Please Advise on Second Micro Grow Proposed Soil Mix

DrPokTok

I'm coming soon to the end of what I'll just call a great learning experience:

Noob Not Doing Very Well

One more week to go on one plant and maybe two on the other.

Anyway, I've decided to go to the KISS principle and do a basic OC+ grow. It is called "weed" after all. While I await some White Widow seeds, here's what I'm proposing to do with remaining NL seed. Any comments would be greatly appreciated in response to the questions in red.

:thanks: in advance.

Germination planned in cup-sized plastic pot:
80% Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix 0.03 0.03 0.03.
Yes, I've read a lot about MG soils but I can't find anything where I live like Pro Mix HX with low ferts except this stuff, or some sandy soil from my backyard. I suppose the sandy soil might be better but, what the hay...

20% Perlite

Tap water pH is 7.5. Runoff test of pH is 6.8. Seems ideal. Is it?

Soil mix planned, in 5 gal clay pot:
80% Pro Mix HP or BX if I can find some. Something with Mycorrhizae and no or very low CRF.
10% Earthworm castings
10% Perlite
150 g OC+
?How much Dolomite, if any?
?How much Epsom Salt, if any? Add to soil mix or in watering?
?1/4 to 1/2 strength GH Flora Bloom for lower N ratio during bloom?

Grow light:
Going outside as long as possible until it gets cold (6 weeks?) then indoors under a 200W CFL.

Looking forward to any feedback anyone is kind enough to share.

Namaste and Metta

Is OC+ Osmocote?
You shouldn't need to add dolomite or epsom to either soil, IMO. You can top dress or water in some epsom if you want/need to later.
PH is a little high, but the Promix will buffer it well enough. I'd use the Promix in the cups too. Seedlings don't need fert's. Flora Bloom could be a good way to finish if you are talking about Osmocote.

Any Sunshine #4 mix available?

If you roll your own soil, it doesn't take much lime. Both peat moss and lime vary quite a bit, but the rule of thumb I use is 1/4 cup lime for each 5 gallons of peat. I mix this 75/25 with perlite and then add some EWC.

If you roll your own soil, it doesn't take much lime. Both peat moss and lime vary quite a bit, but the rule of thumb I use is 1/4 cup lime for each 5 gallons of peat. I mix this 75/25 with perlite and then add some EWC.

That's the stuff right there.... :thumb:

I even went as far as buying a bottle of mycorrhizae to add to my outdoor soil. It's very cheap.

Awesome. Very helpful. Definitely an option. I already have Perlite and Dolomite. Peat is readily available.

What's EWC? I know I'll kick myself when you tell me. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Looking for Mycorrhizae online just now I see I could even add some Azomite. Cool.

I could go back to when I used to be a chemist. I have a digital scale and a pH meter so I could mix small batches and titrate with Dolomite to get to around pH 6.5. Liking this idea more and more!

:thanks:

BWAHAHAHAHA!

"I even have it on my list above", he thought as he tried to kick his own arse.

Definitely going down this road. One more thing though, how about Azomite? The minimum I'd have to buy is 2 lbs for $10 plus shipping and I'd only use a few pinches. Would the benefit outweigh the cost?

Major PITA would probably be better to answer that question. But, cost aside, it wouldn't hurt. PITA may have some ideas about mineralizing your soil too. I've seen journals that used OC+ exclusively. It will flower some nice buds. I tried it before in homemade soil. The plant died though (unrelated to OC+). So, I really can't be of any help on how much to add to the soil. I think the directions only talk of top dressing. I could be wrong on that though. It's been years.

I don't know if it is worth it. I use it, but how to tell just what it added is impossible for me to tell w/o a lot of testing.
IMO, you would want more than a few pinches, but I can't really help with a recommendation as to maximum effectiveness and diminishing returns.

I use it,...

I saw from a post in one of Doc Bud's high brix threads that you were concerned about Azomite toxicity. I reviewed the literature and came to the same conclusion you must have, that it seems safe enough. I've now got some on order and will decide on the addition based on it's specs, gut feel, and Doc Bud's comment that he used to add a pinch in the amount of it you could pick up with chopsticks. I'm only mixing for a total of 10 gal.

To me, trace elements are like vitamins, to be used in very, very small quantities. A quick look at the ingredients told me it has elements in it that OC+ doesn't, and since am not using soil or stuff like OH Micro, I'm going with it for its breadth of mineral composition.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom