Newbie-Rookie ISO Answers

Okay so everything seems to be coming together with the start of my 1st grow but I have a couple questions. . . Should I germ in the rockwool? When I soak the rockwool should I use a nutes enriched n ph'd water to soak it in? Do I need to use one of those domed propagation/ heat pad things before I put it in the net pots?
Also I'm growing autos and I was wondering if I would need to grow 6 plants (I only have a 6 bucket system) to achieve 8oz of dried primo bud?

Instead of the rockwool get the rapid rooter plugs. For me rockwool holds too much water. I always soak my seed in semi warm water for 10 hours and then put in a paper towel that is really moist but not soaking wet. Then I put them in a sealed baggie and into a small box to keep them in darkness and put them on a heat mat turn down on low. If I think it is too warm I'll put a towel between the pad and box. In 48 hrs I have tap roots 1/2-3/4 in. long. This is when they go into the rapid rooters with just plain tap water. they do not need any nutrients at all just water. Keep the rapid rooters moist but not soaking wet.

You'll get different opinions about the dome and mat but I sure use it to keep them humid when they are sprouting as the humidity is low in the colder months like now.

Okay so everything seems to be coming together with the start of my 1st grow but I have a couple questions. . . Should I germ in the rockwool? When I soak the rockwool should I use a nutes enriched n ph'd water to soak it in? Do I need to use one of those domed propagation/ heat pad things before I put it in the net pots?
Also I'm growing autos and I was wondering if I would need to grow 6 plants (I only have a 6 bucket system) to achieve 8oz of dried primo bud?
I agree with DJ! Not a rock Wool fan for germination. What medium are you DWC?
I would say 4 buckets max in a 4 by 4. 6 is a tight squeeze, and I personally prefer fewer larger plants, as opposed to more small ones.

Germination is very simple. Fill a glass with water, drop in bean. Poker her down into the water every few hours until she sinks. Once sunk let stay for 12 hours. Then dump out most the water and pour the seed out on to a damp paper towel. Place in plastic bag. Check every 12 hours to oxygenate the zip lock and when root is 1/8 to 1/4 inch long place tail down into rock wool.

If you stick with the rock wool be sure to soak it in ph water over night at 5.5

Again rock wool isn't my go to but will work fine if you treat it overnight with ph'd water.

That's it. You can hand water with low strength nute solution Nd when roots hit res it's off to the races!

I agree with DJ! Not a rock Wool fan for germination. What medium are you DWC?
I would say 4 buckets max in a 4 by 4. 6 is a tight squeeze, and I personally prefer fewer larger plants, as opposed to more small ones.

Germination is very simple. Fill a glass with water, drop in bean. Poker her down into the water every few hours until she sinks. Once sunk let stay for 12 hours. Then dump out most the water and pour the seed out on to a damp paper towel. Place in plastic bag. Check every 12 hours to oxygenate the zip lock and when root is 1/8 to 1/4 inch long place tail down into rock wool.

If you stick with the rock wool be sure to soak it in ph water over night at 5.5

Again rock wool isn't my go to but will work fine if you treat it overnight with ph'd water.

That's it. You can hand water with low strength nute solution Nd when roots hit res it's off to the races!

I have a 4x4x6 space and am using 5 gallon fabric pots for my autos. I had 5 seeds germinate and they are in flower now. I find that I am fighting to keep all plants in good light. I don't know how much yield I will get, but at this point I agree with TMD and suggest 4 plants for that size space. I don't know if 3 gallon pots would allow for 5 plants easier but you want to be able to get light to all parts of your plants.

Thanks for all the info y'all. I really appreciate it. . . I already have rockwool cubes. So I dmwould prefer to use them up before I buy something else. . . Def. Not looking to waste any money If I can help it. . . I have read many many posts speaking on rapid roofers. . . I was tempted to buy those and that humidity/propagation dome about a week or so ago but ended ordering a few 5 gallon refillable water jugs. . . These took priority because this is how I will source my water for as long as I'm here with this horrible useless(in regards to drinking and growing) tap water. . . But I'll def. grab some for the next grow. . . I reckon I'll go with the 4 plants. . . I need all the light I can get . . . I still want 8 zips. . . . Makes me think I should get another tent and run 2 photos in the other 2 buckets . . . Sounds like a lot of work now that I read it . . . Thanks again yall!

8 zips should be relatively easy to pull with the correct equipment in that space. If you do some LST have sufficient lighting and decent understanding of growing fundamentals 225 grams should be very very do-able in a 4 by 4 space. That's only 2 zips off each plant when you could likely pull up to 4 with good genetics lighting and disciplined grow skills

Cool. Relatively easy huh? . . . So training techniques are needed to accomplish this goal? Is there a link to a post or vid or tutorial of some sort to help with plant training? I am completely lost in regards to training. . . Sufficient lighting----- I've got 600 watt mh/hps for lighting. . . Is that sufficient enough? . . . Also, regarding the light. . . Should I be using the mh or hps bulb for autoflowers? Or should I do a switch between them both like a photo? . . . How do I know if genetics are good?

Got 2 beans sprouted in rw cubes but they look a little curly fryish. . . They are in the netpots n I have the light on them dimmed to the lowest level . . . But the other 2 have yet to germ. . . No crack in seed or nothing. . . It's been 3 days using the paper towel method but I got nothing. . . Could these just be bad beans??

Back
Top Bottom