New Grower! - 5 Gallon DWC - 184W CFL - Mystery Strain - 2014

3 plants in one 5 gallon dwc this I gotta see gonna be a monster bush.

As the saying goes, "Go big or go home" I never do anything half measure. 3 plants = 3 times the knowledge I'll learn when I totally screw it...:volcano-smiley:

EDIT**
I just checked on the little guys and the 2 that were in the towel look a little better. They were really brown and limp before. They are starting to get a little green already and perking up just a tad. Let them go a full 24 before I take anymore pics, but it looks okay. I think I should have placed them a little deeper in the Hydroton however. There is a bit more sticking up than I really need and getting those roots closer to the water can only help. We'll see how they do though.

Looks like you're on your way to having some great home grown medicine. I love seeing that taproot poke its head out the bottom of that pellet. I say head, because plants keep their head in the ground, and their sex organs up in the breeze. Oh, to be a plant. Anywho.

Good thinking on using an old PSU for powering fans. They've got clean DC power (meant to run computers, better be nice steady direct current, lol), and their own cooling system. Keep it dust-free, though, mate. Just don't get shocked, the caps inside retain a bit of juice, even after unplugging. A 300-400w PSU can bite. ;) Case fans can be great, especially with their low current draw. Their strength is in numbers, though, as they often don't push a whole lot of air. I've got 5 or 6 in my closet right now. If there's one thing I'd upgrade today, that wouldn't cost a fortune, though, it'd be fans. Right now all my fans are 120mm, and I really wish I had 200+mm fans. With a dozen of the same exact bulbs you have, my closet can get very warm (90+).

Subscribed. All the best to you.

:goodjob:

Looks like you're on your way to having some great home grown medicine. I love seeing that taproot poke its head out the bottom of that pellet. I say head, because plants keep their head in the ground, and their sex organs up in the breeze. Oh, to be a plant. Anywho.

Good thinking on using an old PSU for powering fans. They've got clean DC power (meant to run computers, better be nice steady direct current, lol), and their own cooling system. Keep it dust-free, though, mate. Just don't get shocked, the caps inside retain a bit of juice, even after unplugging. A 300-400w PSU can bite. ;) Case fans can be great, especially with their low current draw. Their strength is in numbers, though, as they often don't push a whole lot of air. I've got 5 or 6 in my closet right now. If there's one thing I'd upgrade today, that wouldn't cost a fortune, though, it'd be fans. Right now all my fans are 120mm, and I really wish I had 200+mm fans. With a dozen of the same exact bulbs you have, my closet can get very warm (90+).

Subscribed. All the best to you.

:goodjob:

Thank you so much for stopping by! I am actually a PC tech and have just started my own little shop from home. Hence all the xtra PC parts. I have had an experience with getting "bit" by a Psu. As far as the fans themselves I have are 80mm I think and [ush about 31CFM each. Even if they are small, you can find some that will still push some good air. I think because they are so small though, you may have to be more exact in where you place them, or like you said, making a big panel instead. I actually like that idea. I love to use Newegg.com for all my parts. Shopping between them and Amazon will usually get you a better deal than anything you can find local. Unless you happen to know a shop that holds on to old fans.(not likely)

I have noticed more heat just from adding the second bulb. I think it has more to do with the cover around the light is actually trapping heat and keeping it in close. For now, it's okay, cause the temps here are dropping outside which means a little cooler inside, even with the heat on. I am very curious to see what kind of heat I am pushing once I have my planned setup installed.

Plus, I still need to make some sort of door to keep the light contained. Not so much for privacy, but because it is going to be very bright and the closet is about 5 feet from my bed. Right now it's like having a night light. Later it will be more like an airport runway...lol Hope you keep on watching and enjoy!!!
:volcano-smiley::Namaste:

Airport runway, indeed. Very familiar, due to my own heat issues, and leaving door open. Got a box fan blowing in through the open door now, in fact. Been needing to do some major modifications to my grow space.

I have noticed most of the heat in the CFLs coming from the plastic case, as well. I haven't attempted to remove the covers, though, as already some of the glass tubes are wobbley, and I really don't want to break the leads. I might have a dead bulb to try it on. Not a good way to see if one will still work, though...I may try it on a live bulb, and if I do, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I had a think today, about hooking up a bank of CPU fans to a computer. Basically, hook one up to a mobo's aux fan header, where it'll monitor the temp at the fan. Have that fan control a bunch of other fans, hooked up to separate supply. Another project I'll try, and keep ya posted on. ;)

Airport runway, indeed. Very familiar, due to my own heat issues, and leaving door open. Got a box fan blowing in through the open door now, in fact. Been needing to do some major modifications to my grow space.

I have noticed most of the heat in the CFLs coming from the plastic case, as well. I haven't attempted to remove the covers, though, as already some of the glass tubes are wobbley, and I really don't want to break the leads. I might have a dead bulb to try it on. Not a good way to see if one will still work, though...I may try it on a live bulb, and if I do, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I had a think today, about hooking up a bank of CPU fans to a computer. Basically, hook one up to a mobo's aux fan header, where it'll monitor the temp at the fan. Have that fan control a bunch of other fans, hooked up to separate supply. Another project I'll try, and keep ya posted on. ;)

Good luck on breaking apart one of those lights. Wear gloves brother!!

As far as the fans go, you could even buy a fan controller that would just plug into the Psu, and then run ur fans off the controller. then if you get variable speed fans, you can adjust them for increased or decreased airflow, depending on what you need. I actually rigged up a similar system for a friends spider and snake tanks. It would get really hot and he needed a way to just circulate the air a little to avoid hot spots in the tanks. Rigged it up with like 4 fans per tank and never had another problem. He could crank it up on hot days and lower it on cooler days. The lizard used to chill right where the breeze was strongest. Funniest shit I ever saw was we put glasses on the lizard with a scarf and a cutout of a car and it looked like he was cruising down the highway. I wish I still had that pic. LMFAO!!!

I checked on the little ones and all 3 look great!!:yahoo: The 2 that were looking pretty brown and limp yesterday are looking green and firm now. Have been spraying every couple hours with Ph balanced water and it seems to be doing the trick. They all have at least their second set of leaves now and the one has already got it's 3rd coming in. Will post some pics later when they have shown a little more stability.

I think I should have placed them deeper for sure. But I left room in the net pot for some more hydroton, so I can add more if I need to. So far so good I guess. I did however have one thought. So if 2 come in female and one comes in male, I need to chop the male out before it can do the nasty to my ladies. But, what about the roots that will have already been established? Is this going to give me problems with root rot? I was thinking about that last night before I crashed. Any input would be super grateful guys!!!

On a side not, I found more smilies!!!!:allgood::woohoo:

Hey Khraevyn,
Welcome to 420.This remind's me a lot of my first grow.:)
I think your on the right path and got some awesome member's here already.:goodjob:
My first grow was also in a closet.Just a bit smaller then your's.
One of the biggest challenge's I had was keeping the temp's down.I found what work's best is to try and get out as much of the hot air as you can.Here's a link to my first journal(closet grow).It will explain better as I really can't remember exact temp's and what not but I ended up with a 600w hps and 6in hole going in to the attic.lol
Jimmy6k First Attempt - Closet Grow
Im subbed and will help when ever I can.:high-five:

J6k:joint:

Hey Khraevyn,
Welcome to 420.This remind's me a lot of my first grow.:)
I think your on the right path and got some awesome member's here already.:goodjob:
My first grow was also in a closet.Just a bit smaller then your's.
One of the biggest challenge's I had was keeping the temp's down.I found what work's best is to try and get out as much of the hot air as you can.Here's a link to my first journal(closet grow).It will explain better as I really can't remember exact temp's and what not but I ended up with a 600w hps and 6in hole going in to the attic.lol
Jimmy6k First Attempt - Closet Grow
Im subbed and will help when ever I can.:high-five:

J6k:joint:

Thanks for joining the discussion brother!! :welcome:

I will check out your journal for sure. :thanks: for sharing the link. I have been looking for similar grows so you have helped me greatly there friend. I am most likely going to go CFL for the whole grow, but I have been curious about the TOPLED options.:hmmmm: I just need to convince the wife of the benefits. She's not likely to agree to one of those guys until I get at least one harvest in. Hopefully then, she'll be too high to care!:rofl:

For my space, I'm pretty sure HPS is not going to be an option though. I don't want to have to deal with all that heat. I guess we'll see how it goes with CFL's. I have high hopes.:ganjamon:

I checked on the little ones and all 3 look great!!:yahoo: The 2 that were looking pretty brown and limp yesterday are looking green and firm now. Have been spraying every couple hours with Ph balanced water and it seems to be doing the trick. They all have at least their second set of leaves now and the one has already got it's 3rd coming in. Will post some pics later when they have shown a little more stability.

I think I should have placed them deeper for sure. But I left room in the net pot for some more hydroton, so I can add more if I need to. So far so good I guess. I did however have one thought. So if 2 come in female and one comes in male, I need to chop the male out before it can do the nasty to my ladies. But, what about the roots that will have already been established? Is this going to give me problems with root rot? I was thinking about that last night before I crashed. Any input would be super grateful guys!!!

