Max's First Grow - Soil - LED - Painkiller XL

Sorry to hear about the break in and the awkward position it put you in. Nothing quiet like being the victim and being in fear of punishment by the law.

As for your question about the SCROG and what size you should make. Granted I have only grown one SCROG but I did it with minor success and was able to make a few conclusions from my adventure. My squares were 2 1/2 inches square and my screen itself was 4 feet by 3 feet.
What I did no like about the big size and having 2 plants under the same SCROG was this, it made flushing darn near impossible, while some branches tucked under very easily, certain areas of the SCROG filled in quicker then others which created issues for canopy height. Next go around I am thinking each plant should have it's own scrog and it should be fixed to the pot so everything can be mobile. 2 1/2" actually was to large, 2 inches would work better. The whole object of the scrog is to get the branches to grow parallel with the floor. 2 1/2 inches was just a smidgen to large of an opening and once a branch entered a square it had to be almost 3 inches of growth before I was able to tuck it back under.
The other thing I would do differently is instead of using one continuous string to weave back and forth to make the SCROG I believe it would be better to use individual strings for each run across the screen. The reason behind this train of thought is this. Once the stretching is over with and the majority of growth moves to the buds, you can then remove every other string and have 4x4 openings as opposed to 2x2 opening. This will make daily maintenance easier, plus heaven forbid, you get spider mites early on in the flowering stage like I did it will make it easier to get access to all the leaves easier.

I do believe that SCROGs are very useful and do help a ton for final yield and quality of yield, but what I find difficult to deal with, you may find to be a non-issue.

Thanks OG,

Your message didn't pop up at first. Good explanation about SCRoG spacing +rep for that. I have a feeling, rightly or wrongly, that spider mites won't be too much of an issue. It's winter here, I don't have house plants, I don't go gardening outdoors and don't have pets. I'm still looking at how to deal with them just in case but I'm hopeful this grow won't suffer.

I like the idea of alternate strings to allow 4 x 4" openings. Nobody else has mentioned this approach but, prepare for an ego massage, I like the outcome of your grow, spider mite breeding programme aside. You put some thought into it and experimented. I'll gladly guinea pig the alternate strings to alter spacing SCRoG.

I don't feel too worried about the police, they really were being nice. I'm thinking to put some chillies in the tent because I then have a flimsy reason to not have the tent confiscated.. "Hey! I have it to grow chillies but kinda branched out for personal meds officer. Honest", but yes, going from victim to perp in one foul swoop isn't comforting.

One thing I've glossed over in my mind is this flushing lark. I'm hoping I won't have to do much of that if I don't keep messing about with nutrients and additives (LOS looks interesting for future grows). I really do want to do a minimal nute regime. Is it nothing but wishful thinking to believe I won't have to flush much (if at all)?

As ever, I appreciate the advice.

I would use some form of ferts. Fox Farm makes a nice group of three that work nice. GB/BB/TB. AN has PH buffered ferts that work great. I use the three liquids and three salts. Just water will stress your plants in flower. Look into a few and see what you can get in your area.

800w HPS 1st grow. Millertm's - Girl Scout/Cinex - Grow Journal - 4'x4'x6.8' Tent - 2015

Hi MT,

I do have some Old Timer Bloom and seaweed extract (all organic for what it's worth) and I did plan on using some in the flower phase, but maybe not full strength. The soil is Canna Terra, which I'm lead to believe will have plenty of food for the girls for the first 4 weeks. I hope with a drop of seaweed extract this will hold true. To bump up an order and qualify for free delivery I think I put some Old Timer Grow in the basket. Again I'd like to do it minimally.

This grow will be a learning curve and I do feel there may be excessive use of nutrients in a lot of the grows I've read. Everyone can say "told you so" when I get a low yield, but I really want to satisfy myself that lots of nutes are required before going down that road. At the end of the day these are weeds that grow with sunshine, water and dirt. I fully understand we are optimising those conditions though and lots of nutes may be required.

Day 11

My babies are thriving at the moment and haven't been greatly upset by their visit from the police - I've just checked and taken pictures.

XL#1 in all her glory. Notice the very dry soil. XL#2 has shuffled off the mortal coil. XL#3 is under the dome. BB#1 is the smaller of the two exposed plants

IMG_39796.JPG

Here's a top view

IMG_39828.JPG

I must say I'm happy with progress so far and even the demise of XL#2 has provided a valuable lesson.

