Newbie First Grow - Outdoors - Bag Seeds

Here is some background on susan. Three weeks ago I started taking susan in every evening and putting her in the closet to see if I could force her to flower. She stayed on a 12/12 schedule for 10 days...I went on vacation and of course my son did not bring susan in. Since she was showing her girly parts I did not want to put her back on 12/12 cuz she had been outside for 3 days stright. So I left her outside. Is she reverting back to veg
Why so bushy near the top?
Should I just put her in the ground?

20160626_205542.jpg
20160626_205527.jpg

When you send a plant to flower, then reverse back to veg, they tend to get very branchy/bushy. Most of the budding sites try to become a branch and start stretching. Let it go for now. You can thin it and select the branches you want keep in a few weeks.

If you can put her in the ground, do it. She'll do much better. Since you are new to growing you'll have a better chance of her producing decently because of the more stable and potentially larger roots. No offense, it's just the truth. Root zone stability, meaning temp, moisture and biological activity, are all better in the ground. Happy roots = happy fruits.

That gives you less stress and more time to learn and tend the veggies. Then if you want to grow in pots, start in the Autumn and have yourself a little indoor garden through winter. Learn what growing in a pot is like before you tackle summertime intense heat. Especially with the black plastic. You need a well aerated mix and a way to shade the pot from the sun. 100 degree root zones don't thrive. A different style pot may be something you'd be interested in. Fabric pots are great IMHO. Still need shading, but they breath better and make better root balls (IMHO).

When using pots you also need to be conscious of how long the plant has been in the pot, and how long until it finishes. Typically a grower will start a seed, pot into a small cup, cell or even 1/2-1 gallon pot. Then when the roots have grown all throughout the small pot, transplant to a large finishing pot. Give it a week or three to set roots, then flower it. Outdoors you need to time it with mother nature. You don't want to start a seed in April, pop it in a #5 pot and let it finish in Oct. Roots will choke themselves out.

:thumb:

When you send a plant to flower, then reverse back to veg, they tend to get very branchy/bushy. Most of the budding sites try to become a branch and start stretching. Let it go for now. You can thin it and select the branches you want keep in a few weeks.

If you can put her in the ground, do it. She'll do much better. Since you are new to growing you'll have a better chance of her producing decently because of the more stable and potentially larger roots. No offense, it's just the truth. Root zone stability, meaning temp, moisture and biological activity, are all better in the ground. Happy roots = happy fruits.

That gives you less stress and more time to learn and tend the veggies. Then if you want to grow in pots, start in the Autumn and have yourself a little indoor garden through winter. Learn what growing in a pot is like before you tackle summertime intense heat. Especially with the black plastic. You need a well aerated mix and a way to shade the pot from the sun. 100 degree root zones don't thrive. A different style pot may be something you'd be interested in. Fabric pots are great IMHO. Still need shading, but they breath better and make better root balls (IMHO).

When using pots you also need to be conscious of how long the plant has been in the pot, and how long until it finishes. Typically a grower will start a seed, pot into a small cup, cell or even 1/2-1 gallon pot. Then when the roots have grown all throughout the small pot, transplant to a large finishing pot. Give it a week or three to set roots, then flower it. Outdoors you need to time it with mother nature. You don't want to start a seed in April, pop it in a #5 pot and let it finish in Oct. Roots will choke themselves out.

:thumb:

I was hoping to use the greenhouse this winter so I can grow all year. It has power and an iragation system in it...thinking maybe use one of those radiator looking electric heaters along with heat lights to keep it warm.

Am I on the right track?

Greenhouse is great for the winter. Ceramic is better, but still holds a lot of heat. And longer. A good choice for winter.

Electric heat will do fine. A propane heater would work too, and give CO2 a boost, which is what plants 'breath'. Heating can get spendy, just a word of caution.

Heating can get spendy, just a word of caution.

I will just make the kids bundled up and lower the temp in the house so I divert that energy to the greenhouse....happy producing plants will make mommy easier to live with. I think the trade off is worth it for them. I feel bad for them cuz they have been catching it really bad over the past few weeks. It took me about two weeks to figure out my meds were not working anymore and now a month to see my Dr. Can't wait to see her on Thursday and as soon as I get the money I will buy the seeds for the plants I need to grow for my mental stability. This depression...mixed with my premenopausal hormones is horrible.

My auto seeds will be here any day now and I know those have to go in the pot that they are going to live their life in....would it be better for the roots in this heat to be in 5 gallon buckets. Or do I put them in 3 gallon plastic pot and then bury the pot in the 5 gallon bucket to shade the pot.

Hey, Red... Here is that chart I was looking for.. A bit late, I know, but still handy for quick reference..

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies312.jpg

Getting plenty of rain here. I sprayed the plants in neem oil not really expecting the rain. When the rain stops will it be ok to do another treatment?

Also do know of any growers that germinated their seeds directly in the ground? I would like to talk to them. I am thinking maybe some extra screen material I have put up over the spot to keep the sun from burning here when she comes out the ground. Mine grow so much better when I plant them and this is an auto candy kush I want to plant.

Omw to work....came home long enough to spray all the girls with neem oil. Got to use my new sprayer my mom gifted me...she also gifted the neem oil. Anywho...that neem oil makes me sick to my stomach....just spraying it I could taste it in my mouth...too oilly...is that a word....for me.

Later y'all have a good night and I will talk to y'all in the am.

Back
Top Bottom