On a side not, I found more smilies!!!!:allgood::woohoo:

I don't do hydro,but I don't think it's a good Idea to grow all three in one bucket.Even if all are female,Id be worried they would fight(the roots)and one is going to die anyway.I would keep it super simple(K.I.S.S).Stick to just one big girl.We just need to figure out a way for you to keep all three alive and separated until you can weed out the male's,if any and pick your best girl.
I also understand how hard it is starting out.Stick to it and more importantly,stick around here.You can't go wrong.
Little thing's that seem a bit pricey right now,will be nothing after you get a success full harvest or two.
Also Lemon juice is another thing you can use to lower your Ph.

I don't do hydro,but I don't think it's a good Idea to grow all three in one bucket.Even if all are female,Id be worried they would fight(the roots)and one is going to die anyway.I would keep it super simple(K.I.S.S).Stick to just one big girl.We just need to figure out a way for you to keep all three alive and separated until you can weed out the male's,if any and pick your best girl.
I also understand how hard it is starting out.Stick to it and more importantly,stick around here.You can't go wrong.
Little thing's that seem a bit pricey right now,will be nothing after you get a success full harvest or two.
Also Lemon juice is another thing you can use to lower your Ph.

I was curious about the same thing... But my guess is if you have a big enough tank underneath the roots wont have to fit for water space :)

Subbed for the long haul my friend.
Much love

Looking forward to those notes :)

I was curious about the same thing... But my guess is if you have a big enough tank underneath the roots wont have to fit for water space :)

Subbed for the long haul my friend.
Much love

Looking forward to those notes :)

I'm using a 5 gallon bucket. I doubt all 3 r female, so I plan on losing at least one. And if roots become a problem in veg, I can always clone it and have some ready for after harvest. Don't really know where the hell to put it, but hey, we'll cross that bridge after we swim the river.:loopy:

My last update for the night. I'm tired.:snooze: I have had the lights off for the past 3 hours or so to see if I can get some extra root growth. I read somewhere that it would help encourage root growth. I'm too tired to remember where though. If not, then they had a nice little sleep anyways. They seem to be doing really good.:party::allgood::woohoo:

Thanks for all the feedback today guys. If I didn't respond to you directly, don't be upset. I'm an asshole...:yikes: Just kidding.:rofl: I try to respond to everyone, but I haven't gotten myself very organized yet, so I apologize. Wait, no I don't I'm an asshole...:yikes: See, I'm really :snooze: if I just tried the same lame joke again. Peace my brothers, I gotta go!!

~K~

Hey mate, looking good.

Liquid seaweed or liquid kelp both in the res and as a foliar spray will encourage strong root growth.

As for raising three in one DWC bucket; its possible and works overall. I am raising 3 plants each per DWC bucket (they are taller and 20 gal though). Some people separate their root masses with net pots in the res but I don't bother with that and they are going fine.

At first you keep the roots separate just by pulling them apart. Eventually the root masses fuse but they keep growing well.

You could add another 5 gallon bucket below (deep taproots are better) and make it a 10 gal reservoir by double potting.

Just train the three plants to grow away from each other and you should be fine.

Been spraying them down every few hours. The light seems to be doing an okay job, but the growth seems to be rather slow. They been going since I started at seed on 11/5. They all have there first set of real leaves and are pushing for their second. One already is working on it's third. Putting some music to play for the little guys and see if we can't coax them into growing. Will have some more pics when things change more. Thanks for all your advice again guys. I am finding this site invaluable to my learning process. I spend more time reading journals than I do anything any more it seems. As long as the info stays good, I'll have no problems getting a grow or 2 under my belt.

So I decided to reposition them in the netpot. I put them a little deeper in the net pot. One of them was long enough to reach the bottom, but had grown the long way. I had the wife help me fix them, and now all 3 are very close to coming out of the pot. For sure getting plenty of moisture now. No longer going to spray. Roots all looked white and healthy. Didn't damage them at all, and 3 hours later, seem to be liking it. On still is a little higher than I'd like, but I'm not gonna go OCD on it. The 2 are growing long roots while one is looking more spread out like a fan. Could be because of where it had grown around a piece of the hydroton or maybe cause that's the one that was in the peat pellet. Either way, it went very smooth and I think now I should see some better growth. I am still a ways from using any nutes though.

Thank you Unfetteron. We'll find what kind of luck I have once I can sex them. How kick ass would that be to have all 3 female? Make one a clone mother for sure. Wishful thinking anyways.

Thank you Unfetteron. We'll find what kind of luck I have once I can sex them. How kick ass would that be to have all 3 female? Make one a clone mother for sure. Wishful thinking anyways.

Hehe hear you on that one. One of my 3 snow white made it. I'm crossing my fingers hoping she's a real female and don't surprise me with balls. :thedoubletake:

Back
Top Bottom