Thinking of over watering; All apart from the domed seedling had a watering with a slash of seaweed extract just after taking these pictures. I'm letting them dry out quite a lot before watering again. XL#3's pot is quite heavy... I stupidly just let it dry out a bit after XL#2's demise and put XL#3 in the same point. I think it was saturated first time around. It's certainly the heaviest pot.

Going great, I'll never say told you so. I started off with the tree liquids and added the salts when I got comfortable using Fox Farm and my PH was stable during the whole feeding schedule. Have fun with this grow. It's a hoot to fo this and make it to harvest. One thing about mites, learn to look for there damage. I hope you are right about not getting them because they are tough little bugs. SCROG and SOG are for advanced growers who know how to handle bugs and whatever come their way. You and I still have much to learn and a net or screen makes moving your plants impossible if you need to move them. Moreover, if you are not using ferts, plants might not make it through bloom if SCROG'ED. I'm seeing major issues with my 4 plants after flushing last two weeks (just H2O). I do not think my plants could have made it this long with just water.

800w HPS 1st grow. Millertm's - Girl Scout/Cinex - Grow Journal - 4'x4'x6.8' Tent - 2015

Hi MT,

I do have some Old Timer Bloom and seaweed extract (all organic for what it's worth) and I did plan on using some in the flower phase, but maybe not full strength. The soil is Canna Terra, which I'm lead to believe will have plenty of food for the girls for the first 4 weeks. I hope with a drop of seaweed extract this will hold true. To bump up an order and qualify for free delivery I think I put some Old Timer Grow in the basket. Again I'd like to do it minimally.

This grow will be a learning curve and I do feel there may be excessive use of nutrients in a lot of the grows I've read. Everyone can say "told you so" when I get a low yield, but I really want to satisfy myself that lots of nutes are required before going down that road. At the end of the day these are weeds that grow with sunshine, water and dirt. I fully understand we are optimising those conditions though and lots of nutes may be required.

Hi Max. Nice forum. You sound like Gnarly Green. Lol. Which is great. He basically said they are a weed. Just need Sunshine, air, dirt, and water. No one goes out into the wild and gives them nutes. The company wants you to buy all the different nutes your plant's just have to have according to them... :) of course with Leds you need more cal/mag........ Seems to be working on mine now since I have been putting more in my water.

Hi MT,

Thanks again. It would be foolish of me to disregard advice from people who's results speak for themselves. I'm not wedded to a zero nute regime so I'll keep comparing the size of mine to the size of others at a similar stage and throw some extra feed into the mix if my babies start looking stunted.

I'm with you on the SRCoG thing - maybe I should just LST on the first grow. I think part of my desire to go SCRoG was down to the fact I like making things and building a net with wood, metal and string would satisfy my inner macho man. I had some ideas how I'd like to tackle this grow but I am completely flexible - I think too much and keep mulling different ideas over. It's great getting your advice on things as the grow progresses.

I'm going to do some cogitating, ruminating, masticating information & ideas now and generally doing things ending in 'ating'. Bear with me...

So, CO2. Talking to plants is a good thing because we exhale CO2 and plants inhale CO2 - we are designed to live in harmony with plants. This set me to thinking how to raise CO2 in a useful and natural way during those many hours I'm not chatting the girls up. Who doesn't like beer or wine? I asked myself. Sooo... if I found a yeast strain that's happy at 25 degrees C (I think that's about 80 degrees in American money) and brewed some wine or beer, I could have some home brew whilst at the same time producing extra CO2 for my babies.

Someone else *must* have thought along similar lines. Is this a sound idea or am I persisting against the wind?

Ponderingly

Cheers Catfish and welcome to my meandering musings, with the occasional incorrectly orientated picture thrown in. I am in awe of all the grows by people subscribed to my little journalette. Reading them has entertained me almost as much as actually growing my own.
Well if you will quit standing on your head to take those pictures..... Sometimes I have to put the pictures on my computer and use the picture app to rotate the pics correctly then save it and then upload them to the forum.

Hi Catfish,

Doesn't everyone balance on their head to take pictures? Standing upright is soooo yesteryear.

I have spun the pictures every which way on the computer before uploading but to no avail. I'm starting to think one factor in 420 Mag's random picture alignment routine, along with sacrificing a chicken whilst walking widdershins backwards, is the aspect ratio. I will crack this in the end!

On the topic of random 420 behaviour - I have to put a single letter in the quick search box on the main screens to force a failed search, then I tick all the boxes on full search screen and put the actual search criteria in. I'm obviously doing something wrong because I simply can't get the quick search box to work its magic. Random picture orientation and a none functional quick search are endearing foibles of a wonderful site.

Back
Top Bottom