Mountain Winter Indoor Grow

I'll agree most are easy to sex.. but every now and then i get a funky one. Plus only being my second grow...have you ever seen a male grow white hairs on tops? I have seen 1 hermie last grow...and 1 male so far this grow. And this one ive been looking at is just very strange...white hairs growing ONLY on flowering tops. Ive found a couple pollen sac looking balls that could have been calyxes but im not sure yet; and its shorter, and it didnt show any sex before two other females, now they are obvious female full flower. Hopefully its just some strange acting genetics, but im going with different peoples advice and waiting for more obvious signs until culling. Thanks!
Hey AH, I have never actually seen a hermie but it sounds like that is what you have. From balls in the pics I'd say definitely a male, but if you seeing pistils too, then must be a hermie eh. Are they regular seeds? I'm in NZ, and my brother and I once got a male White Widow from a female order, he chopped it, and later told me and I got him to go to his rubbish heap and fetch it for me, from that I pollinated a female WW and a Gorgonzola from which I got over 400 seeds. Those seeds really saved our bacon the following year when it was really difficult getting seed orders in. If seeds are no problem for you to get then chop it, but otherwise consider using it to make some seeds especially if the genetics are good.

Cannabis plants show their sex by what grows in between their nodes (where leaves and branches extend from the stalk). Pollen sacs will develop on a male plant to spread seeds and stigma will develop on a female to catch pollen. You can see these differences weeks before they actually start serving their purposes in the reproduction cycle. These are known as “pre-flowers.”

Cannabis is easy to sex, watch early development and girls and boys separate early. Cannabis is a dioecious plant, meaning male or female reproductive organs appear on different plants.

1611611512328.png

I also like to use Silver Thiosulphate (TSP) to make one branch of my female plants male and generate pollen to fertilize my plants. I do this in a separate tent, cleaned and sanitized each time. Basically you make a female plant have one part that is male and use that pollen to fertilize your plant making feminized seeds.

I hope this helps!
I'll agree most are easy to sex.. but every now and then i get a funky one. Plus only being my second grow...have you ever seen a male grow white hairs on tops? I have seen 1 hermie last grow...and 1 male so far this grow. And this one ive been looking at is just very strange...white hairs growing ONLY o flowering tops. Ive found a couple pollen sac looking balls that could have been calyxes but im not sure yet; and its shorter, and it didnt show any sex before two other females, now they are obvious female full flower. Hopefully its just some strange acting genetics, but im going with different peoples advice and waiting for more obvious signs. Thanks
Hey AH, I have never actually seen a hermie but it sounds like that is what you have. From balls in the pics I'd say definitely a male, but if you seeing pistils too, then must be a hermie eh. Are they regular seeds? I'm in NZ, and my brother and I once got a male White Widow from a female order, he chopped it, and later told me and I got him to go to his rubbish heap and fetch it for me, from that I pollinated a female WW and a Gorgonzola from which I got over 400 seeds. Those seeds really saved our bacon the following year when it was really difficult getting seed orders in. If seeds are no problem for you to get then chop it, but otherwise consider using it to make some seeds especially if the genetics are good.
Hey Stunger yea this is a weird one for sure, not even as obvious as hermie last summer(ill dig you up a pic). And if it has more balls tommorow then yea cant deny..rn im kinda praying was weird fluke and wake up to more white hairs assuring its a female! lol...but if it does indeed being male..with having only one good light/tent..wouldnt keeping a male make all my girls seed?
PS- dont laugh at how big my hermie got..was literally my 1st plant ever i had gave as gift and grew in closet unti my tent arrived, my dumbass let it stay to close to the new light...burnt her bad..and the result, well...

20200802_135626.jpg

20200802_083158.jpg

20200802_083124.jpg

20200802_083013.jpg

20200802_082947.jpg

20200802_082820.jpg

Hey Stunger yea this is a weird one for sure, not even as obvious as hermie last summer(ill dig you up a pic). And if it has more balls tommorow then yea cant deny..rn im kinda praying was weird fluke and wake up to more white hairs assuring its a female! lol...but if it does indeed being male..with having only one good light/tent..wouldnt keeping a male make all my girls seed?
PS- dont laugh at how big my hermie got..was literally my 1st plany ever i had gave as gift and grew in closet unti my tent arrived, my dumbass let it stay to close to the new light...burnt her bad..and the result, well...
That's a shocker! I thought you'd at least get some buds growing too but that looks like all male. But yeah you're right, no point seeding your other girls when it's easy these days to get feminized seeds. A few years ago here, it wasn't that way and it was good to at least get those regular seeds. Having done it, I can say that even on the pollinated stems there was still some reasonable amount of bud that got harvested, of which seemed to be the same potency as the unpollinated stems. That's pretty much how folk in the old days got their seeds for the next year, they'd pull out most but leave one or two males to grow out with the females in the garden. So yeah, I wouldn't bother unless it happened to be spectacular genetics. Anyway you got some time to go yet where you can observe it for a while.

Day 60

Day 11 of flowering

First thing i done was thoroughly check the shortest seedling for balls lol. Thankfully none and also seems like maybe just a few more white hairs on tops..
Slowly poured 16 oz to each pot, runoff is very high and topdressing is in order, today im going to town to buy some more medium. They are smelling wonderful this morning and cant wait to return from my appointments later and do some low stress training on these ladies..cya in a bit

20210126_070853.jpg

20210126_070639.jpg

Ok so...first i rearrange the tent putting seedlings to door and clones in back for now. Rotated all and performed some lst on the two tallest seedlings; measured and the highest points are about 15 inches from where stalk exits the soil. I want these babies to grow outwards instead of just up so lst daily is crucial..thats about it until i get back with more medium later. Also going to look at some different fans maybe..cya tonight!
Gonna give closeups of each real quick.

20210126_121345.jpg

Breakfast in Paris clone > im super happy how this rescue has turned out and just proves how resilient these plants truly are!
20210126_121334.jpg

Wedding Cake clone > another rescue...was my largest for awhile..if you add up all its branches still has most budlets for sure, for now.. :ganjamon:
20210126_121315.jpg

Breakfast in Paris clone > had this one way longer and blows my mind that both of my Bip clones were cut off same mother! This one ended up with the leftover small pot and is still trying to keep up with others amazingly..but compare them they totally different!
20210126_121253.jpg
Middle sized seedling > truly beautiful looking so far. Second place with no contest!
20210126_121214.jpg

Largest seedling > couldnt ask for better specimen so far!!
20210126_121123.jpg

The shortest seedling > look all those white hairs!! and dont you dare hermy!!! no more balls as of yet but keeping close watch on this one.
20210126_121355.jpg

Day 61

Day 12 of flowering

I was lazy this morning and slept in. All the babies looked awesome when i peeped in, letting them have a little longer until more water as kind of a mid week dryout. Gonna run a few errands and check back later..
Going to topdress the babies with new soil but thinking of "how" i want to go about..the top of the current mediums especially a few are very firm; like water even stands for just a few seconds before eventually sinking in. So im thinking for my topdress to do anything do i need to "rake" it some? And with this mind i worry about damaging roots. Honestly i wish i could somehow get the new soil underneath..but there is definitely no way to do that without damaging roots at this phase..so im kinda stumped. Thoughts?
If your wondering i probably would have accurately planned and had enough if i hadnt taken on the 2 rescues..but when i look at them i do not mind at all having to get more.

Day 61

Day 12 of flowering

I was lazy this morning and slept in. All the babies looked awesome when i peeped in, letting them have a little longer until more water as kind of a mid week dryout. Gonna run a few errands and check back later..
Going to topdress the babies with new soil but thinking of "how" i want to go about..the top of the current mediums especially a few are very firm; like water even stands for just a few seconds before eventually sinking in. So im thinking for my topdress to do anything do i need to "rake" it some? And with this mind i worry about damaging roots. Honestly i wish i could somehow get the new soil underneath..but there is definitely no way to do that without damaging roots at this phase..so im kinda stumped. Thoughts?
If your wondering i probably would have accurately planned and had enough if i hadnt taken on the 2 rescues..but when i look at them i do not mind at all having to get more.
I don't know if this relates AH, but last year I got tired of my pots baking in the sun and following the advice of letting the first inch or two of soil dry out between waterings (and NB I use heavily drilled home made air pots which lose a lot of moisture sitting in the hot sun). I felt that the top 2 inches of soil seemed wasted as it would dry out every day and no roots were really growing in it, so I added a layer of pea straw as mulch and I was surprised how well that worked to keep moisture in the top layer and not only that, there were hundreds of little roots growing right up to the top.

So I feel if you put another layer of soil on, that the plant will most likely put roots thru it without you having to worry too much about raking it in. In my current grow I am planning to do similar again soon, my girls have just started throwing out a few pistils. Shortly I will add a 1 or 2 inch layer of worm castings on top and then top that with a layer of pea straw for mulch, it will look dry and shiny at first but it soon breaks down really nice and keeps the moisture in that top layer.

Okie dokie!
I don't know if this relates AH, but last year I got tired of my pots baking in the sun and following the advice of letting the first inch or two of soil dry out between waterings (and NB I use heavily drilled home made air pots so they lose a lot of moisture sitting in the hot sun). I felt that the top 2 inches of soil seemed wasted as it would dry out every day and no roots were really growing in it, so I added a layer of pea straw as mulch and I was surprised how well that worked to keep moisture in the top layer and not only that, there were hundreds of little roots growing right up to the top.

So I feel if you put another layer of soil on, that the plant will most likely put roots thru it without you having to worry too much about raking it in. In my current grow I am planning to do similar again soon, my girls have just started throwing out a few pistils. Shortly I will add a 1 or 2 inch layer of worm castings on top and then top that with a layer of pea straw for mulch, it will look dry and shiny at first but it soon breaks down really nice and keeps the moisture in that top layer.
Awesome! and thank you for responding, gives me a little more confidence hearing your experience because i did pretty much just that..little to no raking and just added a layer making sure i got down sides good. Hopefully they " root up" :)

Ok i finally get to top dress these ladies. Gave each pot several scoops around top and down sides. Tried to fill them all up semi-evenly about 4 inches from top of pot. Also gave every pot a nice squeeze from sides and even pushed entire rootball up just a little in bag before adding soil. Decided to fold tops down again for airflow. This soil was really damp to start with so no need for presoak. Will actually not water the base of plants but around edges in a circle for few days. I think its going to help them immensely and glad to cover all those roots that were breaking surface before. Cheers 420! :ganjamon:

20210127_124336.jpg

20210127_124327.jpg

20210127_135238.jpg

20210127_125020.jpg

20210127_124722.jpg

Slowly poured 16 oz around the outer edge of each pot to prompt roots to go for a drink. Zero % runoff. Very pleased and i am pretty sure the girls are gonna love it. Moved my new fan more to center and played with settings, damn thing even has a remote! lol
Checked my short seedling for balls and thankfully nope, just looks a tad more lady like which i dont mind at all. Done for day guys and as always from our garden to yours..cheers!! :passitleft:

20210127_164238.jpg

20210127_164147.jpg

20210127_164129.jpg

Just researching lineages and stuff, very neato! Here is some cool info on our clones. Unfortunately i really dont know what the seedlings are yet..ive just got a list of genetics they might be. (dont ever store seeds together, unlabeled) Maybe can figure out what they are after full bloom or if maybe even a few of them crossed together maybe? (mmm Rossetta Cookies would be bomb! lol) Anyways enjoy!

20210127_211533.jpg

20210127_211600.jpg

And here is a list ive compiled of all the seeds that were in mystery pack...i planted 6 of the 10. 2 were duds and never popped. 4 lived but one was definitely male and got culled leaving the current 3 pretty ladies...the genetics all came from last grow, we had
1. Skunky Cookies x4
2. Rossetta Stone x2
3. Banana OG x2
4. White Widow x1
5. Night Terror OG x1 (this is only seed i found in a bag, still was great strain)

Day 62

Day 13 of flowering

Love that sweet skunky aroma as soon as i wake up in morning! :Namaste: They all look and smell truly amazing today which always starts the day off good. Rotated each pot and gave each 16 oz slowly poured around perimeter leaving the last couple shots for center of each so its not completely dry there. I'll check back in this afternoon gang. Hope everyone the best!

20210128_095615.jpg

Wanted to put some individual shots of the girls..noticing tons more bud starting good but in shade sadly, the inner fan leaves are needing pruned again already. Will probably deal with that this evening. Definitely home for day as a pretty good sized blizzard rolled through last night..of course my cat was feeling photogenic lol

20210128_110658.jpg

So majestic..
20210128_110149.jpg

Yes, Tick, you are famous :)
20210128_105137.jpg

Breakfast in Paris (French Toast)
20210128_105128.jpg

more French Toast yumm
20210128_105116.jpg

Wedding Cake
20210128_105103.jpg

Shortest seedling
20210128_105053.jpg

Middle girl
20210128_105047.jpg

Largest seedling
20210128_105040.jpg

Definitely need to trim these inner leaves again blocking these little budlet's light.

Trimmed all the inner leaves that were blocking light from reaching the lower buds. The largest seedling working on its 4th tier of budlets. The middle sized and the shortest are working on their 3rd tiers...trying to do anything in my control to increase yields. Also rearranged the smaller plants to the center seats for awhile so they can get the best light for a turn. Cheers 420! :yummy: :yummy: :yummy:

20210128_124429.jpg

20210128_124410.jpg

20210128_132123.jpg

20210128_134249.jpg

Day 63

Day 14 of flowering

Hardly any smell this morning. Either a. im noseblind, b. my carbon filter working good or c. they just not as smelly today.
They look awesome and a little thirsty, 16 oz to each pot poured slow as i can manage around the edge.
Immediately noticed a few leaf in particular this morning that look very close to my giant skunk cookies last grow that ended up sneaking about 4 good seeds into her buds somehow...given her size, rate of growth, and now her overall look has me seriously smiling that figured out its momma. I'll post and old photo and these leaves im looking at for you guys to decide...
1st notice how almost every single leaf with any age on my largest girl how the very middle one comes out "slender" then broadens out? especially in comparison to any of the other girls.

20210129_084927.jpg

20210129_083745.jpg

20210129_083704.jpg

Now look hard at the very large one to the right side of my tent last grow...i believe this is one of her 4 seeds :) ..which is super neat because last grow was this local strain's 10th generation according to my source..would make this an 11th gen skunk cookies im growing now if im correct..

20210129_084012.jpg

Day 64

Day 15 of flowering

Turned all the pots to a different angle right after giving their normal 16 oz slowly poured to each. Done a pretty lengthy session of lst and even some slight supercropping on all the seedlings, so far i think ive really outdone myself for a mainline attempt but still alot to be done and hopefully things keep sailing smooth! Im really appreciative that the seeds i hung onto seem good even though i didnt properly store and label. And honestly it looks awesome and im glad, but this entire grow has been a huge learning experience for me..thanks to all of 420mag also for all the help and advice!!! have a great day gang. here is a pic of each lady today.. thinking of giving each a tad bit of organic fertilizer tommorow also...ik the soil has added nutes also but i wanna be certain these girls have all they need to really hulk out for me. Plus the all natural fert doesnt seem to hurt them at all in low doses even if they absolutely dont need.:high-five::thumb::yummy:cheers!

20210130_113847.jpg

Breakfast in Paris
20210130_113816.jpg

Wedding Cake
20210130_113728.jpg

BiP
20210130_113718.jpg

Mid sized seedling
20210130_113709.jpg

Shortest seedling
20210130_113702.jpg

Largest (Skunky Cookies?)