My First Journal, Kanno 26: I Will Grow 6 Critical Plants From Royal Queen Seeds

Hey @Kanno26, I forgot one VERY important thing about the AC units!

When you position it on the rectangular vent it may be necessary to raise the unit up a few inches, at least that's almost always been the case with me. In that event you simply use wood or bricks or whatever under the four "feet" under the unit to raise it to the height you need to hit your vent.

Here's the important part: You MUST make sure the unit is either LEVEL or TILTING SLIGHTLY BACKWARDS.

NEVER TILTING FORWARD!!!!!!!

This will cause you all kinds of problems because the water that's designed to run out the back and bottom, or sit in there and evaporate away, will instead be flowing forward. The unit is not designed for this. The compressor will begin to have problems, and you will get all kinds of water right up on your tent, where mold will quickly form.

Phew. Glad I remembered that one. You don't want to learn that one the hard way as I did.
Sounds like you're speaking from experience. :laughtwo:

Edit: Now I see the "learn that one the hard way as I did."

Note to self.: Try paying more attention as you read things. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Hey @Kanno26, I forgot one VERY important thing about the AC units!

When you position it on the rectangular vent it may be necessary to raise the unit up a few inches, at least that's almost always been the case with me. In that event you simply use wood or bricks or whatever under the four "feet" under the unit to raise it to the height you need to hit your vent.

Here's the important part: You MUST make sure the unit is either LEVEL or TILTING SLIGHTLY BACKWARDS.

NEVER TILTING FORWARD!!!!!!!

This will cause you all kinds of problems because the water that's designed to run out the back and bottom, or sit in there and evaporate away, will instead be flowing forward. The unit is not designed for this. The compressor will begin to have problems, and you will get all kinds of water right up on your tent, where mold will quickly form.

Phew. Glad I remembered that one. You don't want to learn that one the hard way as I did.
Thanks @Jon, for a great answer it looks good but I have ventilation holes about 20cm above the ground and here we do not have such low and small air conditioners and moreover they are not completely cheap and are standing. Don't you happen to have a cheaper tip on how to do it? We have mainly such ones here and I would only have to put them here indoors and I don't really want that, if you understand me;)

IMG_20220315_160558.jpg

Thanks @Jon, for a great answer it looks good but I have ventilation holes about 20cm above the ground and here we do not have such low and small air conditioners and moreover they are not completely cheap and are standing. Don't you happen to have a cheaper tip on how to do it? We have mainly such ones here and I would only have to put them here indoors and I don't really want that, if you understand me;)

IMG_20220315_160558.jpg
Ah....okay, no problem, plan B. Here's what you can do with this type unit. It's a bit more complicated, but if this is a 7000 btu unit as it appears then it would work really well. You can use the method I used on my first grow.

You need three things
- a piece of aluminum ducting that has an opening approximately the size of where the vents are - if this is not readily available you can just use the second item and adapt the shape of the round to fit the unit.
- 6" or 10"round plastic ducting, like what you might use for your exhaust and exactly what I have in the Apple Blossom tent. Plastic wrapped around coiled wire. Most tents won't fit a round tube bigger than 10', but a 10" round end would be easier to adapt in this particular case given the size of your vents.
- LOTS of duct tape, lol

All you do is use pliers or some tool to shape the round end of the coiled ducting into a square, to fit your vents as best you can. Then you simply use duct tape to affix it to the unit. It has to be well sealed and well taped, but I've done it before and it works just fine. The other end of the ducting runs into the hole in the tent that is round.

Now you have the unit you pictured performing the same exact function as what I described earlier. You will lose some in the length of hose, which is why I think a 7000 btu unit would work well. The length from unit to tent should be as short as you can make it. And you will also have to wrap the clear plastic tube with shirts or rags or whatever. SEAL IT WELL. This is a light seal. You would be shocked to see how much light enters the tent from the ducting if you do not seal the plastic with something to block the light.

The other idea is to attempt to use that unit or one like it to cool the entire grow room your tent is set up in and hope you can affect it ambiently that way.

Always gotta have a plan B.

Ah....okay, no problem, plan B. Here's what you can do with this type unit. It's a bit more complicated, but if this is a 7000 btu unit as it appears then it would work really well. You can use the method I used on my first grow.

