Pat and Edge's Unknown/AK/Lowryder#2 Grow - 2010

Hey P! I've been looking into the HPS as i am new to growing and from what I've read, the 400w with passive air intake can be placed the closest with the most lumens. No, you can't get it as close as a 150 or 250, but you get more lumens from just a couple inches further away. I was reading a chart last night (and will try to find it) that had all of the wattages and the lumens/distance from plant. Looking good btw!

Just caught up the whole journal...babies are lookin good guys.

If the additional fans aren't keeping the temps down, maybe try ducting some a/c into the box (if you have central a/c or a window unit nearby)

Thanks for the suggestion djro.

I've heard that CFLs tend to run hot when first used, for up to a week. Although temps were hitting 100+ degrees F for a time, the bulbs seemed to have cooled down. In addition the second fan added by Patrizio also helped. Its been running steadily in the mid 80s the past few days.

Update on the kids-
Kate is just blowing up. She's nearly 7" tall and 11" wide. If she keeps up at this rate we may have to top her, or at least some minor LST.
Ziva had been tied down a bit more, trying to get her low to the dirt and then twist her, and she is responding. Hard to tell exactly how far along she is cause of the LST.
Abby is filling out, and seems like Pat's FIM job is yielding at least 4 tops. Sweet!
Leia is really REALLY growing quickly, but with a 70 day seed to harvest estimate its not too surprising, yet its still a pleasure to watch her shoot up.
Kebert Xela is growing at her (I'm hopeful) own pace, but is nowhere near as far along as Leia.

Thanks for stopping by!

Hmm...well first off there will be new pictures up later.

On a different note... I just looked in the setup and discovered a little stowaway. However not the worst little friend to have from my research. It was a ladybug, a solitary one but a ladybug nonetheless. Just chillen in there on Abby, hiding under the FIM job. So......any thoughts? BTW I'm not killing the little guy/girl. I'll relocate 'em if he's gonna pose a problem. But I feel lucky that a ladybug just showed up...unless its gonna cause problems. Then she/he is right out.

Aside from that, everything seems good.

No problems they're a gardener's friend.

Upgrades are on the way!

Among the biggest is a dresser for a bigger grow space (probably reserve the existing unit for vegging). Picked this little number up used for $50.
newcab1.jpg

Of the kids, Kate is by far the best looking specimen. I really hope she ends up a girl!!!
kateupclose.jpg

KAte1.jpg

And by popular request here is a side by side!
trio2.jpg

trioside.jpg

triotop.jpg

So, Kate is HUGE in comparison with the other 2 bagseeds, Abby and Ziva. She's got a TON of side growth, more so than I'd believe possible at this early of an age (Planted in dirt 3/5/10). Shes just been getting standard nutes and filtered tap/spring water. All signs point to a female thus far, and we were considering tossing her into flowering a bit earlier than Ziva and Abby. Im impatient, and its only bagseed anyway, so whats the harm really? I figure throwing her into a 36 hour dark in about 10-15 days should be early AND late enough to serve the purpose Im aiming for. Any insights on flowering a 10-12 inch plant? Shes just under 8" now, I figure another week and a half to 2 weeks she'll be in the 12 inch range. Thanks for taggin along!

:cheer:

They just keep growing...its amazing and I feel so proud of the kids.

:slide:

So not too much else to report, but I've got a few pics that show the growth...

Day 20
0325001514a.jpg

Day 26
Day_26b.jpg

Day 31
day313.jpg

More to come! Time to relax...:grinjoint:

OK, well the new cab has been set up with lights, a fan, an LED, a temp/humidity display, a timer and its basically all flat white on the inside. So we may be jumping the gun a bit, but Kate just went into the new cab for 36 hours or so of darkness, then we're pumping her with an LED light and (10) 2700k CFLs, She's got a circulating fan in there with her, blowing on her for the first time in her life. I'll have Pat upload some pics later on.

So here is the latest picture update...
Cab2Unlit.jpg

Cab2Lit.jpg

And with Kate, starting her 36 hour period of dark on day 31/final day of veg...
CabKate1.jpg

And here are a couple pics of Ziva, pre- and post the latest LST...
Before:

After:
ZivaLST4_5.jpg

ZivaLST24_5.jpg

ZivaLSTTop4_5.jpg

And now a couple of Abby...
AbbySide4_5.jpg

The last pic shows where I FIM'ed her, and I think took the meaning literally, and missed the FIM, because it just turned brown and nothing's comin outta there now. But, Abby does seem to have more tops on her than either Kate or Ziva, so maybe it worked in some other way?

