My First Attempt

Anyone have any experience with HiGrow LED grow lights?

I spent a long time researching the 'economy' brand leds and no one has the reputation that Mars Hydro has. The 'Hi Grows' are just another copy of the basic Mars 300 and 600... Mars Hydro has a presence in this forum. They even have a designated rep here that seems always very willing to help with anything.

Just what I got through my research :)

Also ... my Mars has been great so far... :)

The only "real" reviews I've found are on YouYube...and from what I've seen the Hi Grow can and will grow some beautiful plants. I'm thinking it will be perfect for my 3 plants in my "3x3x6.5" tent. It's more like 3.5x3.5x6.5....but I think it will work for 3 plants.

I'm working on a tight budget. So for $170 shipped, if it will last for 1 grow of 3 plants I think it will have paid for itself. Plus my electric bill should go down...

:Yeah they no longer sell the Mars One models on their site. They are also on Ebay but send Mars and email to confirm that you are purchasing from a verified seller. I sent them an email with my ebay seller's name and they returned my email within an hour confirming they were and authorized distributor.

They are just a perfect 'Beginner's' LED IMO. Add that to the warranty and presence they have here on the forums helping their customers. I didn't want nor was I in the position to throw upwards of 500 dollars on technology that has come down in price roughly 500% in the past 3 years alone. I only have one 300 watt (actual draw 140) Mars Hydro now. I have two 150 watt cfls to add in for flowering but I may go ahead and buy one more 300. The only benefit to buying TWO 300's versus one 600 is adaptability. With one 600watt unit you have one central source emitting light whereas with two 300's you can move them about and separate them if you want to have two growing spaces down the line.

One thing I see between the hi grow and the Mars, is the hi grow allows you to choose between "veg" & "bloom" or "both" as to where the Mars is either on or off. Is this really a big deal??

From what I have read anyone who has a unit with the 'veg/bloom' switches ends up using both for the whole grow. All it does is change which lights turn on... if you wanna pull the full available wattage you need every light on. The mars 240 reflector model has the switches and no one seems to use them. Never sacrifice wattage for color temp. Unless you have the watts to spare
420-magazine-mobile1571488710.jpg

that's mine glowing like a disco....

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Well I'm glad you gave me some good advice. I'd rather guy something that is sold and warrantied here in the U.S.

Now...do I go 2 300 or 1 600...lol. decisions decisions....

I think 1 600 will do. Plus I don't have to purchase another timer, and less cords hanging around.

Thanks again for the help .

No problemo...buddy! I don't know it all but I try to help with what I do know. I came a minute away myself from buying another 'knockoff' called 'Popular Grow' until I read about Mars... here on the forums. You know... some of the copies may not be bad... but... why chance it when you can get a unit that many other growers have used and approve of, that offers tech support here on the 420 forums, and has a pretty decent warranty.

This is also a case of 'Moores Laws' of tech advances. That Mars Hydro 600 would have cost upwards of 500 bucks to produce less than 5 years ago but as time and technology advance ... cost decreases. No it is not a fancy LED system. It has its drawbacks. But it works... and its been proven time and time again in grow journals here.. I have read a lot about combining LED with Fluorescent, whether tube or compact, and they combine to make a pretty well performing inexpensive home grow systems... that also won't cause your electric bill to skyrocket.

I actually just emailed the seller I got my 300 from this morning asking if they could do me any discount on my second purchase ;)

In Italy, electricity is just too expensive to be running HPS in my home. I found a used 600watt Sylvania grolux kit for 30 euro on an online classified that is popular here. After I called to ask more about it, I realized its a family business that must buy up lots at auction because they have ads for everything from used cars to leather boots. Turns out she has 50 of the kits with lamp,reflector, ballast, and cables.

Problem is, it is a 3 hour drive away and its an Autostrada the whole way there (private road has tolls) so its 23 bucks in tolls each way. If it were close I would go scoop up like 5 of them! I still may but I do not know the quality of the ballasts yet and it all depends on that. My idea is that... I could sell them on ebay... even part them out. She said she will charge less if I buy more than one.... I don't know though. Maybe I should just keep it simple and buy another Mars :-/

Buona Notte!

xxKitty

Ak.. babies look great. I have a Mars 300 and it's good for two little plants. I would recommend it.

Look into DIY. You can build a full spectrum COB based light for 1/4 of the price you would pay for a blurple light. It's a pain in the ass getting parts but the quality is 2nd to none.

Here's a little update on my 3 girls...When should I start watering the seedlings?? I know they're working on their roots mainly right now, but I'm kind of worried about how the leaves are curling on the plant to the left. Also, should I start 18/6 or continue 24hr lighting??

420-magazine-mobile422669900.jpg

420-magazine-mobile765376123.jpg

Hey hey AK.. yes start water.. no food though. the little bit of leaf curl could be her letting you know she's thirsty. As far as lighting I leave my veg plants under 24 hrs of light until I flip to 12/12. People have different theories on plants needing a dark cycle in veg but I prefer simplicity.

Hey hey AK.. yes start water.. no food though. the little bit of leaf curl could be her letting you know she's thirsty. As far as lighting I leave my veg plants under 24 hrs of light until I flip to 12/12. People have different theories on plants needing a dark cycle in veg but I prefer simplicity.
Looks like they're getting some H2o .

Pretty sure in soil your looking for about 6.5. I grow coco and shoot for about 6. I use the drops from the pet store to check. They were like $4. Ph is very important, growing in dirt you don't need to be perfect but it can't be way off.

Back
Top Bottom