My First Time: AK47 & Gold Bar Kush

One more day in Michigan and then I'll be able to have a look and see how they've done on the swick this week.

I'm looking forward to this too. They should be fine. The additional perlite was a great idea. They won't be pulling much, but that way you were covering all the bases. :high-five:

I made it home about an hour ago and I'm very pleased with how the girls have grown. They are 22 and 19 days old if I'm counting correctly. It has been a 20 hour day so I could be off a little.

20170305_014158.jpg

AK47 seems huge compared to how she was 6 days ago. She even has roots showing in the cutout at the bottom of the pot.

20170305_014102.jpg

20170305_014108.jpg

20170305_014120.jpg

Gold Bar Kush has grown quite a bit also. I think I see small roots showing from her pot also. I will check tomorrow. She is a couple days younger than her sister. She is showing a light area on one leaf though.

20170305_014127.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased that I was able to leave for a few days and not worry too much about them. The swick performed perfectly. There is still 1/4" of water in the bottom and the perlite still feels damp.

Your girls look good. :) I'd say they did some good growing while you were away :)

AK47 looks big enough to start feeding her low strength nutrients next water cycle. She can go a few more days without watering.
She is also old enough, and growing vibrantly enough, that you can start thinking/talking about training.

I don't think you've mentioned how tall an area you have. How high above the soil (of your bigger pots) can you raise your lights?

Gold Bar Kush is looking pretty good - but you should take a close look at that leaf with the light patch. Look at the bottom as well as the top of the leaf. Some kind of insect may be chewing on that leaf. (Wash your hands with soap after checking.)

Your girls look good. :) I'd say they did some good growing while you were away :)

AK47 looks big enough to start feeding her low strength nutrients next water cycle. She can go a few more days without watering.
She is also old enough, and growing vibrantly enough, that you can start thinking/talking about training.

I don't think you've mentioned how tall an area you have. How high above the soil (of your bigger pots) can you raise your lights?

Gold Bar Kush is looking pretty good - but you should take a close look at that leaf with the light patch. Look at the bottom as well as the top of the leaf. Some kind of insect may be chewing on that leaf. (Wash your hands with soap after checking.)

Thanks Rad. I'm excited at how much they have grown.

I'll plan on adding a very low dose of nutes in a few days when she dries out. Should I also plan on moving her into her final pot at the same time?

I would like to take a couple clones of each and put them into flower them early so I can have a preview at what they will be like. I'm not sure when/where to take cuttings and what training should be done so any suggestions are welcomed.

I'm cleaning out the corner of the closet to make into my flower area. I can use all 8 feet but it would be easier to just hang the lights at 6'6" since there is already wire shelving there. I was thinking of putting the exhaust fan and carbon filter on the shelf and hanging the light below it. I have several of the shiny survival blankets to line the walls with. I've started clearing out that part of the closet today but I'm not getting much done since I'm so tired from the trip.

I looked at both sides of that leaf closely and don't see any marking or insects. Should I use the loupe to look closer?

I have started on the flower closet. If I don't get distracted I'll have some pics of the work in progress soon,

I put up a piece of plywood on top of the shelf, found a short adjustable shower curtain rod to put just below that and will do something to anchor it with more than friction, and have just got out the space blankets to start putting up.

I worked on the flower closet between distractions. Got three sides lined with the shiny stuff and hung a couple of lights in there temporarily to see how it looks.

IMG_20170305_181707.jpg

IMG_20170305_181727.jpg

20170305_212538.jpg

20170305_212502.jpg

It shouldn't be a problem having it ready in time. I stopped there because I was thinking about cutting a plywood door or something and haven't decided yet. Still lots of sealing and taping to do plus getting the fan and carbon filter set up.

I'd forgotten to mention earlier, you are aware that one of the best reflective surfaces is an ultra-white flat paint? I find that easier to deal with than the safety blankets.

I'd forgotten to mention earlier, you are aware that one of the best reflective surfaces is an ultra-white flat paint? I find that easier to deal with than the safety blankets.

I had read that flat white paint was good and I even have some here. I think it is ceiling white. Didn't want to paint then paint again when I'm ready to sell this place. Hmmmm. Paint might be easier if I make a plywood door though.

Thanks Rad. I'm excited at how much they have grown.

I'll plan on adding a very low dose of nutes in a few days when she dries out. Should I also plan on moving her into her final pot at the same time?

Growth is exiting. Go away for a week again and you can be excited again. :) Plants grow slower than paint dries :rofl:

Is your soil moist when you lightly scrape the top?
If YES, I would wait to let roots grow more.
If NO, since your final pots are deeper, I would transplant both so they have more room to grow roots.

I would like to take a couple clones of each and put them into flower them early so I can have a preview at what they will be like. I'm not sure when/where to take cuttings and what training should be done so any suggestions are welcomed.

For your AK47 clone, I would let her grow about 3" taller, then take your clone of about 4" right off the top (above a good pair of branches) for doing the early flower.

Gold Bar Kush hasn't really made a shape yet - but probably the same thing. I like taking a large clone from the top budsite - it grows faster and more evenly :)

The size of your clone depends a bit on your cloning method. I suggest a bucket (splash) cloner, a bubble cloner, or LembaToast's baggie and breath method.

I looked at both sides of that leaf closely and don't see any marking or insects. Should I use the loupe to look closer?[/QUOTE

Good - It's probably OK just to watch it for a couple of days.
If it stays the same - great!
If it grows a little bigger, cut off that lobe of the leaf between the light patch and the stem, throw it away and wash hands and scissors with soap.
If it skips to another leaf, you will probably need to start a treatment.

I'm cleaning out the corner of the closet to make into my flower area. I can use all 8 feet but it would be easier to just hang the lights at 6'6" since there is already wire shelving there. I was thinking of putting the exhaust fan and carbon filter on the shelf and hanging the light below it. I have several of the shiny survival blankets to line the walls with. I've started clearing out that part of the closet today but I'm not getting much done since I'm so tired from the trip.

6'6" is plenty of height for the size pots you have - especially if you want to do a bit of training.

Your next training decision is how high you want to train your plants. Most of my experience is with a starting canopy between 16-24" high. Since you have 2 plants, it's sort of a decision based on how those two girls grow. This grow, the way the girls have been growing, I'm aiming for canopies about 12-14" tall. The shorter canopies grow less different than I expected :)

I worked on the flower closet between distractions. Got three sides lined with the shiny stuff and hung a couple of lights in there temporarily to see how it looks.

20170305_212538.jpg

It shouldn't be a problem having it ready in time. I stopped there because I was thinking about cutting a plywood door or something and haven't decided yet. Still lots of sealing and taping to do plus getting the fan and carbon filter set up.

It looks like you had more energy than you thought :)

I'm less concerned about reflective surfaces than others. I'd paint a plywood door white, but your shiny walls are OK as long as your leaves don't get burnt. I've heard that shiny walls can reflect too much of a bright light.

For my own rooms I painted the brick walls to control dust and crumbling brick. As long as I was painting, I went with a flat white primer. My plywood doors and some walls are still just plywood :)

Growth is exiting. Go away for a week again and you can be excited again. :) Plants grow slower than paint dries :rofl:

Is your soil moist when you lightly scrape the top?
If YES, I would wait to let roots grow more.
If NO, since your final pots are deeper, I would transplant both so they have more room to grow roots.

For your AK47 clone, I would let her grow about 3" taller, then take your clone of about 4" right off the top (above a good pair of branches) for doing the early flower.

Gold Bar Kush hasn't really made a shape yet - but probably the same thing. I like taking a large clone from the top budsite - it grows faster and more evenly :)

The size of your clone depends a bit on your cloning method. I suggest a bucket (splash) cloner, a bubble cloner, or LembaToast's baggie and breath method.

Good - It's probably OK just to watch it for a couple of days.
If it stays the same - great!
If it grows a little bigger, cut off that lobe of the leaf between the light patch and the stem, throw it away and wash hands and scissors with soap.
If it skips to another leaf, you will probably need to start a treatment.

6'6" is plenty of height for the size pots you have - especially if you want to do a bit of training.

Your next training decision is how high you want to train your plants. Most of my experience is with a starting canopy between 16-24" high. Since you have 2 plants, it's sort of a decision based on how those two girls grow. This grow, the way the girls have been growing, I'm aiming for canopies about 12-14" tall. The shorter canopies grow less different than I expected :)

It looks like you had more energy than you thought :)

I'm less concerned about reflective surfaces than others. I'd paint a plywood door white, but your shiny walls are OK as long as your leaves don't get burnt. I've heard that shiny walls can reflect too much of a bright light.

For my own rooms I painted the brick walls to control dust and crumbling brick. As long as I was painting, I went with a flat white primer. My plywood doors and some walls are still just plywood :)

It was exciting to see all the growth when I came back.

The soil is dry on top. I can see the line of dampness 2/3 down the pots. I picked up the AK47 last night and there was the tap root about three inches down into the swick. I can see the soil bulging in the slots of the pot on GBK and expect to see roots any day.

I will try to follow your advice and let them grow before taking any cuttings. I will be using a bubble cloner when it's time.

I can't see that the spot on that leaf has spread any tonight. I'll keep watching it closely.

I really don't know how I want to train them yet. This being my first grow I was tempted to go natural, but will try whatever is likely to give a better/bigger harvest.

I will go with white paint on the plywood then and not worry about making everything shiny. This room is only for a few months until I get the new place finished. The new place will have a 4' x 8' room accessed by a hidden door. I'll paint that area for sure.

I've been exhausted since I got back. It took all day yesterday to do that little bit I could have done in a few minutes. I should feel better in another day or so.

Sounds great.

Rest up a little.

Up pot into larger pots when ready.

To train or not to train? Anyone want to weigh in with advice ?

Thanks. I had a great nap after work tonight. I woke up thinking it was the next morning and I was late for work. Lol

I plan on moving them into the larger pots tomorrow. The swick is getting dry enough that not much perlite sticks to my fingers. The plants seem happy and aren't starting to droop yet. I think they will be plenty dry by tomorrow.

I'm leaning toward using the 10 gal bags instead of the 5 gal. I can fit one of the 10 gal in the swick pan, so I'll have to get a second pan. Two pans happen to fit perfectly in the flower area I'm working on. I'll have to be out out town another time or two so two pans seems like it'll be better.

I took a few minutes tonight and repotted the plants. Of course I ran out of soil before the 10 gallon pots were full. They must have all they need for now. I hope y'all like lots of pics.

First was AK47. She has been working on her roots.

20170308_203924.jpg

20170308_204018.jpg

20170308_204105.jpg

20170308_204320.jpg

Gold Bar Kush is running a little behind but is a couple days younger.

20170308_204526.jpg

20170308_204636.jpg

20170308_204815.jpg

I finished up by mixing up 1 tbsp of big bloom in a gallon of water and splitting it between them, then followed it up with another half gallon each. I think that works out to 1/4 strength. I also put a couple gallons of water in the swick. They both don't quite fit in the pan and are leaning a bit, so I will have to get another one soon.

20170308_212836.jpg

20170308_212902.jpg

20170308_212842.jpg

I have two cheap pH meters and ppm meters. I think the pH needs calibrated because the reading went up on one and down on the other after adding the nutes. The ppm of the water was 64 and 67, and went up to 167 and 170 after adding the nutes.

Lets hope I did this correctly.

I suggest you back off on watering the SWICK while the plants are building new roots in the bigger pots. The pots alone will water these girls for more than a week.

After 4-5 days they will finish the water close to the roots and grow new roots searching for water. If the SWICK keeps the soil moist, the roots won't go searching. You might not need to water for 3 weeks or more as the roots find new water in the far reaches of the new pot.

I suggest you back off on watering the SWICK while the plants are building new roots in the bigger pots. The pots alone will water these girls for more than a week.

After 4-5 days they will finish the water close to the roots and grow new roots searching for water. If the SWICK keeps the soil moist, the roots won't go searching. You might not need to water for 3 weeks or more as the roots find new water in the far reaches of the new pot.

Thanks Rad. That'll actually be easier because I don't have the second swick pan yet and these pots don't both fit in there so they aren't making good contact anyway. I'll lift them away from the swick for a few days and keep an eye on them.

Nice work so far I've used those led shop lights in my breeding box for over a year now produced some good seed too. And I definitely agree with rad I used what I learned as sip trays/ swick tray with a gravity feed so I didn't have to keep topping it up, but I didn't add them until flower when root development is slowed to a crawl so wet dry cycles matter a whole lot less.

Back
Top Bottom