Nkwow's Legal Grow 1st Ever Attempt: Soil With All-In-One Feed Indoors

Just a small update tonight, I really want to get some pictures without the pink so I will work on some regular light in the next few days for pictures. I raised the lights tonight as the big girl had stretched to within 6 inches of the lights. Also gave the smaller girls a vertical boost with about 6 books under them to get them closer to the raised lights. The only thing I would like to do is defoil the lower leaves and a couple of the bigger fans up higher but I won't do this unless someone tells me it is okay at this stage.

Day 31... The ladies seem to be growing well. The NYC D seems to finally be stretching and catching up. GG and LP seem to be slowing in vertical growth and the LP still showing minor nute burn. I watered them all thoroughly to run off tonight with straight tap water. I'm still unsure if defoil at this stage on some of the low leaves and larger fans higher up would be okay. I'll try to google tomorrow but other than that I think I will just try to keep these ladies healthy thru flower and worry about SCRoG and training with my next grow. Purchased seeds tonight so I should be stocked for the next year anyway.
20191007_220913.jpg
20191007_220810.jpg
20191007_220551.jpg
20191007_220909.jpg
20191007_220903.jpg

Evening of day 32. I pulled the ladies out where I could work on them and started trimming. Everything went well until I broke the top off the NYC D.... I was very frustrated with myself but I did learn from my mistake so I am calling it a learning experience. I tried to tape it back in place but I snapped it off completely while attempting to tape it. Stuck it in water until I was done trimming and then watched a couple YouTube videos and made some concoction to use as rooting hormone. I took a small cup with about half a cup of water in it and added a tsp of raw honey and a dash of powdered cinnamon. I dipped the broken top in the concoction after shaving the bottom and stuck it in a 1 gal. smart pot. Fingers crossed it will throw roots.
20191008_190139.jpg
20191008_190136.jpg
20191008_190118.jpg

Evening of day 37. I watered the ladies last night. They are drinking more and more which is pretty neat seeing just how much and how quickly they can drink when they want to. Still no extra nutes as the new growth is still showing signs of nute burn from the first time I added nutes. The company I got the soil from said I might not even need nutes with autos in this soil... maybe they were right. I have been watering the little top I broke off 2 or 3 times a day to make sure it stays moist so that hopefully it will root. It is probably a long shot but tonight it looks like it wants to stand back up. Maybe in spite of my attempts to kill chop its head off she will live once more. I watered everyone thoroughly last night and it seems that we are on a regular watering schedule now. Seems like every other day they get thirsty now.
20191013_185841.jpg
20191013_185912.jpg
20191013_185921.jpg

End of day 39 (day 22 of flower)and somehow everything is still alive. Everything got watered tonight with tap water and I decided to rearrange slightly to accommodate NYC D that decided to stretch up into my lights twice already. I think the change will improve light to lower buds in everyone also. I am thinking unless something changes majorly, I will just feed them straight tap water thru flower since they are still showing slight nute burn. If you have any thoughts or suggestions please tell me. Thanks!
20191015_222642.jpg
20191015_222630.jpg
20191015_222653.jpg
20191015_222711.jpg
20191015_222704.jpg

Glad to have you guys! I will post an update this evening.
Having Emilya at your soil party is like having Dolly Parton at your Karaoke. This member is a Goddess when it comes to soils. I am also due to begin a grow with a LOS product too. So interested in the organic route and not piling nutes in now and the biology of the Los is fascinating. yours seems to be doing well with your suppliers.

Having Emilya at your soil party is like having Dolly Parton at your Karaoke. This member is a Goddess when it comes to soils. I am also due to begin a grow with a LOS product too. So interested in the organic route and not piling nutes in now and the biology of the Los is fascinating. yours seems to be doing well with your suppliers.
Trust me I know! I have seen just thru my reading on the forums how knowledgeable she is and can see how respected and looked up to she is. I was telling my wife last night how stoked I was to have her following along! I didn't post an update last night because I am having trouble finding cal-mag locally but I think I have located some so I'm about to take the 3 boys with me shopping. Wish me luck

Trust me I know! I have seen just thru my reading on the forums how knowledgeable she is and can see how respected and looked up to she is. I was telling my wife last night how stoked I was to have her following along! I didn't post an update last night because I am having trouble finding cal-mag locally but I think I have located some so I'm about to take the 3 boys with me shopping. Wish me luck
A big cash roll will do you better than luck in my experience of kids.heehee.
The net is good for supplies and often next day delivery if all else fails. Emilya has a thread about making your own too. eggshells and home stuff but needs a little time to ferment and make sadly. great for organics and future grows though. I recently changed to L.ED after decades of hps and never used calmag in any real regular way before , as I hit flowering the lack of it was scary and evident. took me a week to get some and a my Phantom OG was a calmag hungry girl. she looked like crap come harvest leaf wise and def hit the yield hard too. You have an handle on it now before any real issues so dont worry at all.

Day 44 from seed (day 27 of flower) update... I ended up getting tied up this weekend so here we are Sunday evening. I came up empty handed in my quest for cal-mag this weekend... I should have thought between the 5 greenhouses/nurseries we have locally that someone would have had some but I ended up ordering some online and it should be here on Wednesday. So I don't have much new to report but I did take the ladies out tonight and looked them over. Everything seems to be going well and the ladies were thirsty tonight so they all got watered thoroughly to run off this evening with tap water. The CBD LP seems to still be showing the nute burn and maybe even a little more this evening. I am sure now if I had it to do over again I would have flushed her well often the first sign of nute burn but I just keep hoping it doesn't get much worse since I have only fed once and it has been a while ago. I am wondering if I should try some Epsom salt now but unless someone says otherwise I will just wait until the cal-mag gets here on Wednesday. I also ordered a macro lens for my phone so hopefully I can get some better bud photos come Wednesday also.
20191020_183936.jpg
20191020_184739.jpg
20191020_184715.jpg
20191020_184058.jpg
20191020_184803.jpg
20191020_184414.jpg
20191020_184526.jpg
20191020_184502.jpg
20191020_184155.jpg

I am not too sure and think @Emilya could have a more knowledgable answer but I dont think run off is needed with the Los soil , this could be too much water .
The tall lady will probably need some help holding herself up when the buds start building bigger. Might be worth prepping stakes for the task. I hear you on the calmag , to say so many indoor gardeners use it , it shocks me here too that the availability is only from grow shops. they are missing potential business from our love of green. All in all your ladies look happy and well , a couple of burnt tipped leaves wont slow her down . On a thought and not sure if you mentioned before but what ph are you putting the water in at. Los is supposed to deal with ph but I think the 5.6-6.4 range is still the suggested ph.?.

Good morning! I am not a big fan of epsom salt added during a grow. The stuff is mighty powerful and just 1 tablespoon full is more than a 5g container would need for an entire grow. Magnesium deficiency is rarely a crisis that demands instant action... wait on the calmag.
Regarding pH... the ONLY reason we adjust pH is so that synthetic nutes break free of their salt bonds so as to become mobile within the soil and available to the plants. If we are not using synthetic nutes, there is no need to adjust pH.
And lastly, in a living soil situation you want to water just to the point of runoff, and then stop. There is no need to produce runoff for any reason in an LOS grow... there is nothing building up to flush out and runoff simply is a waste of water and any minerals that happen to wash out of that soil with the runoff.

oh, lastly... tip burn. Tip burn is also not a crisis, and to think that one needs to flush when seeing a little bit of tip burn is silly. There is a saying in the cannabis world... "If you are not at least burning the tips, you aren't trying hard enough." A good minerally rich soil WILL slightly burn the tips... it is happening right now in my garden and happens all the time. It is not a crisis.
What I do consider to be important however is your use of tap water with this living soil. The chlorine in your tap water was put there to kill the microbes just like what are living in your soil. Apply enough tap water and you will kill your living soil. PLease look into getting a microbial recharge type product such as URB, Voodoo Juice or my favorite, RealGrower's Recharge to add back an active microbial population if you insist on using tap water, for eventually that stuff will affect your grow.

Thanks to both of you for the info! Going forward I will water only to runoff to prevent flushing out microbes and nutes. I should have know that but now I do. Also good to know that a little tip burn is okay. I'll probably give the NYC D and GG a foliar feeding this evening if nothing else to give them some mildew and insect protection. I have not been testing water ph mainly because I thought with an organic soil grow it was not necessary and I didn't want to buy a cheap ph pen because I have read that they are not accurate. I will be purchasing a ph pen at some point for future grows. I hear what you are saying about the chlorine but what type of water would you suggest I use in not tap? As far as the chlorine causing issues with the soil, Organilock makes a recharge product that I plan on using between grows to keep the soil rich. I have to check with them on how often they recommend recharging soil.

Thanks to both of you for the info! Going forward I will water only to runoff to prevent flushing out microbes and nutes. I should have know that but now I do. Also good to know that a little tip burn is okay. I'll probably give the NYC D and GG a foliar feeding this evening if nothing else to give them some mildew and insect protection. I have not been testing water ph mainly because I thought with an organic soil grow it was not necessary and I didn't want to buy a cheap ph pen because I have read that they are not accurate. I will be purchasing a ph pen at some point for future grows. I hear what you are saying about the chlorine but what type of water would you suggest I use in not tap? As far as the chlorine causing issues with the soil, Organilock makes a recharge product that I plan on using between grows to keep the soil rich. I have to check with them on how often they recommend recharging soil.
either filter your water (RO water or even Britta) or if you really want to use tap water, fill the bathtub and put 1 vitamin C tablet in there and stir it up till it dissolves. This will drop all of the chlorine products out of the solution into sediment at the bottom of the tub. Bottle this cleansed water, and use it for your grow. Recharging the soil is one thing, and that should be done between grows to keep the soil rich in minerals, but the recharge I am talking about is replenishing the microbe population. In a living soil, without the microbes doing all the work for you, the plants do not get fed. There is no magic that takes the minerals out of the soil and makes them available to the plant. If your microbes die, so will your plants. You could use what is called a microbial inoculation. Here is the product that I use:

Back
Top Bottom