On The Shoulders of Giants: Hempy/Coco/OC+/GLH

Hey Zombo that is a nice tent you got! Hope you get rid of those mites before you get up and running. Hate bugs~~ subscribed! :popcorn:

Yeah dude, they're eradicated. The mom is looking WAY healthy after some Azatrol and her new nest! :morenutes:

Thanks for coming by, Tmac12! :welcome:

Having a good amount of perlite will help in your medium for water retention. But you should look into that Coir because its not as powdery as you might think. It's very fluffy and holds a great deal more water then perlite. Perlite mainly helps the media not compact, as well as holding water in the medium. Just some things to think about since you have time before things take off.

:high-five:

So...dig....I went into my growing area and took a 3.5 gallon DWC bucket and added a brick of the Botanicare coco and about 2 gallons of water and then left it be. Until about 10 minutes ago.

HOLY SHIT. This stuff is like soil, but not soil - it's sooooooo NEAT!

Nine Leafer - :thanks: x 100! :high-five:

I am also medicated on some fine SAGE hash my pal made from my trimmings, so if I ramble on, just don't hold it against me, it's the meds :bong:

So, after now having expanded coco chips (almost shredded stuff, I thought this was coco-coir), true coco coir and perlite, I got to thinking. Sorta. I mixed coco chips with perlite, making for an extremely porous, lightweight but not so moisture retaining media. After expanding the coir, I realized why people were mixing perlite with the coir for hempy -- it makes the media a bit lighter and airier, right? So, as I think more about this, it comes to me....

Why can't I just grow in 100% coco? 75% chips and 25% coir? 75% coir and 25% chips? 50/50? Is there really a need for perlite if you have the two forms of coco media, and you rinse and pre-charge with CaMg?

I like the idea of using the coco chips for root and general plant support; it seems more sturdy than just straight perlite -- I know DocBud will proclaim heresy, but I think I'm starting to lean towards using 100% coco for my grows - I'm not fearing learning the intricacies of learning coco, I think OC+ is going to aid in that.

I propose a small experiment; I have 3 one gallon tote shaped hempies. I'll fill one with coir and perlite (75/25), one with 100% perlite, and one with coir and coco chips (75/25). When I get my lights, I'll pop 3 bagseeds I have, then transplant them into the totes and see which does the best? Or for science sake, I should do this with clones.....

I have plenty of time to think about things like this, since I've still not nailed down "the method" that I'm going to use forever. Maybe like homebrewing (another passion, since put away), you never stop learning and experimenting. Gods, I am :yahoo:

Having a good amount of perlite will help in your medium for water retention. But you should look into that Coir because its not as powdery as you might think. It's very fluffy and holds a great deal more water then perlite. Perlite mainly helps the media not compact, as well as holding water in the medium. Just some things to think about since you have time before things take off.

:high-five:

So then my medicated thoughts on 100% coco aren't so far off - the coco chips would act as an anti-compaction medium, no?

Love the experimenting zombo. Always gotta keep tinkering until you find the best way to grow. Most follow,though few may lead. Cant wait to see the results.:popcorn:

Okay, good news: my lights shipped on the 2nd, and should be delivered by the 8th! :)

I put 15 bagseed beans in root riot cubes a couple of days ago, with the new tray, dome and heating pad/thermostat setup - I have one all the way up, and 3-4 more about to pop. Depending on how many germinate, I might just grow them out in hempy 2 liter bottles to see how they look, pheno wise and sex. I can then isolate a male, harvest pollen, then any females can grow out and I can just pollenate a bud for seed run, and smoke the rest.

This way, I can practice with my new lights and coco/hempy without possibly ruining plants from expensive seeds. Any feedback?

Okay, good news: my lights shipped on the 2nd, and should be delivered by the 8th! :)

I put 15 bagseed beans in root riot cubes a couple of days ago, with the new tray, dome and heating pad/thermostat setup - I have one all the way up, and 3-4 more about to pop. Depending on how many germinate, I might just grow them out in hempy 2 liter bottles to see how they look, pheno wise and sex. I can then isolate a male, harvest pollen, then any females can grow out and I can just pollenate a bud for seed run, and smoke the rest.

This way, I can practice with my new lights and coco/hempy without possibly ruining plants from expensive seeds. Any feedback?

Sounds like a good plan. I've actually separated 2 males a few days ago for breeding. :popcorn:

hempys cool im trying my first hempy grow right now. I have no hydro experience either so is feels crazy with out soil to do most of the work. Cant wait to see how this goes for you. You have a nice set up. i will keep watching and learning :tokin:

Hey Z, as far as I know you can use 100% coir for hempy buckets..but you still need the perlite in the res.

I went with 75%coir/25% perlite cus I have a shit ton of perlite left over from my last 100% perlite hempy grow. I bought a huge bag and used like a quarter of it hahah.

Looking forward to this grow getting started, I can only imagine how you feel!

:peacetwo:

Love the experimenting zombo. Always gotta keep tinkering until you find the best way to grow. Most follow,though few may lead. Cant wait to see the results.:popcorn:

Thanks THCScientist -- it's been trying my patience waiting for the lights to get here, but it's given me time to formulate my plans for this grow, for sure. I'll probably be all over the map with this one, but experimenting is one of my passions -- especially when there's a tasty reward at the end!

hempys cool im trying my first hempy grow right now. I have no hydro experience either so is feels crazy with out soil to do most of the work. Cant wait to see how this goes for you. You have a nice set up. i will keep watching and learning :tokin:

Right on falcore, thanks for coming by ;) I have only done hydro (4 successful grows), and will continue sticking with it. My chronic pains and back issues make DWC a pain the the ass anymore, so I decided hempy was the best route to go for me. You have a journal up yet?

You guys are really making me want to try the Hempy method~:tokin:

Nothing simpler: Get a damned bucket. Drill a damned hole 2 inches up from the bottom, big as a pencil. Add perlite. Grow a damned plant! :)

Hey Z, as far as I know you can use 100% coir for hempy buckets..but you still need the perlite in the res.

I went with 75%coir/25% perlite cus I have a shit ton of perlite left over from my last 100% perlite hempy grow. I bought a huge bag and used like a quarter of it hahah.

Looking forward to this grow getting started, I can only imagine how you feel!

:peacetwo:

Yeah, I got *really* baked the other night and was doing percentage maths on coco chip/perlite blends added to coco chip/coir blends and shit like that. I'm still of the opinion that 100% coco is doable, especially with the right mix of chips and coir. Yes, this will lead to more experimenting on my part :tokin:

Now, I have some news to share. My seed order came in from The Attitude, unfortunately two of the free "UFO" beans were crushed, the Blue Widow and Cali Hash Plant...bummer. The rest are fine though:

600W_Coco:Hempy_-_80.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_81.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_82.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_83.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_84.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_85.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_86.jpg

I did plant 15 random bagseeds I had - the 50 plug Root Riot tray and dome, with the addition of a heating mat and thermostat makes for a happy seedling home!

600W_Coco:Hempy_-_68.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_71.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_73.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_74.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_75.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_76.jpg

And my mom is still hanging in there...I'm just going to nurse her to full health and then take a chop or two and let her flower out. She's done her work, time for retirement (to my curing jars! MUHAHAHAHAH!):

600W_Coco:Hempy_-_72.jpg

That's all the updates for now -- I'm trying to figure out how to get a boatload of 2 liter bottles without having to bloat myself on soda pop! LOL

:peace:

Darn busted beans. Somebody should be held responsible zombo. I got your back, lets find em and give em the brooklyn beatdown! :)

hi zombo wow looks like santa paid you an early visit this year. you are gonna grow a forest with all them seeds.:cool: For you 2 liter quest I was thinking you could buy gallon jugs of drinking water and cut them in half right below the handle and that should be just about 2 liters.
I do have a journal the 4th grow in my signature it was supposed to be 12/12 but i am saving up for an exhaust fan for my big set up that i have pictured so i started with a little veg box this time. Im gonna try to clone and grow out he clones in hempys Hopefully i can get a fan by march and get back on track.
I think your gonna have a great grow man
:tokin:

I'm trying to figure out how to get a boatload of 2 liter bottles without having to bloat myself on soda pop! LOL

You all must recycle up in MI. Do they collect it or do you take it to a recycle center? They will have a lot of 2 liter soda bottles.... or do they call it pop in MI? :)

My grocery store had a sale on FUSE, healthy for ya, thicker plastic, and they have nice line where to cut at...
Ill post a pic later if you want to see

Wait are you looking for pots to start out in?

hi zombo wow looks like santa paid you an early visit this year. you are gonna grow a forest with all them seeds.:cool: For you 2 liter quest I was thinking you could buy gallon jugs of drinking water and cut them in half right below the handle and that should be just about 2 liters.
I think your gonna have a great grow man
:tokin:

Thanks bro! Yah, I haven't checked tonight, but I'll bet I get 14/15 on these bagseeds; the mids they came from are real good - when you grind 'em up you get lots of trichs :D

The reason I want 2 liter is because they're tall, does that matter if the vessel is shallow and wider or taller and narrow for hempy? I don't know so if one of the hempy experts sees this, chime in... :peace:

You all must recycle up in MI. Do they collect it or do you take it to a recycle center? They will have a lot of 2 liter soda bottles.... or do they call it pop in MI? :)

Yeah, I think there's a 10 cent deposit on them, ergo the difficulty in getting some. If you know of an equivalent, it's so I can cram 15 babies under the new lights and go 12/12 from the get go..maybe those flower buckets at the grocery store? *shrug* I should just go get a dozen 2 liters of Faygo "pop", lol

My grocery store had a sale on FUSE, healthy for ya, thicker plastic, and they have nice line where to cut at...
Ill post a pic later if you want to see

Wait are you looking for pots to start out in?

Thanks for coming by Outdoorsman! Does FUSE mix with vodka? :high-five:
I just want to use 2 liter bottles to flip and sex these bagseeds, pick nice male stock and isolate it - then pollinate one bud on the best looking girl, and flower the rest out. Just for seed stock and some fine tuning on using the lights and coco :)

Since my roommate just got her med card, we're clear for 48 plants, and possibly one of the ways I'll go is flowering clones into 2 liter coco hempy, right to 12/12. I dunno, I'm still learning, right? Someday if the Bud Godz grant it, I'll be like some of the masters here!

It's just my nature to experiment, and growing to me is becoming like brewing, a big scince experiment with living creatures -- I care for them and they reward me when the experiment is done. Both cannabis and brewer's yeast can be propagated, thus similar in that way too! And the better care you take of the living creature in your care, the better the end results :)

Thanks again, Outdoorsman, for coming by. +rep :high-five:
Thanks for the reps my friend

:thanks:

Was just wondering did you say you are ,Or you won`t be using the Osmocote Plus Nutes this run?

Yep, I'm another DocBud Kool-Aid drinker, hempy, tap water, cal-mag and OC+ -- I mean, if I can get meds for myself and my patients that works, why not keep it KISS, eh? :wood:

I still think if Doc sees this thread, he'll wag his finger at my use of coco instead of just perlite LOL -- Thanks for visiting my journal, hogs, ask all the questions you want about OC+ and I'll try to answer ya!

Okay peeps, UFC 126 is on, and I'm chowing medibles -- :peace: lol

Thanks THCScientist -- it's been trying my patience waiting for the lights to get here, but it's given me time to formulate my plans for this grow, for sure. I'll probably be all over the map with this one, but experimenting is one of my passions -- especially when there's a tasty reward at the end!

Right on falcore, thanks for coming by ;) I have only done hydro (4 successful grows), and will continue sticking with it. My chronic pains and back issues make DWC a pain the the ass anymore, so I decided hempy was the best route to go for me. You have a journal up yet?

Nothing simpler: Get a damned bucket. Drill a damned hole 2 inches up from the bottom, big as a pencil. Add perlite. Grow a damned plant! :)

Yeah, I got *really* baked the other night and was doing percentage maths on coco chip/perlite blends added to coco chip/coir blends and shit like that. I'm still of the opinion that 100% coco is doable, especially with the right mix of chips and coir. Yes, this will lead to more experimenting on my part :tokin:

Now, I have some news to share. My seed order came in from The Attitude, unfortunately two of the free "UFO" beans were crushed, the Blue Widow and Cali Hash Plant...bummer. The rest are fine though:

600W_Coco:Hempy_-_80.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_81.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_82.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_83.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_84.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_85.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_86.jpg

I did plant 15 random bagseeds I had - the 50 plug Root Riot tray and dome, with the addition of a heating mat and thermostat makes for a happy seedling home!

600W_Coco:Hempy_-_68.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_71.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_73.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_74.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_75.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_76.jpg

And my mom is still hanging in there...I'm just going to nurse her to full health and then take a chop or two and let her flower out. She's done her work, time for retirement (to my curing jars! MUHAHAHAHAH!):

600W_Coco:Hempy_-_72.jpg

That's all the updates for now -- I'm trying to figure out how to get a boatload of 2 liter bottles without having to bloat myself on soda pop! LOL

Hey Zombo looking good! I had the same 2 liter problem and drove around my neighborhood on trash morning raiding recycle bins lol.... I felt kind of scummy but got over 20 of them. Also if your town or city has a recycle place try there.

Whoo hoo! My lights are in! You guys were not shitting me, these are BRIGHT freaking panels:yahoo:

I spent the morning cleaning out the tent again, and transplanting the seedlings into my new 16oz. hempy cups -- I used the Dremel to make nice holes on the sides, I eyeballed the height of course. They have two mixes in them, the bottom layer (up to just over the damned hole) is 75% coco chips/25% perlite -- the rest is 75% coco chips/25% coco coir.

I mixed in 2 tbsp of OC+ prills/gallon of the coir/chip mix to finish it off. I'm pretty proud that I got 12/15 seeds popped successfully, two never even cracked and started getting mold, one grew completely upside down, with the taproot sticking up in the air and the popped seed head buried in the germinating cube? Anyhow, I got them all transplanted and I watered them, I have the new lights about 30" up from them. I'll check on them tonight, am going to keep them 24/0 until roots hit the bottom of the cups, then I'll flip and sex 'em!

I declare the grow officially underway :party:

600W_Coco:Hempy_-_089.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_090.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_092.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_091.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_095.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_093.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_096.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_094.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_097.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_098.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_099.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_100.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_101.jpg
600W_Coco:Hempy_-_102.jpg

Can I get the title of my journal changed?

Back
Top Bottom