My First Step By Step Grow

that's alot of bulbs u got there, cozias. how many are u going to use at one time? I agree with nutslinger, you're going to need to make a reflector to reflect light back down. I made one out of the piece of cardboard from the 24 soda can package and some mylar, but someone said they used the helium balloons( cut em open and lay em flat) and that worked fine. Advanced nutes are pretty good, i would imagine, but as 420inOregon said Ebay ships worldwide so I would think you could find some good nutes on there. If not, like I said, advanced nutes are pretty good.:Namaste:

Well I'll use mylar to reflect the light, when everything will be at his place, I'll post some photos too. For the moment I don't have my camera home :( .

@ akaman I'll use 4 bulbs for every plant, 2 lights up and 2 on the bottom of the plant. I didint make yet any reflector ... comming soon with more updates and photos.
Keep in touch and thank you for support .
Regards !

Cozias, welcome aboard, mi amigo! (wrong language? just guessing!)

You have everything you need. More than enough lights, that's for sure!

I use Advanced Nutrients myself and if they're easy to get, use them. There are lots of other alternatives as well.

As far as your grow space, mylar is fine for reflection. Actually, as QueenTokeLOve suggested, flat white is the best reflector. When I was setting up my grow space, I researched what would be the best reflective surface. Turns out flat white paint is better than mylar and aluminum foil. I think mylar came in second best.

There are lots of germination techniques. I soak the seeds in water for two days, then plant in soil. Which brings me to the question, what are you going to be using for soil?

The most important things are

1) lighting,
2) soil,
3) nutrients.

Your grow space is 40" wide, 24" deep and 64" high. (Just converting for those who are not familiar with the metric ssytem).

You should be able to grow 3 or 4 plants comfortably in this space.

I know you have lots of questions but don't get carried away with things like "how do I tell the sex of my plants," etc.

Take it one step at a time, Grasshopper! Get your seeds germinated, then potted, then start on the vegetative cycle. There's plenty of time later to learn about flowering, etc.

Keep people informed and they will help you step-by-step through the process of nurturing one of God's greatest gifts to man (and woman, too!).

Hi to everyone. A new day, one step forward :) . This night I potted the kids, they look good, I made a temporary setup, for a few hours or maximum till tomorrow ...
Sorry for this few details but I'm in hurry, so more updates later. Till then this is the little setup and my kids :

DSC_00395.JPG

DSC_00407.JPG

DSC_00416.JPG

DSC_00426.JPG

DSC_00437.JPG

DSC_00446.JPG

DSC_00455.JPG

Hi ggrant, yes, wrong language ... thank you for the advices and support, but I cannot paint the closet walls ... so I have them covered.
I hope I'll have space for 5 :laugh:

More updates at the time. Keep in touch !
Regards !

Hey Cozias,

Your girls look great! How far are they from the light? I think you could move the lights closer. I use smaller CFL bulbs for germination and seedlings. The ones I use are 24W and I can put my babies 2" (5 cm) away.

Your bulbs are bigger and give off more light, so I'm not sure what distance would be best. The idea is to make the lights as bright as possible without burning the seedlings.

Hold your hand under the lamps for a few seconds and find a distance where your hand doesn't get hot. This is like using the back of your hand to test the temperature of milk in a baby's bottle.

Another way is to progressively (little by little) move the lamps closer and see how this works out.

Here is a picture of a seedling that is 3 weeks old. Normally, a plant this old would be a lot taller, but because she has been 5 cm from the light, the internode spacing (the distance between leaf sets) is really short.

I've already topped this plant and it is growing new shoots.

Baby Girl

MissNebula4.jpg

Looking forward to more pictures!

Hi everyone, second day since my kids are potted, they doing good, later I'll upload some photos, so .. stay tuned :) .

@ ggrant, you use 24W and you keep them far from the top 5 cm ? cuz mine are 22W and 20 W .. and now I'm using 6 lights for 5 plants, 2 22 W bulbs - 2700 K and 4 20W bulbs - 6400 K.

Be back soon with updates and photos.
Regards !

Cozias said:
you use 24W and you keep them far from the top 5 cm ? cuz mine are 22W and 20 W .. and now I'm using 6 lights for 5 plants, 2 22 W bulbs - 2700 K and 4 20W bulbs - 6400 K.

Wow, those are 22 W bulbs! They look like they're much bigger. Here's what my 24 watters look like:

24W CFL bulbs

SmallCFL.jpg

And yes, I keep them 5 cm (2 inches) away from my seedling. Move the lights closer and they will grow faster and stretch less.

3 days old
# 1
DSC_00538.JPG

DSC_005511.JPG

DSC_005210.JPG

DSC_005613.JPG

DSC_005412.JPG

DSC_005713.JPG

#1 and #2 look very nice by my opinion :laugh:
#1 with light
DSC_00619.JPG

#2 with light
DSC_005910.JPG

lights: * 4 cfl - 20W - 6500 K
* 2 cfl - 22W - 2700 K.

So far the story sound like this :

- germinated from 7 seeds I kept;
- using for germinate a glass of wather;
- all seeds who was soaking I've potted;
- mixed soil ph 5.5 - 6.5 (peat, perlite, etc )
- wather ph 6.8
- light - cfl
- veg stage, day 3
- 18-20 cm ( 8" ) top from the light

That's all for the moment. keep in touch as long I have updates.
All opinions, sugestions, questions, are welcome !

hey cozias, prepare yourself for some positive feedback, ok I see stretching already which means 8 inches is still too far away, try to bring the light closer, when using cfl's you can bring the light to 2 inches away from plant which will keep them from stretching. I also think you might need a little more perlite in the soil for a good drain when you water since you're using big pots, also since the pots are big and the plants are still small make sure not to overwater because the roots are still small and can't soak up alot of water. In pics #3,4 and 5 are the tips starting to yellow? Your water ph should be between 5.5 to 6.2, 6.8 is kind of high. Cfl bulbs give off light from the sides not the top the way yours are pointed so if possible turn bulbs so they are pointing at the walls ( will look like they are laying flat). Overall your setup looks great and you're on your way to a nice grow. Hope i'm being helpful:thumb:

tomorrow morning I'll move the light closer to see what's happening. and try to see how I put the cfl's by side. No ideea yet ... :laugh:
as for the leaf, they are like this since coming up :) .
till next week I don't have ph tester, thermometer, humidity indicator :rollingeyes:

thank you for the nice words ! and for giving me some tips ! coming up with new updates soon :)
Best regards !

Found my camera, behind the couch LOL. Here's my little veg room with CFL's and walls made out of old curtins I found in a box. So what the hell. I want some space blankits, They work really good. I beleave you have one cozias.
1_200_watt_CFL_s.JPG
Veggin3.JPG
Supper_Cropped.JPG
Next_Grow.JPG

I will drag out my grow box tonite and post pics of it so you can get an idea. I don't meen to brag or be a dick but, My veg room looks real nice.(anyone need clones) LOL.
I use to work in a botanical gardens on the coast. Really sweet job. Long time ago, I got to remember alot but it comes back to me. Now my grammer thats another story. I try. Anyways if you can grow tomatoes, then you can grow your meds. I like how I made use of my medical supply boxes. They make good planter boxes great for transplanting.

Cozias when you transplnt (hopfully soon) put the dirt all the way up to the shell leafs the very first set of leafs as soon as the seed cracks open and out comes the plant them leafs. I found it gives them strength in there first few weeks. Thats my opinion. Do what works for you K. Try not to start out with such big pots. Look at mine. Jiffy pots work best. Biodegradeable. Like I said, What works for you. :peace::goodjob:

Cozias when you transplnt (hopfully soon) put the dirt all the way up to the shell leafs the very first set of leafs as soon as the seed cracks open and out comes the plant them leafs. I found it gives them strength in there first few weeks. Thats my opinion. Do what works for you K. Try not to start out with such big pots. Look at mine. Jiffy pots work best. Biodegradeable. Like I said, What works for you. :peace::goodjob:

transplant? why so soon? I just put them in the pot... as for the part with the leafs, I didint understand.
and the pots aren't that big, 14 cm.

new updates
DSC_005211.JPG

DSC_00539.JPG

a lot of improvisation
DSC_005413.JPG

as I said the pot aren't that big
DSC_005512.JPG

the lights look far from the top, actually they are like 12 cm ( ~ 5")
DSC_005614.JPG

that all for the moment. coming up soon with new updates. waiting for some opinion

Back
Top Bottom