Need Help! Unsure of problem

Hyp3rPh33r

Here are a couple pictures of my Aurora Indica Plant, it's been almost nearly a week since I started it's flowering period and then it begins to look like this, idk what it could possibly be.

IMG_20130806_110751_zps35676367.jpg

IMG_20130806_112326_zpsea84a590.jpg

IMG_20130806_112234_zpsec5c3c6b.jpg

As you can see the tips of the leaves are browning and curling, The leaves look rather rough almost like paper.

I have my plant growing in sand and on occasions give it some 10-10-10 fert as I'm still somewhat new, and as well it is getting 12/12 hr.s or light and darkness

Any and all advice is appreciated

I see what looks like multiple problems, not just one. The pics are a bit blurry so i cant be 100% but I see

Nute toxicity
Powdery mildew
spider mite or thrip damage
and maybe even light burn (did the plants get sprayed while lights where on?)

looks like it also might have a light leak issue.Is their any other light getting to the plants other than the grow lamp?Even a little bit of light in its dark period can stress a plant.:)

"I have my plant growing in sand"

Zinc deficiency. Sand by itself is not a good growing medium as it has an extremely narrow cation exchange capacity. If you want to grow hydro, pick a medium such as clay pellets, coco coir or just plain water. If you want to grow in soil, you need the other components of soil, too.

@Kpc Organic: I'm currently flushing it as we speak

@jimmy cricket: I haven't read much of spider-mites or the powdery mildew but a leaf did get light burn once. i tend to or atleast try to keep my light three to four inches away from the plant, but working only with a 65watt bulb, its hard(yes I know, some say its way too weak but I've grown several plants from such a low wattage.)

@solocup: I'll be sure to check the surrounding area and close off any spots with trash bags or a black tarp

@Scientific Soil: So why don't I just buy some zinc, i really wasn't trying to go for Hydro, more closer to soil than anything but I'm really cautious about my soil. I mean should I transplant it into soil. Tbh I think its too late to transplant as it's already showing its pistils

If you can,Maybe put a few cfl lights in with it.2700 kelvin warm white will help with flowering.I personally would put a daylight 5000k or 6500k bulb in for good measure.Just a thought:)

@Scientific Soils: Like how would I get my hands on some Zinc, I've never had to buy it before so idk what I'm doing lol

@solocup: Amazon: MaxLite MLS13GUWW (11279) 13-watt 2700K GU24 Self-Ballast CFL Lamp, Warm White How is this?

1667094525749.png

Well, pennies are made of zinc, so you can drop a couple into a glass of water and lemon juice to extract some, however, I don't recommend you do this. I also see some exceptionally dark leaves with spots in the photo which indicates a need for P, too.

My suggestion would be to add all micros at the same time, otherwise it gets like a game of whack-a-mole--you fix one then another pops up (see Liebig's Law of the Minimum). You said you were growing in sand and adding nutes. Most likely you have all the nutes you need but the sand is not holding them--it's an ion exchange problem. That's why I think you should put the plant in soil or potting mix. Good luck!

My suggestion would be to add all micros at the same time, otherwise it gets like a game of whack-a-mole--you fix one then another pops up (see Liebig's Law of the Minimum).

I learned the name of something that I have known for a long time - great reference.

i agree, potting soil is your best option, you can pick this up very cheap, most big super markets sell some compost thats ideal for tomatos, go for anything like that,

check the underside of your leaves for little black spots that look like pepper,
i can just see it getting worse unless the grow medium is sorted out,

Ok so if I transplant my plant in new soil, how can I test the new soil for nutes that it may already have or may not have? Also Soils, why would you not recommend the penny trick? Secondly would you recommend me getting your grower's mix soil?

Ok so if I transplant my plant in new soil, how can I test the new soil for nutes that it may already have or may not have? Also Soils, why would you not recommend the penny trick? Secondly would you recommend me getting your grower's mix soil?

Hi, of course I am here to promote my soil, but I am not going to tell anyone here that they need to go out and buy it. I'd rather that decision come from the consumer.

Soil testing is done by a number of private outfits such as A&L (and they are very good), but most state universities (esp land-grant) have an ag extension office that will do this too. Cost is usually about $20 for a fairly comprehensive analysis. The thing with soil testing though is that test results have to be taken with a grain of salt. Sample sizes are small so it's best to conduct a series and average results. This makes it impractical for most growers. I test every batch and have what I believe to be the tightest mixing tolerance in the industry so when I get test results back I can tell if things are in line or not. The test results for the current batch are posted on my site under analyses > March 13. But, having said all of that, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you buy a reputable brand and there are 3-4 good ones on the marketplace.

I don't recommend the penny trick because, as I mentioned earlier, you will end up chasing your tail. It's a good trick if you KNOW it's the ONLY thing deficient. YOu have more than that going on. You'll fix zinc then boron or some other nute will pop up. There are 17 known nutes (if we include carbon) the plant gets from soil, so you can see why I think it's better to just tackle it all at once rather than try to figure out each one individually.

The number one problem I solve for growers is the over-fondling problem. People cannot seem to resist making rapid adjustments, adding nute to soil, flushing soil, over-watering, moving, changing light color, light source, etc. The plant needs time to respond to any one of those things so the variables quickly get out of hand and a bad feedback loop starts. Just get a good brand of soil and give the plant time to react, you'll be ok!

Back
Top Bottom