Pat and Edge's Unknown/AK/Lowryder#2 Grow - 2010

Decided to cut the affected part of the leaf off. Still not sure what it was...

Can't really see that spot real well, but maybe...where you misted and put them back under the lights...water can act like little magnifying glasses and make a spot of too much light and it bleaches/burns the spot.

Careful of putting your girls under bright light when you mist them.

If that isn't it, then not sure. :smokin:

I personally cut any leaf cancer off as it will spread, but a healthy plant just heals the seam of a clean cut and keeps growing. :rollit:

:peace:

Updates for tonight... 3/25, day 21
First a good shot of the bin...
Bin1.jpg

Height Shots...
Abby
AbbyHeight.jpg

Kate
KateHeight.jpg

Ziva
ZivaHeight.jpg

And a clickable closeup of Kate that I thought was a nice shot...

Thanks for the input all, and MountainHigh, I think the water magnifying effect is exactly what happened. Not sure if DiemandEdge mentioned this on the board, but he told me the plants are starting to get a bit fragrant. Sadly I cant confirm, lost my sense of smell to dain bramage. If my grow-buddy says they smell though, they most definitely smell. Is that a milestone of any kind?

I am sure it isn't bad news :grinjoint:. Sadly I don't know...my BB Cheese smells when I rub it a bit or move it. But my Pineapple Express and The Church, not so much yet and they are shaggy dogs...might be strain specific.

Some people like super strong flavored weed and others don't...I am of the liking good medicine variety...flavor is a bonus. Like my little girl Tess (hermi bagseed bitch that she was...:rip:) has an amazingly strong cherry/berry flavor...I am letting it cure and hoping it mellows, terpene overload...you open her jar and whamm face O CHERRY. And I think the terpenes are making her smoke a bit harsh, so I hope she mellows. I am not smoking her for a month again. Cured I am hoping for an amazing treat after the abuse she put me though...:ganjamon:

:peace: you two.

Hey Mt, I was checking your journals and was wondering, is it too early for us to start LST? Im not too sure on the techniques, but it looks like just lightly tying the plant down... Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I'd be thrilled if our bagseed buds looked half as good as the buds from your journals.

Well the additional lights seem to have the box running hot, sometimes hitting 100 degrees F. Its a little excessive but the plants seem to be just fine.

Planning on adding more ventilation, probably a fan exhausting out the top, in addition to the side exhaust fan.

Also keeping in mind that they are starting to give off a slight odor, a carbon scrubber should be established fairly soon for good measure. I have seen specs for a homemade one made out of activated carbon (of which I actually have some) some furnace filters and a tube. Want to get maximum effectiveness out of minimal investment.

Overall the plants are responding very well to the lights, Ziva, who was standing at about 4-4 1/2" yesterday is peaking at 6 1/2" today (not all stem, partly from the leaves standing up taller). So things seem to be going well.

Can't wait to see what they yield!

:yummy:

You could let them get a little bigger if you want or start now. Most people wait a bit, I am a whole hog LSTer...my girl's bend is an inch or so above the ground. Either way, it is pretty simple.

1. You tie an anchor loop to one side of the pot and around her stalk near where you want the bend to happen. Don't pull her with this one, just tight enough to hold her in place right there.
  2. From the opposite side of the pot pull her just short of a 90 degree bend, be careful not to overpull if she don't wanna...you will feel her tighten up right before she snaps....this is bad:ganjamon:. Might take you pulling a top off before you really know the tension. It happens.
  3. Tops will come from the lower nodes as they are promoted, think ahead what you want to do with the first two tops, if it is like my plant those will become what I call primaries. The plant will thicken them up more than others and direct energy into them....I let the primaries stretch a bit, then pull them over again.
  4. As I pull the primaries I start to spiral them around the pot. Every primary you allow will throw tops when you pull her down again.
  5. Here is my rule for fan leaves now. I don't cut them unless they are pointed straight down...takes along time for them to ever become useful again and the plant can take that time and energy and use it making new fan's up top. I also remove any foliage below the LST that has no hope of plowing its way through the foliage...that is not many though so do not overthink it. (They will be slow growing, lighter colored and usually lower number of fingers on the fans as the plant just didn't really care if it lived or died, so why should I? :grinjoint:)
  6. Smoke after LSTing, not before...:ganjamon:.
Those are my rules I follow for LSTing....for good or ill.

:peace: you two. Hope that helped some.

Mountain-
Awesome LST guide. Very detailed and informative. I can't wait to begin. Just so I'm clear, you like to start your bend about 1" up from the soil? I'm sure its going to take some practice to do it well but I've got high :ganjamon: hopes.

Update-
When I woke up this AM, I could smell the plants even more. Alas, after checking apparently Abby's leaves had stood up more straight, bringing it too close to the light and singed the edge of two leaves, causing the smell. Not that badly but enough to make me tear up slightly... I raised the lights s'more for good measure. And I think I will be trimming the affected bit of leaf off as well.

More to come! Time to :rollit:

Peace!

Did some measuring and estimating, all in all considering the height of the cab, the size of the pots and the amount of space the lights need, there will be just under 22" of vertical height for the plants to grow into, with almost 16" of horizontal space.

LST is going to maximize the potential of this grow.

Mountain-
Awesome LST guide. Very detailed and informative. I can't wait to begin. Just so I'm clear, you like to start your bend about 1" up from the soil? I'm sure its going to take some practice to do it well but I've got high :ganjamon: hopes.

Update-
When I woke up this AM, I could smell the plants even more. Alas, after checking apparently Abby's leaves had stood up more straight, bringing it too close to the light and singed the edge of two leaves, causing the smell. Not that badly but enough to make me tear up slightly... I raised the lights s'more for good measure. And I think I will be trimming the affected bit of leaf off as well.

More to come! Time to :rollit:

Peace!

I hate when I let them stretch into the lights. I have to move my lights today or I will have the same problem...just fed my BB Cheese her last grow nutes before putting her into bloom and she is going crazy.

I cut off the damage when I mess up like that. Leaf cancer (dead parts) spreads and will kill a whole leaf...no point in letting it.

And yeah I start my bends at about an inch above the soil.

Were going with the Roots Organic line of Buddha Grow and Buddha Bloom. We bought a gallon of spring water from the local convenience store and mixed some nutes in with that, we went for the smaller end of the suggested dose. Theres a spring near me that charges a quarter ($0.25) for about 1&1/3rd gallon of fresh springwater, so cost isnt an issue there. Were keeping a fresh sprayer of regular water for light mistings and the occasional soaker, with the nuted water being used sparingly every 8 or 9 days. Thanks for asking! I, too, dislike having to read EVERY single post, looking for info that might or might not be there.

Im probably gonna LST one of the plants tonight, FIM another, and leave the third be, just so I can get an idea of the benefits of each technique. Abby, Kate, and Ziva are all just bagseed, so Im not too worried about possible losses.

Mods...If possible I'd like to summarize at least once per thread page. Nothing major, just a few lines with the basics of the grow. Will this be a problem? Idk if it'd be considered spamming or over-bumping or whatnot. I'll do it all myself, just wondering...

Have you ever tested the water from your tap? My water is around 30 ppm so I don't bother with bringing in special water. Even if the price is right it can become somewhat of a hassle having to purchase all the water your plants are drinking. I've heard a lot about how chlorine is bad for plants, however it is one of the nutrients that they need for strong growth. My buddy has been growing for 15 years and he has never had a problem using tap water. It all depends on your area though. Good luck on the grow.

High guys! I just stumbled onto/into your grow and I must say I'm very impressed! :bravo:

We might be selling the farm in the next couple of years and I could end up in a motor home for the duration of my veg period! lol Not to say that that wouldn't suit me just fine but a nice little grow cab like yours would fit in a corner somewhere for sure! :thumb:

IMHO I would cease and desist the misting. I only mist clones that are not under a dome or plants that I've neglected to water and are drooping badly. I always have very low humidity where I live and all low humidity does is cause your plants to transpire more water. This equates to using lower nute feedings as low humidity can cause nute burn even at lower levels. Just think of it as low RH=faster uptake of water and nutes, high RH=slower uptake of water and nutes. So in a low RH situation you would want to use lower levels of nutes as your plant's demand for water would draw up too high a level of nutrients for the light and CO2 available to be utilized for plant growth. Conversely, with high RH a higher level of nutes are needed to compensate for the slow uptake of water. As your plants develop more leaves the humidity of your cab will increase proportionally with the increased leaf surface area and transpiration rate.

I kind of wonder if one might be better off if the bottom of your tub could be filled with your soil mix and eliminate the need for individual waterings of the pots. Should a plant need to be removed such as a male or hermie showing up a cheap re-potting scoop is available at most garden shops but a bread knife works just fine to carve out a root-ball. A small drain valve could be installed to flush if needed. Just an observation, not a criticism. Come to think of it that's kind of dumb as it would make it much more difficult to LST unless you set anchor points in the bottom of the tub before adding soil. Makes me go Hmmmm . . .

Like usual I'm rambling on but all-in-all I really love your grow and I'm looking forward to watching it progress! :popcorn: :cheer:

+Reps for the both of you! :bong:

FIM'ed Abby and LST'd Ziva today... here are pics...
Ziva LST'd... she was gettin tall.
ZivaLST2.jpg

ZivaLST1.jpg

Abby's FIM job, cut by Pat. First FIM attempt
AbbyFIMflash.JPG

AbbyFIM1.jpg

That's all for now. And the coty's are turning yellow, gettin ready to fall off.

Mountain, what do you think of the LST job?

Thanks MountainHigh, hopin to increase yields a couple different ways (assuming they're females, hah.) and find out what works best for our particular situation.

If we dont know what typical veg/flower times are for this plants genetics, what would be the earliest time we could go to flower?(anyones opinion appreciated!) Again, this is bagseed, and our first grow, so we're not aiming for perfection...just aiming to learn!

We now have 3 plants that today, 3/28, are on Day 23 of Veg right now. This has been recalculated by me, who germinated and documented the planting, but until now couldnt find the .txt file on my PC. Shouldn't have tricked myself by naming it sagbeed.txt anyways... burnout....

Abby: FIM'ed by me earlier today. Might've cut to low, who knows.
Kate: Left normal, sort of a test case.
Ziva: LST'd by Edge earlier today ::props on that bro::

Mistakes might have been made. Who knows? We'll update tomorrow or the following day to see how they're doing! Again, thanks to all who offer advice and encouragement.

Update:
Day 23 of Veg for the bagseeds, its only day 5 and 3 fore the AK and the LR. Interestingly, the LR is already bigger than the AK, even though they were planted days apart.

There has been an increase of dead/cancer spots on the mature plants, and I keep trimming the dead stuff off. I am worried about this increase, although it is only maybe a half dozen spots no bigger than 2-4 mm.

The LST'd plant, Ziva, is already bending towards the light. I would like to get the bend lower but this being a first time out I'm afraid to injure the plant. The FIM'd plant, Abby, I haven't seen much difference yet, but I'll be keeping an eye out.

Really curious as to how your plants are gonna end up, side by side comparisons pictures would be sweet...

Why did you decide to FIM your plant and not just top it? Any thoughts on trying to top/FIM your plant again?

Back
Top Bottom