Barney's Mimosa EVO x Orange Punch

024backwards

I've been looking for a good Mimosa EVO x Orange Punch (MEVOOP) journal to guide my grow. I found a really good one from LKA Budman (LKABudMan's Orange Grove - 4 Mimosa x Orange Punch In RDWC - Sponsored By VIVOSUN) but it didn't turn out as well as he had hoped and we never got to see what that strain can really do. The other journals I found included other strains and don't really focus on the MEEVOP, so I thought I'd give it a go and document what I learn along the way. This is my third grow. My first two (Bruce Banner #3 (2021 Indoor, Soil, Bruce Banner #3, Senorita Bruce, Grow Journal) and GrandDaddy Purple) turned out to be very high quality, but low yield. I "think" I have figured that out with help from this board, so with fingers crossed, here......we.......go!

The Setup
I will be growing a Barneys Farm MEEVOP indoors, in soil, and plan to mainline her to produce 8 colas

1. Soil: Happy Frog + Perlite + Dolomite Lime
2. Spyder Farmer Tent 2.2'x2.2'x5'
3. Spyder Farmer T1000 LED
4. Water: Distilled, brought to PH, EC and temp, shaken not stirred
5. Nutes: FoxFarm
6. Carbon Filter and extract fan
7. Humidifier with the silly baby lights (turn those off)
8. Grow Location: Basement and in late fall/winter (temperatures and RH are more easily controllable at this time of year)

10/31/2022 (Halloween) (Day 1)
Dropped 5 Barneys Farm MEEVOP beans in PH balanced DI for 24 hours in darkened, 75d tent. Moved them to paper towels for another 24 hours. All 5 seeds sprouted and were moved to 4" peat pots and soil mix noted above + good dash of Great White Myco in the seed holes, and left in the dark tent on a seed matt/heater and kept damp. On 11/4 (day 5) all 5 seeds had broken ground. Initiated lights on with an 18x6 schedule, 18" away, 25% intensity, 85% RH. Watering with a sprayer to keep damp with 25% dilution of PH balanced DI, Big Bloom and Calmag. Over next 5 days maintained that warm, humid environment and on 11/9, day 10 of life, we have the first true leaves showing. Gave her her first "feed", 25% solution of Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Calmag. This is much earlier than I have ever fed, but she has taken two of these feedings like a champ and w/o negative impact. As of today, 11/15, 16 days of life, I have culled the 5 I started with down to 2 beautiful, 4-node tall, alpha females. The bad news is I have to retire one of them to make room for the other in what amounts to a very small tent space (unless one of you wants a little MEEVOP princess to call your own?). I have a few more days to decide and in the meantime, I am slowly hardening these two (50% light intensity, 70%RH, 78d as I type). I'll take a few pictures tomorrow and then be more current in the posts going forward.

11/16, Day 16 of life, Day 12 Above Ground
They look good after the feed yesterday and are working to push their 4th nodes already. This is my first grow with a heating pad, man what a difference (or maybe its my imagination?). Second to last picture is a baby MEVOOP I culled to make room for the final plant. That hurts, she looked as good as the remaining two, I need a bigger tent! The last photo is my new alarm system. He doubles as pest control.

This coming week I plan to cull down to the final alpha female, complete hardening, up-pot to a 1G fabric pot, and prepare for the first top in the mainline process.

D4D6013C-85C0-4087-B937-47FE93DA2F26.jpeg
89947F9D-A9C5-4CBB-A8C1-555033E28274.jpeg
70EBA389-4B22-4B72-8980-6B3CB85D5894.jpeg
A71A7553-50CA-4420-809C-F6D7B0773866.jpeg
17A008DF-FBCB-40FD-852E-E36E619288F3.jpeg

You had me at Barney’s!

I’ve been trying to grow a successful Mimosa for a year! I have a Mimosa EVO cross seed too, so I’ll be interested how you go.

And OMG your little mong dog and his/her big smile makes me big smile!

You had me at Barney’s!

I’ve been trying to grow a successful Mimosa for a year! I have a Mimosa EVO cross seed too, so I’ll be interested how you go.

And OMG your little mong dog and his/her big smile makes me big smile!
Hey Trala, Thanks for following along! These are my first Barneys seeds and I am really impressed so far. I'd love to here more about your Mimosa grow if you have a link/journal? Yeah, he's a cutie, that picture cracks me up everytime.

Hi :)

If you click that link that says Trala’s Bees it will take you to my journal. I have a few Barney’s on the go.

I’m actually going to uppot my Mimosa today.

I absolutely love @Barney's Farm seeds. They are the ducks nuts. My first Mimosa is a terrible story. Mites and murder. In fact I’m still sad about it.

Hi :)

If you click that link that says Trala’s Bees it will take you to my journal. I have a few Barney’s on the go.

I’m actually going to uppot my Mimosa today.

I absolutely love @Barney's Farm seeds. They are the ducks nuts. My first Mimosa is a terrible story. Mites and murder. In fact I’m still sad about it.
Thanks Trala, I will check it out later this evening. It sounds like I may need to train the dog to sniff out mites ;).

Thanks Trala, I will check it out later this evening. It sounds like I may need to train the dog to sniff out mites ;).
OMG your Mimosa, she looked stunted or dwarfed early on but seems to have come out of it thank goodness and looks much better after you super-cropped her. I'll keep following along, you are a few weeks ahead of me it looks like, so cant wait to learn from you. Your swan floaty had me laughing btw, I dont have a cool backyard/setting like that for my picts (I could set her next to my rusty grill I guess but that doesn't quite compare).

OMG your Mimosa, she looked stunted or dwarfed early on but seems to have come out of it thank goodness and looks much better after you super-cropped her. I'll keep following along, you are a few weeks ahead of me it looks like, so cant wait to learn from you. Your swan floaty had me laughing btw, I dont have a cool backyard/setting like that for my picts (I could set her next to my rusty grill I guess but that doesn't quite compare).
Good morning :)

Yeah she defs had tiny beginnings. The Mimosa plant is one of my absolute favourites. The mimosa I grew before this one was ravished by mites. She went from hot to not. Lol

Quick update....I've been planning to mainline her but cant seem to get her to snap out of this droopy phase. She was doing so well and then I over-watered 3-4 days ago and she's never really recovered from that. She looked pretty good this morning, praying up, so i was thinking "hey, I'll top her tonight", but I just checked and she's all droopy again. Environment looks ok (60%RH, 76D), she's getting good air flow, she doesn't look nute burned or deprived, but she is still wet so I'm hoping that's it and will give her another 24 hours to dry out. I'll post pics one way or the other tomorrow, to boast or ask for help. I dont want to mainline her when she's not well so am postponing that until this is solved.

oooh maybe that is it, its about 12" at 80%. How far away are yours? I just looked at her early am, she looks "ok" but is still a little damp and droopy (I really over-soaked her what a nube). I'll raise the lights today while we celebrate Thanksgiving and see how she looks this evening/wait to here back from you. Thanks!

Sigh.....She's at day 27 of life, day 23 above ground and looks like shit. I bumped the lights up to about 18" above the canopy as you suggested Tra, they were too close, but she is still drooping around this evening after looking ok this am. The lower leaves are limey too and yellowing at the very bottom as you can see in the picts. I'm hoping it just will take a few days to recover from the light stress and I may need to go a little higher up or lower the intensity a bit. I cant think of what else it might be. She's been fed, fairly dry now, temp and RH are normal, I don't see any critters. I did start the mainline process today, probably a mistake when she is not doing well, but i need to move this along and am hoping its the lights and wet cycle so will clear as veg moves along. Let me know what you think team....

FFB7C6EF-CEAB-4F6E-93E7-DC6F3B4C7D52.jpeg

F4312464-5378-4686-BC4A-50B8C3DE7405.jpeg

60FBBBB9-9E6B-4899-8852-A12F4DBD172F.jpeg

How close is your light?

Mine hate he light too close.
Brilliant Tra….she looks a lot better/is perking up and regaining color after a few days at 18” and 75% intensity. I’ve never seen light stress before. My first two grows i nuked at about 10” and 100% and I didn’t notice any side effects but this was weird/looked like a nutrient deficiency. Thanks for your help hope you had fun on your vacation.

Good luck on the grow man. I switched lights in the middle of mine and stunted the buds a little, but still LOVE what I harvested. Everything was coated in trics and smelled fantastic. She is cured up now and smokes incredible. Orange candy with a side of garlic ;) I saved a mother and plan on running her again.

Good luck on the grow man. I switched lights in the middle of mine and stunted the buds a little, but still LOVE what I harvested. Everything was coated in trics and smelled fantastic. She is cured up now and smokes incredible. Orange candy with a side of garlic ;) I saved a mother and plan on running her again.
Thanks LKA, Your journal inspired me to do this one. I was bummed for you when she stunted. That new light looked amazing and the trichs, my goodness, looked like jelly was spread on the buds, ridiculously good. mmmmmm, orange- candy-garlic, how did you know? ;)

How’s she looking?

My plants are always really slow starters. Takes them at least 40 days to show promise.
Hey Tra, she looks a little better, her color is back, but still droopy as heck at times (for example, i mainlined her and i don't need to tie her down or anything, she just droops over into place). I need to feed her today so will take a bunch of picts with a detailed write up later this evening.

Hello Everyone, its day 33 of life/29 above ground for my girl. We are in the middle of the mainline process and I've topped her twice already (meaning she is in very early stages of pushing 4 of the 8 primary colas). Pest Control has been eyeballing those tops in one of the picts below. I will give her a few days to grow those out and then top one final time to produce the 8 mains/colas we are looking for.

This is very forward fricking thinking given her current state. She doesn't seem well and is droopy more often than not (the picts below she actually doesn't look too bad). Her coloring has dramatically improved after I raised the lights (thanks Trala). She's dirty, the white stuff on the leaves is calmag or silca from a sloppy water, she needs a bath. I cleaned and re-calibrated my PH meter today, it was spot on but needed to check. A few other vital's:

1. Feeding 1x/week. Gave her her first full feed today with FoxFarm Grow Big (Nitrogen), cal mag, and Big Bloom (a root healing potion, I dont know wtf it does). PH 6.0, EC 2.6, temp 72d.
2. I introduced silica to the watering schedule (1ml/G)
3. Using typical supplements like calmag and great white myco. Silica may be the only atypical thing in the mix
4. The light is 18" above canopy at 70% intensity now.
5. Temp and RH look ok
6. Up-potted to that gallon fab about a week ago

See how she is flopped over/open? Normally a mainlined plant has to be tied down to enforce that T shaped manifold. She just flopped open and even now no tie downs needed. Something seems wrong…..maybe the grower😎

A18F23DD-63AA-4950-BC2E-70775A7C37CA.jpeg

BBAAC360-473E-419C-B014-479012097FDF.jpeg

FAB3B940-EA20-4D9B-82CA-2F4D8EF0F273.jpeg

4D76051B-06BF-4D93-88F5-9DB5993DE09A.jpeg

A86916F2-2DF7-4507-A9E8-9746E6066EA9.jpeg

F82E3B81-809A-4FA8-8EEE-34D97366D79A.jpeg

Good morning my Mimosa mate :)

First up she looks okay. While she’s not singing, she is defs not disease ridden and dying in the corner lol.

As you saw I had some trouble with my stunted mimosa in those first few weeks. And I’m definitely no expert but… And just remember opinions are like arseholes in the fact everyone has one. Not saying it’s right, this is just my bum freckle input lol.

I grow with a less is best mindset. I’ve never pH’ed in my life lol. I personally wouldn’t be repeatedly topping a plant that is not in good health. I also spend a fair bit of time waiting and watching. A plant has human traits in the fact it wants to live. Most of my problems have righted themselves.

She has good light, good temps, good humidity, good food. I would just leave her for a week or two. And reassess then.

Good morning my Mimosa mate :)

First up she looks okay. While she’s not singing, she is defs not disease ridden and dying in the corner lol.

As you saw I had some trouble with my stunted mimosa in those first few weeks. And I’m definitely no expert but… And just remember opinions are like arseholes in the fact everyone has one. Not saying it’s right, this is just my bum freckle input lol.

I grow with a less is best mindset. I’ve never pH’ed in my life lol. I personally wouldn’t be repeatedly topping a plant that is not in good health. I also spend a fair bit of time waiting and watching. A plant has human traits in the fact it wants to live. Most of my problems have righted themselves.

She has good light, good temps, good humidity, good food. I would just leave her for a week or two. And reassess then.
Thanks, this is great advice which I will take. I am spoiled by the Grandaddy Purple and Bruce Banner we grew, they were both veg machines, very hearty the entire grow, so my expectations are high. You've never PH'd your water before? I was taught that was a "must do" to maximize plant potential, but your plants look awesome so there must be something to it. Not having to PH balance everything would save me about 50 man hours a plant :)

Back
Top Bottom