Philly's Guerrilla Grow

Had the same problem on previous grows, running into old grows and grows in progress. That's the thing, if it looks like a good place to grow then chances are other growers are thinking the same thing.

Luckily the area I currently grow in has a lot of dense gorse and is a put off to any grower, I wasn't going to grow in this area myself because of the dense gorse and seemingly lack of grow spots, it took me a few trips and I had to look really hard to find spots, I only persisted because I was running out of time, I was getting desperate, and there was no option B. I had to find spots in this area or I had nowhere to put my plants.
Just watch out there's drones around now 🤣

Yeah I might have to try something, I'll look into some predator urine for wild pigs.
Are your wild pigs there naturally as in there from before humans started to settle the area? Or are they like around here where the wild pigs are several generations removed from domesticated farm hogs which escaped their pens. Within several generations these wild pigs are like the large wild pigs in the old forests of Europe and nothing like the pigs on a farm.

There are now herds of wild pigs taking over on public and private lands all over the US. Not sure that they have any major predators that they are afraid of. A pack of wolves might be able to take down a solitary pig but if the pigs are in a group they probably will do some major damage to the wolf pack before the fight is over. Those things are fighting machines and not the cute Porky Pig of cartoons.

Are your wild pigs there naturally as in there from before humans started to settle the area? Or are they like around here where the wild pigs are several generations removed from domesticated farm hogs which escaped their pens. Within several generations these wild pigs are like the large wild pigs in the old forests of Europe and nothing like the pigs on a farm.

There are now herds of wild pigs taking over on public and private lands all over the US. Not sure that they have any major predators that they are afraid of. A pack of wolves might be able to take down a solitary pig but if the pigs are in a group they probably will do some major damage to the wolf pack before the fight is over. Those things are fighting machines and not the cute Porky Pig of cartoons.
Have you Seen this 😁

The wild pigs were introduced by humans to this country a couple of centuries ago, they are big black and hairy and look nothing like domesticated pigs, I had one in my grow area last season, I couldn't see it but I could smell it.

The wild pigs were introduced by humans to this country a couple of centuries ago, they are big black and hairy and look nothing like domesticated pigs, I had one in my grow area last season, I couldn't see it but I could smell it.
The way I understand it the genetic make-up that gives up the domestic pigs that we are used to seeing is recessive and the dominant genes that will revert the pigs to wild boars only takes a couple of generations.

The way I understand it the genetic make-up that gives up the domestic pigs that we are used to seeing is recessive and the dominant genes that will revert the pigs to wild boars only takes a couple of generations.
Are those related to the Russian boars we hear about or is that that different lineage?

No update today because I didn't visit the grow site like I was planning. Something came up.

I was going to put some more slug bait down today, however I put quite a bit down 9-10 days ago and I'm relying on that to kill off all the slugs and snails before the bait dissipates, not a risk I'd like to take but I really can't visit today.

It's a 40 minute drive to get to the area then another 40 minutes to walk to my furthest grow spot, by the time I do the rounds to my different grow spots that's half a day gone, so it's not like just popping out into the backyard to check on the girls.

I thought I had 5 grow spots but I guess I can't count good, I've actually got 6 grow spots.

Spot #1 - 10 plants
Spot #2 - 5 plants
Spot #3 - 6 plants
Spot #4 - 11 plants
Spot #5 - 4 plants
Spot #6 - 4 plants

40 plants in total, although it won't be 40 plants by harvest time.......botrytis, rippers, animals and other unforeseen things will see to that.

As I was saying in my other post, three quarters of the plants had their spots prepped on transplanting day with blood & bone, however there has not been any rain lately to wash it into the soil so I'm hoping whatever is already in the soil will suffice for now.

My next scheduled visit is this upcoming weekend.

No-till is partly just an excuse I give myself for digging small holes because I had a lot of holes to dig and not much time to do it in. But I will do some more research into it.

Someone I know does no till and he spent years getting his soil into the condition it is in now and he grows some really good plants, that's what originally sparked my interest in it.
Try it you'll like it i do it I like it that way inexpensive low overhead 👍

No update today because I didn't visit the grow site like I was planning. Something came up.

I was going to put some more slug bait down today, however I put quite a bit down 9-10 days ago and I'm relying on that to kill off all the slugs and snails before the bait dissipates, not a risk I'd like to take but I really can't visit today.

It's a 40 minute drive to get to the area then another 40 minutes to walk to my furthest grow spot, by the time I do the rounds to my different grow spots that's half a day gone, so it's not like just popping out into the backyard to check on the girls.

I thought I had 5 grow spots but I guess I can't count good, I've actually got 6 grow spots.

Spot #1 - 10 plants
Spot #2 - 5 plants
Spot #3 - 6 plants
Spot #4 - 11 plants
Spot #5 - 4 plants
Spot #6 - 4 plants

40 plants in total, although it won't be 40 plants by harvest time.......botrytis, rippers, animals and other unforeseen things will see to that.

As I was saying in my other post, three quarters of the plants had their spots prepped on transplanting day with blood & bone, however there has not been any rain lately to wash it into the soil so I'm hoping whatever is already in the soil will suffice for now.

My next scheduled visit is this upcoming weekend.
Merry Christmas Amigo :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I visited the plants yesterday and all is going well apart from a few casualties. The plants are small for six weeks old but they got off to a rough start as seedlings and I made a few mistakes but there were lessons learned. This is also a medium sized strain so they were never going to grow into monsters, I can't let them get too big anyway for stealth reasons.

The plants are currently getting an average of 10 hours direct sunlight so I'm happy with that, I chopped down a few gorse bushes that were obstructing sunlight to some of the plants and I did a bit of mulching to cover up that naked soil.

Lost 4 plants in one plot to suspected rabbits, that doesn't really sound like a lot when you have 40 plants but that represents a 10% loss over two weeks, that loss rate is not sustainable so I'm going to have figure out a way to deal with those rabbits.

This particular plant below hasn't been given any fertilizer apart from seaweed liquid at transplanting time and so far it's growing at the same rate as the other plants so I guess there is enough nutrients already in the soil to support it at this stage of it's life. Just out of interest I want to see how it does without fertilizer compared to the other plants so it won't be getting any fertilizer at all.
20240101_125331.jpg

I thought crickets were friendly insects that would take care of any pest insects but according to the internet crickets eat cannabis and I have seen a bit of leaf damage on some of the plants but luckily these crickets are few in numbers and small.
20240101_130453.jpg

All mulched up...
20240101_140227.jpg

This one grew two stalks and it wasn't topped either....
20240101_135425.jpg

I mulched this one after I took the photo....
20240101_130313 (1).jpg

We've got about five weeks of vegging left before we head into flowering so hopefully these girls will grow to a reasonable size by then.

I'm out of town this weekend so next visit will be the following weekend.

Lost 4 plants in one plot to suspected rabbits, that doesn't really sound like a lot when you have 40 plants but that represents a 10% loss over two weeks, that loss rate is not sustainable so I'm going to have figure out a way to deal with those rabbits.
Coyote urine. :thumb:

Coyote urine. :thumb:
I'll have a think about it, coyote urine is expensive here, about double what you'd pay in the US, and I have 36 plants to protect so I'd need quite a bit of it. But I'll keep my options open and won't rule it out.

EDIT: You just gave me an idea. A couple of years ago a rabbit was hanging around one of my plots, so I put blood & bone in a container with holes around the sides and that did keep the rabbit away. Blood & bone is cheap and I don't need much of it, and I just replace it once a week. Hopefully the rabbits stay away until I can visit next with some blood & bone, that will be in 11 days.

I'll have a think about it, coyote urine is expensive here, about double what you'd pay in the US, and I have 36 plants to protect so I'd need quite a bit of it. But I'll keep my options open and won't rule it out.

EDIT: You just gave me an idea. A couple of years ago a rabbit was hanging around one of my plots, so I put blood & bone in a container with holes around the sides and that did keep the rabbit away. Blood & bone is cheap and I don't need much of it, and I just replace it once a week. Hopefully the rabbits stay away until I can visit next with some blood & bone, that will be in 11 days.
Good, except that will attract carnivores so maybe don't bury it so they won't be tempted to dug stuff up. Your own urine can be used as well. Save it up in containers and sprinkle it around all your sites.

Good, except that will attract carnivores so maybe don't bury it so they won't be tempted to dug stuff up. Your own urine can be used as well. Save it up in containers and sprinkle it around all your sites.

Yeah I put the blood & bone in a sealed container with small holes around the outside, that's so rats and mice can't get at it and spill it everywhere, and also keeps the rain out. I'll put 1-2 containers in each plot.

As is usually the case with guerilla growing there is rarely good news to report, the news is usually consistently bad and today is no different. About half of the plants appear stunted, the plants in the photos below are not stunted but are not growing as fast as I'd like them to grow.

Ive grown about a dozen strains in the past and most got to 6-7 feet tall, but these stunted plants are struggling to crack 1 foot. I'm thinking alot of it has to do with poor genetics, I should have purchased Black Domina from Sweet Seeds but I cheaped out and purchased from a bulk seller (Speed Seeds).

The thing about seed banks that sell cheap seeds in bulk is they breed plants for thier high seed yields and not for quality, at least that's what I read somewhere. So let this be a lesson for everyone, don't go buying cheap seeds from bulk sellers.

There are other factors as well like the fact that this is a medium size strain and may need more time vegging to grow out a bit more, maybe?

Also I don't think no-till in bush grows is the way to go, at least not the way I did it - dig a little hole and chuck her in.
Those 1 metre long x 1 metre wide holes I dug in previous seasons really give the roots room to spread out. But like I was saying in a previous post I know a guy that successfully does no-till in bush grows and he worked the soil over a few years and uses cover crop during off season.

Some of the plants have got leaf damage from an unknown pest, the last photo at the very bottom shows the leaf damage if anyone would like to take a guess at what culprit is doing it.

I put some blood & bone in the plots to keep the rabbits away so hopefully that works. Rain forecast for most of next week so the girls are going to get a really good drink.

A helicopter was doing some spraying this morning because it's a forestry block, it carpeted the whole area with a red/orange substance that I'm hoping wasn't herbicide (although it most likely was) because then my plants might be facing a new threat, I'm not sure if forestry herbicide kills cannabis plants?

A few photo's below, apologize for some photo's being poor quality, I didn't double check the photo's. I think the camera lens was a bit smudged.

20240113_072412.jpg

20240113_070654.jpg

20240113_070718.jpg

20240113_073013.jpg

My crudely made rabbit repellent device. It's got blood & bone inside the bottle and a few holes in it.
20240113_081113.jpg

Something has been nibbling on the leaves of some of the plants, not sure what because if it was rabbits I'd assume they'd eat the whole plant like they did last time, no insects on the plants. Slugs/snails maybe? the thing is I thought slugs/snails only like young plants, these are older plants, 8 weeks old.

20240113_081121.jpg

Back
Top Bottom