Radogast: Grow Big Or Go Home

Yes it is....but I wonder how many actually read the breeders notes on the strains they offer. ACE tells people to run it at 11/13 to help prevent reflowering. Supposedly likes lower nitrogen levels as well. I wish I had put her in 2nd run soil honestly but I used all that on the outdoor girls.
It is hard telling honestly. ACE seems to be one of very few breeders that actually offers tips on their strains other than "performs best in SOG or SCROG" "Grows best untopped" "suitable for indoor/outdoor growing".

It is hard telling honestly. ACE seems to be one of very few breeders that actually offers tips on their strains other than "performs best in SOG or SCROG" "Grows best untopped" "suitable for indoor/outdoor growing".
Duke Diamond is another one that really works with his descriptions and will even offer follow on grow advice....well at least before the feds locked him up recently.

I'm going to take a cut off this Golden Tiger and run in it in used soil to see how it compares to the mom. I can tell the mom is in soil thats a bit Nitrogen rich for its liking.

I tried one of his freebies that I got from Seedsherenow. It was SKUSH but no other info was offered. I assume it Skunk x Kush but which Kush who knows. Doesn't really matter at this point as it was a boy and an early flowering boy at that....so he got chopped yesterday. None of my other males are even showing any sacks yet and he was over there popping off already. It was a beautiful plant....just didn't have anything unique smell wise and I don't play around with early popping dudes LOL.

It was a beautiful plant....just didn't have anything unique smell wise and I don't play around with early popping dudes LOL.

Besides a veiled reference to overly eager teenagers, is there a reason you don't approve of early popping dudes as breeders.

FYI: I ran 11/13 flower lights the last few years. It simplifies things.

ACE is the only breeder I trust to give representative THC and terpene reports. Their strains seem to behave as advertised.

Besides a veiled reference to overly eager teenagers, is there a reason you don't approve of early popping dudes as breeders.

ACE is the only breeder I trust to give representative THC and terpene reports. Their strains seem to behave as advertised.
A lot of breeders have mentioned that usually the early dudes are not the best of the bunch. Some wait for the absolute last male to drop pollen. I cannot recall why that is though.

See the answers that Yeti and KB gave you....they are about the same as I can give. Basically its input from the people that have been doing this a long time. Now is there any validity to it.....hell if I know. Might be an experiment worth trying to run in as controlled of a setting as you can get. Something like take 2 cuttings from 4 or 5 different stains and hit one of each with the pollen from an early popper and then hit the other cut with the pollen from a later popper and compare. I generally like to challenge the perceived norm of "don't do's" when it comes to growing.....not sure why I haven't tried this yet.

A lot of breeders have mentioned that usually the early dudes are not the best of the bunch. Some wait for the absolute last male to drop pollen. I cannot recall why that is though.

Yep...lots of old school guys say its a no go....but then again I don't think I have ever heard the reason behind it.

Unless your are trying to reduce flower times, I have read to avoid early flowering males. I have no proof but if they flower early they can indicate being unstable in flowering tendancy. Mostly just internet rumor.

:thumb:

Copied from Katsubluebird's site from the blogs:

From Roz 7/17/2008

There is a trick…more like a technique, that can help in any breeding project.

This information was passed to me (and others) by someone well known to the breeding community, and we were asked not to share it. However if any of you have read the ‘My Best’ thread, you know I am on my way out the door and am passing my best old school genetics around so the ‘new generation’ of breeders and smokers can beneift…as well as my old stoner friends lol.

I have also decided to divulge this information after much consternation and angst, because I am not sure if it will ever become public domain if I do not, and I fully believe it should be. This is/was a very difficult decision to make. But hey, WTF, it is what it is. People who are interested should know. Hoarding information is as bad as hoarding clones.

The first person I know of to use this breeding technique in the MJ world was a man named Nevil Schoenbottom, who passed it to Shantibaba, who passed it to another person who passed it to me(and others). The trick is using what some breeders ‘in the know’ call recessive males.

No one I know of who got this information paid much attention to it, or at least ran with it. The only reason I am different is because I stumbled upon a recessive male by accident but didn’t realize what I had found until after a few crops of outcrossing him and noticing I was getting all the traits I wanted passed to the offspring. I suddenly realized what I had in a rare moment of clarity. As a bonus the dominant traits he passed were increased potency and tighter buds. I think this was just a fluke though.

I am no expert in genetics at all, in fact my knowledge is rudimentary, but this is how it was explained to me.

Recessive males are males that have a large number of double recessive genes for the traits most sought after by MJ breeders. Ie aa as opposed to Aa or AA. If you know something about genetics there should be a light bulb going on right now.

When males that have recessive genes for the traits we want passed from the mother, because they are dominant in the mother they will combine as Aa. ‘A’ from the AA mother and ‘a’ from the father, and express the trait you want to see in all of the F1 female offspring. There will also be males from the offsrping that combine the same way for this trait ie Aa. If these two sibling plants are combined, using P-Squares we can see there will be a certain % which combine as AA and the trait will be fixed by breeding these offspring. This really eliminates a lot of work.

Fine in theory Roz(I hear you saying) but how can I find and identify these males? This is key to the application. This information was never passed to me or the others that were privy to the recessive male concept and is perhaps why no one did anything with it. But I will pass it to you now.

These males can be identified easily in some cases, because unlike dominant males which flower earlier than sibling females the recessive males flower later. In addition, it stands to reason that if Shantibaba uses this technique, these males can be found in larger numbers within his seedstock. So there it is, with apologies to Shanti, Nevil and the person who told me about it.

If you have an in depth understanding of genetics and don’t believe this or consider it anecdotal only, feel free to express those ideas, but I will not argue it with you. I am only passing on what was told to me and found that at least in my case it was true.

Best wishes and best of luck to you all.

Cheers,
R

Omg how exciting... Just got caught up and super impressive

Omg how exciting... Just got caught up and super impressive

you say exciting
I say bupkis

17 days no sprouting seeds.
I had a HUGE mold bloom in the basement.
the red mold is eradicated, black mold is half gone, white mold is going wild.

I credit the mold problem to too much moisture condensing on A/C ducts to main floor combined with poor short circulation.

I had serious trouble breathing due to swollen lymph nodes in my neck. Swelling down, I can sleep in my bedroom again, and I have enough energy to do more than watch TV. The only remaining body problem remaining is swollen feet - all things I’ve never experienced before.

The white mold is worst in the grow room.
i need to A) purchase whole house dehumidifier with a sump pump to keep up with the 4-8 gallons a day of water, B) install exhaust fans And passive air intakes for air exchange, and C) do more bleach spraying and painting to eradicate and block the mold.

Looking at properties For the grow has been on hold due to almost 10 days of unable to gather the energy to leave the house. Today i planted 5 shrubs, chainsawed a small tree, and harvested garden veggies. I feel 95% recovered.

No sir that part does not sound exciting at all and i pray that you recover 100%. Im desperately trying to convince my girfriend that we need to buy 40+ acres up by either min or mi border.. Some days i realy think she contemplates it

Back
Top Bottom