Planning Future - Need Help

Hidan420

So,I'm planning on getting a complete setup in the next couple of months,and I want to ask you if I can reach my goals giving you this info:

- 120x120x200cm (4x4x6.5) Grow Tent
- SonLight 600w MH for Vegging & 600w HPS for Flowering
- 6 inches VKR Exhaust Fan (460 m3/h) - 6 inches Carbon Filter Can (500 m3/h)
- 6 inches Xtracool Cooltube
- 2 or 3 clip fans or 1 bigger oscillating fan

Now,considering that here where I am,I'm gonna spend around a thousand €,I would like to know if I can return my investment...
Let's say I will put 4 plants in 5 gallons pots each....doing some LST and Topping 2 or 3 times under a 20/4 light schedule for 6 to 8 weeks then flowering...
It will take me 5 months from seed to dried buds (For the first period I think I'm gonna go with seeds then I will see if doing clones), so calculating that I smoke from 30g to 40g (1 to 1.5 oz) a month...I will need at least a 200g ( 7 oz ) harvest to "get out of the game" and do my own ( I do it only for myself ).
I know that there are a lots of variables,but I need to know with a setup like this if I can get this goal.
Here 1 oz cost at least 300€ (10€/gr)...so I think you can understand me if I want to leave and do my own..
If I put 4 plants in this conditions,they must do an average of 1.8 oz per plant at least to get my goal....do you think it can be done considering that I'm not an experienced grower?
Thanks in advance!:Namaste:

There's lots of things to consider. And never forget, that you could get all the way through your grow and the plants turn out to be less than desirable or just plain headache weed. I've had it happen more than once. As for your investment, remember, one grower can spend $10K and end up with a total loss, while another could just throw some seeds along an abandoned roadside, come back in 4 months and harvest a couple of pounds of high quality smoke. That's agriculture for you.

Yes,I know that we can't do safe predictions, but I searched quite a bit of guys with a setup like this and comparing final yield there's an average of 2-3 oz per plant....I don't expect to reach this goal at first try,but I've read some guys pulling even a pound easily with a setup like this...of course they weren't at first try and surely they had some experience behind....I just wanna know if I can reach this goal or if it's pure fantasy for a new grower even if I know that there are lots of variables...

Gotcha.
I'm not directly saying your tent is too small... but every grower I've ever talked with regarding tent size complains that their grow tent is too small.

Ok,I think I've understand....but I'm considering this tent in relation to the lights...bigger tent means bigger lights and bigger yield,but I'm also looking at the bill. I've read that people suggest 1000w in a tent this size but my bill will nearly double. However do you think with this setup I could pull 7 oz? If all goes smooth?

.bigger tent means bigger lights

I disagree. You can use a small light in a large tent... just a matter of how high the light is.
Also, if you do decide later to get stronger lights, you'll have the space to ventilate larger (or multiple!) lights.

However do you think with this setup I could pull 7 oz? If all goes smooth
Your cabinet has the potential to grow more than that.... if all goes smooth.
Grows never go smooth.

I disagree. You can use a small light in a large tent... just a matter of how high the light is.
Also, if you do decide later to get stronger lights, you'll have the space to ventilate larger (or multiple!) lights.

Your cabinet has the potential to grow more than that.... if all goes smooth.
Grows never go smooth.

I guess if I don't try then I will never know....so we'll see! Thanks anyways for the answers!:Namaste:

In my experience, all grow areas are too small. I mean I even built a greenhouse last season and I was out of room in it within a week of building it. The only two places that I've grown and haven't felt confined was in a 30ftx30ft garage that I had all to my plants. And outside.

Learn to gauge the size of your plants at harvest before you plant the seed. It probably sounds like an impossible task at the moment, but you've obviously done some research on the topic, so you have some idea of the size plants that you want to grow. Make sure you leave a little working room inside the tent for at least your head and arms. Maybe even consider leaving a space for you to actually step inside of the tent and be able to work easily. Make sure to leave room for things you might need: fans, ac/dehumidifier, humidifier, a bucket of water, a table to put nutrients on. All of these space stealers need to be considered or you're gunna have a bad time.

I'm growing in a closet that is much smaller than your proposed tent and I make it work so it can be done, but Tead has a point that space is really easy to fill up and it's not fun to be trying to deal with a tent in full bloom that you can barely stick your head into.

Yes,I know what you guys are trying to say! Space is very important too! I think I could go to a 150x150x200cm (5x5x6.5) but this would be the maximum I can go. Do you think when 4 topped flowering plants,a 600w HPS can cover evenly the canopy with some space to work?
I cannot upgrade to 1000w or going with a bigger tent other than this.:thanks:

Yes,I know what you guys are trying to say! Space is very important too! I think I could go to a 150x150x200cm (5x5x6.5) but this would be the maximum I can go. Do you think when 4 topped flowering plants,a 600w HPS can cover evenly the canopy with some space to work?
I cannot upgrade to 1000w or going with a bigger tent other than this.:thanks:

40-50 watts per sqft of growing area is optimum. So 4x4 is about as big as you want to go with a 600 watt. That ends up being 37 or 38 watts per square foot. That would definitely leave you plenty of room to move around in the tent. There would be a foot extra on two sides.

So a 120x120x200cm (4x4) would be a good choice considering 600w? If I'm not wrong with the 150x150x200 (5x5) would be around 24-25 watts per sqft,but the first will fit better in my room,also with more watts per sqft!
Thanks for these advices iwltfum!:Namaste::Namaste:

No problem!

It's kind of a toss up I think. With the 4x4, you will waste some light because of space constraints, and with the 5x5 you will waste some space because you will only want to light a 4x4 area (with a light that size) and you probably won't need 9 extra square feet of walking/working space. Personally I would go with the 5x5 in case you ever want to up the light to 1000 watt, plus extra space to move about is ALWAYS nice.

Cheers :thumb:

I will think well all costs to see if maybe I can go with 1000w....Just to know, all ballasts (SonLight,Lumatek etc) have the universal plug to attach them to the reflector, or it may differs from country to country? Because there isn't a 1000w ballast even online in my country...only bulbs, so if I decide to go with it I'll have to order it from another country and want to make sure to not have unhappy surprises!:thanks:

Just to know, all ballasts (SonLight,Lumatek etc) have the universal plug to attach them to the reflector, or it may differs from country to country?

I'm really not sure. If you order online from a site that sells grow equipment, then you're probably safe, but if you just find a 1000w metal halide for sale in a building supply store or pawn shop or something, then you might not be as lucky. I don't know what is in your area so it's hard to say what you're more or less likely to come across.

IMO the 4'x4' tent will do what you want, but the height will be the biggest limitation.
Allow at least 1' for the pot, 1' for the light itself and 1' for room above it, then another 1.5' between the light and canopy. That totals 4.5'.
That only leaves 2' for the plants and with 4 plants in a 4x4, you don't have much room for training.
Having said that, 2 oz. per plant should be a slam dunk. 4 oz. each is easily do-able.

Why 1' over the lights?

A) I don't grow in a tent
2) I may be overstating it a little, but all lights need space above to hang and for heat dissipation. It might be 8". Some are 18".
iii) Your light could be a little thinner and pots slightly lower, but I use round numbers and plan for worse case.
:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom