Over dried

asum

420 Member
First time this has happened, I used my trim bowl and loaded up my drying rack, turned the fan on because it was really wet due to heavy rain before harvest, checked on it four days later and it seemed very dry, checked the moisture content and it was at 52%, how can I rehydrate and not jeopardize my cure process, I use the Boveda moisture packs when finished.

If you have a few leaves left put just a couple in there and keep an eye on it little goes a long way at this point your just trying to moisten it enuff to keep it from falling apart
Your packs won't do much as dry as it is

Another question is how long did you leave it sealed up when you came up with 52% some times the center will be wetter than outside and gain a few percent moisture just leaving in sealed up for a few days

We all been there thats why I dry on the stem now

If you still have some of the main stalk and stems they hold moisture for a long time. Put some pieces in the jar if you still have any. Hope this helps.

how can I rehydrate and not jeopardize my cure process,
This happens a lot and many of us have experienced it at one time or another. I had a similar experience and know that those fans can cause trouble very fast. Otherwise I have had a few plants that were dried for too long before going into jars.

Everything mentioned so far should help. The one I use is cutting pieces of stem and putting those in the jars along the lines of what @stinker mentions. I go so far as to cut up some stems to pieces that nicely fit pint jars and keep them in the freezer. The leaf tip from @Bigjake8 would be the same sort of thing. And I have noticed the pulling of moisture from the existing stems and trapping it in the jars that @Fenderbender mentions does come into play.

No matter what I have the feeling that the damage has already been done if we can look at our harvest and start to think we let it dry too long. I figure there is no being able to go back or fix it 100% no matter what.

I'm willing to bet they will be pretty moist again the next day.
I thought mine had over dried - jarred it up - next day the hydrometer read 85% - shit back out of the jar and onto a rack!! I now have it in a paper bag and watching it closely!! :hmmmm:

I thought mine had over dried - jarred it up - next day the hydrometer read 85% - shit back out of the jar and onto a rack!! I now have it in a paper bag and watching it closely!! :hmmmm:
Exactly, that's what I thought after only 4 days of drying by the OP there will be still enough moisture inside, seal it up overnight and check it and then yes you could re-rack em again.

Actually it's kinda the way I dry as for some reason my place is very dry, and drying buds goes quickly they feel crunchy in just a couple of days instead of low & slow over two weeks, so I then put them in the jars which gets them moist again and then just leave them in there but lid open and shake well a couple of days until they feel dry enough to close the lid and just burp them everyday.

racks can be crap for drying unless you have the conditions for it. hanging the plant whole can be better under drier conditions. racks are good if the ambient humidity is at or above the recommended 62%.

at 50% or under i always hang the plant whole. it will allow for a longer hang period to reduce chlorophyll and harshness. hang time can be lessened if you face very dry ambient rh. i've had hangs at 3 days or slightly under. the important thing is to get it in to the jars before too dry. the cure and burping process is more important than the hang.

i never use an extractor fan when i hang unless the ambient rh is above 60%. my extractor does not have a variable adjustment. i would probably use it more if it did.

i will use small 6 inch circulation fans under the hanging plants. never point the fans direct at drying plants if it can be avoided. as the plant dries i will discontinue the fans to slow the process.

if worried about being over dry at jar, i will save some of the stalks, and add them to the jars. they dry last, and usually have enough left in them to bring the rh in the jar back up to a level decent for burping. be careful if you use stalks, as they will work against you if they are too dry. stalks should be removed as soon as the rh in the jar hits a stable 62% or if it climbs above.

you can use celery stalks etc to rehydrate to a degree, but it will not bring anything back as far as terps / cure is concerned. you need to be super careful as it can rehydrate quick and mold fast. rehydrating weed often makes it worse when it has gone too far. it is usually best to jar it up with a boveda and let it sit.

boveda packs can help but they are not meant to rehydrate or bring overly wet weed down. they are a tool to keep the weed stable long term. they are a help for the cure and burp, especially for newer folk. a lot of us older guys will gripe that bovedas take the flavor/ terps out a bit. there is some truth to it, but it's not a deal breaker.

Newbie question
I only grow a few autos each time, lack of space as well it's enough or me lol
But confused with all this dry/wet moist etc.
When there ready I hang till their dry, any leaves I take off at time or during growth I dry between some kitchen roll and pressed in a book ! The get ground up and added to the jar. Don't waste anything lol .
When the hung buds etc are ready ground and added to the jar.
Results are great !
I appreciate ways of doing things change over the years (I'm in my 60's ) but would like to understand the reasons ta!

Newbie question
I only grow a few autos each time, lack of space as well it's enough or me lol
But confused with all this dry/wet moist etc.
When there ready I hang till their dry, any leaves I take off at time or during growth I dry between some kitchen roll and pressed in a book ! The get ground up and added to the jar. Don't waste anything lol .
When the hung buds etc are ready ground and added to the jar.
Results are great !
I appreciate ways of doing things change over the years (I'm in my 60's ) but would like to understand the reasons ta!
Have you ever temporarily lost a bag? When found, it would light like paper and had harsh bite with no good flavor left? That was over dried. Too wet you can't get it to light, harsh chlorophyll flavor and it can grow mold. There is a pretty wide moisture range for smokable but it gets narrower when you are planning to store for any length of time. Placing in a jar to cure draws out the chlorophyll so you get the terpene flavors and a smoother smoke.

Don't press the leaves in a book. Any trichome "frost" on them is being transferred to the kitchen roll. Trim off any leaf tips with no frost because it is just plant matter. Generally the base of the leaves have the frost. Leave them to hang dry on the plant. Leaves are best used to make oil/butter for edibles if you don't want to waste.

Have you ever temporarily lost a bag? When found, it would light like paper and had harsh bite with no good flavor left? That was over dried. Too wet you can't get it to light, harsh chlorophyll flavor and it can grow mold. There is a pretty wide moisture range for smokable but it gets narrower when you are planning to store for any length of time. Placing in a jar to cure draws out the chlorophyll so you get the terpene flavors and a smoother smoke.

Don't press the leaves in a book. Any trichome "frost" on them is being transferred to the kitchen roll. Trim off any leaf tips with no frost because it is just plant matter. Generally the base of the leaves have the frost. Leave them to hang dry on the plant. Leaves are best used to make oil/butter for edibles if you don't want to waste.
Grown indoors, never " lost a bag" sorry, cured and dried inside keep an eye with a moisture meter etc. Once dried it's milled, put into a kiln jar. Lids only off when I'm rolling , not that often once or twice a month! I use it as medication tbh ( clinical depression) Dr fully aware ( UK) bless her !
Leaves are left to dry a day or two then pressed yep using kitchen roll! No issues for years! Newbie wise I am but when I look back at where I got my stuff from back in the '70's grown on a veranda 5 stories up in the open, back then buds weren't smoked I'm guessing used other ways it was leaves or resin .
Oh I leave the buds to dry on the stem then grind them mixed in with the leaf. No problems with keeping alight, other than me getting half way thru and enjoying the scenery
Works for me! I use a small amount of tobacco anorl !

back then buds weren't smoked I'm guessing used other ways it was leaves or resin
I chopped a branch and dried it in the microwave once when I was young and impatient. It worked,,,ish, but definitely not something I would do again or recommend. Microwaves were a new thing and I didn't now it would catch on fire. It all works but the quality you get out may vary.

So you only had leaves and resin in the UK in the 70s? I had bud from all around the world back then. Now I feel bad for not sharing. :passitleft: I was a social smoker, then nonsmoker for a few years, now medical smoker.

I chopped a branch and dried it in the microwave once when I was young and impatient. It worked,,,ish, but definitely not something I would do again or recommend. Microwaves were a new thing and I didn't now it would catch on fire. It all works but the quality you get out may vary.

So you only had leaves and resin in the UK in the 70s? I had bud from all around the world back then. Now I feel bad for not sharing. :passitleft: I was a social smoker, then nonsmoker for a few years, now medical smoker.
In my world that is! I expect people were using them somewhere lol yeah tried the microwave over did it should've breathed in as I opened the door 😂

I understand that of course, I have a stupid question, but please tell me, when drying in the microwave emits a lot of odor?
The thing is, I have a bit of an unusual situation, I'm in a place right now where I have to share a kitchen with other people. I've had the idea of using the microwave, but I'm afraid the smell will be very strong and I'd really hate for anyone to find out about it.

It boils the liquids, so it really stinks. It is like an industrial vape. I stopped by my moms house because it was on the way and she had just bought her first microwave. First it steamed, then it caught fire. I opened all the windows and doors. Lit paper plates and paper towel to help cover the smell. To this day she will not put a paper plate in the microwave because they catch fire in there.

DO NOT MICROWAVE BUD!

Back
Top Bottom