My First Time: AK47 & Gold Bar Kush

The ladies wanted their pictures taken again tonight.

20170222_222742.jpg

20170222_222738.jpg

We had brownies for dessert. It made me think of the ones that Sue makes.

20170222_191702.jpg

I will have to leave town on Sunday for a week and don't know if I should give them any nutes before I go or wait until I get back.

I picked up the fox farms trio for this grow and the other stuff is just so y'all will know what I have laying around to work with if needed. I think I have some miracle grow tomato bloom powder food around here also.

I'm tempted to give them 1/4 dose of the fox farms week 1 recommendation. Does that sound right?

Oh, the soil is miracle grow potting soil which I think has some nutes in it already. I mixed a bag of that with 8 quarts of perlite. They were just transplanted into that a couple days ago.

20170223_000627.jpg

Thanks Rad. I thought it was too early but was scared a week from now might be a little late.

I'm on page 9 of your journal. I bet that pic is coming in the next few pages. How old is she in that pic?

No Nutes, they are way too small.

Baby plants get baby food. In this case : soil, light and water.

See this girl. This was 1 week after I topped her and she got her first taste of nutes.

20170214_165016-1.jpg

Thanks Rad. I thought it was too early but was scared a week from now might be a little late.

I'm on page 9 of your journal. I bet that pic is coming in the next few pages. How old is she in that pic?

That pic is of Ace Mix - but it's the wrong photo - one from a few days ago. A real photo is this one from page 31.

In this photo, Ace Mix is top right and Lily is top left on their first day of 1/4 strength nutes. 40 days since seed broke ground.

20170206_140150-1.jpg

In my first 15 pages or so, my temps were low and the girls were vegging slowly, so my early girls weren't big enough to need nutes until after 50 days. I suppose I could give nutes as early as 30 days old, but it might only hurry up their flower by 3 days. If the girls get stressed by nutes too early it could slow down their flower by 10 days or more - so I am conservative in when I first give nutes.

I don't increase nutes to push them to grow bigger, I increase nutes to reward them for having already grown bigger. They are big enough to use more nutrition. Sort of like children, they get adult food when their palates have adult taste. I up the nutes AFTER they are in flower and growing 1/2 inch or more per day. It's like humans that get bottomless stomach when they are already near adult sized teenagers. The third hamburger can wait until they have the appetite to consume it :)

I will probably increase the nutes or their frequency after I get to used to Doc Bud's system. For now, my girls are growing well, with very few issues. It doesn't matter much how long they veg - since I have 2 spaces. As long as I have a full flower room and good buds, I don't care if the plants are 100 days old or 200 days old when they go into flower.

Wow. I had no idea that they could go that long before being given some nutes. That really puts me at ease.

That pic is of Ace Mix - but it's the wrong photo - one from a few days ago. A real photo is this one from page 31.

In this photo, Ace Mix is top right and Lily is top left on their first day of 1/4 strength nutes. 40 days since seed broke ground.

20170206_140150-1.jpg

In my first 15 pages or so, my temps were low and the girls were vegging slowly, so my early girls weren't big enough to need nutes until after 50 days. I suppose I could give nutes as early as 30 days old, but it might only hurry up their flower by 3 days. If the girls get stressed by nutes too early it could slow down their flower by 10 days or more - so I am conservative in when I first give nutes.

I don't increase nutes to push them to grow bigger, I increase nutes to reward them for having already grown bigger. They are big enough to use more nutrition. Sort of like children, they get adult food when their palates have adult taste. I up the nutes AFTER they are in flower and growing 1/2 inch or more per day. It's like humans that get bottomless stomach when they are already near adult sized teenagers. The third hamburger can wait until they have the appetite to consume it :)

I will probably increase the nutes or their frequency after I get to used to Doc Bud's system. For now, my girls are growing well, with very few issues. It doesn't matter much how long they veg - since I have 2 spaces. As long as I have a full flower room and good buds, I don't care if the plants are 100 days old or 200 days old when they go into flower.

I just took some pics of the girls. It seems like they are growing at a much faster rate than they had been.

I did add a small computer fan powered with an old cell phone charger a couple days ago and it has dropped the temp a couple degrees. It was 27c/81f and it dropped to 25c/77f.

I still haven't watered since transplant. There is no standing water in the bottom of the swick although it still feels damp. I'll add some before I leave town. The trip was delayed and I won't leave till Monday morning now.

20170225_131201.jpg

20170225_131217.jpg

20170225_131225.jpg

20170225_131235.jpg

20170225_131239.jpg

Doing good !

In the top photo (I moved it around) this girl is not growing above ground because most of her energy is growing good roots undergroud. There is enough energy from photosynthesizing the light to grow, but she needs to go down into the soil and seek out the nutrients and elements that will be building blocks for growth. She is sending the search parties through the soil to locate good stuff.

In the bottom photo, she has located the good stuff in the soil, now she needs more leaves to gather more light energy to power the machinery of fetching those nutrients and elements from the soil and beginning construction of new light harvesting leaves and stems above ground.

If the soil stays moist, she will continue to build above ground until she has used up all the elements and nutrients she has discovered.

If the soil is allowed to dry out, she will be forced to grow more and more roots in search of water - and incidentally locate several new sources of nutrients in the soil. As the roots spread she has access to almost all the elements and nutrition in the soil, more than she needs at this stage.

So if you run wet and dry cycles in veg you create this vast underground infrastructure - the bigger and better the root system, the more access she has to the building materials to grow above ground. She has built a large network of roots to efficiently transport those nutrients.

On 2/13 I tossed a plant into flower that was 12" tall and 24" wide.
On 2/24 She was 24" tall and 24" wide.
Because the lights are on a flowering cycle (11 on/13 off) most of that growth is focused on making buds.

If I did my wet dry cycles right, she has access to all the nutrients in the soil. I am giving her all the water, foliar spray, and nutes that she can handle so she can produce her best possible crop of buds.

This is my philosphy of watering.
I know you didn't ask for all this.

I'm going to repost it on my own grow thread, so others who didn't ask for it can read it too :)

Doing good !

In the top photo (I moved it around) this girl is not growing above ground because most of her energy is growing good roots undergroud. There is enough energy from photosynthesizing the light to grow, but she needs to go down into the soil and seek out the nutrients and elements that will be building blocks for growth. She is sending the search parties through the soil to locate good stuff.

In the bottom photo, she has located the good stuff in the soil, now she needs more leaves to gather more light energy to power the machinery of fetching those nutrients and elements from the soil and beginning construction of new light harvesting leaves and stems above ground.

If the soil stays moist, she will continue to build above ground until she has used up all the elements and nutrients she has discovered.

If the soil is allowed to dry out, she will be forced to grow more and more roots in search of water - and incidentally locate several new sources of nutrients in the soil. As the roots spread she has access to almost all the elements and nutrition in the soil, more than she needs at this stage.

So if you run wet and dry cycles in veg you create this vast underground infrastructure - the bigger and better the root system, the more access she has to the building materials to grow above ground. She has built a large network of roots to efficiently transport those nutrients.

Because the lights are on a flowering cycle (11 on/13 off) most of that growth is focused on making buds.

If I did my wet dry cycles right, she has access to all the nutrients in the soil. I am giving her all the water, foliar spray, and nutes that she can handle so she can produce her best possible crop of buds.

I'm going to repost it on my own grow thread, so others who didn't ask for it can read it too :)
It's all accurate and true though. Good job getting others to read it. It might change a few aspects of their growing healthy

Sent from my HTC One using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Doing good !

Sometimes we get more than we could have asked for. Thank you for taking the time to educate me and anybody else who reads this post. It gave me a good mental picture of what is happening and why.

I just checked the mail and some of the fabric pots arrived today. There are ten 3 gallon and six 5 gallon. Still waiting on the three 10 gallon. One of the 3 gallon is a different fabric than the rest.

20170225_164310.jpg

20170225_164334.jpg

I've also had this bubble cloner sitting around for a while waiting to be used. Maybe in another week or so I can try it out on the tomato plants.

20170225_164504.jpg

Thanks Rad.

I'm looking forward to it. I was thinking that I could flower several plants if I make some clones. Several plants from a seed seems like a good way to save money. Who knows, I might keep these around for a while as mothers. I guess I'll need to make a decision on which area/areas I'll end up growing in.

Congrats on your fabric pots !

Good find on the bubble cloner. In 30-40 days, you will have the opportunity to cut 4" off the top of your seedlings and clone them :)

Thanks Rad.

I'm looking forward to it. I was thinking that I could flower several plants if I make some clones. Several plants from a seed seems like a good way to save money. Who knows, I might keep these around for a while as mothers. I guess I'll need to make a decision on which area/areas I'll end up growing in.

I clone the seedling when I'm about to flower the seedling mother.
I clone the clone when I'm about to flower the clone.
. . .
If I decide I have a seedling I want more than that old clone of a clone - I replace it :)

Once I flower the first plant, my cloner is always on - I think I have 5 today (I just planted one :) )

I clone the seedling when I'm about to flower the seedling mother.
. . .
If I decide I have a seedling I want more than that old clone of a clone - I replace it :)

Once I flower the first plant, my cloner is always on - I think I have 5 today (I just planted one :) )

I just got caught up on your journal.

Love your grow and flower rooms. I've been thinking of doing something similar if I end up moving to my other property this summer and selling the house. That will be my first step in the long term plan of getting debt free and moving off grid.

It's easy to see how cloning can keep the flower room full.

I added some more perlite to the container and watered it in last night. It took a little over 3 gallons and could have taken more. I thought a deeper reservoir would be added insurance for when I have to leave. The trip got delayed again today.

Also raised the lights to 6" above the plants. I think they still look happy.

20170226_154049.jpg

Gold bar kush

20170226_153929.jpg

AK47

20170226_153905.jpg

I also started a swick for the seedlings that my daughter started. Kale, moss rose, and butterfly bush. The moss rose are so tiny that I didn't even notice them at first. The tomatoes still seems happy although the leaves seem to have an odd shape in a few places. Overall I'm happy with this light so far. Several colors, only draws 65 watts, and the plants are growing.

20170226_164415.jpg

Sometimes we get more than we could have asked for. Thank you for taking the time to educate me and anybody else who reads this post. It gave me a good mental picture of what is happening and why.

I blogged it. He's amazingly talented at this art of explaining. :battingeyelashes: :love: Wanted to give you reps for that too Rad, but I jumped the gun a couple posts earlier.

Back
Top Bottom