Mendocino Skunky Garlic Auto-Flower 2023

024backwards

Hey 420,

It’s good to be back. I thought I would be off the board for the summer, but things have changed and suddenly I have a small window of time to slip in a grow (that’s called making lemonade out of lemons 😊). I’m going to try an auto-flower for the first time. I have to admit to an initial lack of respect for the auto variety, but this opportunity gave me a chance to do some research and it didn’t take long to realize that I’d made a rather hasty decision. Some of the new(er) AF’s are so super-charged now, it’s hard not to get a little excited about true top-shelf bud in 80 days.

So, after a few long nights trolling the web looking for something “special”, I decided to take a calculated risk on a Twenty20 Mendocino Skunky Garlic (MSG) Auto Flower. I couldn’t find out much about her but I’ve heard about Twenty20 Mendocino. They are an American breeder based in California and have been on the grow scene for a while now, a testament to their ability to innovate, adapt, and breed forensic level swag in this rapidly changing space. My buddy swears by them and if I’m totally honest, after all the research, I buy most stuff like I order from a menu anyway, based on photo’s that catch my eye, and this girl really has my attention. I can’t wait to get her in the soil!

Here’s a little more about MSG from the breeder (MSG (Mendocino Skunky Garlic) - Twenty20 Mendocino)

msg.png
1. Type (Indica/Sativa): Feminized auto-flower, Indica dominant)
2. Lineage/Origins: Biscotti, Sour StrawburieD
3. Filial Generation: F4
4. PVI (Phenotypic Variation Index) Below average
5. First sign of flower in days: 25
6. Total life cycle in days: 78-85 days
7. Height: above average
8. Yield Index (per sf): above average to high
9. Color: most phenotypes fade to purple
10. Aroma/Nose: Garlic, sulfur green onions, savory and fumy
11. Effects: TKO, super potent and narcotic
12. Notes: The smell and flavor on these beasts is really out of this world. After handling her your fingers smell like you have been cutting fresh garlic. The buds grow fast, huge, and dense!

p1.jpeg

p2.jpeg

p3.jpeg

Grow Type: Indoor basement, soil grow

Grow Space: Spyder Farmer Grow Tent: 2.2'x2.2'x 5'2”

Containers, Soil, and Amendments: I am (still) stuck in the dirt and not ready to dive into a SIP just yet. I will start her in a 4” peat pot and then up-pot to a 5G fabric pot around day 20. Maybe I’m missing an opportunity, but I love the little peat pots, especially for an auto. Just drop them in the larger pot when ready, no transplant required, the risk of shock avoided, and she seems to push through the peat w/o issue.

4” Peat Pot Soil Recipe

Blend 50/50 mix of FoxFarm Happy Frog + Jiffy Seed Organic Starter Mix = Base

Blend 65/35 mix of Base + Perlite + Geo Flora Veg + Great White Myco

5G Fab Pot Soil Recipe

Blend 65/35 mix of FoxFarm Happy Frog + Perlite + Geo Flora Veg + Great White Myco + Worm Castings + Powdered Dolomite Lime

Nutrients: I’ve been using a subset of the FoxFarm nutrient line since my first grow and have had good success. No changes for this grow other than I may add Flowers Kiss to the feeding regiment. Standard chems include Big Bloom, Grow Big, Open Sesame, Tiger Bloom, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching, all of which I will talk more about as we move along.

Other Stuff in the Water: FoxFarm CalMag, Silica, Mr. Fulvic, BioAG Ful-Power

Organics: Banana Tea, Molasses, Worm Cast Tea (maybe, not sure she will need all this stuff)

Lighting: I have been running the Spyder Farmer SF1000, a cool, inexpensive LED that has produced some nice bud over multiple grows. However, it was time to upgrade and after much research I landed on the Vivosun VS1500. I know it’s not fair to compare them, they aren’t in the same class, but the VS1500 (more than) doubles the PAR coverage of the SF1000 around the perimeter in particular, exceeding what I gather is an accepted minimum requirement of 700-1000 umol/m2/sec of light during flower, while providing extreme horsepower in the sweet spot of the tent. The bushy indica that benefits from deeper light penetration or the genetically altered freak that requires planet Mercury-level light exposure to achieve true potential are going to flourish under this light. I can’t wait to get it dialed up on little MSG, in my 2x2 tent she’s going to scream for the aloe!

VIVOSUN VS1500 LED Grow Light with Samsung LM301 Diodes & Daisy Chain Driver Dimmable Lights Sunlike Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Seedling Veg and Bloom Plant Grow Lamps for 3x3 Grow Tent

Spyder Farmer SF1000 LEDVivosun VS1500 LED
Spectrum660nm,3000K,5000K, IR760nm660nm,3000K,5000K, IR730nm
Veg Footprint3x33x3
Flower Footprint2x22x2
Watts100W150W
Yield2.5g/w
Output2.7umol/J2.8umol/J
PPFD1033umol/m2/s @ 12"1443umol/m2/s @ 12"
UVB?NoNo
IR/Far Red?YesYes
Life50,000 Hrs54,000
Cost$100$179.99

PPFD Maps

Spyder Farmer SF1000Vivosun VS1500
spyder.png
vivo.png

v2.jpeg

v3.jpeg

Techniques: Topping, LST, Droughting

I am going to top her as soon as the 5th node appears and then sexta-line (?) her, a quad line plus the 3rd node? I saw vetsmoke do something like this with an auto, one can aspire (see below)!

vetsmoke.png

Mother Nature: Water: Kroger distilled, brought to PH, EC and temp, shaken not stirred (PH ~8.0, EC <0.6). Air: 4” Inline fan and RC412 Australian carbon filter from Spyder Farmer (came with the tent) to draw air through the system

Fire Safety: I have the SereneLife Flamebuster fireball anchored to a steel grate on the outside roof of the tent (so it won’t fall to the floor in the event of fire).

Alright, enough bluster, lets grow! I’ll be back with a “conception” post shortly. I hope you don’t mind that I “at’d a few of you, I just can’t grow w/o my support team 😊.

Hey Folks,

I dropped a single MSG stone into 75d DI water for ~19 hours, then moved it to a wetted paper towel on a plate and VIVOSUN heating pad to sprout. I walked away all happy with myself and forgot to re-wet the towel before bed and it was dried up this am! I re-wet but she may not sprout. Preparing to drop another one tomorrow if she doesn’t pop by then. Bad start 024!

05504906-8D53-4E65-9936-7C174DD13E56.jpeg

CCE9CD1D-9DB1-4FA0-AA49-EAAC60EE017E.jpeg

Fumbling around over here like a high-schooler at my first prom. I dropped another bean this morning as mentioned earlier and left the one that I thought was cooked in the paper towel on the heating pad and holy smokes the stubborn thing sprouted! I quickly mixed up a batch of soil (see intro for recipe), loaded a 4" peat pot with the mix, soaked the whole thing in PH'd DI water + Fox Farm Big Bloom (ratio of 5ML/G) for 20 minutes, drained her thoroughly, dug a little hole, lined that with Great White Myco, and dropped her in, helmet down. Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep..........

49678CAD-0A07-48C3-8844-AA4690A915C6.jpeg

532A16D6-99C3-497E-AD5C-B5B65401F014.jpeg

485CF8D4-013F-43DD-AB67-6DAB7D9B1E42.jpeg

Do you ever do clones?

My clone game is good. I can teach you… but I’d have to charge lol.
Hey Trala, no but I'd love to learn though. Name your price!

We Have Life!

1681520501017.png

Welcome to my world baby girl, say hello to the 420 crew and the Vivosun1500! I've got her at 78d, 77% RH with the light at 25% and about 2 1/2 feet away. Can we clone her yet Tra? ;)

62DA5666-F231-461F-9ECD-A1F44F2AFAD1.jpeg

Never doubted you for a second!
lol thanks, I'll feel better when she turns up. She's kind of stuck in that partially open sheppards crook position. I dropped the other seed today in the same pot, just in case, but she was fried too. The seed matt is too hot for the paper towel method, dries it out really fast.
C4BA76AC-29ED-4CDE-A2C6-2F4FC481B954.jpeg

She’s so tiny still, maybe slow out of gate. Stretching but only two itty bitty sets of leaves. I turned up the light today to 50% (btw I’m running 20 hours on, 4 hours off) and lowered RH and temp a little (78d, 68%RH). She should catch on in the next couple of days and then it will get fun. Just watering with 5ml big bloom/gallon via a sprayer.

A96AA474-B614-414E-9DD6-681A1C1EEA48.jpeg

E14C625E-ED5C-470D-90D2-105E51951EA2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom