside a leaf or two which block all the light. I have read as long as you be smart you can do minimal preventative trims but try to stay away from outright defoliation later in flower.

I deffoliated 3 of 8 at wk 2 or 3ish of flower....

We will see... so far looks like the non def. have bigger nugs but they also happen to get more light reflected to them via tent wall where defol. ones are not getting that bonus. (kinda y i did them more penetration with less reflection)
Yes ! many defoliate in week 4 of flower ( we are talking all fan leaves just leaving the sugar leaves More light = more/bugger buds - after week 4 there should be no bud site that is blocked by light - there is a very extreme method of defoliation called "switchizing" (misspelled) it's from the book called Book of Life" cost (500.00) can give you a site to watch that method --- $500.00 a BOOK !!!! "F" that would rather spend in on seeds - PEace

Yes ! many defoliate in week 4 of flower ( we are talking all fan leaves just leaving the sugar leaves More light = more/bugger buds - after week 4 there should be no bud site that is blocked by light - there is a very extreme method of defoliation called "switchizing" (misspelled) it's from the book called Book of Life" cost (500.00) can give you a site to watch that method --- $500.00 a BOOK !!!! "F" that would rather spend in on seeds - PEace

i did this "shwazing" or whatever it's called on a white widow. i didn't notice any difference in the size of the buds, and a lot of the sugar leaves ended up dying and curling back into the buds. i didn't like it and won't do it again.

There is already a huge debate with great information and some with results if you use the search function :) .

Back
Top Bottom