You need three things
- a piece of aluminum ducting that has an opening approximately the size of where the vents are - if this is not readily available you can just use the second item and adapt the shape of the round to fit the unit.
- 6" or 10"round plastic ducting, like what you might use for your exhaust and exactly what I have in the Apple Blossom tent. Plastic wrapped around coiled wire. Most tents won't fit a round tube bigger than 10', but a 10" round end would be easier to adapt in this particular case given the size of your vents.
- LOTS of duct tape, lol

All you do is use pliers or some tool to shape the round end of the coiled ducting into a square, to fit your vents as best you can. Then you simply use duct tape to affix it to the unit. It has to be well sealed and well taped, but I've done it before and it works just fine. The other end of the ducting runs into the hole in the tent that is round.

Now you have the unit you pictured performing the same exact function as what I described earlier. You will lose some in the length of hose, which is why I think a 7000 btu unit would work well. The length from unit to tent should be as short as you can make it. And you will also have to wrap the clear plastic tube with shirts or rags or whatever. SEAL IT WELL. This is a light seal. You would be shocked to see how much light enters the tent from the ducting if you do not seal the plastic with something to block the light.

The other idea is to attempt to use that unit or one like it to cool the entire grow room your tent is set up in and hope you can affect it ambiently that way.

Always gotta have a plan B.
Just saw the other question about having a cheaper tip. Yes: don't worry too much about it, and increase the number of fans blowing around in your tent. Moving air will mitigate humidity issues to some extent. And if the issue is only at night, you would likely be okay.

Just saw the other question about having a cheaper tip. Yes: don't worry too much about it, and increase the number of fans blowing around in your tent. Moving air will mitigate humidity issues to some extent. And if the issue is only at night, you would likely be okay.
Thanks @Jon, I'll have to think about it today, I've added one more fan so I'll see what it will do when I add one and I'll have to save for summer for air conditioning, now I have a tent like this. Thanks again:D
IMG_20220315_163933.jpg

Thanks @Jon, I'll have to think about it today, I've added one more fan so I'll see what it will do when I add one and I'll have to save for summer for air conditioning, now I have a tent like this. Thanks again:D
IMG_20220315_163933.jpg
See? You're fine during the day. 50% is not a big deal. It'll work for veg and flower if need be. Maybe think in terms of the average humidity you're running in a 24 hour period instead? If you average 70 at night and can get to 40 by day you're riding out at an average of 55% and that likely won't hurt you. I bet the fan will be enough.

See? You're fine during the day. 50% is not a big deal. It'll work for veg and flower if need be. Maybe think in terms of the average humidity you're running in a 24 hour period instead? If you average 70 at night and can get to 40 by day you're riding out at an average of 55% and that likely won't hurt you. I bet the fan will be enough.
So glad to hear that @Jon, I'll let you know here and see what happens next:D

So glad to hear that @Jon, I'll let you know here and see what happens next:D
Isn't it fun to play god and control the environment? Betcha god wouldn't have an issue like we do. If there was such a thing.

:rofl:

Hello fellow growers, I'm here for more updates. The girls need to water more often, today is the fifth day since the 10l watering. Today I'm 10l further and in an hour I'll go try to water them if they still marry. I'm in the middle of the sixth week in vegetables and I'm still thinking about whether to stay another week or switch next week, what do you think about it. Here are photos of the girls before watering and a record of temperatures for the week. Thanks for the insight and for the advice;)
IMG_20220317_130046.jpg
IMG_20220317_124843.jpg
IMG_20220317_124839.jpg
IMG_20220317_124832.jpg
IMG_20220317_124825.jpg
IMG_20220317_124819.jpg

Hello fellow growers, I'm here for more updates. The girls need to water more often, today is the fifth day since the 10l watering. Today I'm 10l further and in an hour I'll go try to water them if they still marry. I'm in the middle of the sixth week in vegetables and I'm still thinking about whether to stay another week or switch next week, what do you think about it. Here are photos of the girls before watering and a record of temperatures for the week. Thanks for the insight and for the advice;)
IMG_20220317_130046.jpg
IMG_20220317_124843.jpg
IMG_20220317_124839.jpg
IMG_20220317_124832.jpg
IMG_20220317_124825.jpg
IMG_20220317_124819.jpg
Hi @Kanno26! Great job my friend, they look fabulous. You're doing extremely well on NOT overwatering. To offer an opinion on your question of when to flip? I look at the third picture. See how all those interior branches are starting to hum and become actual, productive branches? If it were my grow I would let them go longer if only for that plant alone. Let those interior branches grow out some. I would also keep the main colas on that plant in a static position relative to vertical growth to give those interiors time to reach the same level, and voila! you have a nice little canopy on that one plant. In the meantime, the plants with mostly the quad/mains and stripped of interior growth will continue to get bigger too. That's what I would do. Interested to see what other answers you get on this. Great job again.

the cheapest way to keep humidity in control is move air. specifically extraction. you want the moist air pulled out and exhausted outside.

if you are simply dumping your exhaust back in to the room the tent is in you'll never get it under control. all you will have done is create a closed loop system designed to fail and stress your equipment.

there are extraction fans that will work on temps, or humidity, moving more air as needed. ac infinity is one that gets top marks.

what is your base rh and temps ? that is the ambient temp and rh in the rest of the living area, not in the tent itself. whether you require ac or dehum will depend entirely on what your conditions are outside the grow space.

the plants are definitely not showing anything i'd call an issue related to either right now. you might be chasing a non issue.

the cheapest way to keep humidity in control is move air. specifically extraction. you want the moist air pulled out and exhausted outside.

if you are simply dumping your exhaust back in to the room the tent is in you'll never get it under control. all you will have done is create a closed loop system designed to fail and stress your equipment.

there are extraction fans that will work on temps, or humidity, moving more air as needed. ac infinity is one that gets top marks.

what is your base rh and temps ? that is the ambient temp and rh in the rest of the living area, not in the tent itself. whether you require ac or dehum will depend entirely on what your conditions are outside the grow space.

the plants are definitely not showing anything i'd call an issue related to either right now. you might be chasing a non issue.
In one sentence, this one:

the plants are definitely not showing anything i'd call an issue related to either right now. you might be chasing a non issue

I think you've captured the real deal here. Lmao!

Hi @bluter, I have a tow to the room where the tent is, but I have a window there that is open for ventilation during the lighting, so the air is spinning there;). The girls don't think anything is missing, they look good.

Hi @Kanno26! Great job my friend, they look fabulous. You're doing extremely well on NOT overwatering. To offer an opinion on your question of when to flip? I look at the third picture. See how all those interior branches are starting to hum and become actual, productive branches? If it were my grow I would let them go longer if only for that plant alone. Let those interior branches grow out some. I would also keep the main colas on that plant in a static position relative to vertical growth to give those interiors time to reach the same level, and voila! you have a nice little canopy on that one plant. In the meantime, the plants with mostly the quad/mains and stripped of interior growth will continue to get bigger too. That's what I would do. Interested to see what other answers you get on this. Great job again.
Hi @Jon, thanks for the peek, the fact is that I also have the urge to leave them a week longer in the vegetables:D. I have never had plants in vegetables for a maximum of three weeks. So I'll try to leave it for seven weeks and see what the plants will look like;).

Hi @bluter, I have a tow to the room where the tent is, but I have a window there that is open for ventilation during the lighting, so the air is spinning there.

i've no idea what you mean. you should have a permanent exhaust set up to dump air outside of the house 24/7. opening a window once in a while isn't gonna cut it long term. you might get away with it in veg, flower will bring loads of issues if left that way.

The girls don't think anything is missing, they look good.

they're great at the moment for sure.

i've no idea what you mean. you should have a permanent exhaust set up to dump air outside of the house 24/7. opening a window once in a while isn't gonna cut it long term. you might get away with it in veg, flower will bring loads of issues if left that way.

they're great at the moment for sure.
Ok so I'll have to work it out somehow. To let the air go. Thanks for the tip @bluter;).

Hi Kanno. Plants looking healthy green and good job on main-lining.

And the quoting the upper post; you definitely need an exhaust system. The intake intensity may be lower than the extraction, in which case you would create the vacuum inside the tent. I’ve found out cannabis plants likes that.
If you do have an intake fan/system without exhaust system then you’ll have a stagnant air moving around inside the tent - prob gets too humid during the flowering.

CO2 bag would be a great addition amongst with some kind of exhaust system.

Hi Kanno. Plants looking healthy green and good job on main-lining.

And the quoting the upper post; you definitely need an exhaust system. The intake intensity may be lower than the extraction, in which case you would create the vacuum inside the tent. I’ve found out cannabis plants likes that.
If you do have an intake fan/system without exhaust system then you’ll have a stagnant air moving around inside the tent - prob gets too humid during the flowering.

CO2 bag would be a great addition amongst with some kind of exhaust system.
Hi @Verbalist, thanks. But the exhaust I have goes to the room where the box is. And I really would have to cut a hole in the wall of the house, and I don't really want that. I would not like to point out that it is not legal with us. So I don't know what to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom