Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

That rain yesterday has me worried about my two outdoor ladies, hasn't rained in months (when we could have used it with all the smoke, go figure). I guess time will tell and have to keep an eye on them as did have bud rot problem with one strain last year (of course two different ones again this year so who knows :rofl:). Wish they would get Rec numbers more realistic, 4 plants of any stage can be tough as I run Regular seeds mostly and have crappy luck as last four times I popped two seeds of a strain I got either both males or one of each. Would be cool to see the Maui if you can get pics as haven't seen one with pink flowers as of yet. I need to find more old school seeds, so many Hybrids out there now (albeit been experimenting on making my own Hybrids so I'm one to talk ;) :rofl: ).

That rain yesterday has me worried about my two outdoor ladies, hasn't rained in months (when we could have used it with all the smoke, go figure). I guess time will tell and have to keep an eye on them as did have bud rot problem with one strain last year (of course two different ones again this year so who knows :rofl:). Wish they would get Rec numbers more realistic, 4 plants of any stage can be tough as I run Regular seeds mostly and have crappy luck as last four times I popped two seeds of a strain I got either both males or one of each. Would be cool to see the Maui if you can get pics as haven't seen one with pink flowers as of yet. I need to find more old school seeds, so many Hybrids out there now (albeit been experimenting on making my own Hybrids so I'm one to talk ;) :rofl: ).

Yes, I run all regular seeds, as I have no need or use for autos or fems. 4 is rather limiting, so I got a grow card. As of Oct 1, they are changing the numbers again for medical grow cards in Oregon. It will be 6 plants blooming any size, 12 non-blooming any size, and 36 clones under 2 feet tall, plus 4 any size blooming or not if another non card holding person resides at the same address. So for me its 10 + 12 + 36. I can start all my family's 4 plant grows here as clones and sex them and pass them along without any worry of getting busted. I also bonsai my males so they are counted as clones.

Bud rot (botrytis) is an issue here in the fall outdoors. Rain and condensation can be an issue, even in the greenhouses. For that reason I like early blooming strains, like Lebanese and Grape Ape. Or as with the Maui this year, I force bloom them earlier with light dep. I grow them in pots so I can move them in and out of the greenhouses, force them to bloom in a dark shed, and move them to a safe pollination area. I have a photo of the pink Maui flowers here someplace. Let me see... here she is! This one is actually almost purple. The others are lighter pink. This is Greengenes Maui Cherry Bomb 1978.

Pink Maui.JPG

Hey big sur what exactly are you doing to start really blooming?

Sounds like you are having a great summer!

Cheers,

To force blooming I use light dep 12/12 for 6 nights in a row. I use it twice: once to sex my plants when they are about a foot tall in the spring, and then again (if they are late bloomers) in the summer, usually in early August to initiate blooming. It always works. I grow in 15 gallon pots so I can move my plants around. Into and out of a dark shed for 6 mights, usually 10pm to 10am. I also grow early flowering strains. Lebanese is really early blooming, and so is Grape Ape. They start blooming in late July.

To force blooming I use light dep 12/12 for 6 nights in a row. I use it twice: once to sex my plants when they are about a foot tall in the spring, and then again (if they are late bloomers) in the summer, usually in early August to initiate blooming. It always works. I grow in 15 gallon pots so I can move my plants around. Into and out of a dark shed for 6 mights, usually 10pm to 10am. I also grow early flowering strains. Lebanese is really early blooming, and so is Grape Ape. They start blooming in late July.

So do you use the 12/12 light dep for six days and then just stop with the light dep and go back to sunrise/sunset (longer day) say on the 6th of Aug? Same for sexing in the spring? I just want to make sure I understand.

Nice she is pretty, thanks for finding a pic :Namaste:. Yeah thinking I may have to leave them in pots next year so I can bring them into my shed if need be, though that one that is 6' tall I'm not sure if it would move easily w/o getting damaged, would just have to train them different and pick something shorter maybe. As it poured again today for awhile, think I may lose both them girls if Mother Nature keeps this crud up. My Sister has a Med card, but I"m not trusting enough of the freaking Feds to have my name on a list anywhere yet (as I could get a med card pretty easy if I wanted I think), as we had to sign some baloney when I got my Old Lady on Medicaid about "not using the money for Cannabis even though it is legal in this State as a Federal program yadda yadda yadda", as Medicaid only thing keeping us afloat (or even half sinking, as w/o it we would be screwed as I'm her fulltime Caregiver).

Yep, the 4 plant rec. rule sucks.

I vastly prefer to grow from seeds & when I do so, I go with natural ones, never feminized. But it's a total crap shoot, as you note.

From a practical standpoint clones are really the best option if one's going to comply with the 4-plant rec rule. Especially for me--I've got ltd gardening space outdoors w/ adequate sun. Happily, clones in OR are pretty damn good. All 8 that I've grown over the course of 2 years were excellent.

But this yr from seeds & I got fairly lucky w/ the majority fems.

I hear ya on the rot, always a crap shoot in the PNW. For that reason, I've forsaken growing landrace sativas, though those are my favorite. But no way viable with the climate & I try to work with what's left of nature.

So now I only grow plants with less than 9 week flowering time to maturity.

My next grow's going to be all landrace indica.

Oh and speaking of Oregon's silly freaking rules, unless they changed it recently, "technically" you are allowed 5 seeds in your possession (home or elsewhere), or that is how it was wrote up last time I looked it up online and not sure if that just Rec or they passed that stupidity onto everything :rofl::rofl:. Either way that totally not realistic in any way/shape/form ;)

Not a landrace, but this yr I grew a Lebanese x Nepalese x Grape Ape hybrid & you are quite right, they bloom really early. Of my 2 fems, one bloomed in mid-July (already chopped & curing) and the other on 7/26. Earliest blooms of any plant I've ever grown, which is peachy. Not only allowed me to dodge a rainy fall, but also a staggered harvest is quite nice.

Here's the remaining LebNepGrape, which'll get hacked in a week:
(one thing I don't like about is that its color makes it's tough to inspect for rot).
Pardon the posting of a non-landrace...grow on!

Oh and speaking of Oregon's silly freaking rules, unless they changed it recently, "technically" you are allowed 5 seeds in your possession (home or elsewhere), or that is how it was wrote up last time I looked it up online and not sure if that just Rec or they passed that stupidity onto everything :rofl::rofl:. Either way that totally not realistic in any way/shape/form ;)
OLCC has proven they can take the fun out of anything & they've been practicing that schtick w/ booze for decades (& I don't drink), so they've got de-funning via absurd rules down. Possibly the most dysfunctional state agency. I have many stoner friends in the service industry that voted against legalization, solely because OLCC would be in charge.

So do you use the 12/12 light dep for six days and then just stop with the light dep and go back to sunrise/sunset (longer day) say on the 6th of Aug? Same for sexing in the spring? I just want to make sure I understand.

Yes. I only need to initiate blooming, and 6 nights is the ticket. Sometimes there will be flowers after only 4 nights. It is strain dependent, and how near natural blooming they are. The closer they are to blooming, the fater they will set under 12/12. The Mauis did not show blooms after the 6th night, but a few days later it started popping blooms. Once they set blooms, you can put them into longer light periods and they will typically not revert.

Nice she is pretty, thanks for finding a pic :Namaste:. Yeah thinking I may have to leave them in pots next year so I can bring them into my shed if need be, though that one that is 6' tall I'm not sure if it would move easily w/o getting damaged, would just have to train them different and pick something shorter maybe. As it poured again today for awhile, think I may lose both them girls if Mother Nature keeps this crud up. My Sister has a Med card, but I"m not trusting enough of the freaking Feds to have my name on a list anywhere yet (as I could get a med card pretty easy if I wanted I think), as we had to sign some baloney when I got my Old Lady on Medicaid about "not using the money for Cannabis even though it is legal in this State as a Federal program yadda yadda yadda", as Medicaid only thing keeping us afloat (or even half sinking, as w/o it we would be screwed as I'm her fulltime Caregiver).

Yeah, the whole mj federal issue sucks. However at the state level, OHA will not share any information with anyone, especially the feds. They will also not give out lists, or share information up front with local law enforcement. As it stands now in Oregon, the sheriff or state/city police have to call OHA about a particular address and find out if anyone at the address has an OMMP grow or medical card or not. That is all the OHA will give out. The Deshutes Co Sheriff tried to get a complete list of OMMP addresses and growers in the county, but the OHA and courts said no. Oregon has also shored up the information system, and they do not track point of sales so the feds cannot access that info, and the feds cannot get access to the OHA data on OMMP card holders and growers. However, lately the OLCC has taken control of larger scale OHA growing and forcing them to use and report inventory and tracking, so things have changed. The OLCC has also cut OMMP card holders' ability to buy 1.5 pounds of weed at any time, and reduced it to the same rec weed level buy limit of 1 ounce at a time for a 6 month period. Basically they are doing away with medical in Oregon, like they did in California. All it will get us is tax-free point of sale weed at some point, which is all a medical card gets you in California any more.

(snipped)
I hear ya on the rot, always a crap shoot in the PNW. For that reason, I've forsaken growing landrace sativas, though those are my favorite. But no way viable with the climate & I try to work with what's left of nature.

So now I only grow plants with less than 9 week flowering time to maturity.

My next grow's going to be all landrace indica.

Not always the case. Landrace Lebanese blooms fast and early. There are 2 phenos, one early September harvestable and the other late September harvested, just like in the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon. I harvested all my Lebanese by Sept 30 last year. I harvested my early sativa Lebby the second week in September. "They" claim that they are indicas, but they are really sativas. Ace Seeds now agrees with me that they are really sativas. Ace has Lebanese seeds, as well as RSC. As I mentioned above as well, you can also force any strain to bloom in early or mid July using light dep and they will be ready by the middle to late September. Which is what I did with my Maui. This September is a fluke, with early hard rains. But that is one of the many reasons that I grow in greenhouses outdoors in Oregon. You never know what the weather will throw at you north of the Siskiyous.

Actually it is 10 seeds. I wanted to make a sign: SEED LIMIT 10. For medical card holders its 50. But the number varies and I have never seen anyone busted in Oregon for Cannabis seeds.

Not a landrace, but this yr I grew a Lebanese x Nepalese x Grape Ape hybrid & you are quite right, they bloom really early. Of my 2 fems, one bloomed in mid-July (already chopped & curing) and the other on 7/26. Earliest blooms of any plant I've ever grown, which is peachy. Not only allowed me to dodge a rainy fall, but also a staggered harvest is quite nice.

(photo snipped)
(one thing I don't like about is that its color makes it's tough to inspect for rot).
Pardon the posting of a non-landrace...grow on!

Yes, early bloom and harvest. My brother harvested his Grape Apes last week. Agreed on the calyx color making it hard to see botrytis rot. Nice buds there though, tanks for sharing. And no issues on only posting about landraces here... your hybrid is 2/3 landrace. I have a lot of heirlooms and early crosses posted in my seed list above, so this is not a purist landrace thread. Nor do I care if it stays 100% on topic.

BTW: Grape Ape (at least the Mendo Purps x skunk x Afghan version) has more resin and oil than any other strain that I have grown. Last year I had to wait a month to trim the buds, they were so tacky. The sissors would gum up after trimming only one bud. Great high to it as well. There is another Grape Ape named strain floating around that is really a cut or daughter of GDP.

Not always the case. Landrace Lebanese blooms fast and early. There are 2 phenos, one early September harvestable and the other late September harvested, just like in the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon. I harvested all my Lebanese by Sept 30 last year. I harvested my early sativa Lebby the second week in September. "They" claim that they are indicas, but they are really sativas. Ace Seeds now agrees with me that they are really sativas. Ace has Lebanese seeds, as well as RSC. As I mentioned above as well, you can also force any strain to bloom in early or mid July using light dep and they will be ready by the middle to late September. Which is what I did with my Maui. This September is a fluke, with early hard rains. But that is one of the many reasons that I grow in greenhouses outdoors in Oregon. You never know what the weather will throw at you north of the Siskiyous.
I didn't think the leb was necessarily an indica. Both plants that were fem definitely had sativa growth habits (though I topped & trained the heck out of them).

But next my next grow is gonna be a landrace indica.

Thanks for all the terrific info & a stellar thread!:goodjob:

OLCC has proven they can take the fun out of anything & they've been practicing that schtick w/ booze for decades (& I don't drink), so they've got de-funning via absurd rules down. Possibly the most dysfunctional state agency. I have many stoner friends in the service industry that voted against legalization, solely because OLCC would be in charge.

Agreed. Voting for legalization and what has happened as a result of it in Oregon are two completely different things. IMO, it was far better under the medial laws than it is now. OHA never wanted OMMP, and they have all but handed it over to the OLCC. I would say that the OLCC is not the worst state agency though. I think that OHA is far worse. I have been dealing with OHA for years now. The whole Oregon Health Care/Obamacare thing was a fiasco, and they threw millions down the toilet getting that lunched, only to scrap the entire thing.

Yeah, the whole mj federal issue sucks. However at the state level, OHA will not share any information with anyone, especially the feds. They will also not give out lists, or share information up front with local law enforcement. As it stands now in Oregon, the sheriff or state/city police have to call OHA about a particular address and find out if anyone at the address has an OMMP grow or medical card or not. That is all the OHA will give out. The Deshutes Co Sheriff tried to get a complete list of OMMP addresses and growers in the county, but the OHA and courts said no. Oregon has also shored up the information system, and they do not track point of sales so the feds cannot access that info, and the feds cannot get access to the OHA data on OMMP card holders and growers. However, lately the OLCC has taken control of larger scale OHA growing and forcing them to use and report inventory and tracking, so things have changed. The OLCC has also cut OMMP card holders' ability to buy 1.5 pounds of weed at any time, and reduced it to the same rec weed level buy limit of 1 ounce at a time for a 6 month period. Basically they are doing away with medical in Oregon, like they did in California. All it will get us is tax-free point of sale weed at some point, which is all a medical card gets you in California any more.
Yep. Also did the same basic thing to medical in WA. Have a friend who's an RN, who used to work in an MMJ clinic in WA. The place closed about a year after Rec. legalization & she's doing other work now.

Yep. Also did the same basic thing to medical in WA. Have a friend who's an RN, who used to work in an MMJ clinic in WA. The place closed about a year after Rec. legalization & she's doing other work now.

Well, Washington state did a few good things since legalization there. You cannot grow personal rec weed in state there at all. But if you have a doctor's "Rx" (not a real Rx, as that would violate federal law, but a 'recommendation Rx') you can grow 4 plants there now. And you do not need a state issued permit or a grow card, just the doctor's Rx for growing weed in WA state. But WMMP is all but dead now, as it is in California. No more Oregon medical dispensaries or commercial growers exist any more either. And now that the OHA requires OLCC tracking and reporting in Oregon for anything more than 12 plants (the limit with 2 OMMP grow cards), growing for other medical card holders and the medical sales community has pretty much become extinct. OHA took the reduction to mean that larger growers are moving into the black market, and issued a warning that they are expanding site inspections with only a one day notice of all sites that were larger than 2 grow cards and reduced to 2 grow cards or less after the OLCC tracking went into effect earlier this year. Yet I have seen no reports that they have found any huge grows at those sites, or any non-compliance. Oregon legislators and OLCC are convinced that the OMMP was/is feeding the black market, yet I have seen no busts or indication that is anything but a fabrication. Again, IMO the black market remains as it was before, with black market growers growing off-grid and supplying the black market. The recent busts prove that. Many people are also coming here and buying up legal weed and taking it out of state. Nothing they can do to stop that though, and those are taxed weed sales. But they have to look like they are doing 'something' about the oversupply "problem." So they pick on medical... politics as usual. Driven by MONEY. Get rid of tax-free medical weed and fill the coffers. Cha-ching. Then they can EXPAND the OLCC and build a larger empire. The OLCC recently requested $7 milllion of the weed tax dollars to hire more investigators. And the gov't cancer grows and grows... like a weed. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom