PB's Persistent Pot Condo: Established 2019

IMG_20200627_142155657_HDR.jpg

I've been really enjoying 420magazine and it's forums, thank you all for your mistakes! I'm learning so much from your successes and failures and recoveries, I can't imagine how far back I'd be along in the process without you. So since it seems to be the proper 420mag etiquette to also share my successes and the mistakes I'm still making despite your help, welcome to my first grow journal!

Strain: LA Confidential feminized photoperiod from seed – gifted, came from hermie (?)
Variety: Indica 100% I think
Stage: Veg
Days: 38 on black felt pot, 24 days on denim bags (yes I made those I had some time on my hands)
Medium: Soil, some started in plain jane Miracle Grow potting, replanted in Jiffy All Purpose Potting Mix
Pot Size: black felt pot 3.5ish, denim bags 2.5ish
Air Cooled: No
Room Temp: 74 – 78 degrees
RH: 50% ish
PH: 7ish - no pen yet, pool tester kit that goes to 6.8 and magic soil wand that reads right on 7
Pests: No (knocks on wood)
Watering schedule: As needed, by weight and visually, every 2 days or 3 days. Water is well water, PH right at 7, I put 4 tablespoons of vinegar per gallon to home remedy the PH as best I can, I'm guessing resulting in mid 6's.
Ferts: Fox Farms Grow Big, Big Bloom, Wholly Mackerel, eventually Tiger Bloom...full strength mix, cut with water at varying percentages based on what bug is up my butt at the moment every other feeding (too much probably). I can get it at the grocery store that's why I decided on Fox Farms. I also picked up on clearance a bottle of Black Magic Cal/Mag.

These plants started from seed, the oldest plant under a McGruber deal (desklamp, 65w incandescent), the 3 younger under a used Viparspectra Par450 (dimmable model, like I need more options to ponder) for $130 which is spec'd at 202w at the wall. I've since added a couple of cheapo's to help with my next grow (4 adults, 12 plants in MI woohoo!). Those are Afbest 300's which say they pull 150 at the wall, I haven't verified that though. I know they are bright as crap...noisy compared to the VP450, but I don't mind I'm a IT guy, I got fans blowing all over the place. With the closet closed I can't even hear them over my computer. Anyway I'm always on a razor thin budget and I needed more light, $11 bucks a piece my gosh I can't go wrong!

I've basically beat the crap out of these plants since they were old enough to bend. I'm totally obsessed and am constantly bending and tying and tucking and moving them where I want them. Three have been topped, one fimm'd, probably in the wrong place at the wrong time. The big light started too close I think so that slowed development down, they are at about 30” above now to try and get some stretch which is happening a bit. Light cycle has been settled on 20/4 after some variations (another variable to change too quickly yay!). Two of the four are pretty weak and odd genetically it seems to me, (bit of deformation, definitely stunted growth, odd growth patterns) but I figured what the hell I'll flesh them out. They aren't doing as well as the others and are prone to tacoing but eh, what they'll be they'll be. Everyone seems pretty happy despite me! The oldest plant is about 8" tall from the soil, other three are around 6".

I'm ruminating now on how and when I should go to 12/12 in my space properly as I can't afford a tent atm and I have a second set of seedlings going. My last top was just a day or so ago, so I figure I have two weeks minimum to decide and maybe come up with a new room and more light.

That gets us current, thanks for looking in and cheers!

Here are my girls as of 3/6:

And here's how the closet is set up:

A closer look at the lights:

Looks good sir! Trick with the space blankets is to have them stretched and as tight as possible. That’s what I used for my tent as well, had to get it built in a pinch, and so far it works awesome. I will, be switching to some panda film here down the road though. A sturdier more permanent material that reflects 100% of the light back towards the plant and not lose any through the material. Just food for thought. Looking good!

I will be sure to try and go vote for you, just not right now as I’m a lil busy.

Here’s a picture of my past two plants when they were still in veg, also before I put them in 5 gallon cloth pots. Wow that’s an older picture then I thought lol
That's a nice setup

Good suggestion @Backlipslide it's already feeling a bit stuffy in there. Don't laugh at my door!

Like I said it ain't pretty but it's still awesome! I didn't show you my supplimental lights either did I? 138 more watts! I used 2 5000k and 1 2700k cfl in each fixture, which I picked up for 2 dollars each for the fixtures and a buck a piece for the lights!

Question! How did you make your cardboard to block light proof? Does any light leak through? I need to figure how to turn one big room into 2 rooms. What's the best way to go about making two rooms having only brick room?

It does leak through @Oz3 but it's all built inside a existing room which I close door to and do not light. I just use the light from he grow rooms and try to stay out of there during lights out. It's by no means entirely light proof, but it's pretty dang dark in there and I'm a bit of a "that's good enough"er. I get some herman issues from time to time from genetics and my laziness in general, I imagine I'd reduce that chance by a touch if I were more diligent but many more girls turn out just fine so I don't sweat it. Thanks for stopping in!

It does leak through @Oz3 but it's all built inside a existing room which I close door to and do not light. I just use the light from he grow rooms and try to stay out of there during lights out. It's by no means entirely light proof, but it's pretty dang dark in there and I'm a bit of a "that's good enough"er. I get some herman issues from time to time from genetics and my laziness in general, I imagine I'd reduce that chance by a touch if I were more diligent but many more girls turn out just fine so I don't sweat it. Thanks for stopping in!
Yea i figured. I really wasn't trying to lay block but it wouldn't take much of em at all.

Yea i figured. I really wasn't trying to lay block but it wouldn't take much of em at all.
I had some metal studs and drywall from building out the basement, just started knocking it together!
What you make dabs or wax?
Bubble hash...stuff puts me to sleep but my buddies love it!

OMG hash refuse stinks if you let it linger...but it could be beneficial if you have seeds in your shake! Pulled these from a big gob of old wet clippings.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_090629057_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200703_090629057_HDR.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 23
Happy Independence Day farmers! How bout a full on PBPC update!? Actually things are a bit scattered, how bout some encouragement for some folks rockin the economy class.

These little firecrackers are the tops off that monster Bruce Banner #3 auto! That's 88 watts of full on 3000k above them.

IMG_20200704_101707295_HDR.jpg

Here's the vipar reflector 300's...them are some stiff nugs, these girls are tired!

IMG_20200704_102007894_HDR.jpg

We share here at PBPC, here's some new girls with the old...Mara Hydro 300s and 600

IMG_20200704_102411179.jpg

And lastly old faithful...my VP Par450. Such a great light! This guy is good for 2-3oz no sweat!

IMG_20200704_102423008.jpg

I really need some bud hangers and better fans. These big tops like to droop! If that's my worst problem though I'm doing just fine! CHeers y'all have a great day! :yahoo:

Rotation’s looking good, bassman. Envying the multiple spaces you have.
OMG hash refuse stinks if you let it linger...but it could be beneficial if you have seeds in your shake! Pulled these from a big gob of old wet clippings.
Did you plant them? They look like mung sprouts. I hope you put them in a salad if they didn’t get planted ;)

Thanks ST! It's not my best work but it is certainly sufficient for keeping up with my just about a ounce per gallon ratio.
I'll tell you my biggest problem is just getting the time to get in there and water! I've been pushing the limit of "dry as the desert" recently. Wiped out half those sprouts and two clones in rockwool that just got potted. The soil really sucks the moisture out of that rockwool! It's no biggy though, you know growing weed is like Doritos, we'll make more!

Issues needing improvement:

1) My nutes aren't dialed in just right and I haven't bought a fresh bag of soil in months so the reused stuff is getting pretty ragged...the uptake isn't perfect and the girls are leaving some moisture in the pots...especially in one finicky strain! Everyone tends to get a bit crispy and droop at the end also.

2) I need to practice better popcorn removal and thinning trims in general..but all those bud sites look so cute I often can't bring myself to chop them! I know I can get fatter tops if I do.

3) It's running warm in there right now, like 87 so that's not helping either! Fan action is all they get though, they'll just have to tough it out till fall.

4) Ants and thrips, ants and thrips...ants...thrips. I've got the upper hand, but they keep sending reinforcements! I'm going to let the pot condo dwindle down while I brew some bigger veggers elsewhere, a good cleaning is in order. I'm pretty sure I must have something related to thrips throughout my home, I see little bugs scurrying about on the white window sills and such. Gonna have to look into something for that...

Thanks for checking in, one more thing I'm not keeping up on...I need to get out and see how my farmer friends are doing more, I hope your gardens are all raging!

Thanks ST! It's not my best work but it is certainly sufficient for keeping up with my just about a ounce per gallon ratio.
I'll tell you my biggest problem is just getting the time to get in there and water! I've been pushing the limit of "dry as the desert" recently. Wiped out half those sprouts and two clones in rockwool that just got potted. The soil really sucks the moisture out of that rockwool! It's no biggy though, you know growing weed is like Doritos, we'll make more!

Issues needing improvement:

1) My nutes aren't dialed in just right and I haven't bought a fresh bag of soil in months so the reused stuff is getting pretty ragged...the uptake isn't perfect and the girls are leaving some moisture in the pots...especially in one finicky strain! Everyone tends to get a bit crispy and droop at the end also.

2) I need to practice better popcorn removal and thinning trims in general..but all those bud sites look so cute I often can't bring myself to chop them! I know I can get fatter tops if I do.

3) It's running warm in there right now, like 87 so that's not helping either! Fan action is all they get though, they'll just have to tough it out till fall.

4) Ants and thrips, ants and thrips...ants...thrips. I've got the upper hand, but they keep sending reinforcements! I'm going to let the pot condo dwindle down while I brew some bigger veggers elsewhere, a good cleaning is in order. I'm pretty sure I must have something related to thrips throughout my home, I see little bugs scurrying about on the white window sills and such. Gonna have to look into something for that...

Thanks for checking in, one more thing I'm not keeping up on...I need to get out and see how my farmer friends are doing more, I hope your gardens are all raging!
Dude don't worry about having too dry of soil at times. I think that's actually good for them. I like my soil to completely dry out before I water them most of the time. Just have to read your plant.

Dude don't worry about having too dry of soil at times. I think that's actually good for them. I like my soil to completely dry out before I water them most of the time. Just have to read your plant.
You sound like me. I also need to remove my popcorn shit next time. I hate that shit underneath. It disappoints my grow to myself. Agh. I got a lot of that shit to!

Dude don't worry about having too dry of soil at times. I think that's actually good for them.
It's definitely good for them...till its not! Ask me how I know lol! I find it isn't beneficial to the flowering process to let them get so dry as I do in veg, and I often do.
It disappoints my grow to myself.
I'm too old to be able to disappoint myself any more than I already have and a few crispy weed plants and extra shake must not bother me too much, because I never fix it! Actually I've started to just let the real small stuff go in with my hash clippings. Nothing wasted! I wonder what I should do with all these stems...

Hiyall just wanted to pop in and say hey! Oh man I been so busy with work. My tops are crispy and popcorn popping all over. Here's a top from one of those Brice Banner auto mini me's. They definitely filled out better! CHeers y'all have a great day! :yahoo:
IMG_20200715_233058913.jpg

Hiyall omg PBPC is a stumble bumble! We're doing good but whew it's crazy town! Hope you are all well! I did catch this just in time! CHeers y'all happy day to you! :yahoo:

IMG_20200806_192031153.jpg

Back
Top Bottom