Thanks for accompanying us on this journey. We are the pilots, you are the navigators; without you we would be lost, roaming endlessly.

So here is the latest picture update...

Cab2Lit.jpg

The last pic shows where I FIM'ed her, and I think took the meaning literally, and missed the FIM, because it just turned brown and nothing's comin outta there now. But, Abby does seem to have more tops on her than either Kate or Ziva, so maybe it worked in some other way?

Thanks for accompanying us on this journey. We are the pilots, you are the navigators; without you we would be lost, roaming endlessly.

High Guys! Those plants look gorgeous! :bravo:

I see you use that bubble-wrap for reflectors like I do. If I may make a suggestion, how about making a suspended reflector to hang above the lights. Coffee mug hooks in the roof and a light chain to hold up a balsa wood frame with the reflector on the bottom. Mylar would be even better and lighter.

That way you could deflect all the light escaping upwards back to the plants were it would be of more use. AFAIK CFLs give off most of their light from the sides of the bulb and the way you have yours orientated a lot of light could be captured and used with a lower reflective roof.

Your FIM results look like mine after my 2nd attempt with my Baby Sally so either we both F'ed up or we got it! :thumb:

Just a rambling or two. +Reps for the great thread! :bong:

C'ya

:peace:

Awesome idea LabRat, Im gonna get on that pronto. We're a little disappointed at the small space we ended up with, but we'll figure something out so we can squeeze 2 or possibly 3 plants into the new cab. I think the top reflector is key, much thanks and +rep for the idea. The LED is impressive. You cant see a red spot on the cab, but holding my hand 6-8 inches from it you can definitely see a red tone in my skin, that disappears as I move out of the lights spot. Its cool! Cant wait to see how it helps the flowering. Oh, on that note, going to pick up the Roots Buddha Bloom today!

If ANYone can tell Kate's sex based on the pics above, I'd very much appreciate it! We're expecting the magnifying glasses to come in soon, so more updates to come!

Awesome idea LabRat, Im gonna get on that pronto. We're a little disappointed at the small space we ended up with, but we'll figure something out so we can squeeze 2 or possibly 3 plants into the new cab. I think the top reflector is key, much thanks and +rep for the idea. The LED is impressive. You cant see a red spot on the cab, but holding my hand 6-8 inches from it you can definitely see a red tone in my skin, that disappears as I move out of the lights spot. Its cool! Cant wait to see how it helps the flowering. Oh, on that note, going to pick up the Roots Buddha Bloom today!

If ANYone can tell Kate's sex based on the pics above, I'd very much appreciate it! We're expecting the magnifying glasses to come in soon, so more updates to come!

Sorry, homie, there is nothing there yet that would indicate male or female. They both look like that until either you see little white hairs popping out or a small nub that turns into the male clusters. When planting from seed this is the most stressful thing in my opinion, waiting to see whether you've got boys or girls. On my first ones I checked every single day for two weeks straight because some had already showed sex, only to be disappointed on my 4 best plants. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that growing from seed sucks. Seeds are great for starting new strains and stuff like that but clones are the only way to go after you've got a plant established. All female all the time guranteed.

Well I'm hoping that after a day and a half in the dungeon and possibly 2 or 3 more cycles, plus some Buddha Bloom nutes will help encourage Kate to show sex. This IS the first time either me or Edge have grown far enough to get into veg, so I dont know what to expect really. Well, gonna figure it out as we go; thats why we started with bagseed.

On another note, would this be a good time to grab a clone off Kate? I know she might end up a dude, but if not I'd like to keep this strain going (if its good). I'd hate to harvest and smoke it, have it be bomb stuff, and not have any way to get more.

Take a clone. If the plant turns out to be male you're not out much.

Kate has been awakened from her slumber. She's a full two inches taller. Surprising what a day and a half of darkness will do. So she is geared up for 12/12. Have a couple of minor adjustments to make to the setup, but overall things are in great shape.

More to come!

You could take a clone after it shows sex too. As they start to go into flower they're geared to flower and root production. If you stick it under 24 hour light it will revert to veg pretty quick. A little 23W 6500K CFL in a box is all the grow room it would need until it roots and reverts to veg. Then you just grow it like any clone. As it reverts it will start off with single bladed leaves then the next set will have three and so on until it gets the same amount of blades as the mum.

Just a thought. :bong:

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom