My First Time: AK47 & Gold Bar Kush

I removed the wires tonight and got a few pics. I don't think the AK47 is upset and GBK is trying her best to get bigger. They both seem to be growing a lot faster over the past few days.

20170313_184921.jpg

20170313_184927.jpg

20170313_184933.jpg

20170313_184950.jpg

It's been about four days since the topping and AK47 seems happy as far as I can tell. GBK seems like she hit a growth spurt and isn't so small compared to AK lately. The light area on one of the leaves hasn't got any bigger, but I do see a couple of leaves with brown tips down low.

20170316_182135.jpg

20170316_181955.jpg

20170316_182023.jpg

The clones are also 4 days in the bubble cloner and seem to be doing ok also.

20170316_181856.jpg

I've also done a little more work in the closet. Bought two trays and filled them with perlite, Then put a couple gallons of water in each one so the moisture will have time to spread. I'm thinking about moving the plants in there tonight so I can watch them for a couple days. I have to leave town again this weekend and might be gone for two weeks.

20170315_205911.jpg

I was thinking I should move them tonight, give them some nutes, and watch them to make sure things are ok for the next couple days. I would worry about them going dry for too long if I didn't put them on the swick. I'd also like to top GBK before I leave so at least I'll have clones in the cloner just in case. Not sure if she's going to be ready for a topping by then.

You are rocking it big time!

Your plants look great. Nice big SWICKs.

If it were me i'd fill up the SWICKs, give your plants some nutes, then put your pots on plates over the SWICKs - so they are sitting in position, but not drinking the water yet.

With lights, SWICK, plants, fans, etc you will be able to get good temp and humidity readings and see how things will run while you are away.

When you set up the lights, remember that if you are gone for 2 weeks, your girls may grow 4" taller (or more) while you are away.

Such lovely greenery - you are rocking it!

Thanks Rad. I appreciate it.

I think the only flaw in the plan so far is finding two plates big enough for those 16 inch diameter pots. I'll try a couple of old dinner plates and hope for the best.

I'm also debating on which lights to use. They are currently under 88 watts of those cheap flood lights. Two 50 watt and one 30 watt. I can't decide if I should hang 3 or 4 of the 50 watt and keep them higher or go ahead and use one of the mars lights. The flood lights would be less watts at around 99 to 132 if I use all 6500k or a little less if I mix in some 3500k. The small mars is 140 watt but seems to run hotter than the flood lights and has a couple of leds that need replaced (I was hoping to replace those before putting it into service). Maybe I'll spend the evening seeing what looks good after the plants are in there.

Thanks Rad. I appreciate it.

I think the only flaw in the plan so far is finding two plates big enough for those 16 inch diameter pots. I'll try a couple of old dinner plates and hope for the best.

I'm also debating on which lights to use. They are currently under 88 watts of those cheap flood lights. Two 50 watt and one 30 watt. I can't decide if I should hang 3 or 4 of the 50 watt and keep them higher or go ahead and use one of the mars lights. The flood lights would be less watts at around 99 to 132 if I use all 6500k or a little less if I mix in some 3500k. The small mars is 140 watt but seems to run hotter than the flood lights and has a couple of leds that need replaced (I was hoping to replace those before putting it into service). Maybe I'll spend the evening seeing what looks good after the plants are in there.

The lights you have are enough light. You don't want to have to fight high temps when you are away, so it makes sense to move something similar to what is working into the new area. Try out the Mars LEDs wen you are there to observe and make changes.

Forget about the plate, if you are watering in nutes you might as well fully water afterwards with the SWICKs.

I moved them out of the bathroom, added a gallon and a half of soil to each pot, gave them each a half gallon of full strength week 1 nutes, added 3 gallons of water to each swick, and placed them in their new home. I'll monitor temps over the next couple hours and to see what size fans I will need. I have several 80mm and 140mm computer fans and a 12v power supply to run them.

20170316_201438.jpg

20170316_215003.jpg

20170316_215008.jpg

What are the fans intended to do? Move air or control temps? If just move air, it shouldn't take more than you have now.

The Mars-Hydro panels do run hot, so I'm pleased you've taken Rad's advice - and how helpful a companion is he, eh? Well done Rad. :high-five: I got a good laugh that you figured out how to train the girls better. That sounded like something that would have come out of my mouth. :laughtwo:

Two weeks........ yeowch!!! Thankfully, they're at a stage where you should have every expectation that they'll survive and rebound beautifully. I'll be sending them supporting energy every time I think of it. That'll be every day. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Up till now I have just used the two small fans to give them a couple hours of breeze a day. I plan to continue that. I have the bigger ones ready just in case I need them to control temps.

I've been hesitant to run the mars panels much until I repair them. I'd hate to do more damage being impatient. The repair parts should show up while I'm away.

Rad has been a great buddy. I'm so glad that he took an interest in me and my grow. Glad that you have too. :hug::hug::hug:

What are the fans intended to do? Move air or control temps? If just move air, it shouldn't take more than you have now.

The Mars-Hydro panels do run hot, so I'm pleased you've taken Rad's advice - and how helpful a companion is he, eh? Well done Rad. :high-five: I got a good laugh that you figured out how to train the girls better. That sounded like something that would have come out of my mouth. :laughtwo:

Two weeks........ yeowch!!! Thankfully, they're at a stage where you should have every expectation that they'll survive and rebound beautifully. I'll be sending them supporting energy every time I think of it. That'll be every day. :battingeyelashes: :love:

Good numbers 77F and 52% RH

Sounds like you have your setup well tuned :)

I think I got lucky and hit a combination that they are responding well to. I expected to have to adjust something but haven't so far. The dose of nutes, sitting on the swicks, and a little more light must be what they wanted. It looks like they have each taken a little over a gallon from the swicks. The lights are currently 3 of the 50 watt cob floods for a total of 99 watts measured with a kill a watt. The temp and humidity are staying constant whether the closet door is open or closed.

I just looked in on them and they seem so full of energy. AK47 looks like she is trying to bush out and Gold Bar Kush has her leaf tips pointed up for the first time and is growing quickly. I'll get some pics later today after they've had a few more hours to express their happiness.

They have worked hard collecting light and growing today. Leaf tips aren't pointed upwards like they were this morning but I'm still pleased.

First up is AK47

20170318_222531.jpg

20170318_222542.jpg

Gold Bar Kush should be able to get topped and the top put in the cloner before I leave town. I'm tempted to do it tonight.

20170318_222547.jpg

20170318_222555.jpg

They have both taken most of the water from the swicks but the soil is plenty damp. I wish I knew if this was going to be two trips in two weeks or one long trip for the whole two weeks. Knowing if I can check on them next weekend would help my comfort level.

Did you refill the SWICK?

The fast uptake of water is because the SWICK likes to keep the soil at 'just watered' moisture levels. Your girls won't need water for 7-15 days WITHOUT the SWICK. With the SWICK, at this size, they can easily last a month.

They may be begging for nutes when you get back (probably not because they just got new soil,) but they won't be in need of water.

Did you refill the SWICK?

The fast uptake of water is because the SWICK likes to keep the soil at 'just watered' moisture levels. Your girls won't need water for 7-15 days WITHOUT the SWICK. With the SWICK, at this size, they can easily last a month.

They may be begging for nutes when you get back (probably not because they just got new soil,) but they won't be in need of water.

I didn't refill the swick yet. I was waiting to see what your thoughts were. It sounds like I should Maybe put another gallon in each swick just in case I'm gone the whole two weeks.

Should I get some time release nutes to carry them through while I'm gone?

I didn't refill the swick yet. I was waiting to see what your thoughts were. It sounds like I should Maybe put another gallon in each swick just in case I'm gone the whole two weeks.

Top your SWICK off to 1" below the perlite surface before you leave.

Should I get some time release nutes to carry them through while I'm gone?

No need. These plants have been in 10 gallons pots for what, 10 days. There is nutrition in the soil to hold them.

I have grown several plants from seed to harvest with just water, worm castings, and soil from a previous grow - not my best plants - but still some fine smoke.

In general, less is more - unless the plants start to complain, then a little more is better.

The girls looked happy again this morning.

20170319_103133.jpg

20170319_103125.jpg

So I decided to go ahead and top Gold Bar Kush.

20170319_121143.jpg

20170319_121248.jpg

And I put the top in the cloner. The leaves that I trimmed went in there also to see what happens.

20170319_121825.jpg

I'm hoping to have at least two clones ready for soil in a couple weeks. If there are more, then I have an outdoor spot picked to put one or two.

Back
Top Bottom