Prepping my first DWC questions

My two cents. Root Spa makes a 5 gallon bucket with a blue water level tube. The tube has a thingy inserted in the top that allows you to hook the air pump hose directly to the tube. The water in the bucket gets bubbled with no air stone. When you want to check the water level you just disconnect the pump hose from the pump (or turn the pump off) and the tube fills to show the water level.

These buckets work great. They cut the cost of stones and I've had no algae issues.

Might be something you want to consider buying or making.

My two cents. Root Spa makes a 5 gallon bucket with a blue water level tube. The tube has a thingy inserted in the top that allows you to hook the air pump hose directly to the tube. The water in the bucket gets bubbled with no air stone. When you want to check the water level you just disconnect the pump hose from the pump (or turn the pump off) and the tube fills to show the water level.

These buckets work great. They cut the cost of stones and I've had no algae issues.

Might be something you want to consider buying or making.
That sounds great, I'll check it out, thanks!

So, shopping day today, found a hydroponics store localish.... spent more than I expected but I know what I'm getting, I'll post it all in my new journal once my auto beans arrive.
One question at the moment, instead of rapid rooters I bought some rock wool cubes, what's the process once my bean germinates?
Also waiting for the snail mail to deliver my beans!

So, shopping day today, found a hydroponics store localish.... spent more than I expected but I know what I'm getting, I'll post it all in my new journal once my auto beans arrive.
One question at the moment, instead of rapid rooters I bought some rock wool cubes, what's the process once my bean germinates?
Also waiting for the snail mail to deliver my beans!
if you could return the rockwool and get root riot or rapid rooting cubes . but that's me ….you will need you wash and ph the rockwool ...google prepping rockwool .

if you could return the rockwool and get root riot or rapid rooting cubes . but that's me ….you will need you wash and ph the rockwool ...google prepping rockwool .
Will do, just trying to keep it local, I'd rather give my hard earned money to another person making a go of it than to an online company.
It's just the sole proprietor in me. I'll hit up Google.

Will do, just trying to keep it local, I'd rather give my hard earned money to another person making a go of it than to an online company.
It's just the sole proprietor in me. I'll hit up Google.
I understand ..its just that for germination I have done both and root riot /rapid rooters are what I have found to be the best .

I understand ..its just that for germination I have done both and root riot /rapid rooters are what I have found to be the best .
Yes so I've read and seeing in some journals, and that was the way I was going to go, then I walked into this guy's store 20 minutes from anywhere and he had a full blown not only hydro shop but an almost anything you need to grow cannabis shop and I could not help but appreciate his effort at being a one stop cannibis shop!
After my current contract is completed I'm going back to his shop and buy a tent, carbon filter and fan.
Coincidentally I researched the top 10 affordable hydro nutes for 2019 and this dude had the top 3 in his shop plus some Canadian made products, which unfortunately as a Canadian I never heard of, so it goes, anyways, still waiting for my beans to be delivered.
Ah...I need a bowl...

I prefer both, rr then rockwool. Maybe im jusr awkward lol
not awkward at all brother ...for my clone run in my main this coming round its clones into root riot cubes then into 3x3 or 4x4 rockwool cubes to finish blowing out a dense root zone and into the system they go . I just prefer rr for starting seedlings .

Shopping list update:

Arrived and waiting:
Hydroton balls
Air pump
Air stone
6" net pot lid
5 gallon black bucket
Nutes
Rockwool

Ordered but waiting delivery:
Ppm pen
Tdc/ec/temperature pen
Auto seeds

Items I may need or should have:
H202

Anything missing or should be added as an absolute must?

Yes I've watched a few videos on YouTube, I'm thinking of building my own single bucket, without the water level view tube, its not necessary and may as well just avoid the possibility of alge.

I would highly recommend you doing the fill tube as esp for a dwc single pot it is the way to go esp when the plant gets bigger having to pick it up to check water level is just pointless when the tube does that not to mention u can drain from the tube and fill from it even if u want and can easily pH or adjust ppm from said tube as well it's def the way to go....have you figured out what size of net pot as they have like 5in ones that goes on 5gal or u can cut a lid out on your own and do the lid that way....I use a turkey baster too when I have a dwc as they work great to circulate the bucket for pH and ppm...they are well well worth a groumet, elbow, tube and a zip tie...or general hydroponics has their hydrofarm kits that you can get for under 10 that comes with a tube and a drip ring which is great to have with seedlings and dwc like before the roots have came out the bottom the drip rings work great that way...hope that helps....

I personally like grow stones better over hydroton balls but that's just me I also use rapid rooters for seeds or sometimes not at all and I aqua clone so I use collars for the rest and the clones go directly into my current culture 8in net pots...
I'm not a big fan of rockwool but that's just me you may or may not..I like root riots best for plugs not rapid rooters they are a lil diff the root riots are softer and not so dense but they all work the same pretty much...

Ppm pen
Tdc/ec/temperature pen
Auto seeds
Is your Ppm pen and Tds pen 2 different items? I ask because all ppm is, is a ec measurement that has a multiplication factor applied to it essentially making them the exact same pen. For rockwool I just finished rooting a couple girls in it and my advise wash it very good in ph'd water and give it 3 good shakes to remove excess water but do not squeeze the cube , to water I dipped them in 1-2 cm of water for 2-3 seconds then gave them a gentle yet sufficient shake to get rid of extra water you only want rock wool wet not saturated, as soon as you see good growth on your first real leaves give mega low nutes I use a Ec of 200/.2 (depends on your pen) if using tap water measure the ec before you add anything and use that as 0.

Is your Ppm pen and Tds pen 2 different items? I ask because all ppm is, is a ec measurement that has a multiplication factor applied to it essentially making them the exact same pen. For rockwool I just finished rooting a couple girls in it and my advise wash it very good in ph'd water and give it 3 good shakes to remove excess water but do not squeeze the cube , to water I dipped them in 1-2 cm of water for 2-3 seconds then gave them a gentle yet sufficient shake to get rid of extra water you only want rock wool wet not saturated, as soon as you see good growth on your first real leaves give mega low nutes I use a Ec of 200/.2 (depends on your pen) if using tap water measure the ec before you add anything and use that as 0.
Those pens it was supposed to be pH meter pen not ppm. I'll edit it, and thank you for the rw direction. Much appreciated.

Shopping list update:

Arrived and waiting:
Hydroton balls
Air pump
Air stone
6" net pot lid
5 gallon black bucket
Nutes
Rockwool

Ppm pen
Tdc/ec/temperature pen
Auto seeds

Items I may need or should have:
H202

Anything missing or should be added as an absolute must?
That's supposed to be pH meter pen, not ppm pen. I don't know where the edit option went?
Also that ph meter pen arrived in the mail the other day!

Back
Top Bottom