MeatPuppet's First Time LED Mostly Organic Soil Grow Journal - 2017 Blue Dream, Limo

MeatPuppet

---A Little about Me---

This is my first time growing cannabis, I have been gardening for about a decade mostly in containers with somewhat organic soils. I don't have any land just porch space (hence the containers) and I am always looking for new species to grow. Last year was Bananas and Artichokes this year is Strawberries and, since I found out it was recently decriminalized in my area, Cannabis. I chose organic-ish soil because it is what I have experience with and I had a lot of supplies already. I do find myself straying off the organic path from time to time. I am still learning a lot about growing by trial and error as well as finding my style and figuring out what works for me.

---Strain details---

(2) Blue Dream feminized from Humbolt seeds, Variety: "Mostly Sativa", Flowering Length: "9 weeks"
(1) Limonchello Haze feminized from AMS, Variety: "Indica 30% Sativa 70% ", Flowering Length: "9-10 weeks"
(1) White Widow feminized freebie from Canuk Seeds, Variety: "Mostly Sativa", Flowering Length: "7-8 weeks"

---Soil Details---

Started with 3 cubic feet of FoxFarm Ocean Forest and 1.5 cubic feet of FoxFarm Happy Frog. I selected this mix because the ocean forest starts me out with a solid, well fertilized organic soil but I heard it could run a little hot so I cut it with Happy Frog which has the bonus of being inoculated with the bacteria/fungus I hope to foster in my soil.

I then added a dash of the following: Azomite rock powder, Epsom salts, Dolomitic lime, powdered Mycorrhizal fungi, plus a hearty scoop of Diatomaceous earth and a bag of perlite.
This mix was watered with a weak solution of molasses and added to the 1 gallon seedling pots.

I then mixed some biochar, fish bone meal, greensand, and kelp meal into the remaining soil which will be used to fill out the 3 gallon smart pots when I transplant. This transplant soil is currently sitting in an open container outdoors. It is stirred occasionally and watered with a weak solution of molasses.

My water is 8 ph city water with both chlorine and chloramine. I have been using distilled vinegar to correct to 6.5 ph and a freshwater aquarium water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine.

---Germination Results---

All seeds started were germinated, soaked for 8 hours in a glass of tap water then planted into 1 gal pots

---Veg Plan---

Transplant to 3 gallon smart pots when ready

Establish 4 manifold / mainline colas on each plant

Go to a 12/12 light cycle to initiate flowering

---Fertilizer/Supplement Plan---

I hope to not require any fertilizer/supplements but I am prepared to use them especially in flower phase. I do not plan to let the plants get very large in veg so I am thinking that the FoxFarm Ocean Forest in the soil can get me at least to flower. I do have some 2-2-2 organic liquid fertilizer on hand and a liter of FoxFarm Big Bloom (pretty weak stuff according to NPK ratios on bottle, might add it regardless). I also have several of organic soil amendments at my disposal to use in teas, foliar feeds, etc. With the guidance of the forum I am optimistic that I will be able to put it all together towards some semblance of success

---Setup---

Enclosure — I've got an odd room off of my closet that is 2 foot by 5 foot and 7 foot tall. I can only enter on one side and the entrance is 2 foot wide by 7 feet tall with the space extending 5 feet. I have fabricated a partition with a fairly large door to close off the entrance and made it light/air tight.

Lighting — Single 600w full spectrum LED array originally purchased to keep my bananas growing during winter, may upgrade at some point as the bananas will need their light back before the grow is finished!

Ventilation — The space is only open on one side so the passive intake is at the bottom and the exhaust is at the top. I have arranged ducting in such a way that the intake air enters far away from the closet and exits the intake tube far inside the room. The exhaust is pulled from the top of the entrance to the space. Regardless, I have started to see up to 10 degree F temperature differentials which normally isn't a problem except for when the house gets 85 F (no A/C). This should only be an issue for another month or so. Relative humidity stays around 50%

setup89.jpg

---Current Plant Status---

Blue Dream and White Widow seedlings are about a week old, Limonchello Haze seedling just broke soil. All in ~1 gal soil containers.

One of the Blue Dreams:

bd150.jpg

The White Widow is looking odd, looks like only one leaf I coming out at a time since first true leaf:

ww189.jpg

---Issues for feedback---

Is the lighting sized appropriately for space/ number of plants?

What do we think of my soil mix? It is not too late to add some things to the soil I will use in the 3 gallon smart pots.

Not sure when transplant should occur with regards to manifolding / mainlining, was planning on letting root growth determine transplant time like I usually do.

Has anyone seen this issue with the white widow seedling before? Looks like it is only generating growth on one side. Possibly a genetic issue or was damaged pre-sprout? I may replace it with another Limoncello Haze, however, 3 plants might be better in my setup if it does die. Will keep it going for the time being.

Re: MeatPuppet's First Time LED Mostly Organic Soil Grow Journal - 2017 Blue Dream, L

I got Limo haze seeds from AMS as well. 4/5 Seed are damn near perfect coming into early veg. The one limo thats struggling looks a lot like your widow. Im using promix HPCC with 20% Perlite, 20% earthworm castings. They are coming along great, as long as i don't stress them with Nitrogen again. The haze is pretty sensitive to nutes, so I've backed off to just using water! How are yours doing currently? i hope you got em growing good!!!

Re: MeatPuppet's First Time LED Mostly Organic Soil Grow Journal - 2017 Blue Dream, L

Hi there, the limo haze is doing very well. No signs of stress, currently in day 22 of flower. I will post some details in a bit but first i am going to go through a couple of stages of updates to show progress steps and what i have been up to.

I am going to go through a couple of updates using a few of the photo's i have take on my grow. Progress has been better than expected.

Day 21 Veg

8_16_v20_blue_whale_1_cut.jpg

Here we have the larger of my 2 Blue Dreams, already in smart pot. She has just had her first chop taken at the 3rd node. I have decided to keep all fan leaves on and i had been removing new growth suckers that i do not plan on growing out as they get large enough for me to get in there and chop.

8_17_whitey_side.jpg

The white widow has not been progressing at the same rate as the others and has some deformities, it took until node 4 to have bilateral suckers.

8_17_v12L_room_1st_cut.jpg

This is how my room is looking with Limocello in the front grow bag, the Blue Dream to the right of the Limoncello was dropped right before the photo was taken, very little damage done to the roots but it allowed the Blue Dream in the bag to grow at a better rate. If you look closely at the Blue Dream in the grow bag you will see the results of a disagreement i had with one of my kitties regarding removal of fan leaves.

Day 36 Veg

9_1_v36_kitty_c_blueboi.jpg

9_1_kitty_a.jpg

Here we have the Blue Dream that was dropped receiving final cut to produce a total of 4 cola's, will let the cola's veg out a little before switching to 12's. I have decided to try air pots on some of the plants and, at the end of the grow, I will have a root autopsy comparing the blue dream that was in air pot with the blue dream that was in the fabric smart pot. P.S. The kitty we see here is not the leaf muncher, I am not sure why she got in this photo as she shows nothing but hatred and disdain towards me.

9_1_v36_whitey.jpg

The mutant white widow made it to second cut, now in an air pot, shall see how it grows out.

9_1_v27L_room.jpg

Here is what the grow room is looking like, dropped air pot blue dream in front, smart pot blue dream on left, air pot white widow on right, smart pot lemocello in the rear. The Lemoncello was sprouted a few days after the BD's/WW but has had a slower growth rate and has yet to undergo 2nd cut.

Day 23 of flower

So I have switched to flower, i let the Lemoncello veg for an extra week so it could catch up in size but it is still a little behind

9_29_f23_blues.jpg

Here are the 2 blue dreams in the grow space, pretty close in size.

9_29_f23_whitey_f16_lemon.jpg

Here is the white widow in an air pot next to the limoncello in a smart pot catching some rays. The lemoncello has the strongest smell coming off of it.

Day 29 Flower

10_5_f22_lemon.jpg

10_5_f22_lemon_under.jpg

Another update, not too much progress since last time but want to show the Limoncello and the manifold/mainline structure. The Lemoncello is actually in day 22 of flower since it went in a week after the other plants. Still smells much stronger than the others. As you can see the plant has a yellow leaf or two. They are at the very bottom of the plant and i believe are indicative of natural aging rather than poor health or over/under fertilization.

10_5_f29room.jpg

Here is the grow space, things are a little tight in here. The blue dreams are to the left and to the rear with the much improved white widow to the right.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom