Lucky's First Home Grown Bag Seed

Re: Lucky's first home grown bagseed

4 of my CFL's are about 2-3 in, the other 2 are about a ft away.

The heat damage you see happened last night when 2 CFL's tipped over and was pretty much right on half the plant.

Everything I've read says not to water everyday and to only water when the pot feels like it did when it was empty. I do this by having another pot with just potting soil in it. Granted I don't know anything about coco so maybe it's different.

luckiestman13 said:
Everything I've read says not to water everyday and to only water when the pot feels like it did when it was empty. I do this by having another pot with just potting soil in it. Granted I don't know anything about coco so maybe it's different.

Coco is much different. And much better in my opinion. It doesn't have the nutes like soil, but it's very forgiving. Very hard to overwater, and provides the roots with plenty of air

What should I do with the burned leaves? Just wait till they fall off?

Any hints as to why it's growing so slow? More fert? More water? The light schedule is a mess bc its not on a timer but it gets about 20 hrs light per day sometimes more.

Yeah this plant is growing slow! I don't have the exact date but I put it in the ground about 3 weeks old. I'm not over watering. I've been watering once every 7-8 days with about 10% run-off. I've fed the plant twice with 20-20-20 fert. Once at 1/4 strength then once at 3/4 strength.

What could be causing it such slow growth?

Dude, did I read this correctly? Every 7-8 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My God, I'm surprised the plant is still alive! When you have a seedling, you need to water it every day. You should have a small pot with good drainage. Don't let it dry out completely, but don't drown it either. I'm not sure about coco, but try to make sure the soil is always moist. I water my flowering plants almost EVERY day. These critters use a lot of water when they're healthy. As 420Farmer said, you should be able to walk in each day and say, "Whoa, that's grown a lot." In the vegetative state, my plants almost doubled in size each week.

If the leaves start to droop, you're overwatering. What I would do to set things back on the right course is to flush the plant with lots of runoff (by the way, if you use tap water, let it stand for al least 24 hours to get rid of the excess chlorine. I keeps 4 half gallon jugs filled with water and rotate them), then fertilize with 3/4 strength fertilizer AND Blackstrap Molasses. Molasses provides some sugars to promote growth as well as lots of trace minerals. You can pick some up at larger grocers or health food stores. Only costs about $6.00 a bottle. Under no circumstances should you buy any molasses with sulphur in it. If you're desperate, get unsulphured plain molasses. Add about 1 tsp per gallon with your fertilizer. Also try 24 hours of light per day, i.e., don't shut the CFL's off at all. It won't hurt the plant to get 24 hours of light a day, and in her sorry state, she needs all the help she can get.

well darn but this is exactly why I thought it would be a good idea to use this bag seed so I can learn from the mistakes that are bound to happen. If it turns out great then that'll be awesome.

ggrant
Yes I've only been watering about one time per week. I use bottled water. I watered a little today. And will definitely start watering much more often!

420 Farmer
I did buy a timer today but you think I should just leave it 24-0? I've read that 16-8 was optimum for producing females. Jorge Cervantes said this.

I also picked up another light today. A 65 watt 4500k bulb. They didn't carry it in 6500k. So now I'm running 4 26w 6500k and 1 65w 4500k. I also picked up some hinges so I can finnish the door of my cabinet.

photo-291.JPG

Hey Lucky,

She's looking better already!

I did buy a timer today but you think I should just leave it 24-0? I've read that 16-8 was optimum for producing females. Jorge Cervantes said this.

??????? What ???????

If you stay out in the sun too long, are you going to change your sex? This is pure bullshit!!!

Perhaps what Jorge Cervantes (didn't he write "Don Quijote?") meant is that if you stress a female plant, it could go hermaphrodite and turn into a male. This is not the Victorian Age where people believed that if you ate lots of sausages, you'll have a male baby and if you ate lots of doughnuts, you'll have a girl. The sex is already determined and only a significant amount of stress would cause a female seed to turn into a male.

And believe me, these babies love the light. I have a timer in my grow room, but when I was vegging my current crop, I didn't use a timer, i.e., I had the light on 24 hours a day.

Here's what my plants looked like after three weeks:

Three Week Old Girls

Menagerie.jpg

Sorry if this sounds harsh, Lucky. I'm not trying to rag on you or make you feel bad, I just want you to see what you can accomplish with the right technique. By the way, these are sativa-dominant plants, so they tend to grow fast and large.

I picked this up tonight at the grocery

photo-30.JPG

Has anyone had luck with this brand? It is unsulphured though but it's all they had.

1 tsp per gallon, but how much and how often?

Also how often should I be using fertilizer (20-20-20)

Hey Lucky,

Blackstrap Molasses - "Excellent," he says, rubbing his hands together like Mr. Burns.

Mix the molasses in with the nutes when you fertilize them. I fertilized my babies about every 5 - 7 days and watered them every day until I put them in larger pots.

In my current crop, the last fert was 8 days from the previous. This was not intentional - I didn't want to fertilize them until I had pruned a bunch of leaves. I had been fertilizing them on about a 5 day schedule. If your room is warm enough and the humidity low enough, you should find that you need to water your plant every day.

If you haven't ferted your plant recently, add the molasses to the nutes and do so now. If you have, just add the molasses the next time you water and then with the nutes thereafter. I think you'll see a big difference. You don't have to be so careful with the molasses as with the nutes. A slight excess shouldn't cause any nutrient problems (quite the opposite, as blackstrap molasses has many trace minerals). I remember reading a jounal where one grower said he used 3 tablespoons (not teaspoons!) per gallon in the last stages of flowering.

Have you given any more thought to a 24 hour cycle?

Another reason 18/6 is so popular is cost. If your plants are growing well, especially in the later days of vegetation, there is probably no need to use a 24 hour light cycle; 18/6 is fine and some say that going to 24/0 won't increase growth any further. However, for seedlings, 24/0 makes a big difference. I use 24/0 for at least the first two weeks, and sometimes into the third week. I've NEVER had a seed go hermie on me. I mostly use feminized seeds, but I've also used some unknown sex seeds. Maybe I'm just lucky, but every unknown sex seed turned out to be female, so if 24/0 could lead to hermaphroditism, I think one of those seeds would have turned male. Enough said.

Keep posting pics. It'd be nice to see how your girl develops.

P.S. I was being facetious about Jorge writing "Don Quixote." It was Miguel de Cervantes who wrote that. However, I did not know who Jorge Cervantes was. Thanks for pointing that out.

LOL the Mr. Burns thing was great! Yup and I did get your joke about "Don Quixote".

I fed her fert on Friday so I'll just I'll mix up some molasses tomw and give her a little when I water and I'll feed again on Friday. I almost want to post pics again she is really loving the extra light and more water. And yes I'll leave the lights on 24-0!

Lots of new growth where the leaves got burnt. How does she looks this morning? I think a little droopy? The stalk has really stiffened up too.

photo-311.JPG

The more it grows I the more it's looking like a sativa to me. Anyone care to comment?

Peace and Green,

Lucky

Starting to think about ordering seeds. There are so many to choose from. I kind of like the idea of growing a classic, shorter, faster flowering (relative to sativas) plant. But with all the new strains coming out do they have superior genetics? Better yield, higher thc?

I'm open to any suggestions.

luckiestman13 said:
Starting to think about ordering seeds. There are so many to choose from. I kind of like the idea of growing a classic, shorter, faster flowering (relative to sativas) plant. But with all the new strains coming out do they have superior genetics? Better yield, higher thc?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Attitude seed bank. Never had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom