My First Journal, Kanno 26: I Will Grow 6 Critical Plants From Royal Queen Seeds

No stupid questions. That's how we learn.

The tincture is mostly an oral dose. A few drops to dropper fulls under the tongue and hold it as long as you can before swallowing, but at least 30 seconds. There is an artery close to the surface under your tongue that the cannabinoids find their way into so some of it at least goes right into the blood stream, bypassing the liver on the first go round. Kind of like how smoking goes right into the bloodstream from the lungs, so you get a more instantaneous reaction. That, as opposed to edibles which first have to get broken down in the digestive system via the liver so that way takes longer to kick in.

With the tincture you're supposed to get some of both. Some gets absorbed into the artery under your tongue for instant effect and the rest through your digestive system after you swallow it for a longer lasting one.

At least that's the theory, and one I plan to test out! :cool:

Hi fellow growers, so I came back from the hospital today and the girls look pretty dry, so today they get another half dose of nuts and we will see here are some photos of the girls in front of them about 9 days in the vegetables. Do you think that I should put water on the flower or give this one to grow and start the flower next week? Thanks for the insight and for the advice;)
IMG_20220312_114410.jpg
IMG_20220312_114407.jpg
IMG_20220312_114400.jpg
IMG_20220312_114358.jpg
IMG_20220312_114353.jpg
Doesn't matter bro. U can put them in flowering after that. It's a change for them anyway and they want make much difference . I dark mine out 24 hrs between and don't water till next day. . They make transition just fine .

Hi @Azimuth, thank you for the comprehensive answer that's exactly what I asked. But I plan to have my plant in vegetables for only nine days, which is probably not enough for the technique? What is the ideal time for that? I planned to have them in the vegetables for six weeks, and now the fifth week is over.
Yeah don't think I understand ether . Yeah I agree with this guy's. Now I know what you meant

Yeah don't think I understand ether . Yeah I agree with this guy's. Now I know what you meant

i'm with you - - i don't have a clue what he's on about. thinking maybe nine wks but his buckets don't look the size. the plants look fantastic but crowded right now and i suspect the roots could be getting tight.

my best guess is this could be an sog attempt with smaller buckets that maybe should run 12/12 from go.

Hi fellow growers, so I'm back with a little update, today I trimmed the girls and spread the branches. I think the girls look good and that the watering was yesterday for the birds received 10 liters of water with a half dose of calmag and a half dose of nuts to grow. Here are photos of five critical plants plus a weekly record of temperatures and humidity. Thanks to everyone for your insight and advice;)

IMG_20220313_103726.jpg

IMG_20220313_103503.jpg

IMG_20220313_103410.jpg

IMG_20220313_103338.jpg

IMG_20220313_103333.jpg

IMG_20220313_105005.jpg

Hi fellow growers, so I'm back with a little update, today I trimmed the girls and spread the branches. I think the girls look good and that the watering was yesterday for the birds received 10 liters of water with a half dose of calmag and a half dose of nuts to grow. Here are photos of five critical plants plus a weekly record of temperatures and humidity. Thanks to everyone for your insight and advice;)

IMG_20220313_103726.jpg

IMG_20220313_103503.jpg

IMG_20220313_103410.jpg

IMG_20220313_103338.jpg

IMG_20220313_103333.jpg

IMG_20220313_105005.jpg
Nice @Kanno26! I have a question, and maybe Azi will chime in on this too.

You are removing the nodal growth along the stems you've spread out. I get that and why. But at some point you need those shoots to fill in the holes and the middle, potentially. So my question is, at what point do you stop stripping the growth along the spread out branches? At the point you're at now on a couple with the two growths on each side near the cola? I assume you'd keep them and go from there?

Nice @Kanno26! I have a question, and maybe Azi will chime in on this too.

You are removing the nodal growth along the stems you've spread out. I get that and why. But at some point you need those shoots to fill in the holes and the middle, potentially. So my question is, at what point do you stop stripping the growth along the spread out branches? At the point you're at now on a couple with the two growths on each side near the cola? I assume you'd keep them and go from there?
Hi @Jon, I have a plan not to cut them anymore, I'll just let them grow into the edges of the pots and then I'll let them go upstairs. It's a fact that I'm doing it for the first time, so I cut each one differently and I'll see how they grow and the next time I do it better, depending on how they grow now, that's my plan, but the fact is that I'm in favor of every proposal;)

Hi @Jon, I have a plan not to cut them anymore, I'll just let them grow into the edges of the pots and then I'll let them go upstairs. It's a fact that I'm doing it for the first time, so I cut each one differently and I'll see how they grow and the next time I do it better, depending on how they grow now, that's my plan, but the fact is that I'm in favor of every proposal;)
Cool, thanks, I love your experimental nature. I'm the same way. I'd rather kill a plant in the name of learning something important for the future than not try new and perhaps even untested things.

I see you've been doing them differently I was going to ask. I'm no expert on the quadlining, but take the ones that so far you have left with just the four colas and all the growth is stripped. If you were to do that all the way to the edge and then go north as you say, you could potentially end up with four HUGE buds and not much else. That might work really well for your setup considering you're on the edge of crowded or at least bustling in there. Now take the ones where you left the pairs of shoots. Obviously you know you can spread them flat too and create yet more new growth. That's exactly how I fill in the center buds when I train as I have the Apple Blossom. All my center buds in that plant came from these pairs of shoots.

I'm not saying one is better than another, and I'm sure there's a ton of other potential avenues here. Also sure your boy will know. But based on my experience, that's about what I see. A question of deciding if you want something scrog looking on the plant, like my AB, or something like just the big buds, actually like some of @Bill284's plants that he could show you. Real pretty, real symmetrical, big buds.

Great journal Kanno. You spawn interesting discussions when you ask as many questions as you do. We share this approach. I dig it.

Cool, thanks, I love your experimental nature. I'm the same way. I'd rather kill a plant in the name of learning something important for the future than not try new and perhaps even untested things.

I see you've been doing them differently I was going to ask. I'm no expert on the quadlining, but take the ones that so far you have left with just the four colas and all the growth is stripped. If you were to do that all the way to the edge and then go north as you say, you could potentially end up with four HUGE buds and not much else. That might work really well for your setup considering you're on the edge of crowded or at least bustling in there. Now take the ones where you left the pairs of shoots. Obviously you know you can spread them flat too and create yet more new growth. That's exactly how I fill in the center buds when I train as I have the Apple Blossom. All my center buds in that plant came from these pairs of shoots.

I'm not saying one is better than another, and I'm sure there's a ton of other potential avenues here. Also sure your boy will know. But based on my experience, that's about what I see. A question of deciding if you want something scrog looking on the plant, like my AB, or something like just the big buds, actually like some of @Bill284's plants that he could show you. Real pretty, real symmetrical, big buds.

Great journal Kanno. You spawn interesting discussions when you ask as many questions as you do. We share this approach. I dig it.
Thanks @Jon, I try my best and as quickly as possible to learn how to be as effective as possible. It is always best to provoke some discussion and you will learn the most about it, especially when everyone is here :D

Hey @Kanno26 @Jon ,

Good observations. Jon is absolutely right-on about what you'll end up with with the different approaches to taking off or leaving nodes. I prefer the middle ground, never stripping them all from the middle like you've done on some, but that's straight up personal preference.

If you look closely you will see that that nodes rotate or spiral around the branch as it grows. One pair comes off horizontal, the next top and bottom and so on. Depending on the size of your pots and how much room you have you could leave some and take others off to give you a balance between good spacing on one hand and more bud sites on the other.

Since I grow in small pots I have to take a bunch out and I always start with the ones that come out on the bottom of the branch and go from there. You don't want them too crowded. The first round is always a learning curve to see what you can get away with and what you like. It will better inform your next round when you'll be able to take what you learned from this one and apply it to the next. Always dialing it in better and better.

But I, too, like your experimental nature! That's the way I roll as well. :thumb:

Hey @Kanno26 @Jon ,

Good observations. Jon is absolutely right-on about what you'll end up with with the different approaches to taking off or leaving nodes. I prefer the middle ground, never stripping them all from the middle like you've done on some, but that's straight up personal preference.

If you look closely you will see that that nodes rotate around the branch as it grows. One pair comes off horizontal, the next top and bottom and so on. Depending on the size of your pots and how much room you have you could leave some and take others off to give you a balance between good spacing on one hand and more bud sites on the other.

Since I grow in small pots I have to take a bunch out and I always start with the ones that come out on the bottom of the branch and go from there. You don't want them too crowded. The first round is always a learning curve to see what you can get away with and what you like. It will better inform your next round when you'll be able to take what you learned from this one and apply it to the next. Always dialing it in better and better.

But I, too, like your experimental nature! That's the way I roll as well. :thumb:
Hi @Azimuth, thanks I'm glad I didn't fuck it up somehow;) thanks for the next tip, next time it will definitely be better and as they say mistakes one learns. It's true that I did it here on purpose, I learn better when I observe it this way. The important thing is that there will definitely be something to it :D

Hi @Azimuth, thanks I'm glad I didn't fuck it up somehow;) thanks for the next tip, next time it will definitely be better and as they say mistakes one learns. It's true that I did it here on purpose, I learn better when I observe it this way. The important thing is that there will definitely be something to it :D
Oh it'll be more than something if you can keep them looking as good through flower as they do now. Your buds will be way sweet. And if you choose to leave one completely stripped in the middle except for the four colas, I would bet those four colas will get real big. Like Azi said, it's all doing it a couple times, figuring out what the plant can take and what it can't, and then tailoring your methodology to your personal preference. Many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Hi fellow growers, so I'm back with an update today, the girls are the third day of watering and two days of pruning. And I think the girls look great, I cut a few bottom sheets today and the girls will just stretch so we'll see. Here are photos of the girls individually and together;). Thanks to everyone for your insight and advice. Have a nice Tuesday
IMG_20220315_105539.jpg
IMG_20220315_105434.jpg
IMG_20220315_105237.jpg
IMG_20220315_105150.jpg
IMG_20220315_105048.jpg
IMG_20220315_105002.jpg
:D.

Hi fellow growers, so I'm back with an update today, the girls are the third day of watering and two days of pruning. And I think the girls look great, I cut a few bottom sheets today and the girls will just stretch so we'll see. Here are photos of the girls individually and together;). Thanks to everyone for your insight and advice. Have a nice Tuesday
IMG_20220315_105539.jpg
IMG_20220315_105434.jpg
IMG_20220315_105237.jpg
IMG_20220315_105150.jpg
IMG_20220315_105048.jpg
IMG_20220315_105002.jpg
:D.
Have to agree with you @Kanno26, they look great! Very robust growth since your last post, and very healthy and happy looking plants. Great job.

Have to agree with you @Kanno26, they look great! Very robust growth since your last post, and very healthy and happy looking plants. Great job.
Thanks @Jon, I have a question: I have quite high humidity around 70% when the lights are off, I don't know what to do with it? I noticed that you have an air extractor built on the ground in your tent, does it help with moisture? Today I have already turned on the light 100% so maybe it will also help and I also have a dehumidifier there.

Thanks @Jon, I have a question: I have quite high humidity around 70% when the lights are off, I don't know what to do with it? I noticed that you have an air extractor built on the ground in your tent, does it help with moisture? Today I have already turned on the light 100% so maybe it will also help and I also have a dehumidifier there.
Hi @Kanno26 - the air extractor you're referring to is simply a common window air conditioning unit for standard sized windows. Specifically it's a 5000 btu AC unit with high/low AC and high/low FAN ONLY settings. I used to use an 8000 btu digital one (bigger, had dehumidifier function) but the digital system had issues. These work amazingly well. I use them for two reasons -
- they will help keep temps down
- they will help keep humidity down

One of the ways an AC unit cools the air is that it takes water out of it. So you're taking in the outside air and shooting cold and drier air into the tent. It's also relatively easily controlled with the exhaust fan if you have variable settings. On the lowest setting, more cold air stays in for longer, and the effect is more pronounced. As you get higher on the exhaust setting, the effect gradually declines.

They work very well in both veg and flower but there are a few VERY IMPORTANT infrastructural differences you need to know:

- In veg, when light leaks are not an issue, there is no need to seal the AC unit to the tent. See picture #1 and #2. In the first you see what I mean about having the unit on an angle. In the second you can see how little of the actual vent I have going into the tent right now. This has me at 75.6 degrees and 57% humidity, which is just fine as a compromise environment for one plant budding and the others in seedling. You can change the angle of how the unit hits the tent however you wish. By working with this and a combination of opening tent doors a bit or whatever, it becomes very easy to customize your veg environment. If you need it colder and drier, you put the unit square on to the rectangular port so that both sides of where the air comes out are blowing in and you're minimizing the warm air draw.. If you want it less so you do something like I pictured. Change the angle so less of the air is blowing in and more is wasted outside the tent (you don't care about that). A 15 or 20 degree angle change will change your environment and it becomes easy very quickly. This works for the entirety of veg.
- In flower, you have to make a change. You can't have light leak where the unit meets the tent. See picture #3 and #4. In the third picture you can see how I light seal. In the fourth picture you can hopefully see the rolled up black sock thing I do to seal to the tent. This is your most important seal - you don't want to compromise the air coming in or the holes under the vents on the front as this is air intake. So you only have a strip a few inches wide to seal it, and you have to do it while you can look at the inside of the vent to see what you're doing. Sounds harder than it is. This has me at 73.4 degrees and 41% humidity this very moment and the RH will go down as the day goes on - right where I want them for flowering. This is the AC on the 3x3 for the Apple Blossom. Note that I have sealed light but allowed the vents of the unit to remain exposed so as to not compromise it's air intake/outflow. So all you're seeing is the AC unit square to the rectangular port and centered on it, with black clean (lol) socks that I rolled up to seal the vertical space between the unit and the tent, and then various other things (the scarf, brown towel, piece of wood, etc) to make sure it's sealed. It's good to test the light seal to make sure you got it all. Once you do this you will not have the option to change it really anymore. I break it down once a week, dump any water out of the bottom of the unit, let the compressor rest a bit, and change any setting I need to on the unit then set it back up. It will keep down the temp and the humidity and is the only reason I can get to mid 30s RH ever on either tent.

A unit my size (5000 btu) works well for a 3x3 or up to 5x5. Anything smaller it's too much. Anything bigger I'd use a bigger unit.

I am a big advocate of this practice and have experimented with several methods since my first grow. Hope this helps, but if you want to get even more radical I have other tricks up my sleeve regarding using these units, just lemme know.

Good luck!

AC 1.jpg

AC 2.jpg

AC 3.jpg

AC 4.jpg

Hey @Kanno26, I forgot one VERY important thing about the AC units!

When you position it on the rectangular vent it may be necessary to raise the unit up a few inches, at least that's almost always been the case with me. In that event you simply use wood or bricks or whatever under the four "feet" under the unit to raise it to the height you need to hit your vent.

Here's the important part: You MUST make sure the unit is either LEVEL or TILTING SLIGHTLY BACKWARDS.

NEVER TILTING FORWARD!!!!!!!

This will cause you all kinds of problems because the water that's designed to run out the back and bottom, or sit in there and evaporate away, will instead be flowing forward. The unit is not designed for this. The compressor will begin to have problems, and you will get all kinds of water right up on your tent, where mold will quickly form.

Phew. Glad I remembered that one. You don't want to learn that one the hard way as I did.

Back
Top Bottom