Long time listener, first time caller

Rasterman

Hi everyone! I've been reading threads here for awhile but never created an account until today. I discovered a post by the guy who had a plethora of bagseed left over from the 70s, and the community-serving advice he received, and decided to become a joiner.

I was a stoner in the late 70s and early 80s growing up in the shadow of Mount Shasta in Northern California. Back then I had an 8-track (bear with me). I financed my "sensimilla" habit by becoming the go-between my friends and another friend down the street who grew the best weed. The strain name, at least as far as he knew, was "sensimilla." It was some good shit, let tell you. There was a lot of bad stuff too, but contrary to what some people say now, weed isn't better than it was. I don't even think it's stronger now, at least if you compare best to best.

The difference is that good bud back then was so much better and bad bud was easier to find. But that good bud was vastly superior to anything I've encountered in the past few years.

Anyway, this friend of mine, let's call him "Joel Barnhanger" appreciated my efforts to make his weed disappear. He collected a lot of great vinyl - Black Sabbath, Dio, Molly Hatchett - and would burn me a new 8-track whenever he got a new record.

These 8-tracks weren't the quality of the original. They were good though. I would copy these 8-tracks for my friends, but the copy would degrade some more. After a third-generation copy, forget about it. Much of the original dimension would disappear. You can enjoy these recordings because you remember the song and can still sing along with it. But if you thought too much about the quality you would start to miss the record.

That's modern cannabis. It's attenuated and nothing remains but a hollow echo of the original.

If I smoke a good modern strain after having not smoked for a few months, I enjoy it the first time. Not as much as I did in 1982, but not so bad either - though like I said, the effects are 2D by comparison. Then less and less until a few days later I start wondering whether I should quit. By the time two weeks pass, daily evening-only smoking requires 3-4 bowls to get an unsatisfactory buzz that lasts a few minutes. All of the treble is missing, just like the 8-tracks. The bass is messy and the vocals are unsatisfying.

Either something happened to my cannabinoid receptors or something happened to cannabis. I think my receptors are fine. Booze feels the same as it did back then. Other illicit substances, including those sold under acronumber names until the analog act was passed, all work the same.

I've been growing for just under two years. I've smoked some on and off for the past few years - many varieties. It all blurs together with a few high points, making me think that modern hybrids have lost whatever was special about cannabis.

So I'm going to just keep pheno hunting sativa strains until I find what's missing. This summer I'll be doing an open pollination of Molokai Frost, after which I will keep growing out seeds until I find a fire keeper.

If a specimen isn't fire, I'll make hash oil. If it's fire, I'll keep a clone and get started on my own IBL. Once the Molokai Frost OP is done I'll pick another landrace and do the same thing. Eventually I should have tester moms of 3-4 strains in flower continually, and even with low plant counts, eventually I will find her.

This is me, and I'm looking forward to being part of this community!

@Tokin Roll, I will probably be posting grow journals from time to time. I don't have a lot of images because I always delete them after posting to keep my phone clear of anything that might be considered incriminating to some.

Here's a nug that recently made it into a jar LOL:
20220419_152335.jpg

Hi everyone! I've been reading threads here for awhile but never created an account until today. I discovered a post by the guy who had a plethora of bagseed left over from the 70s, and the community-serving advice he received, and decided to become a joiner.

I was a stoner in the late 70s and early 80s growing up in the shadow of Mount Shasta in Northern California. Back then I had an 8-track (bear with me). I financed my "sensimilla" habit by becoming the go-between my friends and another friend down the street who grew the best weed. The strain name, at least as far as he knew, was "sensimilla." It was some good shit, let tell you. There was a lot of bad stuff too, but contrary to what some people say now, weed isn't better than it was. I don't even think it's stronger now, at least if you compare best to best.

The difference is that good bud back then was so much better and bad bud was easier to find. But that good bud was vastly superior to anything I've encountered in the past few years.

Anyway, this friend of mine, let's call him "Joel Barnhanger" appreciated my efforts to make his weed disappear. He collected a lot of great vinyl - Black Sabbath, Dio, Molly Hatchett - and would burn me a new 8-track whenever he got a new record.

These 8-tracks weren't the quality of the original. They were good though. I would copy these 8-tracks for my friends, but the copy would degrade some more. After a third-generation copy, forget about it. Much of the original dimension would disappear. You can enjoy these recordings because you remember the song and can still sing along with it. But if you thought too much about the quality you would start to miss the record.

That's modern cannabis. It's attenuated and nothing remains but a hollow echo of the original.

If I smoke a good modern strain after having not smoked for a few months, I enjoy it the first time. Not as much as I did in 1982, but not so bad either - though like I said, the effects are 2D by comparison. Then less and less until a few days later I start wondering whether I should quit. By the time two weeks pass, daily evening-only smoking requires 3-4 bowls to get an unsatisfactory buzz that lasts a few minutes. All of the treble is missing, just like the 8-tracks. The bass is messy and the vocals are unsatisfying.

Either something happened to my cannabinoid receptors or something happened to cannabis. I think my receptors are fine. Booze feels the same as it did back then. Other illicit substances, including those sold under acronumber names until the analog act was passed, all work the same.

I've been growing for just under two years. I've smoked some on and off for the past few years - many varieties. It all blurs together with a few high points, making me think that modern hybrids have lost whatever was special about cannabis.

So I'm going to just keep pheno hunting sativa strains until I find what's missing. This summer I'll be doing an open pollination of Molokai Frost, after which I will keep growing out seeds until I find a fire keeper.

If a specimen isn't fire, I'll make hash oil. If it's fire, I'll keep a clone and get started on my own IBL. Once the Molokai Frost OP is done I'll pick another landrace and do the same thing. Eventually I should have tester moms of 3-4 strains in flower continually, and even with low plant counts, eventually I will find her.

This is me, and I'm looking forward to being part of this community!
Hey @Rasterman hope you are well my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
I think it was the just better times , so when we got high back then it just felt better.
You don't need to pheno hunt you need a time machine. :rofl:
But your on to something with the 8 track example.
It's just never going to be the same. :oops:
Show us your garden Amigo.:thumb:

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Hey @Rasterman hope you are well my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
I think it was the just better times , so when we got high back then it just felt better.
You don't need to pheno hunt you need a time machine. :rofl:
But your on to something with the 8 track example.
It's just never going to be the same. :oops:
Show us your garden Amigo.:thumb:

Bill
No question - everything was better back then. I hope to tell you in six months that I have discovered my holy grail. Anyway, I'll keep looking regardless.

I have grow logs in two other places but will start up a log here before long - as soon as I have a new project...

everyone over 30 has the same story. everyone who tries weed today will have the same story 30 yrs from now.

there's actual medical reasons for it, all related to tolerance. once you've acquired a latent amount collected in your fat cells it changes how you react to thc and other cannibinoids. it's a permanent change, meaning you can abstain for months, or even years, but you will never attain quite the same experience. it's a one way street.

most strains today are far more potent than the what was around in the 60's / 70's / 80's. even common strains. you can still access land race strains, if you want authentic, they will be as close as you can get. concentrate on those.

everyone over 30 has the same story. everyone who tries weed today will have the same story 30 yrs from now.

there's actual medical reasons for it, all related to tolerance. once you've acquired a latent amount collected in your fat cells it changes how you react to thc and other cannibinoids. it's a permanent change, meaning you can abstain for months, or even years, but you will never attain quite the same experience. it's a one way street.

most strains today are far more potent than the what was around in the 60's / 70's / 80's. even common strains. you can still access land race strains, if you want authentic, they will be as close as you can get. concentrate on those.
Yep - I remember smoking WW (or was it NL...) for the first time in Amsterdam in the 80's and it totally floored me
Once you get over the stage of just getting monged for the hell of it, you start on the road to becoming a connoisseur, and most likely a grower lol

btw : "sensimilla" is simply spanish ( maybe portuguese ? ) for 'without seed'. all our feminized strains are sensimilla.

it was a big thing in the late 70's through mid 80's and started with regs.

growers realized they could separate the males, and bring harvests to finish with no seed. the product was higher value, got more cash in the market, and stopped folk from growing their own bag seed. cs and sts gained traction in the 80's leading to todays fem seeds.

Yep - I remember smoking WW (or was it NL...) for the first time in Amsterdam in the 80's and it totally floored me
Once you get over the stage of just getting monged for the hell of it, you start on the road to becoming a connoisseur, and most likely a grower lol

i spent some time in amsterdam in the 90's. the bud tenders were floored that i knew the strain names and couldn't believe my tolerance levels. we had way more potent weed in canada than anything i've ever encountered there in the cafes.

i spent some time in amsterdam in the 90's. the bud tenders were floored that i knew the strain names and couldn't believe my tolerance levels. we had way more potent weed in canada than anything i've ever encountered there in the cafes.
Well you folk smoke neat weed so I'm not surprised your tolerance is through the roof
A bong and a 50/50 bullet does for me - I don't really want a tolerance lol :hookah:

No question - everything was better back then. I hope to tell you in six months that I have discovered my holy grail. Anyway, I'll keep looking regardless.

I have grow logs in two other places but will start up a log here before long - as soon as I have a new project...
I spent years searching out my genetics.
Ended up with girls from Holland.
Terrific girls stable and huge.
Ran six strains two flower rooms and a harvest every 4 weeks.
Was an absolute ball.:woohoo:
Hopefully you enjoy your time here my friend.

Bill

I spent years searching out my genetics.
Ended up with girls from Holland.
Terrific girls stable and huge.
Ran six strains two flower rooms and a harvest every 4 weeks.

hey bill :thanks:

that's a good tip. there are also some cdn bc based suppliers that have some insanely good genetics happening. i'm probably grabbing some there next. they are pricier than most of the offerings on the board, but if you are looking i'd suggest having a peek at those.

hey bill :thanks:

that's a good tip. there are also some cdn bc based suppliers that have some insanely good genetics happening. i'm probably grabbing some there next. they are pricier than most of the offerings on the board, but if you are looking i'd suggest having a peek at those.
They were expensive for sure.
For just a plant to smoke it wouldn't have been worth it.
But to find the right genetics is worth a fortune.
I grew hundreds of them.
Think about the marginal increase or decrease over time that's a huge benefit or massive loss.
I don't know if they are a sponsor anymore so I don't want to say the company :Namaste:

Bill

@Rasterman

Welcome to 420 :welcome:

I grew up in the Bay Area and know your story very well. We had the advantage of getting the "best" whenever it hit town. I grew from the seventies to the nineties and didn't start again until a year ago. Quite a change with all of the hybrids.

What works well is a custom blend. You can check the genetics online.
I blend two parts Jack Herer, two parts Super Silver Haze, two parts Panama (100% Sativa), one part Jack Herer kief, one part Super Silver Haze kief, and one part Panama kief. Put in a container and make sure it is "shaken, not stirred" so the kief can coat the bud evenly.

I agree with Bill. Our bodies just acclimated to the THC but thanks to the great members @420magazine , I should be getting the best yield ever. Bill here has been my superman.
Welcome bro, enjoy your grow!

Back
Top Bottom