My First Outdoor/In Ground Grow

I just spent the morning reading about the pros and cons of topping outdoor plants.

I'm going to play it safe with the plants in the ground for my first year and not top them.

But I'm considering topping my plants in the containers. These plants will turn 4 weeks old tomorrow and each have 6-7 nodes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on topping my plants in containers please?

I’ve topped all of my most recent grows, only 5 plants worth. All containers the last 3 sips.

My next grow is 2 plants sip and scrog and I plan on topping them to. My thought is top! It helps event the canopy of the plant and gives you more colas :) well from my experience it does.

I’ve topped all of my most recent grows, only 5 plants worth. All containers the last 3 sips.

My next grow is 2 plants sip and scrog and I plan on topping them to. My thought is top! It helps event the canopy of the plant and gives you more colas :) well from my experience it does.

Thanks man - appreciate it!

I just topped the two plants in the plastic pots as an experiment. I wish I wouldn't have got these regular seeds. I don't know which are males or females yet out of the five.

I was thinking this would force me to learn how to sex plants, but now I'm wishing I would have gotten feminized seeds. 👍☮️
IMG_20240517_184522844.jpg

My plants in the ground slowed down for the first time with their high rate of growth and went a little light green.

I've been using fish emulsion solution in these since week one but I haven't wanted to use it outside because I don't want to attract animals and have them dig in the ground around my plants or in the grow bags (especially raccoons). It occurred to me I might as well set cans of tuna fish around my plants as to pour fish emulsion around them.

The only other source of nitrogen I have is MG all purpose fertilizer 24-8-16.

So I just applied it to the 3 in the ground at half strength (12-4-8) along with epsom salt and cal mag at half strength.

I would have rather kept using the fish but we'll see how this does.

I'll start working some MoreBloom into the cocktail next week.

@Trump

if you haven't sexed them you'll need to be ready to pull the males as soon as they show. a single male anywhere near that yard will impregnate all the females and ruin the bud. not good unless you are looking for a lifetime worth of reg seeds.

Excellent as usual! Thanks man!!

mega crop is light years cheaper per feed and is similar. it's so cheap i use it in the veg garden occasionally. i've used both, i'd guess jack's might be slightly better, but they're so close i couldn't care.

I'm sitting on ready to eradicate any males and watching them like a hawk. I'm in week #5 now and can't believe they are not showing any sex organs. Thank you!

PS I think this will be my one and only experience with regular seeds. This really sucks putting all this effort into plants and not knowing what you have.

IMG_20240522_163059543_HDR.jpg

I'm sitting on ready to eradicate any males and watching them like a hawk. I'm in week #5 now and can't believe they are not showing any sex organs. Thank you!

they sit forever then happen fast outdoor. as long as you check them daily you're good. :)

PS I think this will be my one and only experience with regular seeds. This really sucks putting all this effort into plants and not knowing what you have.

one time it used to be all we had :laughtwo:

you get used to it. indoor grow styles change a bit into a different routine, but there's not a huge difference outdoor. it does cost the effort and inputs.
we used to isolate the best males and collect pollen for cross breeding reg seeds, then use cs to reverse and make fem seed.

they sit forever then happen fast outdoor. as long as you check them daily you're good. :)

one time it used to be all we had :laughtwo:

you get used to it. indoor grow styles change a bit into a different routine, but there's not a huge difference outdoor. it does cost the effort and inputs.
we used to isolate the best males and collect pollen for cross breeding reg seeds, then use cs to reverse and make fem seed.

Very helpful! Thanks sir!! 👍👍

if you haven't sexed them you'll need to be ready to pull the males as soon as they show. a single male anywhere near that yard will impregnate all the females and ruin the bud. not good unless you are looking for a lifetime worth of reg seeds.
I wonder if it would be better to run outdoor photos in 10 gal cloth pots until they show they're sex to be able to cull the males then transplant them into the ground. Just not sure how transplanting at that stage would affect harvest.

@Terrapin Station - If you're going to grow outside and you don't want to have to deal with culling males you can always setup a tent indoors and keep a mother plant to take cuts from. This way you're guaranteed females. You can also go with feminized seeds. You can also use the clones for any indoor grows you want to do. The only bad thing with mothers is that you are limited to those genetics.

I had a buddy that loved to collect different cuts and mother them so that he had a wide range of genetics to choose from. He had a 3 bed/2 bath SFR, was single and worked remotely from home. One of the 12' x 12' bedrooms he used as a mother/ veg room and the other 12' x 12' he set up for flower. He collected so many different cultivars he didn't have room to do veg anymore so he had to set up a tent in the master bedroom.

I wonder if it would be better to run outdoor photos in 10 gal cloth pots until they show they're sex to be able to cull the males then transplant them into the ground. Just not sure how transplanting at that stage would affect harvest.

@Terrapin Station - If you're going to grow outside and you don't want to have to deal with culling males you can always setup a tent indoors and keep a mother plant to take cuts from. This way you're guaranteed females. You can also go with feminized seeds. You can also use the clones for any indoor grows you want to do. The only bad thing with mothers is that you are limited to those genetics.

I had a buddy that loved to collect different cuts and mother them so that he had a wide range of genetics to choose from. He had a 3 bed/2 bath SFR, was single and worked remotely from home. One of the 12' x 12' bedrooms he used as a mother/ veg room and the other 12' x 12' he set up for flower. He collected so many different cultivars he didn't have room to do veg anymore so he had to set up a tent in the master bedroom.

I hear what you are saying Bro.

When you were helping me last spring think about this grow I never told you I was making all my decisions around knowing I would be gone this weekend for four days. I wanted them all to be able to take care of themselves outside for 4 days by the end of May.

You know man with these three beautiful ladies in the garden (og Kush and white widows) all things considered, I could be talked into burning these 5 regular seeds plants tonight and reaching for 3 more of my old auto seeds ( I'm allowed to have 6 plants without being paranoid about helicopters) and see how they do outside.

Maybe when I'm more experienced I will think differently; but, as for now it's like fuck these regular seeds plants for a grower like me.

Thanks for Everything man. I wouldn't be where I am now with some high quality weed in jars without you. ❤️

I read characteristically a young male like these will be lanky with more space between the nodes and a female will be more compact.

If there is any truth to this I'm looking at 3 males and 2 females ( in the bag on the far right and the plastic pot in the extreme right (Mary's old pot from the closet.)

IMG_20240522_184152250_HDR.jpg

@Bill284 Where did you go Billman?

Back
Top Bottom